November 27, 2014 | 1478 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock spf 70

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by monkeyr159

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's not the worst sunscreen for the face, but no where near the best.
I have really oily skin and have heard some great things about this sunscreen, so I thought I'd go ahead and try it.
Claims to be oil free, have a weightless liquid formula, and layer invisibly under makeup. While it is oil free, it gave my face a really oily/greay effect right after I applied it. I thought it'd "evaporate" or dry to a matte finish, but 10 minutes later I still had a greasy face :( I continued to put on my foundation, concealer, powder like normal and noticed 2 hours later my face was a grease-ball and normally with the products I use I can go about 4-5 hours before getting oily. So... I'm not impressed, and won't be using this under makeup.
Also I couldn't stand the smell. I use the regular Ultra Sheer sunscreen for my body and that scent doesn't bother me that much, but this one had a super sunscreen-y smell that just wouldn't go away. Plus it's kind of expensive at $12 plus tax; I'd rather wait for when CVS has a good sale on the "La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid" which I love!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by carrie79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great sunscreen - disappears under makeup and feels nice and light. The package makes it easy to appy and to use it all up. I've had a lot of trouble with other sunscreens, including several from Neutrogena, being too thick and not working with my foundation/bb cream. This soaks in super fast, though I do take a few minutes to get dressed before applying bb cream. All in all, fantastic product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Livn2large

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I hate sunscreen (or rather, my skin hates sunscreen). I have adult acne, rosacea, atopic dermatitis and am hypersensitive to many skincare ingredients. I have trouble finding any products to use, let alone sun protection. And yet, I work outdoors some of the day, so sun protection is a must. And my hair never met a hat it could tolerate.

I've tried dozens of sunscreens, physical and chemical, all of which have left me with some kind of reaction -- from severe dermatitis to large, painful cysts. Yet I continue to try new ones in hopes that I can find that magic formula that will be the ONE. Enter Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 70. I actually bought this one for my husband, but in a fit of experimentation one day, I used it myself. To my complete surprise, at the end of the day, I didn't have a face full of zits or red irritation bumps. I wore it again the next day. One or two little irritation bumps, but nothing more. Over weeks, I continued to apply it (not every day), and my results remained consistent. My skin isn't crazy about avobenzone-based sunscreens (they do sting a little on application and my eyes so react for a while), but overall this one is a winner.

This liquid IS ultra sheer. It's a light as a feather. After application, there's only a slight sheen. Makeup or other face products apply like a dream over it. The real downside is that it's not water or sweat-proof, so reapplication is a must.

This chemical sunscreen does contain oxybenzone, which I would prefer not to use for health reasons. However, by wearing it I'm getting some protection which I thought I'd never find. So, you'll have to pry this sunscreen from my cold, dead hands before I'll give this one up.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2013 2:01:00 AM More reviews by giselle27

Like many I have tried many many sunscreens for my oily face including many by clinique and peter thomas roth. This is by far the best product I have ever tried. I apply my face cream first, let it set, and then put this on and let it dry and then continue my makeup routine. It does not make me oily and I will be repurchasing this when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2013 6:27:00 PM More reviews by ssnyder324

I have sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin. Because I regularly use Retin-A for my acne, it is imperative that I use a high SPF on my face during the day. For me (and for the price), this product can't be beat. I use it everyday and generally mix it with an oil-free moisturizer/primer/ beauty balm. It doesn't make me break out (or turn orange, like one reviewer mentioned) and it really protects against the sun. I am sensitive to strong scents, and I haven't noticed this product's smell at all. It does seem like it will be on the oily side when you first apply, but it absorbs nicely. If you are on a budget, it is worth a try.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/3/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by mnguyen34

I had such high hopes for this sunscreen! For my morning routine, I applied the sunscreen on my bare face. The sunscreen applied wonderfully and dried down to an undetectable matte finish on my skin. I applied primer over the sunscreen and then my foundation. I set it with a light dusting of Ben Nye's banana powder and went off to work. The only new item that I included in my routine that morning was the sunscreen.

Halfway through the day, I caught a glimpse of my face in the ladies' room mirror and was horrified at the dark orange face that I saw reflected in the mirror. At first I thought I was being stalked by an attractive stylishly dressed oompa loompa until my brain came back from fantasy land and I realized the orange face in the mirror belonged to me. As I was already in the ladies room, I scrubbed anyway the dark orange makeup/sunscreen combo and reapplied all of my makeup again, but omitting the sunscreen this time. At the end of the day, my makeup looked exactly the same as when I had applied it. That's when I knew for sure that the sunscreen was the culprit for turning me into an attractive stylish oompha loopha. Well I am happy to report that she has vanished and I will not be resurrecting her ever again.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2012 1:04:00 AM More reviews by sunlovin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I read about this product in Allure and was eager to try it as I did Pixel and another laser treatment in the Spring and wanted to keep the chased-off dark spots away. However, this sunscreen makes my oily, acne prone skin BREAK OUT! I wasn't sure it was the sunscreen so experimented with eliminating other products one by one, and in the end, the Neutrogena sunscreen was definitely the culprit. May be fine for those blessed with clear skin but if you're prone to breakouts with oily skin (like me), I would not recommend. At least my oily skin keeps my skin moist and makes me look young for my age : )

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2012 1:54:00 AM More reviews by bbarry75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this stuff is so great. It doesn't make me break out, doesn't make me more oily than I would normaly be and works great under my makeup. I'm on my second bottle and will buy more

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by xxellzox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have very fair skin so sunscreen is absolutely necessary, but my skin is also very oily so I would never wear it. My dermatologist recommended a couple sunscreens to me, but I wasn't happy with any of them. Finally they recommended this one to me, and I have been happily using it daily ever since. When I first put some in my hand I thought it was going to be a greasy nightmare, but it absorbs SO nicely into skin. I can't say my skin isn't oily because that's how it naturally is, but this is the only sunscreen I have used that hasn't made my face greasy or more oily. This also applies sheer enough that I can reapply it throughout the day without feeling like its building up. I would highly recommend this sunscreen, it is the best I have used and I am definitely going to be repurchasing it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this firstly as it uses Neutrogena's "Helioplex" formula for sreening. This is the best system except La Roche-Posay "Anthelios" which is insanely more expensive. It just hasn't been FDA approvd yet here sort of like when Parsol 1789 was not saleable here because of FDA holdups though it was used in Europe for years prior. "Helioplex" screens the "A" rays as efficiently as it does the "B" rays. The "A" rays are far more damaging as they penetrate deeper within the skin causing worse (sometimes cancer) damage than "B" rays (which simply burn the skin, not that this is not bad as well.) You've heard the term "broadspectrum" which means sreening of both rays. The problem is their ability to maintain the sreening of "A" rays for as long as they screen "B" rays. Their system of screening "A" rays breaks down quickly and is not as efficient as their system of "B" ray screening. That's why "Helioplex" is superior. I also love the fact you use drops of this on your face (so you're using very little of it) and you may apply this to bear skin and then use your serums/moisturizers/ makeup on top. It says this on the packaging the product comes within, but does not say this very important fact on the bottle itself. Because of the packaging/size of this product and using just drops of it I believe this is Neutrogena's facial/undermakeup under everything product for FACIAL use w/out interfering with your skincare/makeup regine and that very regine not interfering with the efficiency of this product. I LOVE THIS SUNSCREEN and so will you.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No