April 21, 2014 | 1821 users online

Pressed Powders - Revlon - PhotoReady Translucent Finisher

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Enkida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

First of all, my skin tone is a "30" in Dior Hydarating Nude Foundation; that's a medium tan with warm yellow undertones. I find like many other reviewers that this powder does tend to make my skin appear lighter than it really is, though apparently not as dramatically as paler reviewers here. That did not bother me overly much, as I had been using a foundation with this that I purchased while more tanned, and I found it evened out the too dark foundation tone nicely. Still, if you are looking for a "translucent" powder, this is not it.
The formulation is chalky, and the packaging is crap. You really need your own soft kabuki or powder brush to put this on properly, the packaged brush is completely worthless. I had been misusing this as a setting powder, and it worked just fine in that regard, but in reality this is a finishing powder - like a cheap version of Guerlein Meteorites, or a comparison to Physician's Formula Pearls of Perfection, etc. It is not a foundation powder, not a setting powder, and not an oil absorbing powder. It's supposed to give you an illuminated look, otherwise known as "dewy" on the youthful, or "youthful" on the older. ;-) In all of these cases it is really important to have a good powder brush to apply properly, and to use a very light touch when putting it on as a last step powder over all your other "stuff." A lot of people complain about the sparkles; I really didn't notice a sparkle overkill going on, though it is definitely not a matte powder (and doesn't advertise itself as such). My one complaint about the shimmer - and I would call it shimmer rather than glitter or sparkle - is that the particles that are there could have been more finely milled. But I don't find the highlighting effect excessive at all, compared to the powder's much more obvious shortcomings: non transparency and chalky texture. I think if you find the sparkle in this product overwhelming, you may be putting it on too thickly.
These days for a transparent setting powder I have moved on to better things, but I would still keep this around for when I start losing my summer tan and don't want to switch up foundations. Not worth repurchasing, though - at this drugstore price, I would expect a better texture and packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2012 7:17:00 AM More reviews by LisaPickford

This was one of the first translucent powders i have used. At first I really liked this product. I used a large powder brush and didn't find that it made me look too pale.

After a few weeks I noticed that my skin was looking grainy and you could see the powder marks. My skin was starting to look paler and definitely not flawless like its supposed to.

Pros;
- the packaging looks nice and has a mirror

Cons:
- the brush
- makes skin look pale

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by DecoDolly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I actually like this powder. It does nothing to control oil, so the 1st few times I used it, I wasn't happy. I got it out of stash recently because I'm breaking out very badly from a new BCP, and I wanted to see if it would do anything to smooth over the bumps. IT DOES! Makes my skin look much smoother. I don't notice any glitter at all, but I'm putting it only on the sides of my face and my jawline (where my breakouts are) and not on places like my nose, that catch a lot of light. So that might be the trick to this. Also, I'm extremely pale, so the "ghost" factor isn't an issue with me (I always look ghostly!). Overall, I'd say if you want to make your skin look smoother, give it a try. IMO, it works just as well, if not better for this than the Elf HD powder, and is much less drying.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2012 7:21:00 PM More reviews by MoreThanAFeeling

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This makes me look like a chalky ghost. It also contains huge chunks of glitter and dries out my skin making it look patchy. probably the worst powder i've ever tried. What were they thinking. I love the makeup but this is awful.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2012 11:02:00 AM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Pros:
-Cute container - i actually really like the packaging

Cons:
-Horrible brush
-Translucent? More like ghostly...i am pale and this made me look like a white piece of paper
-GLITTER - sheen or dewy is okay but big chunks of glitter are awful
-Grates on skin
-Application is not smooth
-Drying and shows all dry skin patches

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Overall I think this is an okay product. It doesn't look too white and chalky on me personally, and I don't mind the shimmer, I don't find it TOO glittery. The little brush it comes with is useless, I use a fluffy powder brush to apply this. Probably wouldn't buy again, because I'm sure there are better and cheaper translucent powders out there, but I'll use it up :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2012 12:52:00 AM More reviews by SiameseKisses

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Surprised to read all the bad reviews for this powder. I discovered this a couple of years ago (when I could no longer find the Cornsilk Translucent compacts) and have been using it ever since. I apply it with a big fluffy powder brush over L'oreal's True Match liquid fondation (another winner!) It sets my makeup and keeps it looking flawless until I take it off at night.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by brielouise

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of the best drugstore translucent powders on the market, for sure. If enough product is applied, it definitely keeps my foundation matte (with the help of a good primer of course) and makes it longer lasting. It obviously isn't a miracle product, considering it's inexpensive for a translucent powder, but for somebody who doesn't use them often, I really like it.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2012 5:03:00 AM More reviews by beabeautyqueen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: I needed to come back and share my disappointment with you all. I don't know why this powder looked so good when I applied it in a store using a tester, but I am quite disappointed with what I have found after using it for 2 weeks. I really did try with this one, wanted to love it.

MUA's, remember that a good translucent finishing powder should will be finely milled and extremely soft to the touch. This is what gives you that flawless, soft, non cakey finish. Many high end translucent finishers will (most of the time) contain silica powder. The Revlon Photoready does not have the texture, or ingrediants to even compare with other high end makeup finishers.

I have found that this powder does not settle into my skin, it sits on top and does not blend well. It highlighted small bumps on my skin, and appeared cakey around slightly dryer areas of my skin. I wanted to like it, so I continued using it, thinking that perhaps I just wasn't having a good skin week, but no - still caked up on me. I even bought a good qaulity stipple brush because I thought perhaps it could have been an application error. No. Just didn't work for me. I also found that the powder lightened my skin by 1 shade, I needed to apply my darker foundation, so that I wouldn't appear fair, like the powder made me. The sparkles started to become a problem. I do not know why Revlon put sparkles in a translucent finisher. It is a massive turn off.

The texture of this powder is NOT soft and finely milled like a translucent powder should be. I would not recommend it. I will be giving this to my sister instead. I have since switched to a silica based, finely milled translucent powder which is similar to the MUFE translucent finisher.

I have uploaded a picture of the Revlon Photoready finisher. Hope this review helped, beautyqueens! x
-----------------------------------------
After reading dozens of negative reviews and complaints about the sparkles, I decided that I would put this product to the test. I have ordered it online, however I couldn't wait so I decided to go into Priceline (drugstore in Aus) and see what all the hype about the sparkles was about.

Sparkles: I appied both the Photoready foundation, concealer AND the translucent finisher. All of which contain these light reflecting sparkles. I looked in several different mirrors that day. I also went out into the sun to see if the sparkles were noticeable. They were barely apparent, and remember - this is with the Photoready foundation too. If you look really closely (4 cm away), you can notice some small sparkles, but like I said - they were barely visible on me and nobody is going to be staring at your face from 4cm away. Remember, I was using the foundation too which also contains the light reflecting sparkles, so the sparkles would have been more noticeable on me than anyone else who was just wearing this over their foundation.

Colour: As the product is translucent, it is colourless. It looks white in the packaging, but it will not add colour if you apply it correctly. I have a light - medium skin tone, so I was worried that this product would lighten my skin. It didn't.

Durability: Makeup stayed on all day. I even pressed a tissue on my face, and hardly any makeup came off. Applied it around 12.00 noon, came home at 8 and my makeup still looked beautiful and fresh.

For the price, I'd totally recomment this product. Unfortunately for us in Australia, it RRPs for $27.95, and that's USD too. I bought mine online for $11.95. I would still recommend it even if you paid full price for it. It is considerably cheaper than buying mac, and is very similar to the mac translucent finisher.

Hope this review helps, beauty queens! x

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2012 1:54:00 AM More reviews by kalikabarlow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Broke me out. Not happy.