One 'n Only Argan Oil Treatment

Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Yellow 11 (CI 47000), Red 17 (CI 26100)

on 2/10/2015 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

First of all, this has got very, very little argan oil in it to judge by the ingredients list (the argan oil comes AFTER the fragrance, so it must be only a drop or two per bottle). The product is, in fact, primarily dimethicone and another silicone variation. Calling this "argan oil" is extremely misleading, and kind of equivalent to calling chocolate cake "eggs". (I bought the product online from a favourite beauty item supplier, but I wish now I'd taken the trouble to do some research to find the ingredients! I wouldn't have bought it if it had been on a shelf and I could easily look at the label.)

I'm not all anti-silicones the way some people are, but I don't like them on anything like a regular basis and only use them in certain very specific situations. Dimethicone, particularly, is problematic because it's not water-soluable (which makes it good for keeping your hair from going frizzy in humidity, admittedly), and to get it out of your hair, you have to use a sulphate shampoo (again, most people do, but I prefer not to if I can avoid it because sulphates/sulfates tend to give me an itchy, dry scalp and make my hair go frizzy, plus they strip the colour out faster). Dimethicone can also build up over time and make your hair heavy and sometimes make it look greasy. Again, this can be fixed by using a sulphate shampoo, but as I try to avoid them and as I only use silicones in my hair very rarely, this is a bit of an issue. (The fact that there is next to no actual argan oil also kind of annoys me, to be honest.)

However, I did try it, because I like to be fair (and I did pay for the stuff!). I do like the scent, which reminds me of a softer version of the synthetic fragrance oil called "dragon's blood" that you can get for making soap, lotion, etc. The product, however, just doesn't do a lot for my hair. It seems to work best when I just put a little bit on the ends. If I put it through the rest of my hair, even in very small amounts, it tends to weigh it down, which is what dimethicone usually does for my hair (and in a few situations, that's what I want, but not most of the time). And then, of course, if I want to get it out of my hair, I have to use the sulphate shampoo... So, yeah, no.

I definitely won't be buying more of this, and didn't use the bottle I had once I'd trialled it for a little while. Instead, I'll get some actual, real argan oil, which I've found can be purchased from a cosmetic ingredients supplier for a fairly reasonable price.

on 7/13/2014 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this at my local Sally's for 20.99. Which, I find to be expensive but thought I'd give it a go.

My Hair: after several color stripping processes (4 in the span of 3 days - Ion Color Corrector, specifically), my hair was obviously very dry and very sad. Thankfully, the color corrector brought me to a nice light copper brown. Closest to my natural shade. I've been dying my hair since I was 13 one way or the other and after about a decade I'm going to try to let it grow out and be healthy. But even without dying it, it was dry and dull and brittle and fluffy. That was my hair's state 3 days ago.

How I Use This Product: Following a protein treatment, following the color stripper, I applied a quarter size amount of the oil + deep conditioner (I use Biotera Ultra Moisture) and left on my hair for hour under a shower cap. Then I rinse with COLD water and when my hair is damp but not dripping, I apply half a quarter size amount to my ends and shaft.

When it was drying, it looked kind of slick, which worried me because when I first bought this product, I used too much and in the wrong context so it made my hair greasy. I have shoulder length hair and if you've used this you know a quarter size (as I mentioned above) is a lot, but I think used in a conditioning process/being rinsed out, toned down in the grease dept.
I let my hair air dry and voila, it was silk and shiny and soooooo beautiful. The copper gleamed and the brown radiated. I am so pleased.
I have done this treatment 2x now and gotten the same results. I DO straighten my hair afterwards but DONT blow dry. I have not recolored either.

Also, I considered that maybe it was the conditioner working the magic, but no. I used the conditioner by itself and it was half as lux as it was before with the argan oil.

Oh and I don't know if this is an important factor, but I had shampooed my hair with warm water (using Ion Effective Care Shampoo) and when I condition I always rinse it with cold water. Its a pain in the ass but I try to avoid too much heat exposure. Aside from flat iron lol

Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral

If your having a bad, dry, crispy hair day you will like this conditioner. I don't use it all the time but it does help tame the frizz with just the tinest drop. Easy with this stuff or you'll look like an oil slick. I like to use this when I my hair is feeling incredably dry and fly away. It smell really good if you like the smell of light warm musk. I have two bottles and still have the other so even if you can only afford the small bottles don't be mistaken that it wouldn't be enough oil it's been over a year and I still have the first bottle that I got on sale at sally on a bogo deal. I also like to use this on my body and heard that you can mix it in with lotion so it is a house hold commodity in my opinion.

on 5/21/2014 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I was very reluctant to try this product because I have an oily scalp but very fine, dense, bleached and damaged hair. A friend from work came in one day with healthier, shinier hair. She said she used Moroccan Oil (she also has fine hair), but it was too expensive for me. So I decided to try this after reading many good reviews on Sally Beauty's website. I apply a very small amount (about 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon) to my shoulder length hair from the midshaft down after washing my hair. It also makes an excellent detangler, my hair dries faster because it seals the cuticle and it does not give my hair an oily look as long as I don't use too much. My hair IS so much healthier and shinier now. It also makes an excellent hair protectant. a couple of days per week I use a hair dryer, flat iron or curling iron and it doesn't damage my hair further. It's a win win win!!!

Love this! Ran out of the expensive moroccan oil one and saw this on sale at sallys for like 4 bucks so I grabbed it just to try it out, not having high expectations for it. I use this on damp hair and livens up my hair! Makes it look super shiny and healthy and smells great! Doesn't weigh my hair down and absorbs right in. Can go two days without washing it.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This oil smells devine, and I only need a small amount on the ends of my hair. I only use this product after washing my hair since I can see this product just sitting on my hair and being greasy on dry hair. I would definitely repurchase since it aids in detangling my hair and makes it dry faster.

on 3/21/2014 5:20:00 PM

The first time I discovered this was when my friend was still in cosmetology school and I went to her for a haircut. After she had washed my hair and was back at her chair she added something to it. I had asked her what shampoo she used on my hair because it smells so good! She showed me it was actually this argon oil. Ever since then I go to Sally's and buy this. I would recommend to add it to you're hair when your hair is wet. Right out of the shower I like to put this in my hair. One drop is enough for most lengths of hair. If you put the oil on dry it looks a bit oily but right after the shower your hair will look soft and fabulous! and it will smell soo soo good!

on 2/3/2014 4:30:00 PM

When I got the Keratin done ( years ago ), I noticed my hair stylist used this. It always left my hair soft, silky straight and shiny. And he only used a drop.
Ever since then, I got myself a bottle and have been using it ever since. I decided to go natural with my hair so I stopped using it altogether and only conditioned my hair for like 2-3 years.
Now that I have been getting into oils and DIY hair care and taking good care of my hair, I went back to this product. The bottle was empty so I went to Sally's and bought another bottle. It left my hair very soft, and silky. It does help control frizz and I only use about 1-2 drops everyday. I take really good care of my hair now, so I haven't had any issues some of the other buyers complain about. I do wish it was cheaper!

on 1/26/2014 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Have to be careful about applying too much as it can make my hair look oily if I get a little too much on.

Otherwise great price and great product!

on 12/9/2013 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Loooooooove this stuff! It's a miracle for your hair. Doesn't leave an oily residue, and heaps heal split ends. Great for all hair types, especially frizzy and damaged! Would definitely purchase again, but a little on the pricey side.

Top Rated One 'n Only Products