Laura Mercier Mineral Pressed Powder SPF 15

3.5

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide. Ingredients: Silica, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Lipids, Jojoba Esters, Pearl Powder, Lauroyl Lysine, Copper Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Extract, Lycium Chinenesis (Lycii) Berry Extract, Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle) Extract. ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I usually use the loose powder version, but I'd thought I'd give this a try just because its more convenient to travel with. I use real sand in both. The pressed version is slightly lighter than the loose version, but both are a good match for me. The pressed powder has amazing buildable coverage and a matt finish that doesn't look too 'flat' or unnatural. It doesn't have the glowy effect of the loose, which isn't a bad thing. I have oily skin so its great on those extra shiny days! It lasts all day and I've started to use a light dusting of the Laura Mercier mineral finishing powder over it which gives a flawless finish.

According to the LM website, this is a powder foundation, offering “a natural, buildable foundation for sheer to full coverage”. Unfortunately I was looking for a sheer, light setting and mattifying powder, and instead I was sold this not knowing it was actually a mineral foundation product. (This is the last time I will ever listen to the SAs at Space.NK!) I was incredibly angry when I found out what had been sold. But, to the product itself – to be fair I have to judge it on its own merits.

I think it is a decent mineral powder foundation for someone with no skin texture issues, it is not overly shiny, and it holds fairly well through the day. However, it looks quite obviously made up, and it is not really possible to get that naturally polished look. The product is so soft that a huge amount of product comes off on the brush I use to apply it with (forget the sponge, it is useless), so I have to tap off the excess to avoid applying waaay too much. The colour “natural beige” is a good match, but will probably be a bit too dark in the winter.

One thing that loses this product points big time is that it really emphasises pores – not only on my nose, but also on my cheeks – they look like little craters! No other powder has ever done this. If I try to buff, it just makes things worse so I have to apply sheer finishing powder on top of this product to hide them.

I would not buy this product again, but it is possible option if you are looking for medium to full coverage mineral foundation powder and either have no issues with pores or do not mind having to apply another powder on top of this powder foundation. Lastly, a word about the packaging – it is the standard square LM compact but why can they not make the mirror bigger?

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has been a staple in my makeup bag now for about a year. I bought it because I wanted a pressed powder that had a heavier coverage that I could use over foundation for extra coverage (My skin was quite bad), and also for touch-ups during the day. The sales assistant at Space NK recommended this to me, and the ingredients list didn't look offensive so I bought it.

Now that my skin has improved, I can get away with wearing this on it's own, but most of the time I use it to keep away oiliness over my BB cream during the day. I take it with me everywhere! The packaging is brilliant and I even love the little sponge that is included. It never looks cakey on me and in fact has a really lovely blurring effect. If I do have a bad breakout, I can put quite a few layers on of this over my concealer and it doesn't look thick.

I will repurchase this for as long as it is around. Even though it is pricey, I think it is worth it, and one compact lasts me about six months with daily usage.

I have to put in a good word for this. Yes, I have bought this item multiple times, even though I have also spent a lot of time and money trying to chase down a more perfect mineral makeup (without a lot of success). For awhile I just carried this around to touch up my Alima Pure during the day. Then I realized that LM just plain looks better on me and seems to hold up longer.

Real Sand is one of the better color matches I have ever lucked into in any foundation. (Even though a Bobbi Brown rep assured me that the LM foundations are tragically brown-based, which is alleged to give a muddy look all through the color ranges. Just thought I would share that, though I don't think I agree.)

The coverage is good, and I prefer the soft matte finish of the pressed powder to the fairly sparkly loose version (which can definitely go gray on me). I do have to apply it carefully; it's easy to get too much in one spot and make a mess. I get the best results using the Sephora mineral powder brush -- now in a mini version for touch ups.

I like that this only uses zinc oxide (no titanium) as the sunscreen. My skin is pretty sensitive. And while this does have the dreaded bismuth oxychloride, it has never bothered me. I'm still not 100% gung ho for it, though.

EDIT: I just gave the loose version another whirl, and hated it all over again. It seemed to have far too much metallic shine and not enough pigment to cover my redness. I would catch a glimpse of myself and feel like I was coated with some kind of transparent glassy layer that let every flaw shine through. Not a good look at my age!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The first thing I noticed about this product was how finely milled it is. The powder feels luxuriously soft, and tends to get all over the compact when I touch a brush to it. A puff may work better, but I personally prefer brushes. The finish is softly matte, not shiny or glowy like some mmu. I use Replenix Physical ss spray under my mu these days, and this powder tends to cake in spots over it, especially when I try to build up coverage. A very thin dusting works without caking, but offers no real coverage or blurring of imperfections. So it's not the best choice for going on moist-ish skin, as it wants to stick and cake up on those places. I bought this in Soft Porcelain, which is too yellow for me ( about NW5-10), so I can't comment too much on shade selection. I will say that while Soft Porcelain is too yellow for general wear, I like it's palest yellow hue for my purple under eye circles and for helping correct redness on my chin. Not a bad powder at all, just not quite right for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I am NW15 in MAC and I wear Tender Rose in this powder. The color is a great match and I have no issues with coverage. I use it over LM foundation, so I can't really comment on the exact coverage if used separately. I like the fact that this is pressed and easily handy to take along. I would not use the sponge thingy it comes with. I use a brush instead. The only issue I have with this powder is the smell. I have no clue why it has a distinct smell but it is not the greatest and it doesn't dissipate once on the skin. For the price, I sure don't think my powder should stink, ya know. So I am at a crossroads on whether to learn to love the smell or look for something better. Decisions, decisions.

If you want a mineral foundation that is easy to carry with you, and that looks velvety and flawless on the skin, look no further. I had been pleased with Bare Minerals, as far as my skins health, but it always felt so drying, and you could see flaky patches. However, this lovely gem from Laura does exactly what I want, and looks so smooth. Doesn't break me out, beautiful coverage and texture. If you use the sponge that came with, thats because you don't really know what you are doing... Clearly use a kabuki

EDIT: I suspect the formulation for this has changed even though LM staff denied it. This product used to work great for me (I even finished 2 compacts because I used it daily). Now the color I used to get (Rich Vanilla) seems more cake-y and darker than before. I still have my old compact so I can compare the two. Not only that, when the current formulation oxidizes, it gives me a gray tone. I've complained & returned 1, they gave me a new one to try again, but it's still the same. I'm not going to buy this product again.

I would clarify this product as an average product. It seems to turn cakey after a couple of hours. The foundation doesn't last.And needs constant retouching.
It doesn't cause any outbreaks though.

It worked OK for me, but as many other LM products, the coverage of this powder fades after a couple of hours. So I guess it works better on dry skin.