December 18, 2014 | 1384 users online

Sunscreen - EltaMD - UV Clear SPF 46

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by luciferrouslux

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's an okay product. I feel like it might be causing some breakouts or irritation because every time I use it I find a few red bumps at the end of the day. Zinc oxide along with cctinoxate are the active ingredients in this sunblock. Zinc oxide is supposed to be drying, and this product does make your face look a little dry but also oily at the same time, which is why I don't like it. My face ends up looking dehydrated and oily even with moisturizer underneath, and It's too drying to use alone without a moisturizer. I have to use a powder with this to get rid of the shine which is an added step in the morning. Too much powder = even more tight feeling on the face. Too little powder = shiny face. There is a slight white cast, but unless you're quite dark it shouldn't make a huge difference. Overall, I like that it offers physical protection with zinc oxide, but I dislike that it contains octinoxate (I personally don't like chemical spf blockers) and leaves that dehydrated but oily look. It's a bit on the pricey side too considering it's mediocre performance. The plus side is it feels relatively light on the skin for a physical blocker, and the pump dispenser is fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by Anieves19

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Feels lightweight while applying it, my face gets a shiny look right after aplication but after makeup routine my face looks more even and healthy and some shine remains but doesnt look bad at all and I know it is not oiliness because my blotting paper comes out clean, so far I like it but I havent been exposed to the sun as much to confirm it really protects from burning, for my occasional exposure during the day it does the job

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by bubbelytoes

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am currently having the absolute worst time finding a sunscreen suitable for my skin. In the past, I've had very oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. I now have oily, reactive skin and rosacea. Before, I'd been able to use Vichy's Fuide Extreme on a daily basis with no issues. Unfortunately that's no longer the case.

As I use retinol and some skin lightening products, I need to find something for daily use. I've tried Cotz, which I think would be perfect for the beach, but it did not work for me to use everyday. I tested one from La Roche Posay (I can't recall exactly which one) and it burned my skin immediately. So bad, in fact, I ran back to the bathroom to wash my face and slather it with Avene Tolerance. After some research, I ordered EltaMD's UV Clear SPF 46. I've been testing it for about a week now. (With my reactive skin, I can tell pretty quickly whether something is going to work.) It feels so good going on. It disappears perfectly into my fair skin. It has significantly decreased any redness I'm having, whether from the rosacea or minor irritations. For a few days, I thought this was going to be IT for me. As the week's progressed, I've noticed tightness all over my face as well as tiny, dry, flaky patches on my cheeks, forehead, and sides of my nose. Even as I put on cream blush with my fingertips, my skin feels ever so slightly sandpaper-esque. I have never experienced this before on my face. I feel like it has curbed some oil production, which for extra-oily skins would be super-welcome, but with the pop-up flaky spots, I'm wondering if it isn't too much for my skin's current state.

In all, I would absolutely recommend this sunscreen, especially to those with oilier skins. No fragrance, clearing up redness, decent everyday-wear sun protection. However, it just doesn't seem to work with my skin right now. I think next I may try their UV Facial Broad-Spectrum SPF 30 Plus with Skin Actives niacinamide added in. I'm at such a loss for a daily sunscreen. If anyone reading has a suggestion for skin like mine, I'd be much obliged!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2014 9:45:00 AM More reviews by AJ3141

This has become my daily moisturizer. I don't even consider it a sunscreen--that's how lightweight and easy to put on it is! I have extremely oily skin and have finally found a high daily spf that works for it! This does not break me out, spreads evenly and quickly, and my powder makeup looks great over it. It is completely scentless so no one knows I'm wearing sunscreen. I don't even use a makeup primer anymore because the results are the same. I spent $30 on this on Amazon (it's available for the Prime 2-day shipping) and will gladly do it again. My only gripe is that it's hard to tell how much of the product is left since the bottle is opaque. I'm planning on buying a backup regardless so this isn't a huge issue for me. If you have oily skin, I'd highly recommend this sunscreen!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2014 1:48:00 PM More reviews by Gossers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My dermo recommended this and had talked up about how thin and non-greasy it was. Well I tried it twice and it was not only greasy, but also pilled like nobody's business! I couldn't even put makeup over it as the pills were evenly spread across my face. It also burned a little, which is strange since I've always used physical sunscreen. Oh well, in the return pile it goes!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by deb2382

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Finally, a sunscreen that my sensitive skin can tolerate. It also doesn't give me that hideous noticeable white cast that I usually get from physical sunscreens. I'm torn on the packaging - airless pump is hygenic, but it's very bulky for traveling. I'm nearing the end of my second bottle, and have already purchased the third. Overall, I'd recommend it for /acne-prone skin if you are not sensitive to niacinamide.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Project25

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Out of all the sunscreens I've tried this is the best one for my oily, acne-prone skin. I've been using for over 2 weeks and it has really calmed down the redness and irritation I was getting from using Retin-A micro. It goes on smooth and has a beautiful finish. I don't wear foundation so this is a huge bonus for me. It is fragrance-free but I like the clean scent it has. I look forward to putting on each day and it doesn't feel like I have anything on. I still have to blot in the afternoon but it is so much less than before. Highly recommend. Only con is that I live in Canada and have to order online and ends up costing me $50 but it's worth it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2014 8:31:00 AM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I tried this because of the niacin in it, hoping it would help my rosacea & be a decent sunscreen, I found it too irritating & drying...and I have pretty oily skin. I did turn red after a day in the sun with it, but I don't know if that is because of irritation from the product vs lack of sun protection. I tossed it still 3/4 full.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 2:57:00 PM More reviews by FYI

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the only sunscreen that hasn't broken me out. I'm almost 44 and have suffered acne my entire adult life. I asked a friend what she used because her skin always looks beautiful and she suggested I try this.

I ordered it from Amazon and have used it for two straight weeks without a single breakout. My skin looks so much smoother and less red. It doesn't make me look like a ghost at all and my mineral makeup in powder form goes on beautifully over it.

I also purchased the Physical block and one other, I think oil free. I plan on trying the physical next (it has a slight tint to it). I like to give each new product a full 2 weeks because that's the point when I know if it's going to cause a problem!

I wish the price was a little cheaper but it will not keep me from purchasing. I wish I had found this many years ago:)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2014 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My skin: oily/dehydrated, very clog prone, sensitive

I used this sunscreen for two months. All was well the first month, then it went downhill. I have very oily skin, and this made my skin more oily and flaky by the end of the day. I've gone back to using Shiseido's Urban Environment SPF 40 Cream,which is possibly my HG sunscreen, and my skin is improving every day.

Pros: helped reduce redness, seemed to help with breakouts until it clogged every pore after a month of use
Cons: clogged my pores, gave me cystic acne on my chin, dehydrated my skin, eventually caused a burning sensation after applying it, made my skin feel extra greasy (never dried matte on me)