L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

3.4

cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, silica, acrylates copolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, aluminum hydroxide { /- may contain CI 77891/ titanium dioxide/ CI 77491/ iron oxides} FIL D30587/2

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Recently I fell in love with Tarte Clean Slate Timeless Smoothing Primer, which costs $39.00 for .5 oz jar. Naturally, I don't like paying that much for a primer. I read several reviews that compare Studio Secrets Base to Tarte Clean Slate, so I picked up a jar of Studio Secrets when I was at Target. For me, the main thing Studio Secrets Perfecting Base has in common with Tarte Clean Slate, is the packaging. It's pretty much the same color, and it's in the same jar as Tarte. Otherwise, Studio Secrets is thicker, and moist, and it feels like it has a lower concentration of smoothing ingredients than Tarte's primer. It does not control oil as well but it does "plump" lines and make skin feel silky. I might have liked it better if I hadn't spoiled myself with Tarte Clean Slate, but one positive is I need a LOT less of Tarte Clean Slate on my skin, so maybe the cost will even out a bit.

So. This is only the 4th primer I've ever tried in my life.
The first time I tried it, was only on the pores on my cheeks and the lines around my mouth and I was quite happy. Looked OK.
Tried it again today and my cheeks are RED and hot. Clearly something in the product is not agreeing with my skin. So gotta get rid of it.
Had to buy it from eBay UK. $20NZD for the 15ml pot, which I GUESS is OK for a Loreal product from the UK.
But never again!

The first primer I tried ever was Revlon Photoready... which STUNK of plastic. So sold that off.

Second was Rimmel Fix and perfect Pro. Which feels LOVELY, smells really nice and doesn't affect my skin. Makes it feel really silky soft.
Third is Lioele Secret Pore Rich Balm. Which again, smells lovely.

Do any of these primers minimise the looks of pores? NO. *shrug* Don't know why I bother really.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

First of all a little goes a long way. If you use too much your foundation will just ball up.
This has a mousse consistency and I press it in to my skin where I need it.
It does its job of blurring pores, but doesn't last all day. I will look elsewhere... for now it's not bad.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't really use many primers, but I have used a few. This is the worst I have tried. I broke out and it made my skin feel terrible and made my make up look terrible. It costs way too much than what I needs to and is very hard to get any out of the bottle because it ends up under your nails most of the time. It is very hard to put on your face and does not go on evenly. I would not recommend this product and will not be repurchasing. I could not even make it through one full bottle.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have only tried this product once. Truthfully, I didn't have much faith in it. In my eyes, all primers were created equal: silicone-heavy film of a product. For reference, I have used Clinique Pore Refiner(breaks me out) and Sephora's primer(way too oily and heavy) before.

Now onto L'oréal... wow!

I have worn this under my subpar Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation, on my super oily/shiny/sunscreen-laden skin, in Istanbul's hot and humid August weather. It mattified and blurred immediately, and controlled shine all day. Made my foundation stay on all day. Helped smooth out my indented acne scars. The pink colour might have even colour corrected my olive complexion a bit! And the best part, it didn't break me out(at least after one wear, which is usually when a new product breaks me out).

I love the thickness of it, it actually smoothes out flaws. I also like how it doesn't feel heavy despite that. So far, I'm impressed and I plan to purchase it!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a mousse-like pink colored primer in a cute little clear jar. I apply it only where I need it, tzone and eye area. It keeps my makeup in place for the day and gives me an ultra smooth look. There's no scent and no shimmer or anything extra, just a very nice skin smoothing primer!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

It's so ridiculously difficult finding a budget-friendly primer is longwearing, matte, and can smooth out my pores. But right now I use Becca for my oil control so I've just been trying to find a cheap smoothing base until I run out. The cost is pricy considering what you get out of this product. It's in a pot, so it's extremely unhygienic and constantly gets under my fingernails. It's thick and feels heavy on my face. I try to blend it and it does blur my pores for the most part, but it's very difficult top blend. Will use a little longer but won't be repurchasing.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

Container is very small. A little goes a long way with this. You have to rub the product between your fingers to warm it up then apply it. I noticed some flakes only on my cheeks with this product. It worked as a primer but I looked like I had dry cheeks. I switched to the Palladio Primer and LOVE it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros.: makes pores, scars and other imperfections less visible; some oil control.

Cons.: hard to blend; packaging; run out of product fast; makes skin more pale.

This product is the the first primer I tried and the one that works best for me so far. It literally makes the skin more even and ready for the application of foundation. It works equally well for me and someone who is 60 yeras old. So far, the best primer on the market that I could find.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

This is the closest dupe to Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch at only a fraction of the cost. It is very thick so it really covers the pores and helps fill in deeper scars and lines. I only have one issue with it; it doesn't roll on and smooth out as easily as most primers do so a little more effort is required but it is not a deal breaker. I can afford the extra minute to work it in, especially when the results are a very smooth complexion.

Popular Primer/ Correctors