July 31, 2014 | 1975 users online

Hair - Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2013 9:19:00 PM More reviews by briloveschocolatebunnies

Oh my goodness---I am so glad I saw the reviews on here. There are so many uses for this stuff that you can find in these reviews and online, and it is very inexpensive! I am using this as a hair rinse, and I have been very impressed.

I was a bit concerned that the acidity would be an issue for hair, but after reading a lot of blogs on this online, I decided to give it a try. I have shoulder length, straight, and thin hair. I do 2 parts warm water to 1 part apple cider vinegar. For me, I like to put it on my hair after shampooing. Then I leave it on for about a minute and rinse, and I follow with a light conditioner. I've read that it helps seal the hair cuticle---I'm not sure the validity of that----but it does make my hair very soft and smooth.

The only con is that the apple cider vinegar smell does linger a bit. It's not a bad smell to me, but I don't really want it in my hair. It does improve and seem to dissipate some as your hair dries, but you may want to keep this in mind. If you use a hair product that has a pleasant scent, it should be able to keep it from being an issue as it is very slight.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by blondbunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

OK count me on the "I'm a believer bandwagon! This stuff is amazing it smells awful but as a hair and skin beautifier this takes centre stage and its dirt cheap too which makes it even more amazing in todays world you can look and feel fantastic and all it starts in your local supermarket and not at a department store which you are mostly paying for is the name and fancy packaging now don't get me wrong I love chanel dior and all those fancy brands but the best thing by far is these organic wonders that sit unoticed on the grocery shelves I never would have thought in a million years about putting apple cider vinegar on my hair or skin I probably would have laughed at you a few years ago but the moment I started using this in my beauty regime I have never looked back I use it like this as I find its the best method and is less messy then applying it straight out of its bottle I found an old hair spray bottle making sure its thourougly clean from all residue I poured fresh clean purified water about half and then filled it to the top with apple cider vinegar I shake it well for about a minute or two and then use straight after my shampoo I leave it in for a minute then follow with a pea sized amount of my conditioner making sure it is rinsed properly and their is no excess reside in my hair I do not recommend leaving it in your hair as it weighs it down and leaves it feeling wierd so make sure its rinsed out properly it leaves my hair with a wonderful sheen like when I was a kid again with virgin hair it leaves it so soft and supple Its never looked this amazing in years and for skin it brightens my complexion and leaves my skin looking flawless amazing apple cider vinegar I will never doubt you again

8 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 8:52:00 AM More reviews by icarle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I actually use ACV for two things: as a toner for my face (i have occasionnal breakouts) and i drink it.
As a toner, i use it at night after washing and before moisturizing, it helps clearing any zits, and it brightens the skin. I don't dilute it, i know some people do, but my skin is not sensitive. If you have sensitive skin, mix the ACV with water 1:2.
Same with drinking it: 2 tablespoon in 16 ounces of water, 3x a day. After 4-5 days, my skin glows, clears up and becomes plump and fresh. It's AMAZING, really. Plus it fights common infection such as colds and flus, so it's the right season for that i guess.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2013 4:26:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've struggled with a dry (yet oily!), flaky scalp for years and ACV is the only thing I've ever tried that makes a real difference. I use this diluted (I add an ounce to a quart sized bottle and then fill the rest with cold water) as a final rinse after my conditioner without rinsing it out and it makes a huge difference in the health of my hair and scalp. It eliminates the flakes, strips the product from my hair and adds a lot of shine. It even seems to make the ends of my hair less dry and more healthy. I don't find it to be an adequate replacement for conditioner as some do, but I have pretty long hair (almost elbow length) that's prone to tangling without conditioner. People with shorter hair and an oily scalp may be able to skip conditioner entirely if they use this.

Many people say that the smell of ACV disappears after their hair dries but I don't find this to be the case. The smell definitely fades as it dries, but I still used to catch whiffs of it the next day. Since I HATE the smell of vinegar, I dropped a bunch of cloves and a few cinnamon sticks into my bottle and let it steep for a few days to see if the smell could be improved. This experiment was a huge success! The spices didn't just mask the vinegar-y smell, they actually made the ACV smell more like apples! The scent it leaves in my hair now is like mulled cider, which I LOVE. You still get some of those eye watering fumes when you open the bottle, but even that is more subtle that it was before I infused it, I can't recommend doing this enough! I chose clove and cinnamon because I had those on hand and like the smell of spicy things (and because cloves are supposed to be good for dark hair), but I imagine other pungent herbs or whole spices would work too.

22 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 1:34:00 AM More reviews by SPerk

So many uses for this stuff! I ventured into "no pooing" a few months ago and used this with water to condition. Though I gave up on the baking soda part I stuck with this stuff. Makes hair soft and helps with build up.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by missmarcella

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is the shit! I put a bit (a teaspoon or two, sometimes a tablespoon if im up for it) in my water every morning. Have to admit, it is NASTY. Disgusting and awful but has made my skin so beautiful and amazing and clear id say its worth it. Good luck;)

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 8:25:00 AM More reviews by judiness

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've read many reviews on ACV and girls please be careful with your ratio. The 4/1 ratio for your hair is way too much. 1 table spoon per cup of water is plenty.

Now for my review, I've recently switch country and I'm now confronted to very hard water. Hard water can really build up on the hair and make it dry and brittle. I use the ration mentioned earlier in filtered water as a final rinse. If you put back hard water in your hair after in kinda defeat the purpose. I alternate between a gentle bio shampoo (lavera) with occasional clarifying shampoo. When I use it with the gentle shampoo I use the ratio mentioned earlier, with my harsher shampoo I add a couple of drops of glycerin in the mix to make the rinse more moisturizing.

If you have dry hair you can use either a very small amount of glycerin, aloe juice or honey. I will counteract the drying effect from the ACV.

As for the results, my hair is very shinny and full and doesn't get greasy as fast. And contrary to what people think for external use you don't need the mother in it.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by nyomya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I have both Bragg and Walmart's own brand "Great Value" ACV and I don't see much difference for rinsing my hair. I often spend time in the pool and can't spend $ for swim shampoo. I saw in some swim forums that rinse off with ACV after shampoo and conditioner or mix baking soda in the shampoo. So I chose ACV rinse method. I have healthy hair except that quite dry and rough after spending ~4-5x a week in the pool. Of course, I lost weight :) Anyway, I bought a gallon ACV bottle from Walmart with <$5 and 1:4 mix with water in an empty shampoo bottle. That gallon bottle lasts the whole summer... I still have some in the bottle. In my experience, Bragg smells very stronger than Great Value. My hair doesn't smell like ACV with GV but I feel the clean feeling. Since I am rinsing off after not longer than 3 min, I don't see the point of using organic or natural but maybe when I have more $... I save Bragg for facial mask with Indian/Bentonite Clay.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by uhlizubeth

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I do an acv rinse every Sunday. It makes my hair feel so smooth and removes mineral buildup. I shampoo my roots then add a mixture of mostly water and a few splashes of this, no conditioner needed.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2013 11:35:00 PM More reviews by alishe43093

I've had so many problems with acne since i've been about 12, and i'm still dealing with it and i'm 20. I've used numerous topical creams, have been on accutane (which I have to say improved my acne by about 70% and its been about four years since being off of it). Some of my acne did come back after about a year so I went on doxycycline-which did nothing. A year and half ago I tried the acne.org system and it worked so well for me. But after a year and a half, i got some light acne again which is annoying after being clear on and off again-plus it spread to my chest and back a little. Good system, but very messy and makes your skin feel weird if you don't put it on right after you shower or wash your face...yet I would recommend it to people if ACV didn't work for them.

My mom suggested that I try ACV so I mixed ACV and water (1/4 cup:1/4 cup) with about 5 drops of tea tree oil. So far I love this!!! I find the tea tree oil is very strong in the container at first with the ACV/water mix, but it tones down after a day or so. It also seemed to help cut the time the smell lingered on my skin, and I didn't notice a smell when I sweat after I added the tea tree oil, which I could a little before I added the oil. I have very sensitive skin and it does burn on some pimples, but it did not last long at all. It didn't dry my skin out, but it did bring out a few small flat pimples. I only have light acne now, so the amount of pimples it can bring to the surface probably depends how many pimples are lingering below the surface. Be patient, it's so worth it. My skin was so dry from the acne.org so I used Ponds moisturizer-heavy duty stuff and my favorite go to moisturizer by far. ACV has balanced the pH level in my skin, I haven't even used the moisturizer in a while, but maybe in the winter i'll use it again? I'd also suggest using this Aztec clay mask I found at the better health food store-I paid $6 for a huge jar-and it has improved my skin so much [http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/itemid=74122]. Lastly, use ponds cold cream to remove makeup and a bar cleanser from soapworks(i use the carbolic one)-they are all natural [http://puresoapworks.com/carbolic.htm]. They smell weird before you actually use them, so don't disregard the product because the initial smell. I heard it can also be used on the body to help repel mosquitos [http://puresoapworks.com/mosquito_stories.htm]

My regime:
get rid of makeup with ponds cold cream makeup remover [night only]
wash face, chest, and back with carbolic soap
Use cotton pads to apply ACV/water/tea tree oil toner to face, chest, and back
*2-3 times a week I use the Aztec Clay mask. DO THIS BEFORE TAKING A SHOWER, comes off way easier in the shower.

I was nervous at first using makeup because of possibly spreading bacteria. I've started out lightly and haven't had any problems with breaking out!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No