New York Color Grand Central Station clear nail polish

3.8

on 5/4/2014 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This makes a great topcoat. It is very shiny and the best part: inexpensive. Dries fast, doesn't chip. I use it with SinfulColors and other Quick Dry polishes and I am very satisfied. Will definitely be purchasing again.

EDIT: I am halfway through my first bottle and it is kinda goopy. I hope it's just a bad batch, because I have a second one and it seems to be okay.

on 4/30/2014 3:54:00 PM

It's not the best at anything but at $1.99 per bottle, does it need to be? It does what I need it to. If I'm in a hurry or want maximum shine I still reach for the Seche Vite, but NYC GCS is a great additional product to have on hand.

Pros:
- price
- you can find it anywhere
- doesn't need special thinner like SV does
- makes my manicures last (for me good wear time is 5 days no matter what combination of products I use, and this gives me 5 days!)
- Doesn't give you shrinkage like SV does
- Works with Zoya

Cons:
- not the shiniest
- is more vulnerable to scratches/dulling over the course of your manicure
- takes a bit longer to dry than the best quick dry top coats

on 2/19/2014 12:56:00 AM

This is my HG topcoat. NYC's extra shiny top coat is my all time favorite but I just don't have time anymore to wait for it to dry. Their quick dry top coat dries as fast as my Essie Good to Go plus it's shinier. Helps my mani last and holds up okay at my very hands on job.

The down side is, as with many quick dry top coats, a good glitter polish eats it so you'll need more than one coat. I've also found that sometimes the formula gets inexplicably bubbly with certain polishes. I'm not sure what causes it but I make a note to use only my Essie GTG with those few and far between cases.

It's cheap, it dries fast, it's super shiny, and it holds up well. What more can I ask for?

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I went on a hunt for this after hearing some wonderful things about it. It was sold out almost everywhere until I finally snagged a bottle at Target. For a second, I thought about buying 2 since I had had such a difficult time tracking it down but thought I better try it and make sure I like it first. Glad I didn't buy a second bottle!

Definitely doesn't live up to the hopes I had for it after reading some reviews. It holds up for about a day and then causes nail polish to peel off in sheets, especially chunkier glitters.

It's fine if you tend to change your polish a lot, which I do. But it doesn't last long so if you want a mani that holds up for longer than a day or two, I would look elsewhere. I don't think I'll ever find the perfect top coat... it seems pretty much everything shrinks or peels or flakes. On with the search.

on 12/16/2013 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

What a great find!! And I thank all those that have used and reviewed! The GCS is a clear quick-dry polish that can double as a quick-drying top coat. I find that it has less shrinkage than SV, Out the Door and SH Insta-dri. To me, the drying time is about the same for all - I always let my nails dry before doing anything that would risk smudging. Usually I do them at lunch since I have a sit-down job with computer work. As for the shine, I'm not partial to the "my nails always look wet" polish. I prefer the soft shine after 2 or 3 days. The GCS is not as shiny as SV but more than Out the Door and SH. The leveling seems as good as SV if not better. And the price....the best part! This is my holy grail.

on 10/16/2013 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my second favorite top coat (after Butter London's, which is too expensive to repurchase). It dries quickly, is very glossy, and lasts well for me. I've gone through a couple bottles and always have an extra on hand!

on 8/30/2013 7:25:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is amazing. If you follow the Nail board, people have been using this as a quick dry top coat, even though it is simply a clear coat of nail polish. This performs better on me than any quick dry top coat I have tried, and I have tried them all. No shrinkage, smooth, does not thicken in the bottle and has a great glossy finish. It does not stay as shiny as Seche Vite, but dries quickly and has no shrinkage whatsoever. Highly recommend!

on 7/30/2013 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

My bottle of Seche Vite has reached the halfway point, and it's gotten to the thick and stringy stage. I know Seche sells a restorative product for their top coat, but in my opinion it's silly to spend money for two products when it's cheaper to get just one that works till it runs out. This NYC top coat seems to be my Seche Vite replacement. It seems to be a very comparable product: it has the same thickness, a beautiful shine, and it also dries quickly. I don't know how long it will keep my nail polish free of chips, but so far, for the price, I'm really liking it.

EDIT: Yay! No duvet marks on my manicure! Granted, I waited more than long enough for my nails to dry before climbing into bed, but I was still thrilled to find in the morning that my nails still looked perfect. This mega-inexpensive top coat earns major points with me.

on 6/4/2013 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

This came free with the NYC In a Minute Cool Breeze polish I bought at CVS. Both were shrink-wrapped together and cost $1.99. Plus I had a $1 coupon so it really was dirt cheap. Honestly I wasn't expecting much, but it dries super fast and provided a nice shine. I didn't use it on wet polish -- the Cool Breeze was already dry by the time I put this on -- so I can't say if it works to set wet polish or not. But for a top coat it's a winner. Would definitely repurchase.

on 5/6/2013 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my go-to top coat. It's unfortunately not as shiny as Seche Vite, but I can't stand the awful smell of SV or how it shrinks most of my polish on the nail. And for the $2 price tag, I'll gladly take this NYC top coat and keep stocking up on it. Like SV, it tends to get thick approximately halfway through the bottle, so keep nail polish thinner on hand. It dries pretty quickly—though it's prone to denting right away if you're not careful for the next 20 minutes or so—over most polishes and seems to last pretty well with minimal chipping in most cases. I generally change polish frequently.

Popular Polishes