December 18, 2014 | 946 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Brass Banisher

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2013 7:46:00 AM More reviews by WhiteCareBear

I had my medium brown hair highlighted light blonde with a medium/dark blonde base color a couple weeks ago. The blonde highlights were bright but brassy yellow and the darker base was pretty much orangy light brown, especially at the roots. I gave it a couple weeks to settle but felt like carrot top!

In comes L'Oreal Brass Banisher. Unfortunately It removed the nice brightness from my hair color (the only positive thing I had going), leaving it a slightly more uniform (not the desired effect) mousier/darker version of orangy base and yellow highlights, and giving me dried out locks to add insult to injury. :-(

As for the conditioner, I know people rave about it but it's not any better or worse than any good professional conditioner out there...

Hopefully it works like any ol' toner and washes out within the next couple weeks.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by Yuna4554

I tried this to get rid of the orange in my hair, and it did absolutely nothing, it smelled and was a complete waste of money. I would not recommend this to anyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by ElizaW

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm a new reviewer at MUA. Seemed every time I googled beauty products looking for reviews, MUA always pulled in results, but of course unless your a member you can only view the first page of reviews. I finally decided that I really needed to join, glad I did.

My hair is 70% gray and I stopped coloring years ago to let it grow out to see what I had to work with. My hair is more silver than gray and I decided to get highlights at the salon. After spending 110.00 (including tip) I wasn't keen on the results. I specifically asked that the highlights be silver and of course like so many others, I came out with yellow highlights. My stylist was at a loss as to what to do. Tried a second time with the same results so I started using a brand that I bought at wallmart (L'Oreal Frost and Glow Platinum). For around $10.00 (maybe less) I got the same results as the $110.00 salon trip. But the same yellow would occur at the crown.

With the good reviews for the Brass Banisher I thought why not give it try. I had just highlighted my hair the day before. I applied as directed and left it on for the 10 minutes.

The results were good but there are still a couple of areas (on the crown area) that are still holding onto the yellow. I'm sure my shampoo can take care of that. Overall I am pleased with the product though next time I may leave it in a bit longer or apply it to the crown first and wait the 10 minutes or so before putting through the rest of the hair. The condition was great and my hair is super soft and really shiny.

At least I found something that does work to a degree and it's price is reasonable verses the salon. It's far better than what my hairdresser could do as she was mystified as to what to do to correct the yellowing.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by Jessibean

woah, I did not expect this to work on my hair after reading the reviews, but as a Canadian this was actually the only thing I could find to counteract brassiness. I ombred my hair with bleach on the bottom half and I have natural red tones in my hair, so it came out very brassy. It wasn't horrible, but I wanted to tone it down, so I picked this up (I was actually looking for John Freida purple shampoo, but they didn't have it and she recommended this).

I left it on for 25 minutes, way longer than recommended, but my hair was not very light so I wasn't worried about it going green or anything. After I rinsed it out I used a purple conditioner (pantene silver expressions) and then put the conditioner that came with it on (which smells incredible, and is enough for 2-3 uses). When it dried it was quite a bit less orange/brassy. It definitely didn't "banish" them...but it helped. Worth a try for anyone who bleached their hair, in my opinion.

only con: kind of pricey (same price as a regular box of dye)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by JCK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great product! I was developing orange-y tones in my salon done blonde ombre. I am using the purple shampoo/conditioner as well.
Left this product on for 10 minutes and I am very pleased with the results, took away all of the brass I didn't like, definitely recommend!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by beeeez

hmmm reading the review below me made me wanna buy it cause she/he said that it CAN get green...and I kinda wanted that so it could look a little ashy. I left this on for an hour (I know I know), and then washed my hair with the conditioner provided. I dried my hair...noticing not much of a difference..if anything maybe a little more orange than before? Sigh...im trying to get this ashy brown color but nothing's helping. Im thinking of going back to dark brown-black again -_-

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2012 7:24:00 AM More reviews by sexylovie84

This is my second time using this and I am really happy. It works better if you leave it on longer, but too long it can get a little green. I always get hot roots and this time I put it on the roots first for a while and the ends like a minute. It worked wonderfully and left my dried out hair soft and creamy colored :) I really like this as a toner. I might try using it between colorings because my hair gets brassy on top.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Pickle87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I read all these reviews on this product before I bought it. I was having mixed feelings but needed to do something about my hair. I had dyed my hair a dark brown in January and then had the color stripped in may at a salon. (was trying to get my hair healthy to get it to grow) however I was really starting to dislike the color I was at which was a medium brown with red tones. I purchased l'oreal born blonde maxi hoping it would do the trick to get me to a light blonde. Nope, yellow. Banana yellow. Panic time right? Read reviews and watched YouTube videos. Low and behold only product was brass banisher at my local Walmart. I said what the heck, I'll do it. Worked wonders!!! I am now strawberry blonde. Some gold tones, but I am really satisfied. No crazy blonde roots and yellow locks. All over same color. I would recommend this product. For upkeep I got John Frieda color renew purple shampoo. This will help pull more of the brass tones out and keep your hair blushing blonde!!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2012 8:36:00 AM More reviews by candybum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I know this product is meant for blondes, but my brunette dye job was so faded and brassy I had to give this a try. I got it on sale for $10CDN. It did nothing. My hair looks and feels exactly the same as it did before. So I would say it's worth a try and from the reviews I've read, blondes definitley have more success with this. For the price, and considering there was no damage done, I'd definitely recommend trying it to see if it's for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 12:38:00 PM More reviews by suemag472

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great product. I love it. Did exactly what I wanted it to do - took out those brassy orange undertones. I am now a dirty blonde again,