Kat Von D Tattoo Liner

Water, Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene, Glycol, Alcohol, Beheneth-30, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Methylparaben, Polygylceryl-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Edta, Carbon Black.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This stuff is bulletproof! I have repurchased multiple times:))

I have super oily skin, most liquid liners slide off and fade on me, but this one stays pigmented all day!

Love how dark and black it is. I receive compliments about my liquid liner all the time and people want to know what I use. For me, this is validation that I'm going to continue repurchasing.

on 8/7/2015 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Tattoo Liner is definitely one of the most popular liquid pens on the market. It seems to be part of the Sephora sales associates standard uniform, because most of them wear it. Kat Von D has a lot of fans because it's a cruelty free brand that's easy to find at Sephora. However, I was disappointed in Tattoo Liner, and every time I give mine another try, I'm reminded of why I bought several other eyeliner pens from other brands after this one.

I have a problem with Tattoo Liner transferring and smudging on the inner corners of my top lids. I have this problem with a few liquid pens, not just this one. Smashbox was a disaster, too. Even with eyeshadow primer, even powdering before, even with all the extra help Tattoo Liner could get from me as far as technique, this smeared. So after I bought this and gave it a fair shot, I went on the hunt for something better. I bought Stila's Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner pen, and to my great delight, Stila's doesn't wear off as easily and I don't have to fiddle with it throughout the day. So between the two, Stila's works better for me personally, and they are around the same price.

However, I love the indie vibe of Kat Von D's company and the cruelty free policy. She's young, she's trendy, she has a nice powder foundation, and the concealer is great. I've had the Lock-It Concealer for a while and it's one of my favorites. I do think this liner has a few pluses. It is easy to use, inky dark black, and good for a dramatic line.

But it also flakes off in little black chunks, smears and smudges, and rubs off. It's NOT long-wearing, and it's not worth $19. Stila's lasts MUCH better on my lids. And Bobbi Brown gel liner will stay even if I don't use eyeshadow primer, even if I use a cream shadow and no powder. It just lasts longer.

Clinique's Pretty Easy pen stays in place better than this, too. Kat's Ink Liner pen may be a different formula, and maybe that one's okay. I bought mine last year. Maybe the formula is different now, because lots of people seem to love theirs. But I've owned this for awhile now, and it's definitely not "bulletproof," nor is it the best. It's just an average liner that smears.

on 8/7/2015 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my HG liquid eyeliner! I own this in Trooper, which is a richly pigmented matte black. This is waterproof and smudge-proof when it's allowed to set for a minute (even without a primer.) I like the fine brush tip of this eyeliner as it makes it easy to draw a thin, precise wing on my upper lash line. It's about the same price as the Stila waterproof eyeliner, which I also own. I feel the Stila one isn't as pigmented as KVD's and it has a glossy finish, which I'm not into. I owned my tattoo liner since April 2015 and it's still working just as new (I use this every day too) and I will keep repurchasing Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner in Trooper when I run out.

on 8/7/2015 1:02:00 AM

I really really loved this eyeliner. It was perfect. It actually worked on my oily eyes. So, why wouldn't I re-buy this and why the low score. Because: I paid $19 for this pen, which isn't bad. It's really not. But it lasted me all of 2 weeks. I'm not even kidding. 2 weeks. That was so disappointing :/ anyone else have this problem?

on 7/30/2015 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This eyeliner stepped up my liner game big time. It is so easy to do winged eyeliner with this brush - the bristle tip is great because it's so precise. And it's so, so long-lasting. I've slept with it on and had minimal smudging. And it doesn't flake off at all.

The only downside is that it doesn't have perfect pigmentation - sometimes I need two coats of the product to make it as black as I like. It's a more matte black too, which I like better than shiny liner.
Even though this product is 20-23 dollars, it's worth it because it's exponentially better than any drugstore liner I've tried!

on 7/17/2015 12:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have tried both of Kat Von D's liquid liner formulas, and they are both pretty much the same with minor exceptions. This one is my favorite, but they are both spectacular liners.
I always purchase mine in black. This is a very dark, mostly matte black liquid liner.
This liner has a great brush tip that is very easy to control. This makes it easy to draw a straight line as thick or as thin as you want!
Lasting power on this is amazing. It last all day, through sweat and some tears. I remove with Mac cleanse off oil in the evening.
All in all, I will continue to repurchase as long as this is being made.

on 7/14/2015 3:19:00 AM

I am on thelook out for profucts that enhance these blue almond eyed with a weird slant.. Kat vpm D has been i great durpticsr. Now I just want some pencils to blend under the bottom lash lines

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Best eyeliner EVER! Prior to using this, I used the Rimmel Exaggerate Liquid Liner, which lasted pretty well on my oily eyelids but had a felt tip that got dull and really hard to control very quickly. I also used the Maybelline Studio Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner--didn't stay as well on my eyelids but had a little better precision. However, the Maybelline's felt tip also got dull pretty quickly. With both the Rimmel and the Maybelline, doing my eyeliner took forever because I would use the eyeliner and then have to erase half of it with a Q-tip to get the desired look because the applicators were dull/imprecise/not easy to control.

I don't have that problem at ALL with this Kat Von D liner. I think the tip is actually made of very fine, small, densely packed bristles so it's actually a kind of triangular brush tip as opposed to a felt tip. Since it is a brush and not a felt tip, I'm anticipating that it won't get dull like the Maybelline and Rimmel. It applies just as I want and need it to and the precision is amazing. Staying power is GREAT --no smudging or anything all day during this summer heat. Doing my eyeliner (classic winged on the outer half of my lids) now probably takes me 30 seconds to do, as opposed to the 4-5 minutes it used to.

I did hesitate a bit before buying it because it's more expensive than the drugstore liners I've used, but it is well worth the money for those with very oily eyelids. I'd rather spend $18 on this liner than have to continually buy new, cheap, crappy drugstore liners.

Make sure to get the Tattoo Liner and not the Ink Stay. They look very similar packaging-wise, but the latter appears to have terrible reviews.

Packaging is nice--the cap goes onto the "pen" part with a satisfying click that feels very secure--no worries about the cap falling off and the pen bleeding everywhere.

on 7/10/2015 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I've purchased this liner over many times now and it's hands down the best liquid eyeliner out there. The closest I've found to this is the dolly wink liner, which was more pigmented but harder to control, took longer to dry, and wasn't quite as smudge proof. The brush tip on the tattoo liner gives you the finest point and the formula dries to a true matte black. It does not budge all day long (though breaks up easily with cleansing oil or mycellar water) and if you rub your finger over your liner after it dries, it will not smudge! My only qualms with this product is that it is pretty pricey for a liner and since I keep this in my makeup bag, the writing on the packaging always fades off to nothing. On the other hand, I don't go through these too often because they do not dry out and I don't really care about seeing the label on my eyeliner.

on 7/8/2015 9:50:00 AM

This is a staple for me. I've gone through at least 5 of 'em. Dark, easy to apply, lasts all day -- yet not too difficult to remove at night. I consider this midpriced (will pay the $$ for something that works, especially on liquid liner, which is a "daily use" item for me). Also, the tube lasts a long time without drying out. I vastly prefer this felt tip (Kat Von D also offers a brush tip liquid liner, which I sometimes get by accident -_-).

It's not perfect, I'm sure I could do better, but for the money and ease-of-use, this is perfect for me. The main cons are that it does take a few swipes to get the darkest black this product has to offer, and though the fine tip is great, it can be a little *too* fine and flexible, causing a shaky line.

-Definitely better than ANY drugstore liquid liner I've tried (a lot)
-Easier to use than gels (don't have to find/use/clean a brush)
-$21, which isn't cheap, but it's not terrible
-Can fade slightly, but doesn't flake off in chunks, either during the day or when removing at night. Doesn't stick to your lashes either (looking at you, Stila)

Overall: highly recommend.