February 28, 2015 | 1193 users online

Lip Gloss - E.L.F. - Studio Lip Stain

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2012 6:01:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not sure why this is called a "stain." There is no staining in the sense that, once the layer of product wears off, colour is still left on the lips. because the layer of colour dries, it's going to dry out your lips somewhat, regardless of whether you use the included gloss or a balm under the colour. Additionally, because it dries, any moisture that comes in contact with it, be it saliva or balm or gloss is going to turn it pasty.

I have this in 2 colours, the hot pink and a rosey nude, and I don't care for either. Due to the chalky nature of the colour, it highlights any lip imperfections, so any dryness or fine lines are immediately visible. The drying, I mentioned, feels a little gross and, once you add the gloss to the dry colour, it just feels heavy and thick. The colours are nice and, if these worked like an actual stain (think balm stain), I think they would be beautiful, but the formula is just bad. The only time I use these now is to use the clear gloss on it's own with other products. Would not repurchase, as I've found much better products that are true "stains," even if they're a tad more pricey.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by sannt

I don't get all the negative reviews. This product is awesome! The trick is the wait till the lipstain is dried first because it goes on like a lip gloss. You'll know it's dried when it's matte. Once it's completely dried, it's definitely a lip stain. What I really like to do is to add the clear gloss on the center of the bottom lip for a more finished look. But if I'm going for a more natural look, I would just skip the gloss completely.
If you're concerned with it being a little drying, putting on a lip balm first usually helps.
However, the one thing that I don't like about this product is that it can be streaky. But it's nothing that you can't work with.
I have the colors heartbreaker and birthday suit, but I'm definitely going to purchase more!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by ladysonoma

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amidst all the negative reviews, I actually liked this product. It's very natural, and with the gloss looked really lovely.

The stain goes on like liquid and does not not burn or smell funny, or terribly dry and feathering, like Benetint or any others. The stain goes on like liquid, but dries with a cream feel that is similar to the NYX lip cream, except this is a thinner cream feel.

Anyway, with/without gloss, the look is very natural, healthy looking lips that reminded me of the NYX lip cream, and it was only $3, I think, on the website. I would buy more if I didn't already have a gazillion lip stains that I'm trying to use at the moment. This one is definitely a keeper!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by STlCKY

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the color Lucky Lady and it's a gorgeous orangy coral that looks amazing on my lips. The initial coat is quite sheer, so I usually put one coat on, wait for it to dry, put another coat on, wait for that to dry then top it off with the clear gloss. I really love the texture of the clear gloss as well, it's really smooth and feels nice. The only thing that wouldn't make me buy the product again because it doesn't really "stain" my lips. Once I eat/drink, it's gone.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2012 8:02:00 PM More reviews by mirageangelhope

Heart breaker really doesn't have much pigment to begin with so that is problem number one.Problem two is when you put on the gloss the original color disappears.This product doesn't dry once gloss is applied and it keeps moving around my lips.This is one of the few e.l.f fails I've had.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Ninuh01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product! At first I wasn't interested because I am more prone to buy Revlon and Body Shop. However, after reading a review on Youtube, it got me curious. I want to have a red and pink lipstick but I am not that inclined to wear them often because red lips for me is not an everyday look while pink lips are well, ... I just don't like pink. But then I thought, it's nice to have those in my collection.

ANyhow, I got the red carpet and it's not very pigmented but it's red enough that I considered wearing it everyday. Don't put on too much because it's a lip STAIN so it will STAIN your lips. I quickly spread it on my lips and smoothed the lines and liked what I saw. The finish is matte (without using the gloss) and the staying power is long provided you don't eat. It's sticky a first few minutes but that's how it's supposed to be on your lips for a long time.

I'm considering buying Birthday Suit or Heartbreaker (whichever is pinkier)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by Sasy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this in Red Carpet when making an ELF haul and have not have success with lip stains but decided to give it a whirl. I love it. Absolutely great staying power and great color. Very similar to Mac Russian Red. Not for the faint of heart but a beautiful bold color.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2012 5:52:00 PM More reviews by xzombiecourtneyx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This lip stain is alright. I wasn't extremely impressed. It tasted weird for one thing. The color I had was Lucky Lady and it didn't look the flattering on me. I wanted to try out a lip stain but this wasn't incredible. It doesn't stain like it says it does. It just goes on and fades off after awhile. I had to reapply it a lot and it dried a lot too. I was still considering trying some of the other colors but for now I don't really like this too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by cjMadamFresa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i love birthday suit and heartbreaker. i apply mac lip primer first then a lip balm on top. lips look good all day! (it does kind of have an alcohol smell to it at first, kind of not good, but it goes away quickly).

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by marimbist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not horribly priced, nice packaging, nice gloss, but the lip stain itself is crap. Way too much pigment. The only way you can enjoy this stain is to use a tiny dot of it and smear it around yourself. I had the darkest pink one, the red carpet, and I hated it. Do not buy.