October 22, 2014 | 1011 users online

Treatments - Sally Hansen - 14 day Nail Shield

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2010 7:24:00 PM More reviews by kimi1964

I am surprised at all the comments about the product being bad and peeling off the nails. They've stuck to my nails with no problems - I think the key is dry nails to start, and to smooth the shield on slowly from the bed. Also, unlike other reviewers, I like the sheer colors. And I did not have much of problem with sizing. Any overlap onto the cuticles came off with a little filing, and I cut the pinkies down to the width that worked for me. But I agree 100% that the sizes are odd, and more options should be available. Even a small nail pack and a larger nail pack - alas, they do not have it that way.

At any rate, my nails have been a wreck for a few years - used to be gorgeous in my younger days. These days, I cannot stop them from peeling. Another reviewer here said her nails peel from the tips, and mine do too, making them paper thin where a portion has peeled off. I have tried high-end products (Duracoat, Millionailes, Mavala, more) without success. What my nails need is exactly what this shields provide - a little "give" when a nail is struck or bent. These shields have helped my nails flex without starting another layer from peeling off.

The only other product that offered anything like this was Nail Aid Nail Recovery or Peeling Nails products. They are "soft" - not brittle acrylic.

Anyway - I love these shields. I use them alot when I travel - don't have to worry about chipping so I don't have to haul nail polish through the security at the airport. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2010 4:47:00 PM More reviews by CSteen85

Ugh. I bought this crap, because I cannot. stop. biting my nails. I have been trying so hard to stop, even coating my nails with clear polish every day and it just bite it off. Half the time I don't even realize I'm doing it. It sounds totally nuts, but I think it has to do with caffeine. When I don't drink coffee, I don't find myself sitting at my desk absent-mindedly biting my nails.

Anyway, as for the Nail Sheilds, my nails were in desperate need of repair. I was about to buy a bottle of strengthening polish, but saw these and decided to get them instead. First of all, the color is NOTHING like it looks in the box. I thought it would be more opaque, but it's completely transparent... clear, really, with just a hint of shimmer (Sheer Shell).

Secondly, the sizes were a joke (for my nail beds anyway). The biggest (not the last sheet) sizes were too small and the smallest weren't small enough. Then, they include this extra sheet of HUMONGOUS applications, which I can only assume are for big toes or something. Seriously, it's not even funny. I couldn't figure out what they were for.

Application itself was weird. I'll admit I've never used these types of things before, but they did not seem at all sticky enough to me. They never really seemed to meld into my nail and i was able to peel one off in a sheet completely. I noticed if I rubbed cuticle cream on my nails after applying these, they melted on a bit better. I have yet to wash my hands with them on, so we'll see what happens then.

I have two nails where the shields actually look relatively normal. But overall, the sizes were just all wrong for me. And I also didn't quite understand how to peel off the backing. I wasn't able to peel off the backing without damaging that edge of the shield. Totally bizarre.

Anyway, kind of a waste of money in my opinion. I also don't see how these will help my nails now that I have them on, but hopefully they will, at least a little.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2010 8:44:00 PM More reviews by rvkma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

These are pretty much just nail stickers. I doubt they would last a full 14 days, but you never know. I was able to get a week's worth of wear out of them before I took them off, because I was tired of them and started to pick at the edges.

I didn't think they did anything particularly strengthening to my nails. In fact, I was very disappointed because one nail cracked and tore while I was wearing them, and my thumbnail peeled. Not much of a "shield" then, eh? My biggest nail issue is peeling tips, and I would have at least expected these to help with that. Nope.

I didn't have a hard time applying them (no lifting or bubbles) but as other reviews have mentioned, the sizes are WEIRD. I mean, unless you're an orangutan, I don't know anyone with nails as large as the biggest sheet in the box - it was almost comical. And I don't have time to waste to trim those down to get more use per box. They also do not give you doubles of any size, which is weird, so I was able to use the smallest on one pinky... but had to trim down for the other hand. ??? Didn't make much sense to me.

I really wanted to like this, it sounded so good... but meh. Maybe worth a try if you see them cheap.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2010 1:21:00 PM More reviews by tetriscupcake

This is a terrible product. Not even an hour after I applied the nail strips, they started splitting and coming off. Its really irritating that I wasted 5 bucks on this crap.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2010 12:22:00 PM More reviews by magpiesparkle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wasn't at all impressed by this product. While the application was a breeze, the nail treatment chipped and didn't stay on very well [and I made sure to prep my nails thoroughly beforehand].

I really wanted to like this but alas, it's not to be.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2010 9:37:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Terrible! First, I thought the color was going to be opaque but it is just a tinted clear coat once you take off the paper backing. Ther are lots of clear coats that already dry pretty quickly and you can't notice imperfections w/ them much anyway. So right away this product was disappointing.

It has a learning curve to apply but once you get it, it's fairly easy. The problem is that it peels off right away w/ normal daily activities. And it's really expensive for one manicure of clear polish. Also, the sizes are bad - too narrow or too wide.

Would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2010 12:24:00 PM More reviews by dtm428

I have nails that keep splitting at the tip. No matter what I put on them, they just chip and split. I'm trying these stick on shields and hoping that they'll provide that extra coverage to allow my nail to grow out a little more. So far so good. Easy to stick on and they last a little over week for me. Not that they came off, but as my nail grew, obviously, the base wasn't covered anymore. I guess I could just fill in with a clear coat.

Once on, it looks like a really nice, glossy top coat. The shine doesn't fade, and it really stayed on until I took it off with regular polish remover.

My main complaint about this product is that it comes with sizes that I will never use. So, it's a waste. I don't know who has nails that wide, but almost half of the product, I cannot use unless I trim them down. This stuff costs around $9, I want to be able to use all of it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2010 11:11:00 AM More reviews by shbea

These are a great alternative to polish, take your time to learn how to use them, and really press it into the nail. Sometimes not perfect application, but nobody will notice, much better than just bare nails, I would like to see a whitish option.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2010 7:25:00 PM More reviews by pkuyken

I put these on yesterday - the beige ones. Pretty easy breezy to do, and I can't paint my own nails. this is a great way to have your nails look decent inbetween professional manicures. I'll post back once I see how long they last. Even if they only last 3 days, it's only 8 bucks, about the price of a polish change.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2010 8:44:00 AM More reviews by phillygirl36

LOVE this product! My nails and cuticles are always a wreck. And going to the nail salon every two weeks is just not my bag, mostly because I don't like having nail polish as it tends to cause more splitting, peeling once the polish is removed.

Could only find the Nail Shield at my Walgreens for $8--less than a manicure. The box claims it lasts 14 days, and I agree--it works!!! Easy to apply (sheets), quick, giving you a hint of color. My nails grew, didn't chip or break. Easy to remove with nail polish remover. Even without the product on my nails are stronger.

My nails have never looked healthier. Totally love this product. Hope they don't discontinue it ever.