Kat Von D Tattoo Liner

4.2

Water, Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene, Glycol, Alcohol, Beheneth-30, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Methylparaben, Polygylceryl-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Edta, Carbon Black.

I bought this in the color "Trooper"

I'm still using this product to get a feel for it, so my review may be edited later on. These are my first impressions.

If I could give this eyeliner 3.5 lippies, I would, but chose to round down to 3 because it doesn't deserve 4 imo.
I feel like I'm using a different product than everyone else because I'm not having the experiences others described. I bought this because I was impressed with the swatch on my hand and others' reviews. I used a cream eyeliner for the longest time and only bought this so I wouldn't get the color transfer and smudging I was getting when I did wings.

My biggest issue- The lasting power is just not there. With a name like "tattoo liner," I expected this product to stay put. I wear Too Faced's Shadow Insurance primer underneath this as well which confuses me even further. If I curl my eyelashes, some of the liner smudges off. I've never had this problem with any other liquid or cream eyeliner with my particular curler, so I know the problem lies in this eyeliner. Even when I didn't curl my lashes or do anything strenuous like sweating, crying, etc., the liner still wore off after about 10 hours of wear. I'm confused as to why a tattoo liner is not waterproof. This product should only come off when I want it to i.e. with makeup remover.

The next issue is that it's hard to get a precise line with this. It's faster for me to just use an angled brush with my cream liner than to use this stuff. I've used other liquids before but never struggled this much.

The color is a true black which I like, I mainly just wish it didn't disappear in the middle of the day.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have a problem. I purchased my first KvD product a couple of months ago and now I'm obsessed. I'm talking I have already spent $200AUD at Sephora in the last week and I'm going back tomorrow :/ The packaging is stunning. Best I've seen. The colours are unique and so pigmented! And the products are of the best quality I have experienced on 10 years of wearing makeup. Now on to the eyeliner.. Cannot fault it. Beautiful packaging, pitch black, precise applicator and doesn't budge. Will repurchase this until the product goes or I do lol.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I find as a person with oily eyelids, it doesn't really work for me. And the applicator doesn't give an even application till the end; It fades as you work your way on each lid. I really want to love this, but I don't. Try a small one though if you don't have oily lids as it may work for you.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

love the application, like the lasting power, hate the price. it lasts about 8 hours on me no primer, which is very good, considering every gel liner smudges within that time without primer. this is the best pen liquid liner I've ever used. the only thing that outlays this is Mac liquidlast, which is what I use on days I actually have time to perfect my liner. this is such easy application I can do it in one go. and I must mention this in conjunction with the stila one: I recommend this over the stila. the reason has nothing to do with the product, but the point of a pen applicator is to make application easy, and the felt tip stila has wears out easily and makes it hard to get a precise line after a while. this one stays perfect, it's the same applicator as the same asian pen eyeliners: dollywink, kissme, and Kate. all of which I've tried and are not as good as this one. I'm asian oily inner double eyelid btw. it's also pretty pigmented and instead of smudging everywhere it kind of just… disappears. love. will repurchase.

I don't use black eyeliner, so the Mad Max Brown is very good for me. It's fast and easy and lasts all day. It takes some work to get it off. I have used my eyeliner pen for quite a while. I have another one in my travel bag. Both of them are going strong. I am sorry to read that others have had problems. So far, I have had nothing but great results from this product. Best I've ever used.

Best eyeliner. Wish it came in purple.

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

This eyeliner isn't waterproof but it has incredible staying power. I did a thick wing eyeliner and once it dried I rubbed the wing with my finger really hard and even rugged and it DID NOT BUDGE! When I use a makeup wipe it's hard to get off but with a cleansing oil it melts right off. I have told my friends to get this and they were saying how good the eyeliner was. Even when you go to Sephora to swatch it, you can tell how strong the staying power is on your hand!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is the best liquid eyeliner pen I have used so far! Getting the perfect winged eyeliner becomes so easy when using this pen. It's the perfect size and the tip allows for a fine line or you can build up to a thicker line. You have great control when applying it and the pigment is very dark. It lasts all day without flaking or smudging, even on a night out.

With other eyeliner pens I have tried, I find they tend to dry out quickly, or it's hard to get the product to come out while applying. I never ran into these issues with this product.

I have ran out for this eyeliner and I am definitely ordering another one! It's more expensive than your typical drug store eyeliner, but it's definitely worth it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

For a few months, this has been my go-to, everyday liner. I have it in the color "Mad Max Brown", which is a dark brown-black (it photographs almost black, but it's a bit softer than true black). The pen-style packaging is pretty standard and cute, especially with the stars all over it. The formula is opaque, quick-drying and very long-lasting. I've worn this for 12 hours on my hooded lids and there was almost no fading, regardless of how much sweating I've done throughout the day.

My major complaints:
1) The felt tip comes apart after a lot of use, which means it starts to flake / bend / fragment, which is really frustrating. This has happened consistently pen after pen.
2) After 2-3 months of daily use, the formula gets really watery and far less opaque. It also starts to not "adhere" very well to skin, so a second stroke on top of a first one tends to wipe away the first one. This is usually my sign to get a new pen.

At the end of the day, I think this is still one of the best pen-style eyeliners by a Western brand. (At $19, this liquid liner is cheaper than Stila's and Smashbox's, which is why I keep coming back to it.)

Still, I'm thinking of switching to a Japanese eyeliner just to see if I can save some money.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Don't know WHY but only after the first few uses, it's very hard for it to come out, and when it does it's greyish, and HELL it erases the damned thing if I ever went over a point! It's even worse than drugstore liner!! :'( I Love kat Kon D but this eyeliner is shit. After a manager somehow convinced me i used it all up, I thought ok well I was trying to use it a lot, I decided to get another one, Same frikin problem!!

It only ever works if I press it hard on my hand :( such a shame.... I made sure to baby it and close the lid properly every time! I only gave it a couple lippies because the very few times it worked, it seriously would not budge at all which was a frikin miracle for my hooded oily eyes, Thought it was HG, but sadly it's not...