March 1, 2015 | 1703 users online

Highlighters - E.L.F. - Studio Shimmer Palette

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by bee95x

When I read about this I thought it would be a great palette to buy and given the price, it seemed too good to be true. However, after using it my views changed. It's almost like the shades melt away... it's really weird. Plus, not all the colours suit every skin tone - for example, the silvery/white shade is way too loud for someone with tan skin.

The palette can supposedly be used for the lips as well. It looks highly unflattering when I tried. I would rather purchase separate shimmery colours than go for this. Plus, the brush they provide is horrible. No wonder they've just tossed it in with the palette. Of course, each to its own. Try it out for yourself - but I would not recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by elles143

I bought this because it was dirt cheap and I like how it came with 4 colours so I could experiment with highlighting.

I would say this product is decent but to be honest, it didn't do a lot for me. I found it to be a little too slick and I didn't really get the look I was looking for with this. Also, all the colours ended up looking the same on my face, which negated one of the initial reasons I had purchased this.

If you're on a budget and need a basic and a shimmer that isn't obviously shimmery, this will probably work for you. I now prefer powder highlighters but if I use a cream base, I go to my Joe Fresh cream highlighter in "Champagne".

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 5:40:00 PM More reviews by lmhamner

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love to use this as a highlighter. It is definitely a great deal. How it wears and the consistency is exactly like Urban Decay's urbanglow cream highlighter! I have the UD highlighter in Sin and the only difference between that and the ELF product is the color. I like that the Sin has more of a warm, golden color. The colors in this palette are a bit lighter and more cool-toned and there is not a significant difference between any of the colors. I wish ELF would come out with a warm-toned version of this palette!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2013 4:39:00 PM More reviews by Ancatje

ELF products are more misses than hits with me, but this shimmer palette is definitely a hit!
I am so impressed with this. You CAN see the subtle differences between the shades, unlike previous reviewers said, and we're talking even on my paler than pale skin. It's very creamy and easy to work with and it's a great multi-task highlighter for face & eyes, and even collarbone for example. On eyes I would only recommend them over a good primer though, otherwise they would crease because they are so creamy. There's no glitter in here, just fine shimmer, so it looks as natural as a product like this can do.
Only thing is, I don't think this would be suitable for darker skinned women - I have a feeling all shades would look quite ashy.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2013 12:47:00 PM More reviews by sweetandpetite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I just received this product in the mail from E.L.F.'s website and all I can say is WHERE HAS THIS PRODUCT BEEN ALL OF MY LIFE!? I recently wanted to get into using a highlighter to brighten my face and after swatching every highlighting product you can imagine over the past two weeks, I have found that this is my HG hightlighter! Based on reviews off of here I tried Nars "Albatross" (too gold on my yellow undertone skin and too powdery), Smashbox "Softlights" in shimmer (too ruddy/pink and powdery), Benefit "High Beam" (too pale pink and messy), MAC "Soft & Gentle" (too fake, dark, and shimmery for daytime). BTW, almost all of these have a price tag of almost $30 that I was willing to pay, but this is by far the best highlighter, and it's one tenth of the cost at only $3!

It gives you a dewy fresh glow with NO glitter, it isn't powdery, which means it doesn't rub off. ( I found with Nars and Smashbox that I had to apply many swipes of the powder to get the same glowing effect that I get with just a little of this product). The super lightweight creamy formula is so easy to blend, you can't mess it up, start off with a little product and you can always build on it, a little goes a long way.

There are 4 shades in the palette and, as others have mentioned, when you mix them all together they look the same. On their own, I find that the two middle shades work best for everyday on my fair-medium yellow undertone skin. They give you the perfect NATURAL "glow from within" look! The first shade on the left is white, and similar to and even better of a light "candlelit" effect than Benefit's High Beam. This is great for a more intense nightime highlight (think Morticia Addams, in a good way!). The pink shade on the end is the most pigmented of all of them, if mixed in with the other colors, it is fine for the daytime, but on it's own it is very very pink, I didn't know what to do with it until I recently found if I rub just a little on the apples of my cheeks over my cheek stain it adds a pop of dewy pink glow, very pretty and fun!

The packaging is brilliant. The compact itself is black, sleek and thin so it doesn't take up any extra space and it's very easy to open. Also a plus that it comes with a mirror when you want to go into the light by a window to see how much to put on if you're going to be outside and don't want it to look too strong. It comes with a brush but I find the best way to apply this is with your index finger. Just rub a little on whichever color(s) you want and then blend into the areas you would like to highlight.

My make-up routine right now in the middle of a dry and cold Buffalo winter season is to moisterize, apply primer, concealer, cheek stain, and then this highlighting product just above my cheeks, then a light bronzer all over my face (the highlighter still shows through under powder, but sometimes I'll add a little more over it at the end). I finish it all off with E.L.F.'s High Definition Powder (see my review on this product soon to come!) to make everything look airbrushed and to control my t-zone oiliness.

On a final note, the very best thing about this product is that when I get out of work at 5pm it is still on! This is going to be a must-have, must-use everyday, staple product for me. I've already gotten compliments about how great my skin looks! Again....where has this product been all my life!? :-)

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2012 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Xaephan

I bought this as a highlighter/cream shadow. I was surprised at how thin the product is--it's almost liquidy on your finger or brush, not nearly as thick as what I'm used to with cream shadows. It looks really, really gorgeous, though. There's no obvious chunks of glitter, but it gives a nice, sparkly effect. I was pleasantly surprised at the brush, as well. It actually fits my inner corners perfectly, so highlighting the eyes with it is a breeze. The only thing is that the colours look exactly the same when blended out, and the glitters stay FOREVER. I swatched it on my hand to try out, and I couldn't even wash them off with soap and scrubbing hard.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by nesslee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

i didnt find this product useful for me. first of all, it creases like crazy when its on the eyes. i tried eyeshadow on top of it too and it didnt fix the eyeshadow.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 10:21:00 PM More reviews by raspberrie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this highlighter! This is going to last me for ages, I just need the tiniest amount on my finger to take care of my cheekbones.

There are no obvious chunks of glitter, my skin simply glows when I wear this! The colors blend out to where they look almost identical, so none of them are ever too pink/bronze/white for any look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2012 9:48:00 AM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love love LOVE this little palette! The shimmers are all pretty colours and have a slick, almost watery like feel to them. Once actually on the skin, you can't feel them at all. I find it is easier to control putting this one, than the powder highlighter I bought from Mac (which incidentally cost about 80% more and only has the one colour) and so don't overload on the shimmer.
The actual packaging looks nice - you can't go wrong with a black palette really - and has a mirror in it which is handy. It also comes with a brush, although I haven't used this. I don't think I will either, it's just easier and more precise I think to use my fingers.
My favourite colour is the peachy/bronze one. But I like all of them really. I would definitely buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by soveryartistic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought this almost a year ago for 3.50, and still have plenty of product left. I use it almost every day and absolutely love it! Since I have oily skin, I use a lot of matifying products on my face to keep my skin shine-free and it often looks too mat and flat. I put the tiny bit of product from E.L.F shimmer palette on my cheekbones, top of the lip, bridge of the nose and below eyebrows as a highlighter and my face looks much more fresh. My husband always compliments me!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No