September 20, 2014 | 1606 users online

Crème - Illuminare - Extra Coverage Foundation/ Concealer

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2010 12:49:00 AM More reviews by jen513

I really love this foundation. It covers my acne better than any other foundation I've used in the past(clinique, mac, and so on). It doesn't seem to break me out, but I still get acne. And, it lasts forever!! Definitely worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 12:45:00 PM More reviews by js1624

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this stuff - bought it due to the great reviews and it live up to the hype. I use the Illuminare found first then the Extra Coverage Found where needed and it works great. At the end of the day my face still looks great, like my skin only better with a healthy glow. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2009 9:00:00 AM More reviews by tringar4

Amazing, I can't even tell i am wearing make up. Its very natural yet covers very well all my blemishes and scars. If you have problem skin then this is for you. Make sure to blend well, I would recommend you use COVER FX primer (the one for acne prone skin, as it works as a prevention for breakouts, also their best selling product ) before the foundation. and trust me i have tried all the primers and foundations in the market and this 2 in combination are the best.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2009 7:34:00 PM More reviews by missyjean130

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It covers well,but at what price? I exfoliate and moisturizer well everyday and this still looked cakey and gross on my skin! The lightest shade also has too much yellow in it.Did not like.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2009 1:04:00 PM More reviews by irish119

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had trouble with this at first; I didn't buy the little pad they recommend to apply it, but after I did that I had a much easier time. This stuff is perfect for me. I love mineral makeup, but noticed that it became less & less flattering as I got older. The powder, while it covers well, just seemed to accuenate any wrinkles and dryness I had. So I dug out the Illuminare Extra Coverage and was thrilled at how well it worked. My skin is very dry, so I do use a silicone primer. Tried them all, the Monistat everyone talks about works great. Makes a perfect, smooth canvas of my face. I use the Amalfi Alabaster shade, which is wonderful as I have very, very light skin, and most other foundations are a compromise. It may be pricey, but it goes a long, long way. Highly recommend this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2009 10:46:00 PM More reviews by livviilee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this foundation. For reference: I'm probably NC25-30 with lots and lots of yellow (Eurasian heritage), lucky to be born with good skin, however marked with scars around the nose and chin from my pimple busting days. Cheeks tend to get reddish with the cold but on the whole it's OK. Best shade match: Florentine Fair. I'm at work atm so I'll be brief!
- Best method of application: a newly cleaned foundation brush provided more coverage than the application pad, with the same amount of product.
- Coverage type: light to medium. I needed to use the Ultimate All Day Foundation for my scars, however it did a very good job covering up the redness. Dries to a smooth finish.
- Length of coverage - I was satisfied with the length of time it lasted on my face. Unfortunately foundation doesn't tend to last long on me, and I'm not sure what difference a primer makes, as Illuminare don't seem to sell any. On a friend's recommendation I recently bought the Giorgio Armani shaping foundation, and half an hour later it was gone from my face.
- Suitable skin type - I have combination skin which varies according to the time of month and my diet. If you have dry skin you will need to moisturise.
Overall I'm very very happy with this, as it also contains sunscreen. I'm already on to my next tube, as skinstore.com currently has a 20% off sale.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2009 9:26:00 PM More reviews by kalliope

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using Illuminare for probably the past six years or or more, and it's my holy grail foundation, for sure. Every once in a while I get the urge to be more "natural" and use only powder foundations with fewer ingredients, but in the end they just don't hold a candle to my Illuminare.

I usually use a blend of both the Extra Coverage and the Flawless Finish, which works well for me because I usually am a blend between two colors, Portofino Porcelain and Florentine Fair. I agree with another reviewer who said that the corresponding FF shade is VERY SLIGHTLY darker than the EC shade. I use them on my eyelids, also (I like a mix with a lot of FF for emolliency).

These foundations taught me that a dewier look is healthier and prettier than a tortured matte one (especially as one gets older). I've gotten compliments on my skin many times throughout the years, and I think it's great that people think my skin itself is that great looking, but I can tell you, it's the makeup! It just looks really natural.

The key to liking this, I think, is that you must blend it properly. The Extra Coverage blends best over well moisturised skin, but since I blend mine with the FF, that's even less of an issue. When blended well, it fills in pores (like around my nose) and gives a very flawless, naturally glowing, healthy finish. It's very highly pigmented, so start with a little, and add more as needed. If it looks too heavy, I think you've either used too much, not blended well enough, or you're trying to put it on over a dry, mattifying cream of some sort.

I break out from chemical sunscreens, so this stuff is a godsend. After one of my powdered mineral dalliances, I realized that I tanned quite a bit over several months and my skin just looked like it had aged a bit. I know I tanned because I had to darken my standard color mix, which had been the same for years. The MM powders just weren't blocking enough sun, at least with the amount I was wearing (which seemed like a lot).

These foundations may not hit all the trendy all-natural points, but it's great for sensitive skins. There are no unnecessary ingredients, no potentially irritating plant extracts, no oils. I'm very clog prone and break out from most products, but my skin seems to love this stuff.

As for the comments in some reviews about getting some separation during the day: if it's really warm, or if I'm sweating a lot, or if I've dehydrated my skin and it responds with extra oiliness, I've had this happen -- BUT -- the magic of this makeup is that all you need to do (maybe after a quick blot if you're VERY oily) is take your fingers and blend it back into your face! I do this, and it brings back the great finish. You don't need to add more layers of gunk to your face by using mattifying powders, in my experience.

I'm gushing, I know, but I love this stuff. Except for the MM powders, which don't count, I've only bought two other foundations in over six years! This is crazy for me, because I'm a product junkie who is always looking for the "better thing." I've just transferred my PJness to other things, now (like skincare and haircare)!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2009 10:53:00 AM More reviews by Pattigirl

This is my go-to foundation and I'll tell you why: it covers EVERYTHING. With that in mind, a tiny bit (like the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen) will go a LONG way. Anything more than that and you're going to end up with a masky looking face. I apply with a latex sponge, using a dot on my forehead, chin, each cheek and my nose, then blend blend blend. I can't stress this enough, blend! It's pretty easy to do, but if you don't do it, again, you'll end up looking masky. It's very cheap too if you consider how little you have to use. Even if the color isn't a perfect match for you, the blending will get you there, so no worries.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2009 10:21:00 PM More reviews by tmking

This product is extremely pigmented, and a little on the thick side, but I don't think that I would classify it as a creme foundation. On days when I need to cover lots of stuff up, this is my go-to. It's slightly mattifying on my oily skin, but not overly so, and gives a very natural finish (I used to get tons of compliments on my "perfect skin" while wearing this). It WILL tend to look cakey if you use too much product (it takes relatively little), or if you don't apply quickly enough. As a result, I find the best method of application involves the use of a damp sponge, gives you a little more leeway, and can sheer out any spots that dried too fast.

For my drier days or if I just want a lighter coverage, I love to mix this half and half with Illuminare's Fantastic Finish formula, it's perfect! My combo-oily, semi-breakout-prone skin has no troubles with this formula, and it has excellent staying power. SPF21 physical sunblock seems to hold up pretty well for me (I like to use this and/or the FF when I go to Hawaii).

When I was about NC5 (*extremely* pale with yellowish undertones), the shade Amalfi Alabaster was one of the few foundations not only pale enough but also NOT-pink enough to suit me. It does lean slightly yellow. My skin has mysteriously darkened to about NC20, with pronounced yellow-beige undertones, and now Portofino Porcelain is an excellent match (it is more beige and less yellow than Amalfi Alabaster). In between, I mixed the shades to varying degrees. **I think the identical FF shade is slightly darker than the Extra Coverage, but maybe I'm imagining this, I'll have to check more closely sometime.

This isn't the cheapest foundation, at $27 for 15mL, but it isn't the most expensive either, and you can almost always get it for at least %20 off from various online retailers. Also, you need to use a relatively small amount--compared to traditional liquid foundations--so the small tube lasts. The packaging is okay, some people may like the fact that it's a sanitary sort of tube, but I have had two of five tubes I've used/purchased so far either crack at the neck of the tube or the neck of the cap. Very annoying. Overall though I strongly recommend this foundation, even if regular minerals don't work for you (they don't really work for me either). Have repurchased, and will again.

continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2009 8:20:00 AM More reviews by acurrens

i have acne-prone skin w/ redness and this foundation does look good when first applied. however, if there are any dry spots, this product makes them look worse. after about 4 hours of wear, the product, on my skin, was no longer blended and had settled into my pores.