December 20, 2014 | 1703 users online

Powder - E.L.F. - Studio Pressed Powder

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2013 11:56:00 PM More reviews by luverchick

i love this powder but too bad it break me out...i have super sensative skin and this powder gives me smalls pimples here and there...it also doesnt have the best color selection out there....:( if it wasnt for that i would of loved this powder...stays pretty matte and have pretty great coverage....

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 2:00:00 AM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to say, I'm a little surprised this has a 3.7 rating (which isn't totally awesome, but much higher than I expected after my experiences with this..)
For reference, my review is based on the "Porcelain" shade only. I'm just a hair lighter than NC15 (MAC StudioFix), and I try to only review products that I enjoy, and I try not to leave too many negative ones because I'm usually the proof that one gal's garbage is another gal's gold (I tend to like a lot of products -usually the inexpensive ones that other MUA'ers dislike lol) -but this just would not work for me. I was on a major ELF kick over the past 6 months, and the majority of ELF products I've tried I've been pleased with, until this..
As I said above, I got the shade Porcelain which is the same shade I wear in the ELF Tinted Moisturizer (which I do like). I even slid the compact out of the box in my Target store just to take a peek and make sure it looked like a good match in the pan, and indeed it did. I got home and couldn't wait to try it. I usually kind of "test" new face product's by wearing them around the house on days that I'm not going anywhere to see how they look and hold up, and that is exactally what I did with this as well. From the moment I swiped the puff on my face I had an orange streak, but I continued to apply and blend and apply and blend and figured if it still looked orange when I was done I would try topping it with a little baby powder (J&J Cornstarch Baby Powder usually leaves me more pale than I already am) but no amount of blending OR mixing with lighter powders would work..it was terrible :( Having fair skin I've become used to a lot of powders being a tad too dark for me so this being dark wasn't a total and complete shock, and that's not the reason for my negative review, it's because this was more than a tad too dark, it was *way* too dark, and was the first time that I was completely and totally unable to make a pressed powder work for me.
Other than the fact that a shade called Porcelain was extremely too dark for an NC15 skintone, it is also a bit cakey and chalky/very apparent that there was powder on my skin.
I tried this a total of 4 times, applying it a different way each time to try to lighten it up and tone down the orange-ness while at the same time working on taking away the powdery look, but unfortunately never had success. My final straw with this product was when my husband walked downstairs and said "You know that your makeup is like, 10 shades too dark for your face right? Or are you testing out a new bronzer for summer or something? -Either way, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, but your makeup is way too dark sweetie..." (And this is from a man that thinks all of my lipsticks look red Lol ;D) After that I never tried it again and actually gave it away. Needless to say I haven't tried any other shades to say if they all have orange undertones or lean dark, but for an NC15, Porcelain is *extremely* too dark, too orange toned, and not to mention the heavy powdery look it left behind :(
Before I gave this product away, I read the reviews here I noticed that another reviewer with fair skin (several reviews below) found this to be too dark as well, but was still able to make this work as a bronzer, so I tried that method, and it *may* have worked if it had not been so orange. It didn't give me a sunkissed/bronzed look, it was more of an oompa loompa look :(
On a positive note, during it's 4 uses this did not give me any breakouts or clogged pores (I have finicky skin) and I also really loved the compact/packaging. The puff has a seperate compartment under the powder which I love, and the puff it came with was also quite soft and fluffy!
I personally will not repurchase and wouldn't reccomend to anyone with pale skin like mine, but given the amount of positive reviews from MUA'ers it is quite possible that the other shades may not lean as dark or orange as Porcelain does..?

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2012 12:16:00 AM More reviews by pelini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This has a smooth texture and works as well as Estee Lauder's matte powder for my combination skin for a fraction of the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by sarazoes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

About Me: I'm very fair skinned, beauty obsessed, and find myself trying new products frequently.

I purchased this on a whim when I saw it at my local dollar tree. The only color available was buff, and I am around NC10-15 skin tone. This color is much too dark for my face but makes the perfect bronzer!

It is light/medium coverage but build-able, which is great for my super pale skin. My only complaint is that the formula is extremely powdery and I can only press my brush into the product rather than swirl. But other than that, I love it and find myself reaching for it over my other bronzers (Nars Laguna and /NYC Sunny)! Hope this helps.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by ChaseSpearing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really love the elf studio packaging, its really sleek and professional. However, within this products pretty packaging is nothing special. I found this powder unimpressive and a little cakey. I will try to use all of it and don't plan on re-purchasing. Elf doesn't fail me often but this one was a dud for me. I have it a lippy for nice packaging and another for a good color match but other than that this powder is nothing to jump up and down about :/

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 12:36:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I don't get the high reviews. I love the packaging. I love the finish. BUT the powder itself does not last. The coverage is lacking (not even medium!?). I was shinny & without coverage by mid day! I love both CoverGirl Fresh Complexion and L'Oreal Infallible powder. Both of those last almost all day (about a 10hr day) and looks flawless. One time touch up for shine is needed and that is it. They have medium coverage where this lacked it. Sadly they don't match my skin color which is why I tried this powder. I would not recommend this powder. I would have not bought it either if I had known it'd just disappear. I should have known since most E.L.F products don't live up to my expectations.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2011 7:21:00 PM More reviews by Fiache

Over my expectations!
This powder is very easy to work with, it's so pigmented and mattifying. For more coverage gently dab it on and then buff it in. I just lightly dust my shade ALMOND on my NC40 skin to set my foundation and it looks ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. A little bit goes a long way.
I just have to praise one shade,"Coco" the darkest shade in the range. It is absolutely amazing to use for contouring! It's matte, cool, and natural looking. A HOLY GRAIL!
I agree when many says the shades are lighter in the pan than on your face so be aware.
They've got yellow/neutral undertones. Packaging is sleek and practical, it also comes with a mirror and sponge which is OK for quick touch-ups but prefer to use it with a brush.
The powder is very soft so keep in mind that it might break easy, in the end when the powder is almost used up.
1 lippie gone due to the lasting powder both in the face and in the pan. I need to re-touch after a few hours and the powder is so soft and finely milled that I already hit the pan after 3 months. (I've been in Thailand, not working, used it maybe 2-3 times/week)
It's definitely a must have!
Update: I found a better setting powder, read my other reviews of the Milani multitasker. LOVE! I tried to contour with Milanis darker shade, but the shade doesn't come even close to the prefect shade from ELF "Coco", and I can't live without it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2011 2:08:00 AM More reviews by wai260896

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

i really like the packaging for the product, the powder it self is really nice to work with and goes on easily, but because i have combination skin, it can look a bit cakey on dry areas. but putting a little bit of moisturiser on before hand works out great! i have this in buff and im an nc30/35

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2011 12:53:00 AM More reviews by mirageangelhope

This product (in light) goes on with a strong orangey undertone so I hate that aspect.It does cover things on it's own and adds coverage over foundation but it sometimes continues to get more orange throughout the day .Sometimes I use this to add a little color on my very pale days but for the most part this item is a waste for me.Maybe in the darker shades it will not turn orange.
The pressed powder from the dollar line works almost as well without the orange color so I will be sticking with that one the next time I run out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2011 3:38:00 PM More reviews by nlt87

I got this is the lightest shade which is porcelain , it's too light for me, I heard that this powder runs on the darker side but I need to get it one shade darker. Aside from that I actually do like it the coverage is actually better then what i had expected. It has medium coverage.