Laura Mercier Mineral Pressed Powder SPF 15

3.5

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide. Ingredients: Silica, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Lipids, Jojoba Esters, Pearl Powder, Lauroyl Lysine, Copper Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Extract, Lycium Chinenesis (Lycii) Berry Extract, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Extract. ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

on 8/21/2013 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has been a staple in my makeup bag now for about a year. I bought it because I wanted a pressed powder that had a heavier coverage that I could use over foundation for extra coverage (My skin was quite bad), and also for touch-ups during the day. The sales assistant at Space NK recommended this to me, and the ingredients list didn't look offensive so I bought it.

Now that my skin has improved, I can get away with wearing this on it's own, but most of the time I use it to keep away oiliness over my BB cream during the day. I take it with me everywhere! The packaging is brilliant and I even love the little sponge that is included. It never looks cakey on me and in fact has a really lovely blurring effect. If I do have a bad breakout, I can put quite a few layers on of this over my concealer and it doesn't look thick.

I will repurchase this for as long as it is around. Even though it is pricey, I think it is worth it, and one compact lasts me about six months with daily usage.

on 1/30/2013 7:28:00 PM

I have to put in a good word for this. Yes, I have bought this item multiple times, even though I have also spent a lot of time and money trying to chase down a more perfect mineral makeup (without much success). For awhile I just carried this around to touch up my Alima Pure during the day. Then I realized that LM just plain looks better on me and seems to last longer.

Real Sand is one of the better color matches I have ever lucked into in any foundation. (Even though a Bobbi Brown rep assured me that the LM foundations are tragically brown-based, which is alleged to give a muddy look all through the color ranges. Just thought I would share that, though I don't think I agree.)

The coverage is good, and I much prefer the soft matte finish of the pressed powder to the fairly sparkly loose version (which can definitely go gray on me). The pressed mineral powder gives a nice glow when it warms to my skin. I do have to apply it carefully; it's easy to get too much in one spot and make a mess. I get the best results using the Sephora mineral powder brush -- now in a mini version for touch ups.

I like that this only uses zinc oxide (no titanium) as the sunscreen. My skin is pretty sensitive. And while this does have the dread bismuth oxychloride, it has never bothered me.

EDIT: I just gave the loose version another whirl, and hated it all over again. It seemed to have far too much metallic shine and not enough pigment to cover my redness. I would catch a glimpse of myself and feel like I was coated with some kind of transparent glassy layer that let every flaw shine through. Not a good look at my age!

on 12/11/2012 8:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The first thing I noticed about this product was how finely milled it is. The powder feels luxuriously soft, and tends to get all over the compact when I touch a brush to it. A puff may work better, but I personally prefer brushes. The finish is softly matte, not shiny or glowy like some mmu. I use Replenix Physical ss spray under my mu these days, and this powder tends to cake in spots over it, especially when I try to build up coverage. A very thin dusting works without caking, but offers no real coverage or blurring of imperfections. So it's not the best choice for going on moist-ish skin, as it wants to stick and cake up on those places. I bought this in Soft Porcelain, which is too yellow for me ( about NW5-10), so I can't comment too much on shade selection. I will say that while Soft Porcelain is too yellow for general wear, I like it's palest yellow hue for my purple under eye circles and for helping correct redness on my chin. Not a bad powder at all, just not quite right for me.

on 11/7/2012 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I am NW15 in MAC and I wear Tender Rose in this powder. The color is a great match and I have no issues with coverage. I use it over LM foundation, so I can't really comment on the exact coverage if used separately. I like the fact that this is pressed and easily handy to take along. I would not use the sponge thingy it comes with. I use a brush instead. The only issue I have with this powder is the smell. I have no clue why it has a distinct smell but it is not the greatest and it doesn't dissipate once on the skin. For the price, I sure don't think my powder should stink, ya know. So I am at a crossroads on whether to learn to love the smell or look for something better. Decisions, decisions.

on 9/24/2012 10:58:00 AM

If you want a mineral foundation that is easy to carry with you, and that looks velvety and flawless on the skin, look no further. I had been pleased with Bare Minerals, as far as my skins health, but it always felt so drying, and you could see flaky patches. However, this lovely gem from Laura does exactly what I want, and looks so smooth. Doesn't break me out, beautiful coverage and texture. If you use the sponge that came with, thats because you don't really know what you are doing... Clearly use a kabuki

on 9/9/2012 1:06:00 AM

EDIT: I suspect the formulation for this has changed even though LM staff denied it. This product used to work great for me (I even finished 2 compacts because I used it daily). Now the color I used to get (Rich Vanilla) seems more cake-y and darker than before. I still have my old compact so I can compare the two. Not only that, when the current formulation oxidizes, it gives me a gray tone. I've complained & returned 1, they gave me a new one to try again, but it's still the same. I'm not going to buy this product again.

on 7/27/2012 2:28:00 AM

I would clarify this product as an average product. It seems to turn cakey after a couple of hours. The foundation doesn't last.And needs constant retouching.
It doesn't cause any outbreaks though.

on 6/11/2012 1:51:00 AM

It worked OK for me, but as many other LM products, the coverage of this powder fades after a couple of hours. So I guess it works better on dry skin.

*EDIT*

Ok, now that I'm using this with a great Primer (Hourglass MIneral Veil) I love it. The coverage is awesome and its not caking (on super hot days it starts to look a little funny, but I think thats to be expected if you're wearing full makeup on a 90 degree humid day).

People keep telling me they can't believe that I have acne b/c my skin looks so clear....yay! So lessen learned with this one. Use a good primer. For a powder foundation, the coverage is surpringly great.

This is a tough one.

Pros-the coverage is quite good. I have acne and I really like the way this covers. Its easy to apply using either a sponge or a brush. The color I chose (tender rose) is a great match. I like that its in a compact.

Cons: I dont know if its just me and my skin is very dry b/c all the acne meds I use. But lately (esp. in the heat) I'm finding that by mid day this has caked up and separated on my face. I can see very obvious areas of makeup that look really bad. Again, this very well may be because of my skin being so dry. But ...I'm not sure. This is happening even when I use a moisturizer and a primer.

I have repurchased this and will probably keep using it until I can find something I like better. If you don't have super dry areas on your face, this may be fine. It used to be great for me, its just lately I'm having trouble.

on 5/25/2012 4:40:00 PM

Really nice powder! This gives me a very soft finish, and the color match is perfect. I wear soft porcelain on my very fair neutral skin. I apply lightly with a brush after my moisturizer/spf. I would give this product 5 stars, but I think it is too expensive for the amount you get. I paid $35 at Sephora.