Bobbi Brown Illuminating Bronzing Powder in Antigua

4.6

on 8/24/2011 12:05:00 AM

This suits me very well. You have to be very pale for this to turn up well on your skin. For me, I like a healthy pinkish hue instead of full-on bronzer (yes, this is not exactly 100% bronzer, in case you're looking for one) and this fits the bill very well. Don't get this if you're looking for a bronzer tanned look, you will most likely be disappointed. If you're looking for a lil summer glowing look, I think you'd be pleased.

on 8/21/2011 6:56:00 AM

I was intrigued about the blusher/bronzer for fair skin, my skin is very fair. I would agree that the more accurate way to describe it is as a blusher. It is quite pink, more like sunburn than suntan to me. I wasn't overly keen on the gold sheen the Antigua gives, it seemed to highlight imperfections and pores, the opposite effect you want. I think the Shimmerbrick gives a nicer effect if you want a bit of a glow.

I generally love Bobbi's products, but I think her matt bronzing powder is better on my particular skintone.

on 7/7/2011 8:16:00 AM

I bought this about a year and a half ago and have been using it pretty much daily ever since. I'm very pale, I wear Alabaster in Bobbi Brown foundations, lighter than MAC NC/NW15. Regular bronzing powders make me look dirty. Antigua however works wonders. It makes my skin look fresh, but it doesn't look too obvious. I like my make up to look fairly natural and not too noticeable, and this fits the bill. Yes, it is shimmery but I don't end up looking like a disco ball or tin man (MAC MSFs have this effect which I don't really like), just with a pretty glow on my cheeks.
I would not describe this as a bronzing powder, it's more like a light blush or a brightening powder. Because of the pinky-peachy colour I would not wear this on any other part of my face than my cheeks. I do need an actual blush to wear with this, the colour is too sheer on its own even for a super pale person like me. My favourite for this is MAC Mineralize Blush in Pleasantry, I just apply a tiny bit Pleasantry on the apples of my cheeks and then Antigua for a more all over colour.
The packaging is otherwise good, nice big mirror and plenty of product inside, but after about a year's use the lid doesn't close anymore. That's fine with me since I don't carry this around, but it is a bit annoying. I have already hit the pan with this powder and will repurchase when I run out.

on 7/1/2011 8:18:00 PM

FIrst, I love Bobbi Brown. I cannot resist a woman entreprenuer with a pioneer spirit. The great thing about her is she has managed to forge into a territory that not many other cosmetic companies have - the darker skin tones. She's also done it brilliantly. It's not just the darkest tones, either it's the ones in the middle that she seems to have nailed so perfectly - like NC40 me! I wear the 4.5 in the foundations and the Antugua is the perfect counterpart. It's not too shiny, not too sparkly. not too pigmented. It's perfect. And once it is applied and it sort of oxodizes, it sort of melds into my (yellow toned) skin and looks like I've been swinging through the jungle and eating fruit all of my life in the tropical sun. Ok, that's corny, but it does give a great glow year round. It's perfect. Love.

on 5/26/2011 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have a MAC C40/NC42 or Bobbi Brown Honey skin tone and this product looks great on my skin. i was initially worried that this would be too light for me and not make much difference to my darker skin however it gives my face a lovely healthy glow and enhances my cheekbones beautifully. I have had compliments about how well I looked after wearing this so it definitely gets full marks from me.

on 5/19/2011 11:53:00 AM

Finally! I found the perfect bronzer! And it's the last bronzer I will ever buy. Why? Nothing could be as good as this one. I'm very pale, and this color is absolutely perfect for my skin tone. Gives my face the perfect flush. Not orangey or dirty looking at all. I only use a tiny bit on my cheeks and forehead, but you can build to a darker tone and even that looks great.

Unfortunately, like most of Bobbi's products, it is outrageously high in cost. But the product is well worth the cost because there just isn't anything as good as this out there. Most bronzers are very unflattering to pale faces and this one is the exception, so I don't mind paying a fortune for something that looks this good. Awesome product, can't recommend it enough.

on 5/17/2011 9:49:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Like many reviewers of this product, I am very pale. Normal bronzer just looks stupid on me, but this is a gorgeous colour. I agree that the colour is more of a blusher than a bronzer. I don't find it glittery, just gives a subtle, flattering glow. Use it lots in the warmer months when my Pale Pink Pot Rouge doesn't feel quite right.

on 5/16/2011 4:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Brilliant bronzer! I have never been able to wear any bronzer as they always look ridiculous on me. I am super pale with a cool pink undertone. I have tried loads and loads of bronzers and eventually gave up trying to find one. Saw this and thought I would try once more. So so glad I did. Perfect. It's subtle, will last ages and makes me look healthy.

on 5/1/2011 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. I have very fair, pink toned skin, so most bronzers I've tried in the past either turn orange on me or just make my face look dirty. Not this one. It gives me a beautiful, "lit from within" glow to my skin, without being sparkly or obvious. Love it. Great for a very natural, effortless look. Would definitely purchase this again, although I feel like this pan is going to last aaaaages.

on 4/25/2011 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ooh la la!
Pretty close to blush perfection - though light skinned, pink toned beauties may be able to work this as a bronzer (I honestly haven't tried, I just use it as a blush, it's so pretty!).
Antigua is a nude toned beige pink, slightly dusky and with a very subtle shimmer. It's not sparkly like Maui but it does have a little bit of glow to it, I'd say a satin finish as opposed to shimmer. It is definitely more pink (as in Image 4 above) than brown though, but neutral, rather than warm or cool. It's not super duper pigmented and may need a couple of layers (which is my preference actually because it's easier to build up the desired intensity) to really show up, though this of course, depends solely on your skin tone to begin with.
Great for doing a diffuse pink wash of colour and then adding a smaller, brighter pop of colour right on the apples, gorgeous with a smidge of nude or peach toned highlighter or simply lovely all on it's own.
The 9 gram pan is very generous, if ever so slightly powdery at for $65NZD (I got mine for $45) so for about $7 per gram, it's more cost effective than most L'Oreal or Revlon blushers.
Hard to go wrong with this!

Popular Bronzers