Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair

Price: $

Price: $

on 6/7/2014 11:34:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

A vinegar rinse is the easiest thing to make hair more awesome. Also, there's a simple way to do it that keeps your hair from smelling like vinegar. i just do it after rinsing off shampoo, before applying conditioner. Then you don't have any vinegar smell remaining after rinsing off conditioner. I started doing vinegar rinses to make my hair shiny, which works and it also makes hair softer too, but another benefit i started seeing immediately is that any skin flakes or dandruff go away instantaneously! It was bye-bye dandruff, it went away completely. I don't know why anyone would bother with dandruff shampoo when a vinegar rinse is so natural and easy. I've used everything from Braggs to regular ACV to the cheap white vinegar sold in big plastic jugs, and for hair rinse purposes, honestly it makes no difference. Just cost-wise i would save the more expensive Braggs to eat, and I could see using Braggs as a skin toner because facial skin is a lot more sensitive. To make my hair rinse, I start with a big plastic 32oz cup, the kind they give away at McDonalds or Seven11. I put about 1/2 inch of vinegar in it, then take it into the shower and after rinsing off shampoo, I fill the rest of the cup up from the shower, pour the contents over my hair and then apply conditioner and let both sit on my hair for a few mins before rinsing. Because the cup is soft plastic, it's safe to take into the shower, and also the large size allows for a good water to vinegar dilution ratio. Because my hair is thick and on the dry side, i usually wash 2-3x/week - not sure if a vinegar rinse would be too much if done every day. Try this, you won't be disappointed.

on 5/7/2014 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I wanted to love this so bad, but I must admit that I'm a little disapointed...

Pros:
- great to clean the rest of the skin after using cleanser (when used as a skin tonic)
- the price is FAAAAB
- it's supposed to be great to drink also? I haven't tried that yet..
- it dosent make me break more out than always

Cons:
- It dosen't help on my acne :(
- it can't be a little harsh on the skin (remember to mix it with water)

on 5/7/2014 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

I use Biona brand raw ACV. Staple natural product and cheaper than 3 in UK health food stores budget beauty, I'll keep in my arsenal forever.
Fantastic for any digestive issues eg- 1 tbsp in a glass or water helps reduce bloating or excess gas issues like nausea stomach aches etc within about 10 mins.
- I add it to my pink salt baths and it makes skin even softer than the salt does alone- amazing!
- I spray on my natural 4C hair as a pre-poo before adding my conditioner, sit for 35 mins and rinse out. Its been making my hair feel silkier which is especially useful in terms of flat iron prep. The science behind it involves its PH levels and ability to flatten hair cuticles.

I'm looking forward to trying my ACV spritz combined some raw honey that i''m awaiting in the post as a DIY natural hair mask soon.

Multi use items get the biggest thumbs up from me!

on 3/16/2014 2:55:00 PM

I recently hopped on the ACV bandwagon, and I am not getting off any time soon! I have naturally curly hair that is very sensitive to chemicals. I find the more natural products and DIY remedies I use, the better the quality of my hair turns out to be. That being said, I no longer use a conditioner. Instead, I only rinse my hair with water and apply a leave in conditioning cream after the shower daily. Once a week, I apply a generous amount of olive oil to my hair and leave on overnight as a deep conditioning treatment. Olive oil is great for rebuilding strength and elasticity, while also providing shine. I then wash it out the next morning with Shea Moisture's raw shea butter moisture retention shampoo (sulfate-free!) and condition my hair with ACV. ACV works great in conjunction with the olve oil treatment, because it clarifies and adds shine without soaking it in chemicals. I only use shampoo to ensure I remove all of the build up from the olive oil. The ACV acts as a conditioner by detangling and smoothing the cuticle. Then I rinse my hair with cold water, and my hair air dries with shine, body, and bounce like never before. I have never seen my hair in such great condition. I know that it not only feels healthy on the outside, but it is healthy on the inside as well. I'd highly recommend this regimen to anyone who wants to use more natural ingredients. It is great for curly hair because you are never stripping it of moisture, and you are allowing the natural oils to do their job in between weekly washes. Try it out!

on 2/8/2014 10:22:00 AM

I think the best hair product or moisturizer I ever tried was the pro naturals moroccan argan oil leave-in treatment. There is non comparison so I highly recommend everyone checks it out!

on 1/16/2014 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

i tried acv as a toner. my skin was freaking out and i had no time to make a special trip to trader joes/whole foods, so i used the heinz acv i had at home already.

i diluted it in water, 1/3 acv to 2/3 water. morning after, i had new whiteheads in places i never break out. i figured "oh this is that purging everyone talks about." by night, they'd disappear and new ones would form by the time morning came.

i started getting worried, but i kept going for a week and i kept breaking out. i ended up stopping and it took two weeks for my skin to normalize. i wish it was as great for me as it was for others. :(

on 1/15/2014 10:42:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I love this as a toner. I use 50% ACV and 50% bottled water. I apply with a face pad and wait til it dries before moisturizing. It makes my pores smaller and keeps my acne at bay. Very effective. I also enjoy rinsing my hair with it before I condition. It makes my hair smooth and frizz free. After shaving my legs I use it to close up my pores kinda like aftershave. Love it. Cheap, natural and effective.

on 1/10/2014 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't use Apple cider vinegar on my face is, but I do use it in my hair. I find, that after having oils such as coconut, mustard or castor oil unless I want to over wash and dry out my hair, there is still a bit of a greasy residue.
Here's what I do when I oil my hair: apply the oil, Leaving it on for the required time. using a gentle shampoo ( I use Live Clean Sulphate free shampoo) I wash my hair 2x, then rinse with a liter of filtered water with one tablespoon of ACV ( I have a filter on the shower head) and that way I get the desired results from the moisturizing oils without stripping my hair. That said, using ACV too much can be really harsh. I don't oil my hair more than three times a week hence I don't use ACV more than than that. I always follow with cold water and a light cream rinse such as the one you can get from avon.
I found, that frequent and judicious use of apple cider vinegar along with the other methods such as hair oils and scalp massage, have helped regrow quality hair.

on 12/31/2013 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I swear by this! I have melasma on my cheeks ( hyper pigmentation) and after a week the lightest side is almost gone!!!!!!!!!!!! I take pictures every single day to make sure because i can not believe it!!!!!!! Used it on my hair and the first day I rinsed it was straw like, next day ( today) dried completely flat bs beautifully, can't stop running my fingers through it!!!! Yes the smell is bad but tolerable and well worth the changes I'm seeing, especially on my skin.

Oh my goodness---I am so glad I saw the reviews on here. There are so many uses for this stuff that you can find in these reviews and online, and it is very inexpensive! I am using this as a hair rinse, and I have been very impressed.

I was a bit concerned that the acidity would be an issue for hair, but after reading a lot of blogs on this online, I decided to give it a try. I have shoulder length, straight, and thin hair. I do 2 parts warm water to 1 part apple cider vinegar. For me, I like to put it on my hair after shampooing. Then I leave it on for about a minute and rinse, and I follow with a light conditioner. I've read that it helps seal the hair cuticle---I'm not sure the validity of that----but it does make my hair very soft and smooth.

The only con is that the apple cider vinegar smell does linger a bit. It's not a bad smell to me, but I don't really want it in my hair. It does improve and seem to dissipate some as your hair dries, but you may want to keep this in mind. If you use a hair product that has a pleasant scent, it should be able to keep it from being an issue as it is very slight.

Popular Hair Products