Sally Hansen Miracle Nail Thickener

2.9

on 1/27/2013 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

**EDIT** For the Biotin, you work up to 5000 mg per day in case you were wondering. Also, the nail thickener does add shine so if you do not like shiny nails, I don't suggest this particular thickener as it will not be matte.** After reading a lot of the other reviews, I noticed a lot of people said the product bubbled or didn't work. I always got my nails thickened at a spa (basically a gel nail set without adding tips) but found that, when my nails would grow, my nails under the gel were thin, soft and would have the potential to break.

I just bought this product yesterday at SDM for 10.99 + tax and followed the instructions on the bottle. "Apply 1 coat to bare nails. For extra thin nails, apply daily for up to 4 days. Use alone or as a base coat." Now, first, I filed my nails down to remove any residual gel. I then used a buffer (harder side first to ensure nails were even on the surface as best they could be) and then the side to make them shiny. To remove residual oils, I washed and fully dried my hands and nails in colder water (I had heard warm water makes them softer and more pliable for those with thick nails to be able to cut their nails without cracking them) and then applied a thin coat (wiping the wand along the edges to remove excess product). It only took a couple of minutes for it to dry. The next day (today), I applied another thin coat. I have no bubbling. What I find is, with products like this that are buildable, thin coats are best. It does drip a bit so make sure you wipe off the end of the brush prior to the application to each nail. Other than that, it isn't a miracle persay, but my nails are shiny and already feel a bit thicker. I am not sure if this will actually make them thick or will do what a gel set did and just give the illusion of thickness. 4 stars for now but we shall see. Also, I suggest taking Vitamin B5 (Biotin) which is supposed to be helpful (in time) for nail and hair growth. The research I did was that you need 2500 mcg per day. Most grocery store supplements contain only 250 mcg so unless you want to waste money and take 10 a day, I suggest a health food store for a "hair and nails" supplement. I did manage to find "Nature's Bounty" Biotin 1000mcg for about 8.99 + tax at Superstore but that will be another review. For this product, just ensure your nails are clean and buffed and apply a thin coat daily for 4 days. Thicker application would result in the bubbling effect others have experienced. Also, I haven't utilized it as a base coat (as I am waiting after the initial 4 day application to do so, so that will be another review. Good luck and I hope this helped! ^_^

on 12/2/2012 11:38:00 PM

dried pretty quickly, no bubbles or anything to speak of. nice glossy finish.

i started with clean, dry flaking and horribly thin nails
i only applied one coat, as per the instructions

on 6/17/2012 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

UPDATE- I'm keeping this product at a two rating because It got really thick really quickly and there were too many bubbles.

The only reason I gave this product a 2 rating was because I just started using it. I mean whenever I put it on I could tell there was a little bit of a difference already. But I think , along with any product, you have to give it time to see the full effects. Hopefully it works!

on 4/11/2012 9:54:00 PM

My nails always break really easily, so I could never get long nails, or if I managed to get them long, they'd break. This product is great. I have definitely noticed a difference in my nails. They look great, and they're finally long. They aren't rock solid, of course, but I didn't expect that. I use it whenever I can. I apply it everyday when I'm not wearing nail polish, and as a base coat when I am. Yes, this stuff does come off quick. But that's why it says to apply every day. The only reason I gave this product 4 stars is because of the guarantee. The guarantee promises 70% stronger nails in 4 days, I think? It didn't work that fast for me, But it does work. Also, so far, mine hasn't been bubbling at all, and I've had it for about 2 months

on 3/28/2012 8:20:00 PM

There are so many Sally Hansen nail treatments it boggles the mind. Too many in my opinion. This "miracle " nail thickener is in a purple bottle. I apply two coats and in LESS than 24 hours it is coming off. Literally the whole nail is patchy with just a small amount of product left on. My hands spend a minimal amount of time in water and minimal time doing housework. Another disappointing Sally Hansen nail treatment product. In fairness I do like some of their polishes but can't rely on many of the nail treatments at all.

on 3/5/2012 9:23:00 PM

I bought this because I have thin, weak nails, and I thought it would help. I put it on and at first I thought it was great. Later that day it started peeling off. Forget using this as a base coat, it will make your nail polish start peeling off within a day! There is also problems with it bubbling. So awful. I didn't shake the bottle or even roll it, and it STILL bubbles the worst I have ever seen. This product doesn't go on smooth and won't make your nails thicker. It will bubble or peel off right away taking layers of your nails with it.

on 2/11/2012 2:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I bought this because i had a nail break, probably because i buffed my nails too much and they got thin and long and *snap! Ouch! so i superglued the nail so it wouldnt break off (it was at the skin so that woulda been painful) ive been using this to keep my broken nail at bay while it grew out, and its only been 2 days, but not bad! it DOES take awhile to dry, and ive put about 3 layers so far (over the 2 day span) and noticed that it can also be used as a base coat! wonderful! i painted ONE coat of polish, which normally takes 3 coats to look as good...so that alone made me like it even more! it does also make your nails thick, but just as a coat of clear gel, i was kinda hoping it would sink into my nails and not be a polish but whateverrrrs. i'd buy it again if i really needed for my nail breakage.

on 1/25/2012 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First, I need to say I've only been using this product for 3 days. I already dislike the fact that it takes forever to dry. Even using OPI Drying Drops doesn't make it dry quicker. I've been applying one coat daily, and today makes my 3rd coat. It's been over 5 minutes, and my nails are still tacky.

I'll update in a week or so regarding the thickness of my nails. But for now, I can say I wont buy again just because of drying time.

UPDATE: I will definitely NOT buy again because of the bubbling! After the 3rd coat, my fingers looked like I painted them with champagne. Not good...

This is a purple bottle and it says on the package that " You will see 70% thicker nails in 4 days" Yes.... yes.... yes it true! I used this on my thin peeling sad sorry excuse for nails and I noticed stronger heathly nails in 24 hours. Amazing product I swear by it. I did notice that its a peely polish, so if you have a color over top after day two I could peel it right off base and color all in one, So I do not recommend this a as a everyday base coat. This is the best for treatment purposes for really good results.

on 10/1/2011 12:37:00 PM

This product really does thicken and harden the nails, but it's a bit difficult to work with - at least as a base coat. It worked fine the first couple of times I used it, but within a month after purchase, it was so thick that it made the colored polish bubble, no matter how long I left it to dry. I thinned it, which helped - for a few days. I'll thin it again, but if you have to thin it everytime you wear it, I assume the hardening effect will be reduced accordingly. Still, it's the only "thickening" product, I've ever tried that actually did work.