August 22, 2014 | 1074 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Pure Pressed Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2014 10:51:00 PM More reviews by cec233

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this powder because 1) I wanted to try mineral makeup. Liquid foundation + sunscreen feels like a greasy mask on my face, and I wanted something that would allow my skin to breath 2)Wayne Goss made a video on this powder and his skin looked wonderful in the video. However, after using it for a few times now, I'd say I am quite disappointed in this powder.

Pros:
- The look is very natural. This powder is "second skin" quality.
- Your skin feels like it can still breath after the powder is applied
- Application is very quick so it's nice especially you're in a hurry
- With an SPF of 20 (although not quite enough)

Cons:
- The powder lasts only about 2 hours unless you use more of it. Setting it with a face powder is not enough for oily areas such as the nose. Touch up is necessary for people with oily skin
- My cheeks actually looks dry while my nose is oily after 2 hours. I am blessed with good skin and my face actually looks better after the powder is washed off.
- This makeup is only available online and in a few spas or medical offices. I bought it online after spending a ton of time trying to figure out the right colour
- You're not getting a lot of product for the price so it's actually quite expensive
- Need to wait at least 15 minutes before the powder can be used if I just wash my face and apply moisturizer. Someone complained about the powder getting hard and impossible to use on their website, and the answer was the oil in the moisturizer may harden the powder.

I really want to like this powder more, but........anyway, the search for my HG foundation continues.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by niftypineapple914

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Overpriced and false advertising as far as I'm concerned. It's meant to be the dream for oily, problem skin; well, it turned my face into a greaseball even on patches prone to dryness, and most heinous of all . . . . it contains algae extract. Which is one of the most comedogenic ingredients in all of christendom. I could've changed my name legally to Pizza Face while using this. What an utter disappointment and waste of moolah.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Sunlitshade

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this foundation. Very natural finish, doesn't flake during the day or fade, and easy to apply. The broad spectrum SPF is a biiig plus in my book. It evens out most of my redness issues, although I feel I have to use a little bit of concealer for around my nose and on the occational blemish. The finish is very pretty.
Doesn't break out my sensitive skin and feels weightless.
Love the compact! It's cute and made of a nice sturdy material, which makes sense as they use refills (very nice that they don't waste all those resources on packedging)
Definitely my favourite mineral foundation of all that I have tried. Lots of reasons to love it!

I might just buy a lighter shade next time though - jesh there are a lot to choose from! (which is also a plus though - if a little bit confusing to begin with :p)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2014 1:23:00 PM More reviews by plumsandmaroons

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It was probably the best foundation i had ever used. It did not caused any allergic reactions, definetly has good quality ingredients, looks really nice on skin, not melts on your face. Pretty much everything you can expect from a foundation. I've used shade Natural, which was not an exact match to my skintone (it was pinky) Even though it didnt match well, i still liked the look that it gave. The packaging is so classy and heavy, like the product inside.

I ran out of it, and i am not planning to repurchase. But it is not because of the product, it is because of the PRICE. If i get any richer, i will come back to this.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by rasberrikisses

I've used this off and on for a few years now. Recently I've started to appear very oily in my t-zone after having dry skin my whole life. I could not for the life of me figure out the cause of this. I thought maybe it was hormones and aging. After trying cut in out several things, I went without this and used Maybelline matte powder and I have had no greasy issues since! I've continued to use the same foundations with no problems. I'm not sure how I used this for years with no problems but I'm pretty sure this was the culprit. I used to really love the coverage of this but lately I hadn't really liked how it made my skin look. I guess good for me as the Maybelline is way cheaper!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 10:09:00 PM More reviews by sweetdase

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm an NC30-35 and bought this pressed mineral foundation in Golden Glow. It matches me quite well.. better than the Bare Minerals Medium Beige I find. I also bought the Handi brush to apply this foundation but find that it gives more a light/sheer coverage. So if I need more coverage, I use a synthetic kabuki brush which picks up more powder and applies more. I really like the packaging of this product. I bought the one that comes with the compact and the compact, although being quite heavy, is quite sturdy and is good quality. It closes using magnets rather than a snap. The product itself, like I said, is quite sheer and natural. It gives a natural finish and blends well into my skin. I have normal skin I find. In hot weather, my face does get oily, but during the winter months, it tends to get dry. So I guess normal/combo skin. This foundation is good for hot weather as it absorbs sweat and oil. And during winter months, if I use it, I use a spray on top to help keep my face moisturized through the day so my face oil doesn't get completely absorbed by the foundation. There is no particular scent to the product that I find so it is good for sensitive skin. I haven't had any break outs with this product since I've been using it for a few months now. I find mineral foundation in general is good for skin if you're prone to acne as it does let the skin breathe more. If this product runs out, I would not mind buying it again, providing I don't find a better product first. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by carick85

I used to love this foundation, but my love has turned into hate! If you have acne or red acne spots, this will not cover it without a separate concealer, unless you really pack it on with a sponge. I was going through a compact every month, and it's not cheap. More importantly, they claim that this foundation is non-comedogenic.. wrong! After using this for about a year and changing around my skin care routine, my face was still congested and breaking out. I started looking into the ingredients and found that algae extract is rated 5 (extremely comedogenic). Using products rated 2 and up are a huge no no when you have skin that easily clogs and break out. I'm now using Faerie Organics mineral makeup which is working out great so far.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2013 12:47:00 AM More reviews by finnybinny1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a love/hate relationship with this product.
I have oily, large pored, sensitive skin.

I love that Latte is an exact match for my skin tone, I love that it is near waterproof, it really sticks around all day and I work in a hot humid environment. I love its natural sheen, not too matte, not too shiny. Just right, like freshly cleaned skin. It also doesn't break me out at all.

I dislike that it emphasizes every single pore on my face using the Handi brush. Using a puff yields even worse results. I am not wrinkled up yet, but this product makes the skin in the undereye area look very crepey.
However.... after I complained to the lady where I purchased it, she told me that It needs to be buffed into the skin, or misted, to "set it'. I tried both, and both help. I use a slightly damp sponge and pat my skin and it seems to help. Also, a very light application of a silicone primer AFTER the Pure Pressed Base seems to melt it into those pesky pores and crepey things. I tried a primer before to no avail, but after really helps.

Color and staying power are perfect. I'm so oily I still shine up midday, but that's ok, this is better than most. But darn the texture issues! If I wasn't so oily I would try the liquid version of this, but I don't want to waste money on an experiment.

Even though I like the satin finish, I think it's the sheen that highlights the micro-orangepeel texture of my oily skin.

The coverage is excellent if you already have a decently even tone with mild imperfections. It's buildable, but with caution, you might look like crepe paper with too much.

So far, I am getting best results with texture using Per*fekt, and had decent results when Avon Magix Tinted was still around. I just wish those had slightly more coverage and came in Latte. I must need spackle for the pores.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/31/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by kazina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really liked this powder foundation when I first began to use it, but have since changed my mind. It applies really well and has a satin finish to stop it from looking too matte. I don't like wearing foundation mostly because I don't like how obvious it can look in certain areas, like on my nose, and this never has that problem. It looks like actual skin. When you first put it on it might look a tad powdery, but after about half an hour it blends with the natural oils on the face and looks *perfect*.

So what's the problem? I've realised it makes my face more shiny than when I don't wear it. My skin is very oily and not usually sensitive at all, and yet there is some ingredient in this powder that makes my skin feel annoyed, like a mildly hot sensation. This is not particularly unpleasant, but I think this is what makes my skin more oily. I thought it might have been the bismuth people were talking about in the old formula, so I ordered a new one to see if the formula was different, same issue. One day I finally did a test, I put my old Jane Iredale compact on a quarter of my face, the new one on another quarter, no foundation on the third quarter and a Kanebo Media powder foundation on the fourth quarter. After about two hours it became obvious that the two parts with the JI powder on were a lot more shiny than the part with nothing, and the part with the Kanebo powder was least shiny of them all. Such a shame since the finish of the Kanebo is not as nice, but oh well.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by porerelations

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm thrilled with this pressed mineral foundation. It has moderate coverage, but can be layered. It covers redness and imperfections. What sets it apart is that it does not irritate my extremely sensitive skin. The gold compact is elegant and well-made, and I like the idea that it is re-fillable. The color shades are vast - and as a girl with light, cool skin with pink undertones, the color Natural was perfect.