September 23, 2014 | 927 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2014 6:59:00 AM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this stuff, but it's too dark for me. The formula is seriously so amazing, if they only made it in a lighter shade I could use it for my dark circles!! I am praying they make lighter shades because this stuff is phenomenal. Looks like skin, covers well, doesn't budge, lasts all day. If it matches some of you lucky ones, it functions as a phenomenal/perfect/undetectable concealer. If they made my shade I would honestly go out and buy 10 pots of this just so I never run out. Sometimes I mix it with a paler concealer so I can still use it, that's how much I love it. This will match around an NC/NW 35-40. It is also very good as the lid primer, it gives you a very soft "blurrrred lines ;)" effect, making the skin look silkier and nicer, and doesn't crease.

***Edit, just read the review below mine, and I totally agree about using this for the under-eye! I did try layering it under my regular concealer and for me it was still looking a little too dark, and just not as dramatic as I wanted. However, I do second her recommendation because the formula is literally perfection for the under-eye, and others may be able to make it work depending on your skin color or application.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 6:21:00 PM More reviews by twee420

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

!!!..Pale/fair ladies (or gentlemen, makeup doesn't discriminate)..!!!
You can use this as a (pre?) concealer for undereye bags/circles. I have very heavy, genetic bags under my eyes that even the strongest concealer will not cover. With the NYX skin, It's a combination of the darker skin colour (most pale people will find the shade to be darker then their natural skin colour) and peachy tones, that cancel the blue tint of the under eye circles. I go over the NYX base with my usual concealer. Works like magic, everytime.

As an eyeshadow base, this gives a great 'stick'. I do notice that a lot of my shadows appear more pigmented.
My only issue is it can be a little hard to get the product your finger and not under your nails; this can be solved by using a vegan brush (Real Techniques or Sigma Mr/Mrs Bunny are great) to pick up the product.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2014 4:01:00 AM More reviews by Maddy136

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so pleasntly suprised with this product, I had run out of my NYX HD eyeshadow primer (not the best) and was looking for a similarly priced product but with better colour pay off. This was definitely it. I thought the skin tone colour at first would be a bit off but blended out to be near invisible while covering my veins in my eye lid. It was more of a powdery finish which makes it much easier to blend eyeshadows with and would even be great by itself if you have oily lids. A lot goes along way with this product and is silky to touch. I'm not a big fan of the packaging but the product is to good to worry about it. This is definitely my go to primer from now on!!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2014 10:17:00 PM More reviews by makeuplover1018

i was not impressed. I do like to use this as a concealer in some of my blemish areas and top it off with a powder.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2013 6:27:00 AM More reviews by onoriki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was very excited to try this as a lot of my fave you-tubers' use it. However, I wasn't that impressed. Maybe I didn't use it right, but it left me looking like a creasey mess.. not good. I only used it for the first time last night for a function so I can't say much except my first experience was not the best. I used my ELF eyelid primer and then this on top,before my shadow, during the function I was involved in I didn't have a chance to look in the mirror the whole night, so I was quite dissapointed when i finally. I didnt really notice a difference in the colour's of my eye-shadow either.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This is the first base I've tried. I have primers, UDPP and elf, but no base. I normally use NYX's jumbo eye pencil in Milk for my base but wanted to give this a shot since it was on sale @ ULTA. Overall, I really like it. I have an elf palette that I'd given up on because the pigmentation of the shadows was so poor, even with UDPP. Well, I decided to give the palette another shot but this time using the base over UDPP - WOW! Such a huge difference. The colors were richer, more pigmented, and stayed on with no creasing. I have oily eyelids, so I was expecting this base to crease but thankfully, that did not happen.

My only complaint is the packaging. I can only fit my index or pinky finger in the jar, which is not cool. MAC's Paint Pots are similarly packaged but the mouth of the jar is wider and the product comes up to the top of the jar, making it easier for the user.

Other than that, I'm sold. I can see this lasting a long time but I'd definitely repurchase when the time comes.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2013 7:39:00 AM More reviews by jesstrixie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was surprised to read all the negative reviews about this product. I bought it on a whim a few months ago, because it was cheap and I wanted to try it out. Since then I've used it probably every day and I'm pretty happy with it. Sometimes it will crease, yes, but it's nothing that can't be easily touched up. I suppose with oiler eyelids this could be a problem though. For someone like me, though, whose eyelids aren't too oily, I think it's a very decent eye primer. Holds my eyeshadow and winged liner on all day. A big problem for me before I started to use eye primers was my eyeliner imprinting(?)/smudging onto the top of my eyelid, and with this product this NEVER happens.

Overall I'm very happy with this product for the price. It is slightly annoying when my nails are longer to get the product out of the container, but I usually keep my nails shortish so it doesn't bother me too much. I'd buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by mellymel11

I got this because I didn't want to party the price of a paintpot. This base is the perfect color for my eyelids. It hides the discoloration and veins on my lids. Unfortunately it creases with out a primer. So I don't have to purchase this to cover imperfections...a concealer would do the same thing

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2013 8:09:00 PM More reviews by allisonboyd2011

This is a decent product. Not my favorite base/primer ever, but it does the job. My eye shadows don't wear off and it makes them more intense. The only problem is that the color is too dark for me, and if you have dark skin it won't work either because it doesn't blend very well. And if you have long nails, use a concealer blush to apply it because you won't be able to stick your finger in the pot without getting the base all over your nail.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by Amelielydia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

not a big fan, it sets into my creases and makes them worse. it's also too dark for my really pale skin and makes it look like i have yellow eyelids. i might try this in white but definitely not again in skin tone!