January 31, 2015 | 949 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in White

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2014 7:57:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my go to eye shadow primer if I am wearing bold eye shadow. It makes ones shadow pop. NYX is one of the few drugstore brands I use. Applies easily, I apply with my ring finger. Creaseless shadow all day. Good amount of product for the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2014 6:34:00 PM More reviews by totoro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff rocks if used with vibrant rainbow colors--pink, purple, yellow, blue, etc. With earth tones, nudes, or natural shadows such as beiges or browns, it tends to alter the color and can look too white, almost to the point of being garish. When I first got it I wasn't wearing much color and expected it to work like an extremely pale ivory shadow base would. I was intrigued at the idea that a white base would work well on a very pale complexion like mine. But as a stark white, it alters the colors people wear most every day; it"tints" them, making them much lighter and sometimes cooler. I find that it even reduces the intensity of anything but black, white, or vibrant color. Considering that I didn't use many extremely intense colors, I ended up throwing it out.

Then a couple of years ago, when I started experimenting with the rainbow eye, I saw this on you tube tutorials and bought it again. It worked brilliantly this time, and I realize that in my experience, it's best for this specific purpose (bright colors), and not to wear with everyday nude or earthy shadows. I gave it a four because it doesn't state this anywhere on the label, and also because a tube might be a better container than a glass jar. Other than that, it's a great product for certain uses that's reasonably priced, and there aren't many other white shadow bases in the mainstream makeup market. You generally have to go to theater or film makeup to find something like it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2014 5:40:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Works amazingly well as a primer. It makes my eye shadows lasts all day without fading. My shadows are also more vibrant. I would definitely repurchase in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2014 4:48:00 PM More reviews by miniequalcrzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This retails for 10 dollars in canada so that's why I hate the price

I love how it makes colourful shadows pop though and I love the texture and the fact the color itself is really pigmented (I feel like the colors show better the more saturated the white color is)
The packaging feels a little awkward over time because the tub is kind of small and if your using your finger to get it out you better make sure your nails are pretty short or you should use a brush to get it out
The only thing I don't like it that it doesn't make neutral colors stand out but I'm thinking a white primer or base isn't meant for neutrals anyways (I'm kind of new to the whole primer thing) so I can't complain

I like that it doesn't crease and it goes on skin very nicely (if that makes sense...)

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who can find it under ten bucks ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 7:43:00 AM More reviews by Saaraxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this base! This base is compared so much with the nyx jumbo eye pencil in milk and I can see why but the formula is not the same at all. I had the jumbo in milk and it's so creamy that it creates creases on my eyelids with primer underneath and without primer. I don't have oily eyelids and I don't know why it happens to me. So after using other primers and bases (soft ochre paint pot from MAC which is so dry for me) I purchased this one and is awesome for me. It doesn't crease on me at all the shadows pop and they blend perfect. When I used my mac paint pot my eyeshadows didn't blended really well because the formula is dry hard and sticky at the same time. This one is definitely my favorite with my urban decay primer potion. The formula is perfect and last all day. I really recommend this base and I would buy it again for sure.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2014 12:23:00 AM More reviews by RandomFuture

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I actually use this for contouring under foundation not as an eyeshadow base. I also find it helps conceal any darkness under my eyes as well and once foundation goes over the top you wouldn't know. It just makes those parts of my face look lighter (as it is supposed to) I used to use the jumbo eye pencil in milk but this is easier to blend out plus i don't have to sharpen it. I think I partially got this because i was excited to see nyx in Australia since I usually wear neutral eyeshadows so I don't really have much need for a white eyeshadow base. But anyway, it works well for this use and is cheap enough. Unless I find something I like more I'll probably still use this.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2013 2:15:00 AM More reviews by belinduh319

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I started to run low on my milk jumbo pencil, I picked this up. I figured the packaging was a little better because I had to keep sharpening my jumbo pencil meaning I was losing a alot of product which I wasn't really happy about. I liked that with this I can just pick it up with my finger or a synthetic brush. Although it is a base, I still wear a primer underneath it so I can be sure my eyeshadow really lasts all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by alh011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm onto my 3rd or so pot of these. One pot lasts a very long time! The packaging (pot ) probably isn't the most hygienic but the product is so thick I doubt it could be packaged any other way. I use this as a primer and to make my eye shadow colour more vibrant - this serves both purposes well. I like the drier feeling of this over urban decay primers but I think you need to apply your shadow immediately after applying it. Be careful not to apply too much though as its very white and would be obvious if you overdid it. I apply most to my lids and only a very thin layer towards my brow bone otherwise it would look like I'm wearing white paint! I've also tried the skin tone one which works just as good but I found that one harder to blend than I did the white one. I think it was just me though, because in the pot they're both the same consistency. Value for money wise this beats alot of other primers. Definitely worth a try!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Mocomochi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

One pot of NYX eye primer can really last a long time. It is really value for money. It helps with enhancing eye shadow colors, but it is not the best around. You could say it's one of the first/basic eye primer a beginner in makeup can consider purchasing it. For smokey/dramatic eye makeup, I would recommend Urban Decay's potion which enhances your eye shadow colors much much more!

This primer can only last up to 6 hours on my eyelids, which thereafter, eye shadows can be seen seeping into my crease-line and sometimes, my eyeliner can get "photocopied" onto the crease-line as well.

I would therefore not consider purchasing it again, since I would be wearing my eye shadows out for more than 6 hours most of the time. If you're one who wears eye makeup less than 6 hours every day, it is then, worth your money.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2013 10:03:00 AM More reviews by Nazhuka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

NYX EYe shadow base is the first base I've ever used, and it definitely does help to make my eyeshadow's colour pop. The colours are extremely vivid, and I love how easily you can spread it on the lids. Yet another plus point is that it's really affordable!!

Unfortunately, this does not hold long on me because I have oily lids. After a while you can see a crease line very clearly, and I have to keep touching up to cover it. I also do not like how it is in a pot as I find it unhygienic to dip my finger inside to get the product - I would rather something in a tube.

I've heard extremely rave reviews of the Urban Decay Primer Potion and I want to try it out once I've run out of this, though UD's price is much more hefty. All in all, I still like this product and will buy it again.