August 21, 2014 | 2161 users online

Treatments (Face) - Philosophy - Miracle Worker Retinoid Pads

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2011 9:24:00 AM More reviews by ndebace

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to say, I really like Philospohy shower and fragrance products, but their skincare is a joke. Shamefully, I bought into the hype when this first came out and got the 15 day trial set from Sephora to see what it's all about. First of all, the packaging is ridiculous. They always claim they are all about the science, but Retinol and Retinoids are very sensitive to light. So why is the initial container for the Retinoid a protective dark glass bottle and then the jar that you pour it into to keep for the next 15, 30, 60, 90 days (depending on the size you buy) a white plastic container that does NOTHING to protect the integrity of the product? You are losing potency every day that product is out of that bottle. This goes for all of their other products too (Hope in a Jar, etc). Honestly, it just makes me mad - do they think we are idiots? On top of that, the product itself is just unpleasant. The pads are stiff and scratchy and hurt to use (even when soaked) and the product itself is so sticky - could not stand the way it felt. It also made me break out. Bottom line: You can get great retinol and retinoid products from your dermatologist or from other over the counter companies that really deliver and protect their products - Try Isomers Retiniacin, for example. Or, skip the retinol/retinoids and try Azelaic Acid (Finacea gel). That is, by far, the BEST product I have found to refine the texture and quality of my skin. Plus, my dermatologist had coupons which made it less expensive than these sticky, useless pads.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2011 4:48:00 PM More reviews by countrycats

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am similar to some other reviewers in the aspect that I noticed the difference these made AFTER I stoppped using them in the summer when I couldn't stand anything on my face at night when it's hot..
I definatly see smoother,more even toned skin when I use these,,,right now I am using every other night,and follow up in the a.m with the a.m formula ones (which you can also cut in half)
I have these on a QVC AD,and will stay on it as long as they keep working the way they do!
Just took off 1 lippie for the price...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2011 12:18:00 AM More reviews by cibar55

This is a LONG review, but I hope you take the time to read it through.

Like many of other reviewers, I was first exposed to The Miracle Worker Retinoid Pads from QVC - what the heck, 5 easy pays, 30-day return policy. I tried the MWR pads and "hope in jar" (based on "Oprah's Favorite Things) for three months. I noticed my skin was nice and moisturized, but I wasn't working and was not in the mirror everyday putting on makeup so I wasn't paying a ton of attention to what my skin looked like. Then ... because I wasn't working, I couldn't afford it any longer and stopped using the pads when I ran out. I was working out every day...eating perfectly with lots of fruits, veggies and water...no junk at all...losing weight, getting great sleep...felt like a million bucks, but my face just looked dull. I couldn't understand, I thought it should be "glowing". That's when it hit me. I didn't notice how good my skin looked using it until I actually stopped using it!! Well, you better believe I found a way to get it again. Sure enough...it really does work for me. I am 55 and have been blessed with genetically sound skin. Not that translucently beautiful skin, but no wrinkles at all except the "11's" between my eyes and beginning to get dark circles under my eyes and occasionally will get a blemish or two, a little patchy color here and there - certainly not perfect skin, and certainly not skin that could go without makeup.

Went back to work...makeup routine every day again...then one day a couple of months ago I was sitting at my magnifying makeup mirror with concealer in hand - you know how it becomes kind of automatic...started at the dark circles...when to the little red patch on my left check (which is almost completely gone) and then started looking around for the normal "spots" to cover. I sat staring...THERE WERE NONE! I couldn't believe it. It was that "AHA" moment Ophra talks about. I was so stunned. You should have seen the look on my face! And then I smiled BIG, REALLY BIG...and shook my head...like, "Yeah Rock Star!". It was awesome!!!! BTW, the "11's" are SIGNIFICANTLY reduced - they were getting deep before ... now they are really only visible when I frown.

For my face, I now use only a tiny bit of concealer under my eyes and a VERY light dusting of Pure Minerals powder all over and a bit of blush on my cheeks and my skin looks amazing...really amazing!! (of course, I do use eye makeup and lips also) My girlfriends were asking me all the time what "makeup" I was using...not thinking, I was telling them.. and then realized myself, it's not the makeup...it's the MWR Pads. I have converted them one by one and they all feel the same way. I will never stop using this product. Like many others I use every drop of that pad and solution...face, neck, chest, tops of hands (every age spot has disappeared), forearms, and elbows. In the beginning I used the pads pretty much every night. Now that my skin is AMAZING I tend to use them every other day to help get more bang for my buck (I do like the idea about cutting the pads in half - will try that next time).

FYI, I have also recently started to use the MW serum every night - great stuff and the MW moisturizer (gifts), but only 2 or 3 nights a week for the moisturizer (it is heavy, but great - I use it kind of like a weekly hair conditioner - just don't need it every night) and then use "hope in a jar" every morning and the nights I don't use the MW moisturizer. YOU NEED TO GIVE THIS A CHANCE, LADIES!! You need at least a month of steady use to see the real results...what you finally notice is "what you don't notice" any longer. You just kind of suddenly look better and need way less makeup. It's like a lot of things...a product is not going to work the same for everyone, but it sure works for me! I would be perfectly happy with just the MWR Pad and hope in a jar for the rest of my life.

If you watch QVC you can get really great deals on this stuff and get secured prices and auto-delivery and easy pay. I have started my 18 year daughter on purity cleanser and hope in a jar...she adores it... maybe she won't need Miracle Worker at all when she is my age! "-)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2011 7:59:00 AM More reviews by bellisimma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm in my 20s, so don't have wrinkles yet, but am using this for preventative purposes. I love these pads! They have made my skin look smoother and more even...honestly a little airbrushed. I looked in the mirror today and thought *damn I look good!!* They also help to fade my acne scars. I use it in conjunction w/ Neutrogena healthy skin anti wrinkle intensive night cream. I stopped using the pads for a while, and my skin didn't look as great with just the neutrogena. So, I'm going to keep using the pads. The pads look a bit dry when taking them out of the container (like there's nothing on them). Then when you apply it feels oily, but dries quickly. I cut them in half so I get 2x the number of uses...so 1 container lasts 4 mo. And half a pad is more than enough to cover your face.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2011 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Vmichelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have had problems with my skin ever since the birth of my last child and have not been able to control my breakouts. I have taken several prescriptions from dermatologists, used over the counter and prescription topical creams/gels, and had light treatments done to my skin. It all resulted in no change and sometimes over dried skin, large pored skin. I started using the Philosophy Miracle Worker and LOVED IT! It didn't stop me from breaking out, but it did help me keep it under control. My skin is brighter, glowing, firm, and even toned. I just started using my second jar and am 2 days into also using the AM treatment. I'm hoping it works just as wonderfully as Miracle Worker!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2011 8:32:00 AM More reviews by MissMuMu

I have used this for about four months now, I bought and went through one set of this (60 pads = 2months supply), and felt it did not
DRAMATICALLY improved my skin tone or texture or clarity, but stuck with it anyway, thinking of course, things take time.
Bought a second set and used about 10 pads into it, this time in conjunction with the AM retinoid pads, which was recently released, holly moley! breakouts galore!!! I am returning this since discovering the Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle pads...will give that a try and see what happens. They are also cheaper ($45 as opposed to $60 for the PM and $58 for the AM for Philosophy).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2011 8:44:00 PM More reviews by donna409

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love these pads. I have purchased and swapped for them repeatedly. I am normally not that impressed with Philosophy skin care products other than the Purity made simple which I think is a good every day cleanser. But, these pads are great for my skin. I notice a difference immediatly after using them. I use them normally every other day and think they really help with the texture and glow of my skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Girlfit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I received a 7 day trial of this and have just completed using this 7 days in a row (more or less, I might have skipped one day). WHAT A FAIL!

I have used high potency retinoids in the past, including prescription strength Retin-A and my skin is just far too sensitive to use them so I thought I would give this a try. Not only did I think this did NOTHING to improve my skin, I actually think it made it WORSE. And I'm not talking about the usual skin purging that you might have with a retinol, I think this actually CAUSED blemishes.

I'm nursing a bunch of small non-inflammatory papules along my jaw line and a huge nodular one next to my nose.

There is quite a bit of silicones in the solution and believe me, when you put this on your face, its feels like you are just slathering on straight up cyclomethicone all over your skin. And yes, I do know what pure cyclomethicone would feel like as I buy lots of different raw materials to make my own body and bath products.

Not only would I never use this again, I would tell people to run away from buying this as much as possible. My recommendation is that if you sensitive to retinoids but want the same type of skin benefitting product is to get a high potency peptide serum which will give you the same benefit of a retinoid but without the irritation.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2011 7:03:00 PM More reviews by SinCity

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I switched to this product based on a recommendation from a friend. I have used other retinol products, including Green Cream, with some success, but in recent times my skin had become very dry and I was having trouble combating the drying effect of the retinoids. I really did not have high expectations for this product, but after 8 weeks of nightly use along with the anti-aging moisturizer (am and pm) my skin looks clear and refined, and my wrinkles seem to be improved. I don't have much discoloration so I can't speak to whether it is really effective for that purpose. It was at least four weeks before I started to feel confident about my results. Unlike other retinoids, this product did not cause my skin to purge or flake (there may have been a pimple or two early on) so I really wondered if it was doing anything. But I like the results I see now, and I have not changed anything else in my routine. I do find it problematic that Philosophy does not reveal how much retinol is in the product. They seem to focus on their much touted delivery method "HPR." I just ordered the full-size Miracle Worker kit, which is a great value, and I am going to add the anti-aging concentrate to my nightly regime.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by andrewkyle

I really liked this product!
I got it as a christmas present and started using it the first of january and lasted me up until the end of february and used it every night! (might have missed a night or 3, oops)
I have sensitive, uneven skin and it wasn't harsh on my skin at all!
it did improve the texture of my skin but not as much as i had hoped it would, but it really helped control breakouts.
once i stopped using it my skin went back to its stubborn self within a week of not using it.
If you're willing to pay the price every 2 months then I say go for it and try it out.