September 23, 2014 | 1965 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Curel - Itch Defense Skin Balancing Moisture Lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by mittens4kittens

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've suffered eczema for most of my life and was having huge issues with it last year. My skin is really sensitive and dry. I've tried everything. I did some poking around on the web and found this. While I couldn't find it within Australia (frustrating!) I ordered it from ebay and it has changed my life. It's ultra calming, very moisturising and slow absorbing so it seems to last. Since I've been using it my eczema has improved a great deal (it hasn't disappeared but I didn't expect it to be a miracle fix). Between using this daily on my face and body and using my cortisone ointment during flare ups, it has become very manageable. My only complaint is that I pay a premium price for it because I have to buy internationally and it's impossible to get to the end of the bottle because of the pump packaging. I think it's well worth a try for anyone else with eczema or really dry skin! Best of luck! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2013 1:32:00 AM More reviews by shelly73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying I've suffered from eczema for many many years. I also have asthma and allergies (that lovely triad of problems) My hands get so bad at times, that they crack and bleed, and build up serious amounts of scabby/dry leathery skin. Its very painful. My derm recommended that I use Eucerin in the tub (original) as well as Betamide (OTC lotion with urea) and a prescription for Lidex (fluocinonide sp?) to use when mine flares. Recently tho I've been getting toughened and itchy spots elsewhere and sometimes I'd rather not use the RX and Eucerin doesn't stop the itch. So I bought some of this. This stuff works GREAT at stopping the itch, but its no where near heavy duty enough moisture to cure those spots. I would buy it again only for the itch relief it provides (I believe it might be coming from the tapioca starch ingredients). I do use it in conjunction with my previous set of "treatments" and it seems to help.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 4:58:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am prone to eczema on my body and face so I have to be careful about using things that are too drying consistently or else my skin becomes reactive. I like the smooth consistency and the good absorbency. My skin feels moisturized but not greasy. There is no residue or strong scent, although I had an initial whiff of something strange (reminds me my fish oil pills for some reason) when I was applying this, but it quickly disappeared. This helps to alleviate itchiness for me, especially on my legs since shaving sometimes leaves them feeling dry. Overall, this is great lotion to have on hand. Will update as soon as I try it on my dd to see how it reacts on her eczema. edit: 2/1/13 My dd responded well to it. No flakiness or itching on her back and legs. Her skin was left very soft. However there is still that initial weird smell that fades after a couple of minutes. Maybe I bought a bad batch? besides that, this is excellent for eczema-prone skin. I think I will try the sensitive skin lotion next.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Ladyleopard805

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Holy cow! I wish I had found this product years ago! Yes it will curb your exczema flare ups, and yes your skin will feel MUCH softer. The ceramides in this lotion are amazing, my skin has done a totla 360. I constantly get compliments on how soft my skin is. The only downside is the lipids in the lotion make you smell sort of musky and fatty until they soak into the skin; which doesn't take very long. I have never found a better lotion that not only hydrates my parched skin, keeps me moisturized throughout the day, improves the look and feel of my skin, and keeps the itchy flare ups at bay. This is the best lotion I've EVER used.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 6:27:00 AM More reviews by hberlin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I suffer from eczema in the winter months. For years I slathered on super thick oils and paid ridiculous amounts on eczema specific moisturizers. It took me forever to discover that one of the keys to a great lotion for sensitive skin is a fragrance free lotion. This one is great- nice rich texture, lasts long, really does take the itch away.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2013 5:13:00 PM More reviews by mama2chloe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This stuff has made a huge difference on my hands and feet. It's some good stuff.
I have ecema (which was just diagnosed) so now I know why I've had dry skin for so long and no other lotions have helped. I love this stuff

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 12:11:00 PM More reviews by jadedgal05

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE THIS LOTION!

I have psoriasis & eczema. My skin can go from okay to horrible in no time. My problem areas are my legs, from knee to ankle, especially the shin area, upper legs, on the outer thigh & scalp. I suffer with this year round, but its especially bad in the cooler months. On my elbows I tend to have outbreaks but only in the winter months, during the summer in fine on the elbows.

Before I was diagnosed I had no idea WTF was going on?!?!? I've always had to deal with the roughness & itchiness on my elbows, but my legs? It started one fall after shaving. I shaved as usual, put on lotion, went to bed. I was woken a few hours later with my legs itching like there were covered in fire ant bites. I scratched & scratched, applied cortisone & scratched some more until FINALLY the itching abated, I went back to sleep. Things progressively got worse to the point that cortisone didn't help, I would scratch my legs until they bled in my half asleep state. I have scars on my shins, knees & calves to show for it.

I've used antihistamine pills, cortisone, prescription & OTC, Eucerin itch control & comfort cream, aveeno, basically EVERY itch relief there is. I was looking on MU alley a few months ago & read the Curel itch defense review, I bought it immediately & started using it. This stuff is amazing & I will NEVER be without it! After one application following shaving my legs I didn't have any itch, I use it after every shower regardless of whether or not I shave, on legs, elbows, everywhere! I even use it on my 7 yr old son's back when it gets the winter "itchies" as he calls it. Works like a charm.

The lotion is unscented though it does have a slight scent that goes away & does have a thicker texture coating the skin more do than regular lotions so I wouldn't recommend it for a friend who doesn't have eczema or psoriasis b/c the benefits of this product would be lost on them. I read a few reviews where the reviewer was complaining the lotion was too heavy, sitting on the skin, it smelled bad, etc., etc.. If you have normal skin without eczema or psoriasis then YES, this lotion is NOT FOR YOU. The very things you complained about are characteristics that people with eczema or psoriasis HAVE TO HAVE. We need something without added or manufactured scent, something thicker to coat the skin, if a person doesn't need this, they won't like it & shouldn't use it. Better to stick with a lotion NOT marketed/developed for people with eczema or psoriasis.

This stuff is cheap, it works if you have year round itchiness from eczema or psoriasis. It's thicker that most lotions but not uncomfortably so, but I'll take it b/c I'd rather wear a heavier lotion than itch myself to death. This product is amazing for people with the following skin conditions: eczema or psoriasis. I will purchase again.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2012 11:17:00 PM More reviews by thevnilly

I like Curel products in general, but this one is a no for me. I don't have eczema, but I do tend to have dry skin if I don't moisturize daily. I found that this just kinda sat on my skin and because of that, didn't soak in and moisturize the way I like.
Plus, it smells like gak to me. ( If any of you remember that stuff from your childhood. :) )

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2012 1:36:00 AM More reviews by Slone07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

If you're a fan of Crabtree and Evelyn's Hand Therapy, the texture is identical and has the same effect on hands and cuticles. This is a fantastic, highly moisturizing lotion that leaves skin feeling silky smooth. I have since started using CeraVe cream on my body and love it for it's ingredients, but find that it lacks the nice after feel of this Curel lotion. That said, should I find myself with a dry patch or two, I'd happily layer some of this on top, knowing that it would fix the problem. This is really good stuff!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2012 11:10:00 PM More reviews by jmoulton87

This lotion is moisturizing, but doesn't relieve itchy skin. I find it has an odd texture and leaves my skin feeling chalky. I would choose not to repurchase this lotion simply because I hate the medicinal smell.