September 22, 2014 | 1584 users online

Foundations - Bare Escentuals - bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2013 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Hooverbunny

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Loved this product 8 years ago until fine lines showed up. This product emphasizes fine lines. No primer works for this challenge.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2013 7:48:00 AM More reviews by YXXC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you get bumps, spots, itchiness, it's down to Bismuth Oxychloride. It's in a lot of eye products, eyeshadows and mineral makeup as it gives the skin that sought after glow. Ask the beauty counter girls if products contain it or read the packaging. Personally, I don't suffer with it and therefore rate Bare Minerals as it gives my skin a nice glow. Great for taking on short-haul flights as it's not a liquid so can carry on board. Using the primer that comes with the Get Started Kit means the powder doesn't cake on the skin. It's SPF 15, waterproof and the minerals found in it (other than Bismuth Oxychloride) helps to increase cell turnover.
For more honest reviews, 'like' me on Facebook Face Up To It, Twitter @YoCalliss, yocalliss.wordpress.com. Thanks :)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/4/2013 5:53:00 AM More reviews by Amelielydia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is pretty awful.

- It doesn't cover anything
- Doesn't look natural, cakes and collects around lines and pores
- Smells chemically - even others can smell it on my skin
- Accentuates all dry areas
- Difficult to apply and takes ages to buff to even a light coverage - very difficult to build up
- Makes me skin feel dry after just an hour of wearing
- So light that when I try to apply bronzer or blusher it comes right off
- Ridiculously expensive for what it is
- After just two hours it had separated horribly around my nose and chin to leave a very powdery flaky mess or makeup. I had to touch it up every hour or so to prevent it from looking so disgusting.

The only good thing about it is perhaps the colour matching, but I suspect that's because it hardly covers anything and therefore there's no makeup to match to my skin tone.

It's supposed to leave my skin feeling like it can breathe but I can feel the makeup on my face like any other foundation. It's light on the skin but feels just like any other makeup.

Maybe I'm not applying it right or maybe my skin is too bad to cover with something so light as I have quite a lot of acne scarring, but even in the unaffected areas it goes dry and clings to any flakey skin or larger pores like crazy.

I'm really disappointed. Waste of money. Unless you already have a lovely complexion and just want a very light makeup it's really not worth buying in my opinion.

/ I'd like to add that it probably is down to Bismuth Oxychloride as everyone has been saying but I found that at the end of the day my skin was unbearably itchy and I was swollen under the eyes. My skin was bright red and it still isn't quite normal. Clearly some kind of allergic reaction- Be careful if you're thinking of buying this product!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 11:02:00 PM More reviews by Shauneexo

Where do I even start? I'll start with its only strong points: photographs well, stays put, and and covers well without caking. Now onto everything else. First off, I got matched to Medium Tan, and I don't know what the hell people are talking about when they say how natural this looks. It makes me look gray, dead, and like I rubbed dirt all over my face. It literally makes my already dark under eye area look like I have two blacks eyes. Yuck!!! If the coloring wasnt so grayish, this would have a lovely finish. Also, my skin is very sensitive and this literally gave me 20 active pimples at one time!!!!!!! 20. And not just little bumps, I'm talking cystic, painful bad boys. It took me a month to undo the Damage from this foundation. I don't know how it keeps winning awards. It's worse than probably any foundation i have ever used. Stay away from this stuff!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2013 4:07:00 AM More reviews by foreverbj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Today is 6/4/13. I am now adding to this because there are still women out there not reading the ingredients before you put them on your face. You go into any MAC Store in the country you ask them for their big black book they will bring it out & you can go to any single product they have and look up every single ingredient.You can also call 1-800-387-6707 they are the specific people to call with questions about ingredients for any MAC Product.
People don't know that but I do that's how I know the products I can buy, as well as the ones I have to stay away from because of the bismuth oxychloride.
Bismuth Oxychloride can be found in ANY MAKEUP. Powders, foundations, lipstick, blush, eye shadow, lip liner, eyeliner, primer, moisturiser, highlighter,concealer, bronzer, mascara. EVERYTHING that has the word "mineral" in it, if you are don't care about what you're putting on your skin then you're going to get a bad reaction & guess what, plenty of women out there, their skin is damaged for life.
Don't believe me, go online & search it bismuth oxychloride plus skin damage. I am not making this up & I am tired of seeing every other post "it made me break out" "I don't know what it is" "I don't know what happened". Please do your homework, look up the ingredients. I'm trying to help you, so you can educate yourself. This is ridiculous no one working at the counter is going to tell you it's bad for your skin. You have to be responsible.
I go into MAC I have a list of the products I want to look at they pull out the black book & I look thru it. I'm not making anyone wait they can still help other customers. When I know what I want that's when I ask them. Take the lipglasses there is only 1 lipglass that does not contain bismuth oxychloride.
Yes I may be there an hour but you know what the manager came over to me asked me what I was doing so I said do you know what bismuth oxychloride is? She said no and she went on her phone right there and looked it up and said we don't carry that that's not in our products. I said look right here this is only one product, it is in a ton of your products. That's why I have to go through this book because I cannot have anything on my skin with that ingredient.
So I educated her & she told the other girls we're going to have a meeting later to discuss something one of our customers told me. So it made a difference right there. Now they are more aware if people are coming back with products saying I broke out all over, I have red bumps, they're going to know they're gonna look at the ingredients & see if bismuth oxychloride is in it & I bet you 99 to one it is.
All I did was answer a question, now the people that work at the MAC I go to are more educated & I am getting products that will not harm my skin.
Even drugstore brands Revlon L'Oreal Cover Girl Maybelline doesn't matter if it says MINERAL look at the ingredients if you can't see them look it up on your phone or call the phone number on the product. I don't understand how women don't even look at the ingredients. This is YOUR skin you can do permanent damage.This is not just makeup, its your skin.
I gave in & tried bare minerals 4yrs ago when QVC had a special on their Perfect 10 package: foundation, blush, mineral veil, eyeshadows, lipgloss & brushes. As soon as I put it on, my skin itched & burned & I started sweating instantly. It was on my skin 5 minutes. When I washed it off I thought it was done but over the next few days my skin broke out bad & I havent had a zit in over 16 years! I went online to see if anyone else had the same reaction & there are hundreds of women who have, due to the bismuth oxychloride which is made of the same components as ARSENIC & 75% of people in the world, are allergic to it.
Bare Minerals, Sheer Cover are the worst. The old commercials for bare minerals she would say you may feel a warming sensation when you put it on you know what that warming sensation is your skin peeling off! She doesn't say that now.I called in to QVC when they were talking about this product, I told them I had a ? & complaint & they refused to put me on the air! Nobody hears the truth unless you find it for yourself & I did.
There are some mineral makeups that do not include this ingredient like Bee-Lucious, Everyday Minerals, and Jane Iredale but I would advise reseaching all mineral makeup before buying. If I had done my research then I wouldn't be out $60 & more importantly would still have clear skin. UPDATE TO TODAY I do have clear skin again. I am still using MAC products their mineralizing foundation does not contain bismuth oxychloride, the finishing powder that goes over it does so I can't get it. So do your research, find out for yourself what other women have experienced, read for yourself that it's made of the same things as arsenic.
Don't take my word for it find out for yourself then you will know what skin products are safe for you. I truly hope somebody reads this and takes this seriously because otherwise you're just gonna keep asking why did I break out, why did I get the red bumps why do I have cystic acne, & the answer will be in your makeup.
Just empower yourself as a woman, This is something you can take control of and educate yourself so you know what you're putting on your skin. I hope you do.
Website: sterlingminerals.blogspot.com

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2013 2:00:00 PM More reviews by knbruice

I used to use this foundation for years and I absolutely loved it. But a couple months ago they changed the formula and it became TERRIBLE. The container didn't last nearly as long, didn't cover as much. And I kept having to reapply all day. It was as if they put alot more "filler" ingredients in there instead of actual makeup. The color still matched perfectly but the quality of this product has definitely gone downhill. I wouldn't buy this again and I switched back over to Urban Decays mineral makeup. Sad because this used to be a great foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 10:57:00 AM More reviews by strathyx

I LOVE this product! It's my absolute must have! I have combination skin, my forehead is often very dry but the rest of my face oily and prone to breakouts, and this product manages to give me good overall coverage, which is so hard to find.
I've read a lot of reviews saying that it causes breakouts, but I can say I have never had a problem, in fact my skin looks a lot better since using this product (I can only think that those people who get breakouts don't take care of their brushes as they should).
My one little niggle is the price- it is expensive (especially when you're a student) but a little goes a long way, so I don't find myself having to buy the product often.
The packaging cannot be faulted in any way- the click system stops any leaks from it, and stops product wastage.
Overall, I will never go back to liquid foundation again! But, for those thinking of buying it- really try to get into a store where a consultant will advise you on colours and which of their products is best for your skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2013 12:16:00 AM More reviews by che11262

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this product for about 3 years and loved it. It covered my blemishes very well and blended in with my skin. However, during the time I was using it, I almost always had some form of acne on my face. Yet, I continued to use this product because it was the only thing that covered the blemishes without looking too obvious. After going off of it for about a week, my skin immediately starting clearing up. As a test to see if the makeup was the culprit behind my breakouts, I decided wear it again for a day. About 2 hours after doing this, I noticed small acne bumps popping up all over my face, especially on my forehead. My old acne lesions also started to flare up soon after I put the makeup on my skin. I'm really bummed that my skin reacts to the makeup this way because I would get so many compliments from people saying that I looked like a "porcelain doll" and that I had perfect skin. I guess i'll just have to keep searching for the perfect mineral makeup that doesn't cause acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2013 1:01:00 PM More reviews by ericasue000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased the BareMinerals Matte foundation powder in the shade "light" and it was very yellowy and too dark for my usually beige skin. After applying this product I could feel it on my face, it was very tight feeling. Like I could feel it sucking moisture out of my skin. I didn't use a primer though so use a primer with this for sure. I didn't see anything special with this foundation but I think I would have liked it had I had the right color and a good primer. It did give good coverage. (buildable coverage)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 9:04:00 PM More reviews by courtneyjunexo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I should probably start off this review with saying that my skin is not oily or dry, and I've never had acne so my take on this foundation will be different from others that do. I've been using this foundation for about 4 years now and it's AMAZING. I use the shade golden tan, which is perfect for my skin tone. It makes my skin glow, especially with the mineral veil on top, and in summer with the warmth. One thing I don't like is without primer it easily creases into my smile lines. But overall it is an amazing product and I will keep using it until I find something better(probably won't). It is a bit pricey, but one foundation lasts me at least a year because you only need a little bit of product. Another thing is when you're first purchasing, make sure you get the right color because there's a big variety, and if you have golden or yellow skin make sure you get one that says golden in the title, because others will make your face look pink.