October 20, 2014 | 2159 users online

Skincare - Body - Elizabeth Arden - 8 hour cream Skin Protector

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2011 8:24:00 AM More reviews by naicha

Yes, this is overpriced, but I dig it none the less. I love a good multi-purpose product - this works on chapped lips as well as little scrapes, but it is especially amazing at keeping your hands from cracking on long distance flights or during cold winters. Personally, I like the medicinal smell as well as the heavy texture - the thickness of the product ensures it forms a protective barrier that keeps your skin from drying out. I also like that a little goes a very long way. Do try and get yours duty free at the airport to save a couple of bucks ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2011 10:32:00 AM More reviews by apgoh2

After so much buzz on this product, I hate to admit that I was a little disappointed when i tried it. I even hate it more when I am making comparison of it to a regular Vaseline.

Claimed to be a multi-purpose cream that can be applied across dry and chapped areas of the skin....it's definitely an iconic product that pretty much represented EA.

i have very dry cuticles, and diligently apply them....I was disappointed to say that it does not do much to heal the dryness. Applied this on my lips, it was not extraordinary as well. Other drug-store lip balms have exceeded my expectations. I have not tried this on my skin, and would not recommend this to anyone unless you suffer from extremely dry skin.

I may not have found the correct method to use this....but I am beginning to get more convinced that this is just an upper-class version of Vaselline we have in our local Tesco.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by lilmi

You'll probably get the same effect with Vaseline and save yourself a lot of money.

This product is too expensive for what it is. Also, it smells pretty strong and awful. I wouldn't use it on my face as it's extremely rich and could cause break-outs. I'd restrict it to only areas where skin is extremely dry.

Initially thought I'd try this product out due to the fact it had a bit of a celebrity following. Obviously now I realise that was foolish. Celebrities can afford to splash out on products like this instead of going for good ol' Vaseline.

It just didn't deliver anything other than being an okay moisturiser. I probably would've give it a higher rating if it wasn't so expensive/over-hyped and the smell wasn't so horrible.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2011 6:42:00 AM More reviews by rubyred23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have to give this product a really average review. My brother gave me a present of this (mine came in the long squeeezy white tube) for Christmas. I was really excited because I had heard great things about it and it's such a cult product. I know it is multi-purpuse and supposed to be a great facial night moisturiser but I get really dry chapped lips, especially in Winter so I used it mostly on my lips. Unfortunately, it didn't really help with the chapping and cracking and I found that it doesn't absorb well or last long. If you eat or drink it's gone straight away. Then one day I heard a tip to apply it to lips before showering and it combines with the steam of the shower to work like an intensive treatment for lips. I tried this and I have to say that my lips felt great afterwards.
I carry the 8 hour cream in my handbag anyway as it's pretty handy. I might buy it again but my go-to lip care has to be the original carmex I've yet to find something as good as this for healing sore lips.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2011 12:15:00 PM More reviews by morgs5555

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This makes a nice lip balm and can be used to apply a sheen to the eye lids.
I hate the packaging though it is hard to squeeze all of the product out of the tube and the twist off top can be akward.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2011 7:03:00 PM More reviews by ilikemybed

I really wanted to add to the amazing reviews I have read for this cream! I purchased it in the hope it would keep my lips moisturised for more than 20mins(I am currently on accutane which causes extremely dry lips!) and unfortunately it does not. Oh well, Im still glad I bought it to try it out! I'm sure it still good for cuts and scrapes and dry patches of skin.. well hopefully!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2011 11:08:00 AM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

8 hour cream, where have you been all of my life?

I now see why this over priced Vaseline is a cult product. I don't know what magic fairy potion goes into this, but those magic ingredients make the difference between a tub of petroleum jelly and some healing magic. Its the only product I've found that works on my lips this winter (from low to super high end lip balms). Lovely as a gloss, or to put on your cheek bones if you want a bit of a highlight. Perfect under lipsticks that can be drying (I'm looking at you Nars Funny Face!) Cuticles, elbows, chapped skin... poof! gone.

I got this at Marshalls for $8, but would buy again full price. Though a little goes a long way so despite using every day in a number of different ways, I can't see rebuying this anytime soon.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by rachelaz

So I bought this cream because the packaging is really cute. I only saw one review on youtube which was kinda sad. This is the vintage one so, it has the 80's design. It's an overall skin protectant so you can use it anywhere but I don't recommend using it on your face because it's just like a petroleum jelly. I use it on my cuticles and my lips. Although I really don't like the taste of it. Overall, it's okay. I had a hard time getting a regular petroleum jelly and I keep losing my lip balms so I bought this. Plus, when I bought this Elizabeth Arden had a bonus that came with any of your purchase at least $25. So that was cool. I got a purse, a lotion, a palette, and lip glosses.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2010 4:40:00 AM More reviews by nm1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Have been buying this for the past 9 years. Will be repurchasing for the next 99. I love this. For me, it solves a lot. I literally have this in my bag at all times. I have used this as a quick lip balm (prefer the protectant stick for lips, but in a pinch..), various cuts, burns and abrasions, skin that's getting ready to blister because of a snug fitting sandal, dry skin on my my face and a scaly, bald patch on my cat's back. Everything healed brilliantly. (Didn't kill my cat and his bald patch even grew in.. coincidence? hmm..) I love this "cream" for my "Happy Cow" pedicure. Whole milk foot soak, pumice thoroughly and then saturate in 8 Hour Cream, cover with big woolly socks, go to bed. ~La la la~ Expect happy feet.

~update~

The brilliant minds that helm Elizabeth Arden New York have recently launched to their permanent collection a FRAGRANCE FREE VERSION of Eight Hour Cream. FRAGRANCE FREE!!! I actually squealed at the EA counter when I spied this treasure. It has the same famous color and texture as the original sans the hearty fragrance.There are NO fails with this product. The price is still a bit steep ($30 CND), but I will gladly pay it. This is genius!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2010 7:03:00 AM More reviews by jessexplosion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the smell of this product. Some days I think it smells quite nice, but on rare occasions I don't use it because I don't want to smell like it! It's an overly herbal-meets-chemically smell. Having said that, it's mostly forgivable because this product rocks! I use it on flaking, chapped lips in winter, on my nose to fix annoying peeling when I've been blowing my nose too much, on ratty cuticles, dry hands, dry heels, elbows, small cuts and scabs. It also works as a bit of a lip gloss! My cuticles have never been so soft, and it actually speeds up the healing process of things like mosquito bites (I usually take two weeks or more to heal, applying Eight Hour Cream helped sooth a bite in two days). I love the pot form as opposed to the tube, as it's easier to monitor how much I use with the pot, often you only need the smallest amount for a good effect! And the packaging is so cute, I have a limited edition 1950s style packaging and I love it. Great product. Will definitely be buying again for forever!