September 30, 2014 | 1046 users online

Pressed Powders - Laura Mercier - Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder - Shine Control

rated 2 of 5 on 3/6/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by kpodaru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

laura mercier is one of my fav brands but this power was super disappointing.

i found the powder to be too cakey/talc-like and the sponge applicator terrible because it picks up so much and turns you into a powdered corpse if you don't use a brush.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by phoebe22

been using this for a while now- hit the pan. but when i use this i have to reapply constantly. i will agree with others and say that it does not cake...but it also doesnt control anything. so i will not repurchase. nothing compares to MAC blot powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2011 12:26:00 PM More reviews by KGirl24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This stuff is AMAZING! During the day my t-zone gets oily and my foundation tends to lift off of my skin. Not a pretty sight! I put this on just across my forehead, nose, chin, and under my eyes and my face stays matte. Not a mask-like matte, just oil-free. This sets my makeup perfectly and I haven't found the need to touch up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2011 7:31:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the first pressed powder I have bought and used. Normally I just wear Tarte Park Ave Princess bronzer in matt. But I really needed something to prevent the oiliness from creeping onto my forehead and nose area during the day/night. This seems to do the trick. It goes on beautifully as a base, leaving no white cast. I did read the reviews and was confused about the "green tint" comments. It seemed white/translucent to me. But then I read the ingredients and saw "chromium oxide greens" listed. Next time I looked at it I did see it had a slight green tint. This is great for me, as I have mild rosacea and get red across my nose and cheeks. Occasionally for a night out I wear foundation in this area and this pressed powder seals it in and finishes off my look flawlessly. It doesn't irritate my skin or cause breakouts. And my bronzer goes on smoothly after. Overall, I'm loving it and would repurchase. It gives a soft effect on the skin, controls shine, and creates a smooth base for bronzer or whatever you personally would apply after. I use a large powder brush to apply it, not the sponge it comes with. I highly recommend giving it a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2011 12:59:00 PM More reviews by Yoshi3329

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Out of all the Laura Mercier powders this is the best. Hand down. I absolutely love the soft focus effect and I don't know how it does it, but it does! I apply it on my nose and the pose just vanish, I'm still in all and I carry wherever I go.

I have dark skin and I was afraid that if I used it wouldn't look right on me. But it really does providing that you don't use the sponge they give you. It's very cheap and they recommend that you use the flocked (suede) side for a light touch or the sponge side for heavier coverage. That was laughable to me. LM and I must have a different definition when it comes to a light touch because the flocked (suede) side picked up way to much and left a white cast on my nose to the point that two men where staring at me. The sponge side feels like garbage and didn't pick up anything really. I use use a fluffy brush for the application and it applies the right amount every single time. Every time I go back to using the sponge they gave I regret it every single time.

Other than that cheap sponge the product is great, it comes with a mirror, the packaging it beautiful, and it's the first pressed powder I've ever used. I've always wanted the soft focus effect that I see on the magazines and now I've got it!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/20/2011 1:46:00 PM More reviews by addicted2products

I purchased this as an alternative to the pressed translucent powder. I thought the slight green tint would help counteract redness. I'm not sure what purpose this relatively "new" product serves. I would not repurchase because it does not do anything better/different than the pressed translucent powder. The sponge it comes with is very flimsy and cheap, but I appreciate the fact you can apply on-the-go.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by pcjo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is probably the best setting powder I have used..........not cakey but must be used with a brush and light hand. Not really mattifying but enough for me with a natural glow. Does not settle in wrinkles or pores. First time ever for me to hit pan with a translucent powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 9:43:00 PM More reviews by babraham

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this powder (translucent matte version). It goes on beautifully and is so fine you can't feel it at all, except for the silky smoothness that you'll feel if you run your fingers on your skin. Any oiliness goes away immediately and it really makes my makeup blend well. The packaging is really cute (subtly sparkly purple. yay!) so its no biggie to re-apply if you get oily during the day. I have no idea what the people who mentioned the greenish tinge are talking about, though. It's completely translucent. The only thing I don't like about this product is the applicator sponge it comes with. It really should have a fabric pad because the sponge absorbs way more powder than it applies. I use a big facial brush to put this on instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2010 11:08:00 PM More reviews by chanelmontes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This finishing powder is pretty darn nice. It's so smooth and velvety and picks up right on my powder brush with ease. It blends really well into my face over my foundation and doesn't sit on top of my skin at all. One time I even put more powder than I normally would to see what it would do, but it just kept blending into my skin controlling shine and creating a beautiful matte surface. You would have never known I just piled on powder. Love the greenish tint to as I get red sometimes around my nose and it reduces that well. I was skeptical at paying $32 for it at first but it was way worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2010 12:54:00 PM More reviews by joankate

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this in combination with LM's creme smooth foundation and this is a very good shine control pressed powder, but morever it is fantastic for neutralizing redness. I have oily, acne-prone skin and this doesn't cause any problems, no breakouts. This product is talc-free, so it doesn't have quite the same oil absorbing effect of other talc-based powders, but it still does its job effectively. If you use a shine-control primer with this, I think it will do the trick for you. One caveat, if you don't have much redness in your skin - the greenish tint of the powder may make your skin appear somewhat sallow. Also, this is great for toning down blush if you overdo it. You can apply this with the sponge enclosed - patting it on the oily spots (not swiping) or you can use a brush. I alternate and either way it looks good. The packaging is very streamlined and will slip into even the smallest purse. Really nice.