August 30, 2014 | 1136 users online

Sunscreen - EltaMD - UV Clear SPF 46

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by deb2382

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Finally, a sunscreen that my sensitive skin can tolerate. It also doesn't give me that hideous noticeable white cast that I usually get from physical sunscreens. I'm torn on the packaging - airless pump is hygenic, but it's very bulky for traveling. I'm nearing the end of my second bottle, and have already purchased the third. Overall, I'd recommend it for /acne-prone skin if you are not sensitive to niacinamide.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Project25

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Out of all the sunscreens I've tried this is the best one for my oily, acne-prone skin. I've been using for over 2 weeks and it has really calmed down the redness and irritation I was getting from using Retin-A micro. It goes on smooth and has a beautiful finish. I don't wear foundation so this is a huge bonus for me. It is fragrance-free but I like the clean scent it has. I look forward to putting on each day and it doesn't feel like I have anything on. I still have to blot in the afternoon but it is so much less than before. Highly recommend. Only con is that I live in Canada and have to order online and ends up costing me $50 but it's worth it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 8:31:00 AM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I tried this because of the niacin in it, hoping it would help my rosacea & be a decent sunscreen, I found it too irritating & drying...and I have pretty oily skin. I did turn red after a day in the sun with it, but I don't know if that is because of irritation from the product vs lack of sun protection. I tossed it still 3/4 full.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 2:57:00 PM More reviews by FYI

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the only sunscreen that hasn't broken me out. I'm almost 44 and have suffered acne my entire adult life. I asked a friend what she used because her skin always looks beautiful and she suggested I try this.

I ordered it from Amazon and have used it for two straight weeks without a single breakout. My skin looks so much smoother and less red. It doesn't make me look like a ghost at all and my mineral makeup in powder form goes on beautifully over it.

I also purchased the Physical block and one other, I think oil free. I plan on trying the physical next (it has a slight tint to it). I like to give each new product a full 2 weeks because that's the point when I know if it's going to cause a problem!

I wish the price was a little cheaper but it will not keep me from purchasing. I wish I had found this many years ago:)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2014 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My skin: oily/dehydrated, very clog prone, sensitive

I used this sunscreen for two months. All was well the first month, then it went downhill. I have very oily skin, and this made my skin more oily and flaky by the end of the day. I've gone back to using Shiseido's Urban Environment SPF 40 Cream,which is possibly my HG sunscreen, and my skin is improving every day.

Pros: helped reduce redness, seemed to help with breakouts until it clogged every pore after a month of use
Cons: clogged my pores, gave me cystic acne on my chin, dehydrated my skin, eventually caused a burning sensation after applying it, made my skin feel extra greasy (never dried matte on me)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 12:13:00 AM More reviews by gingercurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen is great for my oily, sensitive, and clog-prone fair skin. It is very lightweight and is neither mattifying or greasy. It absorbs quickly into my skin and does not pill or ball up under makeup or over serums. Another great thing about this sunscreen is that it has zero fragrance and does not have any flashback in photos.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2014 4:05:00 PM More reviews by cpapa

The best sunscreen I have used for my combination skin. I love this because it combines both a physical and chemical block, and it doesn't leave a white cast on my medium skin. I have re-purchased this product many times and recommend it to all my friends.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Ravenn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was previously using Neutrogena sunscreen with helioplex. I decided to switch to Elta MD SPF 46 because I needed something more suited to sensitive skin. The Neutrogena would make my skin burn and itch, but I'm glad to say Elta MD does not! I apply it over my moisturizer and it leaves my skin smooth and soft! The silicones in this sunscreen act as a great primer for my BB cream to go over and I love that because I'm always trying to cut down the amount of product I layer on my face. I also love that this sunscreen does not have dimethicone in it, which is extremely clogging on my sensitive skin. Great packaging also with the pump. I would recommend this to anyone who reacts to products easily.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by bittersweetjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the best sunscreen I have ever used. My dermatologist recommended it for my sensitive, oily, rosacea-affected skin, and I have to say, it is amazing for my skin type. It feels like a lightweight moisturizer when applied (not heavy or sticky like some sunscreens.) It's not mattifying (doesn't claim to be) but it doesn't exacerbate my oiliness, and that is good enough for me. I let it soak in for a couple of minutes, and apply foundation. I also like that it comes in an airtight pump. One pump covers my face, neck and chest. Fantastic product.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2013 12:26:00 AM More reviews by sbhonda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

At first I thought I liked this because it definitely is better than some other sunscreens I've tried, but I've gradually realized I don't actually like it very much.

First of all, this does leave a white-cast on me and I am pretty pale to begin with.

Second, it stings my skin, some times more than others, and I wouldn't really consider my skin sensitive. I'm talking about times when I didn't have any acne on my face, no open lesions or cracked skin or anything like that.

Third, I don't like the way it feels on my skin. If I accidentally rub my face or scratch an itch or something, it will basically pill up. It's basically like a film on top of my face that never really feels like it sinks in or sets. It doesn't exactly feel GREASY, but it's similar.

Fourth, I avoid putting this anywhere near my eyes because, even if I keep it pretty far away from my eyes, it still somehow ends up getting in them. And oh boy does that sting!

That said, it hasn't caused me any breakouts and it does keep me from getting burned. It may suit your skin more than it suits mine, but I personally do not like it. I do like the airless pump it comes in, though. I wish more products came in that sort of packaging because it makes it so much easier to get all the product out.

Thankfully, I have found a sunscreen I LOVE to replace this. It's the CoTZ face sunscreen. The one I have has a slight tint in it, which might show up on me in the winter, but they also make one without the tint. It's silicone based so it's sooooo smooth and blends in so well. I can't imagine I would get any white cast from it even if I had the non-tinted version because it blends in so incredibly well. I also like that it is physical sunscreen only, not physical AND chemical like the UV Clear. I think the chemical sunscreen may be what bothers my skin. If you have tried the Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer, the CoTZ feels very similar to it because they're both silicone based. As a result, the CoTZ also works great under makeup.

I would like to try the EltaMD UV Physical because it is cheaper than the CoTZ, but the CoTZ isn't too expensive either. $20 for 1.5 oz at ULTA, so it's similar to the UV Clear. The UV Physical, on the other hand, comes with 3 oz for ~$27-30. Not a huge difference, so while I intend to buy the UV Physical next, unless it is as good or better than CoTZ, I will switch back to CoTZ. Especially since I can get it at ULTA, which is convenient.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No