November 29, 2014 | 918 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Pressed Powder SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2012 8:07:00 AM More reviews by mpshouse

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The first thing I noticed about this product was how finely milled it is. The powder feels luxuriously soft, and tends to get all over the compact when I touch a brush to it. A puff may work better, but I personally prefer brushes. The finish is softly matte, not shiny or glowy like some mmu. I use Replenix Physical ss spray under my mu these days, and this powder tends to cake in spots over it, especially when I try to build up coverage. A very thin dusting works without caking, but offers no real coverage or blurring of imperfections. So it's not the best choice for going on moist-ish skin, as it wants to stick and cake up on those places. I bought this in Soft Porcelain, which is too yellow for me ( about NW5-10), so I can't comment too much on shade selection. I will say that while Soft Porcelain is too yellow for general wear, I like it's palest yellow hue for my purple under eye circles and for helping correct redness on my chin. Not a bad powder at all, just not quite right for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by jjkrh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am NW15 in MAC and I wear Tender Rose in this powder. The color is a great match and I have no issues with coverage. I use it over LM foundation, so I can't really comment on the exact coverage if used separately. I like the fact that this is pressed and easily handy to take along. I would not use the sponge thingy it comes with. I use a brush instead. The only issue I have with this powder is the smell. I have no clue why it has a distinct smell but it is not the greatest and it doesn't dissipate once on the skin. For the price, I sure don't think my powder should stink, ya know. So I am at a crossroads on whether to learn to love the smell or look for something better. Decisions, decisions.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2012 10:58:00 AM More reviews by neillxoxoxo

If you want a mineral foundation that is easy to carry with you, and that looks velvety and flawless on the skin, look no further. I had been pleased with Bare Minerals, as far as my skins health, but it always felt so drying, and you could see flaky patches. However, this lovely gem from Laura does exactly what I want, and looks so smooth. Doesn't break me out, beautiful coverage and texture. If you use the sponge that came with, thats because you don't really know what you are doing... Clearly use a kabuki

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2012 1:06:00 AM More reviews by choklad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT: I suspect the formulation for this has changed even though LM staff denied it. This product used to work great for me (I even finished 2 compacts because I used it daily). Now the color I used to get (Rich Vanilla) seems more cake-y and darker than before. I still have my old compact so I can compare the two. Not only that, when the current formulation oxidizes, it gives me a gray tone. I've complained & returned 1, they gave me a new one to try again, but it's still the same. I'm not going to buy this product again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2012 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Jasminetan87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I would clarify this product as an average product. It seems to turn cakey after a couple of hours. The foundation doesn't last.And needs constant retouching.
It doesn't cause any outbreaks though.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2012 1:51:00 AM More reviews by Ivyxoxo

It worked OK for me, but as many other LM products, the coverage of this powder fades after a couple of hours. So I guess it works better on dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2012 9:21:00 PM More reviews by ItsStillAWrap

*EDIT*

Ok, now that I'm using this with a great Primer (Hourglass MIneral Veil) I love it. The coverage is awesome and its not caking (on super hot days it starts to look a little funny, but I think thats to be expected if you're wearing full makeup on a 90 degree humid day).

People keep telling me they can't believe that I have acne b/c my skin looks so clear....yay! So lessen learned with this one. Use a good primer. For a powder foundation, the coverage is surpringly great.

This is a tough one.

Pros-the coverage is quite good. I have acne and I really like the way this covers. Its easy to apply using either a sponge or a brush. The color I chose (tender rose) is a great match. I like that its in a compact.

Cons: I dont know if its just me and my skin is very dry b/c all the acne meds I use. But lately (esp. in the heat) I'm finding that by mid day this has caked up and separated on my face. I can see very obvious areas of makeup that look really bad. Again, this very well may be because of my skin being so dry. But ...I'm not sure. This is happening even when I use a moisturizer and a primer.

I have repurchased this and will probably keep using it until I can find something I like better. If you don't have super dry areas on your face, this may be fine. It used to be great for me, its just lately I'm having trouble.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by Techers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Really nice powder! This gives me a very soft finish, and the color match is perfect. I wear soft porcelain on my very fair neutral skin. I apply lightly with a brush after my moisturizer/spf. I would give this product 5 stars, but I think it is too expensive for the amount you get. I paid $35 at Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2012 12:15:00 AM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this over my Skinceuticals Physical Fusion SPF 50 sunscreen since I have to wear moisturizer underneath and it makes me a tad shiny. The finish is great, natural looking and not cakey. When I apply this in the morning, I look just as fresh at the end of the day. I wear Soft Porcelain and I'm N3/NC15. I apply it with the Laura Mercier Powder Brush and just buff it onto my skin. I use Clinique TTDO Balm at the end of the day to remove everything. Love!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2012 10:19:00 PM More reviews by NKS

My quest to find a mineral foundation is ongoing. The phenomenon that Bare Essentials has created is too difficult not to get caught up in and I have to admit, mineral foundations cause a lot less breakouts for me than liquid foundations do.

After becoming disillusioned by BE fairly quickly, I've tried Bobbi Brown (ick!), Origins Skin tone Corrector (not bad) and now this.

First of all, the shades are on the cool side and it also jumps from a light medium shade straight to darker shades. There's no choice in between which is unfortunately where I fall. I'm a warmer medium tone. I liked the way this felt on my skin and the coverage was good and decided that with a little bronzer I could probably make this work.

Secondly, the puff it comes with is pretty much pointless unless you want to keep it to 'blot' as opposed to reapply during the course of the day. I also don't like how the pan doesn't lift to store the puff underneath it. I hate any compact powder that has it's sponge applicator just sitting on top of the product.

I've had this for about three months now - initially a heart sink, another product I'd wasted money on. But it's grown on me. I have put that I wouldn't repurchase but that's because I haven't made up my mind yet as I'll still be looking for an alternative whilst using this. It does cover blemishes, gives a smooth flawless look when initially applied. However, pretty soon the T-zone becomes shiny and it needs reapplication I'd say about 2-3 times a day, just over the shinier areas. I also think the brush Laura Mercier recommend with this (a medium handled fluffy brush) is a bit of a dud. It's better applied with a kabuki brush (I recommend Chanel - MAC one makes me a little itchy and the Bobbi Brown one is too soft and glossy to really pick up product to then buff in). I also needed to be really careful about evenly spreading this product out - if you buff a little more product on the 'problem' areas, it starts looking a little caked where the product seems to just clog on top of the previous application, looks grey/dark brown (depending on the shade you've bought obviously). It's better to take a much smaller, flat foundation brush and just add little bits to blemishes to get a little more coverage. I then use Chanel Soleil Tan (Bronzing Makeup Base) lightly over it to adapt more to my natural skin tone. And it works!