July 30, 2014 | 2135 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2014 7:45:00 PM More reviews by dingodaze

I have absolutely never written a review, or even considered writing a review. A little selfish of me considering I read hundreds of makeupalley reviews daily! (Slow desk job, I have a lot of time on my hands). Being a makeup junkie that loves to look nice and presentable (who doesn't) but has no artistic abilities and doesn't want to spend any more time than necessary on getting ready - this stuff has been a godsend to me. I am no makeup wiz, and often end up with less than identical eye makeup and less than perfect hair. Doesn't really bother me, I'm used to it. The only thing that I can not handle, is my skin. I have battled with acne prone skin that's extremely sensitive, oily AND dry. As well as bouts of eczema that seem to be triggered by just about anything when it feels like rearing its ugly head.

This is definitely HG. I have tried hundreds...literally hundreds, of foundations. Most left with me with and oil slick face by midafternoon, and those that didn't broke me out. Some references for ladies that might have similar skin and take some advice from this review:

Monistat chafing gel as a primer? Breakouts!
Organix Argan Oil conditioner? Back breakouts!
Period time? more breakouts than normal, but nothing crazy
Burt's bees gel cleanser? Deep cystic breakouts that take FOREVER to disappear
Naked 1 and 3 eyeshadow? dry patches on eyelid from eczema (though I keep using cause those rosey tones in 3 got me hooked!)
Revlon ColorStay? (tried multiple times with multiple shades, both formulations. Still got oily and never understood the hype!)
Boots foundation was *pretty* good for awhile...until I moved from Texas to Portland and it somehow changed.

My previous HG was Estee Lauder double wear lite. I have bought 4 or 5 different bottles of this and was positive I had found my match. I still like it and would use it if I didn't have Lucy on hand. I get a little bit oily but not too bad. If Lucy doesn't work I would definitely reccomend a stop at the Estee Lauder counter!

So, on to the review. The website has a TON of shades which is awesome for a light skin brunette with cool eyes/lips/hair and a weirdly yellow based skin tone. Pale Olive is an exact match! Though I can get away with light as long as I don't go near any florescent lighting! You can order a trial size for 2.50 which is AWESOME. I ordered 3 foundations (Lucy Light) and 2 blushes 1 bronzer (light bronzer which is beeeaaauutiful). The trials appear to be teeny tiny, but pack a punch and last for weeks (I've even spilled MULTIPLE times..which I will get to later).
It's an almost creamy powder, that I had no faith in when I first received my trial sizes. (I am NOT a powder girl. Those dry patches make powder the death of me!) I received them coming off of one of the worst cystic acne breakouts I have ever had along my chin (I suspect it is because of the Burt's Bees gel acne cleanser...stay far away from that stuff!) and was desperately finding something to cover the problem yet not exaserbate it. I had read about Lucy a couple of times but never really thought about it after writing off Bare Minerals time and again. After hundreds of reviews and the cheapness of the trial sizes, I bit the bullett and places my order. They arrived promptly 4 days later and I could not WAIT to get the stuff on my face.

The pakaging is not good, it will get everywhere. But it's a loose powder what can you do?!
Also I'm extremely clumsy, and my boyfriend is used to makeup on the floor/counter. ANYWAY.

Just a quick tap of the brush and some circular motions on my face. Dab of concealer, contouring brozer, and a hint of blush and I was done. Took no time at all...and I looked like a mother f***ing movie star. Literally, I was glowing. It was beautiful. I was so excited I couldn't contain myself.

I tried to calm myself down...this has happened before. Only to turn me orange, break me out, or slide of my face by noon. The test would be during my 9 hour work shift. I'll shorten this up and just tell you, I looked as good at 5 as I had at 7:30 and only did a light little dabble around lunch. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING BUY IT NOW. Seriously. I have been furiously typing this review for the past 20 minutes because, it is THAT GOOD.

If you have problem skin like me...you will be kicking yourself for not trying it sooner.
If you order 10 bucks, the shipping is free so what do you have to lose? I promise you won't be disappointed!

Happy shopping ladies!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by supergal197

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only powder foundation i will use. I'm not really a fan of powders, especially loose, but this is the only brand i've found that actually matches my skin tone. I have a fair-light olive skintone, between pale olive and creamy olive in this foundation. It is really difficult to find foundations with an olive undertone, and the few out there are geared to more medium-tan olive skin, which is too dark for me. I love that they offer so many shades. This foundation can build up to pretty good coverage for a powder. I have a lot to cover so it doesnt cover everything, but i can build it up enough that i can look presentable. Its good for everyday wear. I dont like how messy it is, but thats what you get with loose powders. It looks pretty natural too once it settles into your skin. Overall i really like this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by frenchconnection

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is for the Lucy Light formula. I wish I could give it 10 stars!! I have battled SD and malassszia folluculitis for a long time. I must avoid oils, fatty alcohols, cones, etc. So, what to do about a foundation?? I ordered samples after reading reviews and asking lots of questions. I hit the nail on the head with light-medium shade. This stuff makes my oily skin look like velvet. I do not get oily separation, either. Also, no turning orange. Did I mention no irritation or itching, too? I also noticed it provides some sun protection, but I don't believe it's SPF rated. Thank you, Lucy Minerals, for a fabulous product that is simple, clean and beautiful!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2014 7:31:00 PM More reviews by SayIt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Amazing customer service!!! I love the coverage and it last all day. They have great shadow colors and I absolutely love the eyeliner pencils. I use quest & meteor.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 11:33:00 AM More reviews by ahoymaite

This is the only mineral makeup I've found with full enough coverage that looks natural and can be applied quickly. The finish is polished but natural. I've used the regular formula in the past when I was dealing with acne issues, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to people who are suffering from dry skin and healing acne bumps. It will look cakey and dry. But once you get your skin issues sorted out, the finish is sooo nice. I wouldn't advise putting it in areas where you have fine lines, though. It tends to sink into them and make them look worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Pimpinett

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have recently switched to Lucy Minerals Oil Control Silica after having used Alima for years. The shipping cost became too steep, I felt like I was paying twice as much as I used to a few years back, and it has been working less well than it used to with my skin, too. A friend has been wearing Lucy Minerals for a long time and recommended it very warmly, and with the shipping cost accounted for it's about half the price of Alima, so I looked at the shade she's wearing, tried out a sample of hers and gambled on a pot. Got another full size pot with it, they seem to have frequent special offers.

I have dehydrated skin with a very oily t-zone and frequent breakouts, and silicone primers usually work well for me, so I took a chance on Oil Control Silica. I like it. The finish is nice and natural-looking, not powdery, it keeps me reasonably non-greasy for a fairly long time and never seems to dissolve in a complete oil slick. It holds up well during the day, staying power is good and I hardly see any signs of separating or melting into pores even after 10-12 hours. Coverage is quite a bit better than Alima, and after three or four weeks I see no signs of it aggravating my breakouts; if anything, my skin is better. It emphasises flakes on my dry cheeks, but no more than any other foundation. I find that this works best applied on very well moisturised skin, even slightly oily from a heavy moisturiser. I only wear a primer underneath when I'm going out or being photographed, trying to minimise products and keep my skin as calm as possible.

I am fair with yellow/olive undertones, NC20-ish, Alima Warm 1-2, and right now I get a perfect match mixing Creamy Olive with Pale Olive. I will probably go over to Pale Olive only towards the late winter months when I'm at my palest, and switch to Creamy Olive in the summer, when I get a tiny bit of a tan. The sample I tried is Cream, which is also a good enough match and seems very close in shade to my NC20 Studio Fix powder. Pale Olive is more of an olive-tinged NC15, Creamy Olive is slightly darker than Cream, NC25-ish.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

With rosacea, acne, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), large pores on my cheeks and dark circles around my eyes, I'd say it's fair to call my face problematic. I have been on the hunt for a foundation that would make me feel not flawless but DECENT for a long time, and I have tried so many in the process...I've been through all of the affordable foundations from Sephora through the drugstores, and then to the mineral foundations...and for one reason or another, they all failed me.

I stumbled onto a comment on the indie makeup section of reddit that suggested that this mineral makeup was actually medium-full coverage, but wasn't cakey. Having tried many other mineral foundations, I was surprised, but intrigued, and after checking it out a few other places, I decided to order sample sizes of all of the palest foundations they had so I could test them out.

Upon receiving them, I was glad I had also ordered the white powder (Snow White - meant to lighten any foundation that is too dark for you) because in their containers they looked surprisingly dark (as they look on the website, which is a bit misleading). But once I swatched them on my cheek, I realized that they looked much lighter on my skin. I'm incredibly pale (Kat Von D Light 42 would be perfect colour match if it wasn't so cool toned) and my skintone is truly neutral. I was surprised that the foundation that matched me best in tone was Fair, which is supposed to be a "cool, pale shade" according to the website. I find it to be almost a pinky neutral on me, and a good match.

As far as how it applies...oh. My. GOD. I love this stuff so much. I use a flat top buffing brush to apply it, and within seconds my rosacea and PIH are nearly GONE. My skin looks even and...dare I say it? I feel so PRETTY. I haven't felt truly pretty in a long time, thanks to my skin, but this foundation can definitely make a girl a little vain. I keep being surprised whenever I pass by a mirror while I'm wearing it...I don't want to hide, I want to SMILE.

This doesn't make me 100% flawless, and I do need two layers on my undereye circles (they are SUPER dark), but I don't even feel the need to use concealer on my acne marks when I'm wearing this wonderful foundation. Even better: I live in a dry environment and have chronically dehydrated skin, but this foundation doesn't dry it out at all. The only way this foundation could be any better is if there were more shades on the darker end of the spectrum...if your skin is very dark, I don't think you'll be able to find a match here. Hopefully in the future they'll make darker shades available.

For me and my Casper like skin, this foundation just might be my HG.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/30/2013 8:04:00 AM More reviews by HappyUnicornSmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been searching for a good powder foundation to spot-cover my acne scars and current blemishes while the rest of my skin goes make up free. I'm trying this method because I've noticed that the places where I apply make up are the places where I break out. But I'm not at the point where I can go out of the house completely make up free, because my skin still needs to heal.

Anyways, I got two samples of Lucy Light Foundation in Cream and Creamy Bisque. I am neutrally toned, leaning more toward golden than anything else. Creamy Bisque was too dark and too yellow for me (FIRST foundation ever to be too yellow! Woo! It IS possible after all!). Cream was a good match. I'm a Light in Pur Minerals, and a Fairly Light in Bare Minerals, for reference.

Immediately after application, I felt a burning/stinging in my face where the make up was. I knew it was due to the make up, but because it's Lucy Light (made for people with severely sensitive skin) I wanted to leave it on all day just to see what would happen. Nothing really happened at all, actually. No allergic reaction. My skin burned after the second application and third, but less each time. After that, my skin never burned after wearing the make up again. I have no clue what that's all about....

This make up did end up breaking me out, with painful, deep, cystic pimples. I have no idea how or why this happened, because I had so much faith that this wouldn't have aversive effects because the ingredients are so limited and it's made for sensitive skin. I'm really bummed. A very kind MUA user messaged me and told me that my cleanser (St. Ives Apricot Scrub) doesn't take make up off very well, which could cause the left over make up to break me out and clog pores. This actually WAS the case. I began washing my face twice at night and once in the morning; twice at night to get off all the make up. I then dry my face with a white face cloth to make sure there's no make up residue left. This has really been clearing up my skin. She's basically a life saver. So, I can honestly say that make up residue is not the reason Lucy Light caused my break outs.

I used this make up for about a week, noticed my acne flair ups, and then stopped using and switched to Physician's Formula Organic Wear (my Cloth Mother. Psychology enthusiasts will get the joke). I always go back to it; it's my comfort zone. After waiting a week, my skin got better, but not perfect, and I switched back to Lucy. I used Lucy for about a week and a half, and acquired the same types of pimples again. I stopped, and my skin is back to normal. I officially give up.

The coverage is quite good. It's the same as Organic Wear, but a bit better. Organic Wear makes my scars look slightly purply. Lucy just straight up makes them make up colored, no tinting. That's my favorite part about Lucy, actually. Both powders cover under eye circles, freckles, hyper-pigmentation, and minor scarring. I was afraid to apply to much Lucy at first, so I did a bunch of light layers. I didn't get the coverage I wanted. So then I did moderate layers, about two of them, and got good coverage. Experiment and don't be afraid to try different amounts. There was never any cakiness, although this powder does cling to dry skin, so exfoliate and moisturize before application.

I think they have a great color selection. The owner will even custom mix a full size order for you, if you find you are in between sample colors. Don't go by the pics on the website, they're useless. I just knew I was neutrally toned, and on the warm side, and very pale, but not snow white. If you can figure out your tone and your depth on your own, you will be ok. Just go by that.

The lasting power is great. I didn't need to touch up during the day. Nothing melted off my face in the heat. Nothing rubbed off my chalky skin in the cold. It was bliss. Yeah, the weather here has been bonkers this month.

This would be my HG if my skin could handle it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2013 10:28:00 AM More reviews by kaitlynmarieexoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

As a mineral makeup junkie, I know what good mineral makeup is. And this is it!! If your looking for full coverage mineral foundation look no further. Lucy minerals is the best foundation i've tried. Great color selection, great prices and good ammount of product for what you pay! I have very very acne prone super oily skin and the OCS formula is perfect for me. It doesn't clog my pores at all and doesn't cause any breakouts. Lucy provides $2.50 sample jars for about everything! I really recommend getting samples before purchasing the full size just so you know what formula and shade works for you. I love lucy!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2013 11:22:00 AM More reviews by jmarshtomp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is for the Lucy Light, golden medium and creamy bisque.

What I've noticed about this foundation is that it gives EXCELLENT coverage, and I don't have to spend nearly as much time applying it (I currently use Everyday Minerals' Jojoba Base). Unfortunately, it's also cakier and more evident that I have foundation on. To be fair, it really is quite subtle; I asked some friends, and they said that while it was noticeable, it was only noticeable since they were looking for it. However, I consider this to be a negative as with the EM Jojoba Base, no one could tell I was wearing it, it just looked like I had nice skin. Looking natural is incredibly important to me, so I will not use this as a foundation anymore. However, it does work really well as a concealer and it even does an amazing job covering up redness! I personally wouldn't recommend it as a foundation unless you don't mind it being noticeable, but I will definitely invest in it as a concealer.