August 1, 2014 | 1542 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by snis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I guess I am in the minority on this product but this LS did not look good on me at all!
I am an NC 43 and it is touted as a good Coral/Orange color for women of color but it was just way too bright for me and not at all flattering. It looked like someone had put an orange crayon on me. As with all of NARS' semi-matte lipsticks, it is dry and really needs a lip balm under it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by scs2dd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this lipcolor! It's a flaming red-orange that's great at picking up golden tones in skin. It's listed as semi-matte but it appears completely so when I apply, yet the formula is comfortable enough to wear all day (not the most moisturizing, though, don't be fooled). I find that after a meal it has faded enough to warrant reapplication, but beyond that, it's lasted six hours on me.
Also, the packaging is sturdy and incredibly sleek-- the velvety bullet feels interesting. I will certainly buy again!

EDIT: Like most matte lipsticks, this is pretty drying and sucks up the lipbalm underneath, no matter how much I apply beforehand. Still won't stop me from wearing it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 3:03:00 AM More reviews by vuvie

Pricey but such a pretty orangey-red. Looks good on yellow asian skin.

A little dry but most matte lipsticks are. From matte lipsticks point of view though, the most moisturising.

Not as orangey as I would like. This is has more blue than most orangey-red lipstick. Eyeing Nars Red Square for the real orangey-red.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2013 5:51:00 PM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Hands down the best orange-red lippie shade ever made! If you are like me, a gal who loves oranges, reds, and brights in general you definitely want to invest in this one! Sometimes my NC25/30 skin has issues with reds wherein they can bring out a pink look in my skin. But not this one- I have seen Heatwave on very dark and light complexions of all types of undertones and its always chic and flattering. This color also gives the teeth a whiter appearance which is great. I don't find the matte formula too drying in comparison to other mattes either... Its a bit pricey but I doubt any other colors come close to this as a doupe because its so unique therefore I do feel the price is justified. Plus this isn't an everyday shade so spreading out the $24 bucks over the time it takes to use it up so really it evens out IMO.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Maggc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Semi-matte red lippy with an orange undertone. Love it, it brightenings up my entire makeup and makes my teeth appear white! However, it can be quite tricky to apply especially the edges of the lips. I might have to get the lip liner in Heat Wave to prevent bleeding. Also, it can be quite drying so I will prep my lips with lip balm first before application.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2012 6:37:00 AM More reviews by linz75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

NARS Heat Wave is absolutely the best orange red ever made.
It is thick without over-drying, the color just perfectly glide on my lips.
The color is so fresh and bright but definitely not tacky. It will just light up a tired/unfresh face.
Love it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by caoscalmo

I am an asian girl with fair complexion (Dior-Forever030). I fell in love with this semi-matte red with orange undertone from NARS. The color is bright and it has more red than MAC's lady danger which was exactly what I was looking for. The staying power is wonderful, it lasts long, doesn't smear and the color is consistent. If you would like to have more moisture with this lipstick you can always add a layer of lipbalm before using it, wait for a little bit then put this lipstick on, you just have to put on a bit more than if you put it on directly, because the balm has a tendency to soften the color a little.

I really love this red-orange lipstick, sexy and complements my fair skin with excellent staying power. will definitely repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by jamie_amber

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like the color...I was torn between this and MAC's lady danger...and this seemed to have more of a "buildable" color. its a very orange based red, and looks good on my warm skintone.

Its super expensive, and luckily I had received a Sephora giftcard and it allowed me to splurge.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2012 5:10:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

This has such great reviews and I do love a good red, so I couldn't resist picking this up. Unfortunately, although people say it looks good on everyone and I am really open-minded about dramatic colours, this does not look good on me. It doesn't look orangey at all and, like another highly rated Nars lipstick Catharge, it just sits like a coat on my lips. I don't think I will be buying Nars lip colours again.

Update: I have upgraded this to 3 lippies as I find that this works for my skin if I apply with a lighter hand but I was really hoping for a deep orangey red colour which it doesn't seem to be. Also, be warned - it looks really different in different lights.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by lovelyvi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a red/orange lipstick that would give me coverage and work with my skin tone. This is perfect! Great for WOC. It's a semi-matte formula which means you get all the color and look of a matte lipstick without having it cake and dry up like other matte lipsticks. It's the best lipstick I've ever had.