October 22, 2014 | 1791 users online

Lips - Everyday Minerals - New tinted Lip Balms

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by silverwing

I have this in Monster Movie. The color makes my lips look dead. So I guess it lives up to its name on that point.

The product is grainy and you have to press fairly hard to get the color to show up. This seems to be an issue with all the colors. The tube it came in ( I have the old style) is horrible.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2010 3:27:00 PM More reviews by gryph

These balms are not so hot on their own. The colours are very flat and washed out. However I have found they are a pretty decent base as long as you put some kind of gloss over top, I have been using Juicy Tubes and the result is much better than the balms on their own. For instance, Pink Lemonade which is absolutely unwearable on its own becomes a lovely shade when I put "Cherry on Top" Juicy Tubes over it. I am going to have to pick no on the repurchase, but if you do want to try them I would definitely suggest a sheer gloss over top.

*UPDATE*: This formula has been changed yet again, and it is much better. I got one free when there was a promo code a few weeks back, the colour is "Her Majesty's Secret Service". It was very soft and smooth, a very pretty rosey pink colour. They have doubled the price though compared to the old ones, so I am still going with a no on the repurchase, but if you are willing to spend $8 these ones are not so bad.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2009 8:48:00 PM More reviews by FYI

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried the old formula and the new formula and wasted my money on all of them:( They are hard as a rock, some were grainy and the packaging stinks for getting them to go back down:( Someone with similar complaints was told they have to warm up to your lips a bit. HELLO, how long do you expect me to hold these pressed on my lips?!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2009 12:46:00 PM More reviews by contrariwhys

I bought this product in Golden Strawberry and it made my lips pale and dead looking! The application could be smoother as well. Just skip these lipsticks and stick with EDM's wonderful powders and brushes.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2009 3:02:00 AM More reviews by foureight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Packaging: terrible. The tube is very large and the balm is fully extended.

Balm: hard to apply, need to use another smoother balm first to get the balm to apply which dillutes the color. Texture is grainy and the balm is rather thick accentuating wrinkles and folds. I had several get completely hard after a couple months and become unusable. :(

One other poster notes that she has tried many mineral balms/lipsticks. So have I, and this is by far one of the worst I have ever used. I had about 10 of these EDM gloss/balms. I can't think of a worse "mineral" balm/gloss/lipstick at the moment, although the worst lip product I have ever used is Zoya.

Please don't buy these tinted balms just to get up to 12 items (unless you happen to love them). Otherwise EDM won't remove them from their product line.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2009 4:44:00 PM More reviews by Candiez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Everyday Minerals is a great company, I love the fact that they are a small business, owned, created, and run by a woman. Yeah, kudos to that. I love their foundation, blushes, pressed powders, and most of their brushes.
I wanted to love the lip glosses. I bought Siesta, I warm peach color. It looks great in the tube, but I wished it was more pigmented. It does moisturize my lips at first, but it gets a little dry afterward. I find the texture to be good, I didn't find this grainy as mentioned by other reviewers. I only got one, so maybe I will give another color a try.

The packaging is cute, but the gloss doesn't go all the way down in the tube, which means you can easily nick it.
So you have to put the cap on carefully.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2009 1:08:00 AM More reviews by cecelya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I have to agree with most of the other reviews on this product. Just like all of EDM's lip glosses these are grainy, drying, and disappointing color-wise.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2009 12:24:00 AM More reviews by shan1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I wish I could give this terrible product(s) zero lippies. They are the WORST lip glosses I have EVER tried. They ALL turn grainy and dry out. The tube is so big and the "lip gloss" (if that is what you want to call it) hangs over the tube and when you put the lid on you have to be very careful to not hit the "lipgloss". This is the worst EDM product I have tried. :( Please don't waste your money of these, even if you buy them at 45% off. *tosses in trash can*

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2009 12:14:00 AM More reviews by blushingpale

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Okay, so I have to say I'm pretty shocked by the 1-star reviews for this product (more on this lower). I got 8 of them in the mail yesterday (after discounts they were about $3 each) and so far I love them. True they are not very glossy (I'm more of lipstick/balm person myself as I don't like OTT shine). They're not moisturizing considering all the oils in them (but then natural oils are much lighter than mineral oil and petrolatum) but I don't find them drying either.

I guess since I've tried lipsticks from several small mineral makeup companies I had a better idea what to expect. I've had lipsticks that were literally hard as rocks and ones that sanded off the skin on my lips. By comparison, these are creamy smooth and pigmented. A few of them are a bit grainy feeling but they don't deposit grains on my lips. I usually wear balm under lipstick anyway. And I LOVE the colors. So far my favorite is Plum, a creamy (non-shimmery) warm muted berry -- the berry that those of us who can't wear berry tones can wear.

It's pretty common knowledge on the mineral makeup forums that EDM has fallen out of favor with some of their clients, especially after shutting down their online forum with no warning. I've heard a lot of stories but personally I've had nothing but good service and mostly-great products (I got 3 free gorgeous eyeshadows with my order, after already receiving a generous discount on my $50 order). I agree their samples are nowhere near as good as they used to be, but apparently some people were really taking advantage of the free samples and ordering them over and over.

So, I noticed that at least one of the reviewers below has given every EDM product she has reviewed (even generally highly-rated ones) one lippie, and another has this as her sole review, so maybe some grains of salt are in order. I'm just sayin'... BTW I have no personal connection with EDM (I live in Canada).

Anyway, I'm going to update with my own swatches and comments about the texture after a few weeks of wear...

Interesting I checked this review later today and noticed that after it appeared on the latest featured reviews, several 1-lippie reviews got added! Almost as if someone has it in for EDM.... My curiosity got the better of me and I discovered that, again, one of these new reviewers had written only one review, and the other had posted several 1-lippie reviews of EDM products, with some comments indicating she had knowledge of stuff being talked about on the forums. So for people actually looking for objective reviews of this product, I think you may be out of luck. I admit my 5-star rating of these balms was partly from shock at all the 1-star ratings (I would have given 4 stars based on my initial trials of them though as 6 out of 8 are great colors on me), but I will update when I've had some wear out of them. I'm not sure why EDM is getting so much hate, but it disturbs me to see so many reviews that appear to be slamming a product way out of proportion to the actual quality. What are these being compared to? Burt's Bees? They are twice the price and most have crazy shimmer. I've only found one BB color that suits me after trying about ten. Plus I'm not sure BB would qualify as "mineral" makeup.

As I said I will update regarding the continuing quality of these within a few weeks. I hope they will work better for me than for the other reviews here (if there are honest ones not simply venting against EDM).... I thought I'd found my HG mineral lipstick but I guess I'd better keep looking around in case they dry up on me. Oddly I did have two or three earlier EDM balms I got free as a gwp ages ago and I liked them, and I figured this new formula would be better. For those like me searching for good mineral/natural lip colors that won't cost a fortune, I've heard good things about Silk Naturals too, but I'm not willing to close the book on EDM lippies unless these fail me.

UPDATE: These still work fine for me and haven't dried up at all. Will update again if there's a problem.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2009 2:03:00 PM More reviews by pixiedoo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Horrible, grainy and extremely drying!! I thought EDM had changed the formula of their lip balms but obviously not. These supposed new formula ones are just as bad as the old ones. The colour payoff is terrible and the are the most drying lip balm I have ever used, which surely defeats the object of a lip balm!! They are also very scratchy and grainy in texture and quite uncomfortable to apply. A complete and utter waste of money. I have thrown mine away!! If you want a good quality, natural, moisturising tinted lip balm I would recommend Silk Naturals or Burt Bees as both are great products.