October 24, 2014 | 1670 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Pure Pressed Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 4:26:00 AM More reviews by Sara_1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Finally found a perfect mineral foundation! I used Vichy Aera Teint (discontinued) before, and for the longest time I used La Roche Posay Toleriane Teint Mineral powder. The last one was nice, but it wore off easily and my face got very oily by the end of the day.

I got color-matched for this Jane Iredale foundation at the beauty salon where I bought it. I wear it in Satin.
I also purchased the Handi brush to apply it, which I definitely recommend (the only problem I have with it is that some of the hairs are loose and end up on my face during application. But now that I've washed the brush I feel like this problem has stopped and the loose hairs have been removed).

The foundation covers imperfections nicely, but it is not a heavy coverage. For me this is fine, because I don't have too much to cover - I don't have active acne - just some acne-scarring and large pores I like to cover.
The coverage is very natural and I love how it doesn't feel like I'm wearing make-up.
The best thing is that by the end of the day my make-up is still in place and my skin isn't oily at all. The foundation also doesn't break me out.

EDIT: Lately I felt like this foundation was too heavy on my skin and was breaking me out (no sure if it was because of this foundation though), so I stopped using it. I'm not sure how I feel about it now as I'm scared to start using again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 7:59:00 PM More reviews by zoepaquin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this for six months now as my main foundation. I am happy to have FINALLY found a foundation that works for me and I will be repurchasing when I run out.

My problem with other foundations : I have oily skin on my nose and cheeks. Loose or pressed powder foundations are the only foundation I can wear, otherwise my face turns into an oily mess and I've seen liquid foundations disappear or slide off in a matter of hours (!). I also have redness and huge pores on the aforementioned areas. As you guys might already know, most mineral powders only highlight the pore problem. And, unless I cake powders on to the point where they look, well cakey, powders do not cover up redness completely.

The Iredale pressed powder is a success because it manages to provide some coverage without visually enlarging my gaping pores. It actually reduces their appearance! I wonder if it's due to the dimethicone in it. Regardless, it's the only powder I've tried that achieves this. It also holds very evenly onto my oily skin, provides some oil control (do not expect miracles, but having to blot oil less often sure is nice!), has never irritated my skin, does not make me look made-up and, miraculously, is color-perfect. (I wear it in Satin). Bonus : it's SPF 20, which I like because in the winter here in Canada I forego sunscreen.

If, like me, you are looking for a natural, no-foundation foundation, then you will probably like this. Even after six months of use, I sometimes still marvel mid-application, when it's only on one side of my face, at how the side that it's on looks like bare skin, only better. The inevitable tradeoff is coverage. It's medium coverage at most, can be light to translucent depending on application. It will even out your skin tone but if, like me, you have noticeable red nose/cheeks, they will still seem redder than the rest of your face after using this foundation. But, the level of redness is toned down to a point where I don't think anyone but me notices it.

For everyday use, I've come to accept that I will not look like a cover girl and I am not willing to spend time every morning to put on the necessary primers and concealers to achieve a flawless face. The Iredale pressed powder makes me look loads better with minimal time investment and that's the balance I am looking for.

I use a Lise Watier big round Kabuki brush to apply it. I've also tried a flat foundation brush, like Jane Iredale recommends, but I found it picked up too much product; I had to tap off the excess or else look cakey and this was causing me to loose a lot of this expensive product. The round Kabuki picks up the right amount, provides buildable coverage without loss and, because it's so big, I can do my foundation in a minute or less.

My latest application trick with this : when I want to go extra-polished, I put on just a bit more than I should, and then I use a clean big powder brush to lightly dust off my face until it no longer looks powdery. It's just a few seconds more in my routine and it makes the overall result nicer.

The price is high, sure, compared to other foundations out there, but I feel that spending 60$ for having a really nice face for the better part of the year is actually a bargain. I use it four to six times a week and I believe it will last me nine or ten months. Plus, I hear the refill only costs 40$ since we don't have to repurchase the rather nice, solid-feeling mirror holder it's packaged in.

PS : Wash your powder brushes once in a while! Otherwise all powders will be harder to apply, and oil on the brush might transfer to the powder, which will cause bits of its surface to harden and become unusable.

Bottom line : I love it! I absolutely recommend it, especially if, like me, despite best intentions, you sometimes sleep in your makeup. I do this, even though it's bad, and my skin is sensitive, but with this all-natural mineral foundation I've never had even a single spot as a result of my carelessness.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2014 5:47:00 PM More reviews by pookiedoll80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have extremely acne prone skin and everything makes my face break out. This has not caused any breakouts AT ALL. It has very good coverage, keeps me matte and has good staying power. The only reason I gave it 4 stars rather then 5 is because I'm not sure if this gives me glowing skin. But for everyday use for acne prone skin I would higly recommend this. Has no acne/irritant ingredients if you do a check on cosdna.com.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 6:15:00 AM More reviews by gkitten25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Really love this powder. Bought it during a really bad acne breakout about a year ago and have been using it ever since. I used the colour warm silk, I would say it is for those who are a bit on the pale side but it doesn't give you that white cast/cakey look most powders do. It's not full coverage and I would say you use it on top of a foundation, but that being said I have wore it alone if I am just nipping to the shops as it covers redness quite well. I can honestly say it has not broke me out, I am on a regimen from the dermatologist, but I have used this powder throughout and my skin has continued to get better, I don't attribute this solely to this powder but it certainly hasn't made things worse and helped along the way. It is on the pricey side, but totally worth it for me. The compact is lovely, had mine a year and still in great condition, it's quite heavy but it protect the powder inside so it wont break up if you drop your bag or the compact. Once you are done you just order a refill, the tray pops out and you place in the new one. I would possibly consider getting a warmer shade for the summer months but so far this one has served me very well, and if you use a warmer foundation it just helps to set it, without making you look ghostly.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2014 10:51:00 PM More reviews by cec233

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this powder because 1) I wanted to try mineral makeup. Liquid foundation + sunscreen feels like a greasy mask on my face, and I wanted something that would allow my skin to breath 2)Wayne Goss made a video on this powder and his skin looked wonderful in the video. However, after using it for a few times now, I'd say I am quite disappointed in this powder.

Pros:
- The look is very natural. This powder is "second skin" quality.
- Your skin feels like it can still breath after the powder is applied
- Application is very quick so it's nice especially you're in a hurry
- With an SPF of 20 (although not quite enough)

Cons:
- The powder lasts only about 2 hours unless you use more of it. Setting it with a face powder is not enough for oily areas such as the nose. Touch up is necessary for people with oily skin
- My cheeks actually looks dry while my nose is oily after 2 hours. I am blessed with good skin and my face actually looks better after the powder is washed off.
- This makeup is only available online and in a few spas or medical offices. I bought it online after spending a ton of time trying to figure out the right colour
- You're not getting a lot of product for the price so it's actually quite expensive
- Need to wait at least 15 minutes before the powder can be used if I just wash my face and apply moisturizer. Someone complained about the powder getting hard and impossible to use on their website, and the answer was the oil in the moisturizer may harden the powder.

I really want to like this powder more, but........anyway, the search for my HG foundation continues.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by niftypineapple914

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Overpriced and false advertising as far as I'm concerned. It's meant to be the dream for oily, problem skin; well, it turned my face into a greaseball even on patches prone to dryness, and most heinous of all . . . . it contains algae extract. Which is one of the most comedogenic ingredients in all of christendom. I could've changed my name legally to Pizza Face while using this. What an utter disappointment and waste of moolah.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Sunlitshade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this foundation. Very natural finish, doesn't flake during the day or fade, and easy to apply. The broad spectrum SPF is a biiig plus in my book. It evens out most of my redness issues, although I feel I have to use a little bit of concealer for around my nose and on the occational blemish. The finish is very pretty.
Doesn't break out my sensitive skin and feels weightless.
Love the compact! It's cute and made of a nice sturdy material, which makes sense as they use refills (very nice that they don't waste all those resources on packedging)
Definitely my favourite mineral foundation of all that I have tried. Lots of reasons to love it!

I might just buy a lighter shade next time though - jesh there are a lot to choose from! (which is also a plus though - if a little bit confusing to begin with :p)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2014 1:23:00 PM More reviews by plumsandmaroons

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It was probably the best foundation i had ever used. It did not caused any allergic reactions, definetly has good quality ingredients, looks really nice on skin, not melts on your face. Pretty much everything you can expect from a foundation. I've used shade Natural, which was not an exact match to my skintone (it was pinky) Even though it didnt match well, i still liked the look that it gave. The packaging is so classy and heavy, like the product inside.

I ran out of it, and i am not planning to repurchase. But it is not because of the product, it is because of the PRICE. If i get any richer, i will come back to this.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by rasberrikisses

I've used this off and on for a few years now. Recently I've started to appear very oily in my t-zone after having dry skin my whole life. I could not for the life of me figure out the cause of this. I thought maybe it was hormones and aging. After trying cut in out several things, I went without this and used Maybelline matte powder and I have had no greasy issues since! I've continued to use the same foundations with no problems. I'm not sure how I used this for years with no problems but I'm pretty sure this was the culprit. I used to really love the coverage of this but lately I hadn't really liked how it made my skin look. I guess good for me as the Maybelline is way cheaper!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 10:09:00 PM More reviews by sweetdase

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm an NC30-35 and bought this pressed mineral foundation in Golden Glow. It matches me quite well.. better than the Bare Minerals Medium Beige I find. I also bought the Handi brush to apply this foundation but find that it gives more a light/sheer coverage. So if I need more coverage, I use a synthetic kabuki brush which picks up more powder and applies more. I really like the packaging of this product. I bought the one that comes with the compact and the compact, although being quite heavy, is quite sturdy and is good quality. It closes using magnets rather than a snap. The product itself, like I said, is quite sheer and natural. It gives a natural finish and blends well into my skin. I have normal skin I find. In hot weather, my face does get oily, but during the winter months, it tends to get dry. So I guess normal/combo skin. This foundation is good for hot weather as it absorbs sweat and oil. And during winter months, if I use it, I use a spray on top to help keep my face moisturized through the day so my face oil doesn't get completely absorbed by the foundation. There is no particular scent to the product that I find so it is good for sensitive skin. I haven't had any break outs with this product since I've been using it for a few months now. I find mineral foundation in general is good for skin if you're prone to acne as it does let the skin breathe more. If this product runs out, I would not mind buying it again, providing I don't find a better product first. :)