July 30, 2014 | 2016 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Brass Banisher

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by Jessibean

woah, I did not expect this to work on my hair after reading the reviews, but as a Canadian this was actually the only thing I could find to counteract brassiness. I ombred my hair with bleach on the bottom half and I have natural red tones in my hair, so it came out very brassy. It wasn't horrible, but I wanted to tone it down, so I picked this up (I was actually looking for John Freida purple shampoo, but they didn't have it and she recommended this).

I left it on for 25 minutes, way longer than recommended, but my hair was not very light so I wasn't worried about it going green or anything. After I rinsed it out I used a purple conditioner (pantene silver expressions) and then put the conditioner that came with it on (which smells incredible, and is enough for 2-3 uses). When it dried it was quite a bit less orange/brassy. It definitely didn't "banish" them...but it helped. Worth a try for anyone who bleached their hair, in my opinion.

only con: kind of pricey (same price as a regular box of dye)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by JCK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great product! I was developing orange-y tones in my salon done blonde ombre. I am using the purple shampoo/conditioner as well.
Left this product on for 10 minutes and I am very pleased with the results, took away all of the brass I didn't like, definitely recommend!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by beeeez

hmmm reading the review below me made me wanna buy it cause she/he said that it CAN get green...and I kinda wanted that so it could look a little ashy. I left this on for an hour (I know I know), and then washed my hair with the conditioner provided. I dried my hair...noticing not much of a difference..if anything maybe a little more orange than before? Sigh...im trying to get this ashy brown color but nothing's helping. Im thinking of going back to dark brown-black again -_-

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2012 7:24:00 AM More reviews by sexylovie84

This is my second time using this and I am really happy. It works better if you leave it on longer, but too long it can get a little green. I always get hot roots and this time I put it on the roots first for a while and the ends like a minute. It worked wonderfully and left my dried out hair soft and creamy colored :) I really like this as a toner. I might try using it between colorings because my hair gets brassy on top.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Pickle87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I read all these reviews on this product before I bought it. I was having mixed feelings but needed to do something about my hair. I had dyed my hair a dark brown in January and then had the color stripped in may at a salon. (was trying to get my hair healthy to get it to grow) however I was really starting to dislike the color I was at which was a medium brown with red tones. I purchased l'oreal born blonde maxi hoping it would do the trick to get me to a light blonde. Nope, yellow. Banana yellow. Panic time right? Read reviews and watched YouTube videos. Low and behold only product was brass banisher at my local Walmart. I said what the heck, I'll do it. Worked wonders!!! I am now strawberry blonde. Some gold tones, but I am really satisfied. No crazy blonde roots and yellow locks. All over same color. I would recommend this product. For upkeep I got John Frieda color renew purple shampoo. This will help pull more of the brass tones out and keep your hair blushing blonde!!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2012 8:36:00 AM More reviews by candybum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I know this product is meant for blondes, but my brunette dye job was so faded and brassy I had to give this a try. I got it on sale for $10CDN. It did nothing. My hair looks and feels exactly the same as it did before. So I would say it's worth a try and from the reviews I've read, blondes definitley have more success with this. For the price, and considering there was no damage done, I'd definitely recommend trying it to see if it's for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 12:38:00 PM More reviews by suemag472

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great product. I love it. Did exactly what I wanted it to do - took out those brassy orange undertones. I am now a dirty blonde again,

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2012 1:39:00 AM More reviews by FancyMcHotpants

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!
I joined this site just to rate the product.
I usually get my hair done professionally, but have recently felt the pinch of the economy.
I used Nice N Easy, I beleive it was called "Born Blond" with blue, the blue, I suppose was to reduce brassy coloration.
I left the lightner on the maximum 90 minutes, (my hair was already medium blond, but is often resistant to coloring so I allowed for extra time.)
The result was very blond, but yellow with orange tones.
I just used the brass banisher, and I absolutely love the color.
It looks salon blond now, almost platinum. AWESOME!!!

To anyone who rated this product poorly:
All toners leave your hair darker than what you started with.
THAT'S WHAT TONERS DO!
Yes, the results may be subtle to the untrained eye, but if they completely eliminate any highlights that were previously added, then you didn't have a very drastic change to begin with.

It didn't however leave my hair "glossy" but I like to mix a little olive oil in with the conditioning treatment, leave in for 5-10 minutes, shampoo, then use the conditioning treatment again. Even my stylist has said she can't beleive how healthy my hair is for how much self-processing as I have done in the past.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/24/2012 3:12:00 PM More reviews by Titan2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been highlighting my hair with bleach over the last month and used this product the first go round. The warm hues generated by bleaching were not awful, but I wanted to tone down some brass/red hues. The end result was darker hair, with a more ash tone to it. Most of the warm hues (which my hair needs to compliment my skin tone) were gone. So I wasn't really happy with the product, especially when there is a picture of a wonderful blonde color on the box. It is deceiving as to the result you will actually get.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2012 1:10:00 PM More reviews by sleepydoc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

They should call this product "Blond Banisher" because it took away all my blond highlights!!! Will NEVER use this product again. I thought it would take yellow tones out of my light blond, highlighted hair and it just made my hair look overall very dark blond to light brown. VERY disappointed.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No