July 24, 2014 | 1023 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by loriorio

I wasn't very impressed by this product. It's the first matte topcoat that I've bought since I've read some good reviews and some bad (the other brands I read about were pretty much all bad). My interest in matte nail polish is to get the cool matte/gloss contrast when I use my Konad nail stamping kit to do designs. I have no interest in just wearing a matte polish alone. I used Nicole by OPI's Razzle Dazzler and this did a pretty good job mattifying it initially. I used my OPI Start to Finish with my leopard print stamp and it looked really cool and I was excited to show it off at school the next day. By the morning, the matte coat had gotten so shiny I couldn't differentiate between it and the leopard spots. I was bummed. It started chipping right away and by the end of the second day, my entire index finger had gone bare. I might try to use a protective top coat over Razzle Dazzler before the matte (someone said that would work) and try again. If it doesn't work, I'll spend the money on the Butter London matte.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 3:35:00 AM More reviews by sugarkookies

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

SUPER cool! This is my first matte finish nail product but I'm in love! What a great way to be able to wear your polishes 2 different ways :) It dries super fast and leaves the polish in the perfect matte fashion...give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by pgloe16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

FINALLY A NAIL TREND THAT SUITS MY PERSONALITY!

While I love learning about crazy nail trends, I just don't like super flashy looks on myself. I love bold colors, but often wished that my topcoats would just provide protection without the super shiny, sticky glossy finish.

I fell in love with this topcoat the moment I used it. I just love the look. I also love the satiny feel, which is similar to freshly buffed nails (and, as I realized while typing, like MacBook keys). As noted in other reviews, the topcoat does "darken" the color, but I would say that it neutralizes the color.

This is perfect for those of you who love getting manis, but want to have a look that doesn't scream "NAIL POLISH!!!" (like the fellas out there who like a little pampering), I highly recommend giving this a try.

I guess this isn't a very helpful review, but you can read all the other ones for info on protection wear, cost etc. I have nothing to add that they haven't already said.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 9:45:00 PM More reviews by LGel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First I'd like to say, I'd definitely repurchase. No question!

This matte top coat is great, but I can't compare it to others because this is the only one I've tried.

I find it dries insanely fast, so no need to worry about that.

I read here that people find it darkens the colour of the polish. I never noticed it, but now that I've read hatI guess I can see it now.. But it's not so obvious.

The only thing that'd make this matte coat better is if the brush was wider. If the brush was wider, the application would be way easier. I find the brush is a little narrow, and to avoid streaks, I load up the brush so I probably waste some of this matte top coat.

All in all, an awesome product that truly gets your polishes matte!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by butterscotchsunday

by far the best matte top coat i have ever used (okay, i haven't tried many, but still!). it goes on evenly without streaks and leaves a smooth matte finish.

try it over a glitter polish or a holo-effect polish. it looks really cool!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2013 11:22:00 PM More reviews by PetitOwl

I like this polish because it allows me to wear all my other polishes two different ways without having to purchase the matte version of those colors. I did find that it darkens the color of whatever polish you are putting it over. I've heard of other matte topcoats doing the same thing, however. This is actually good with some colors where I find that the darker shade looks better on me and thus end up wearing it more often than I did before. I also don't find matte topcoats to be as protective against chipping as glossy topcoats. I solved this problem by applying a layer of glossy topcoat under the matte topcoat. I find the effect to be the same as having only the matte topcoat.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by hgpt2

I love this matte top coat. You don't need to buy separate matte nail polishes when you can have a top coat do the job! The drying time is pretty fast with this one. I wore my nails a matte black and got so many compliments!! I totally would recommend this product to anyone who doesn't want to buy separate matte nail polishes for every occasion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 10:20:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A very good, effective matte top coat that does what it's meant to do. Put a coat of this over any polish, and instantly make it matte. Not all polishes will look that great with a matte finish, but enough do that you can really extend your polish wardrobe.

It's also very nice for adding texture to a basic manicure, such as matte nails with glossy tips. Very pleased with this one, and I'd definitely buy again.

Also good to have on hand for actual matte polishes, which have a reputation for not lasting long (although I don't have much problem if I just use a decent base coat). A coat of this will add a layer of protection without ruining the matte finish, although I've found that matte top coat is not as strongly protective as shiny top coat. It does help, though.

Also note that the lasting power of the matte effect is variable when you put this over a shiny polish. The tips tend to wear to a smoother, more satiny finish fairly quickly for me (doesn't matter if my nails are long or quite short, either, which surprised me). You may need to reapply after a couple of days if you want to keep the fully matte look going, but I think it can be kind of interesting to have the tips start to get shiny, a sort of textured/gloss ombre effect (well, it works for some manicures, anyway).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by twobluestripes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this. It make my nails very matte. I have very strict nail guidelines at my work, so I love that I can use this on top of more neutral or classic colors to make them more interesting or trendy. It dries quickly and the matte is very flat unless I miss a spot. I would say I normally need to reapply after 4 days, unless it chipped sooner. Washing my hands or getting them wet, soapy, or even lotiony or oily seems to have little effect. I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to do patterns on my nails that are part matte, part glossy, for a very subtle look. If you're looking for somewhere that has it in stock, find a friend with a cosmetologist licsense to take you to a beauty supply shop; my local supply has had it in stock at $5.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 5:12:00 PM More reviews by sll74

this is a great product and does what it claims. it makes matte any polish. i prefer a small brush for precision especially on my toes. my issues is that i realized i'm not a matte girl. i like shine so i returned this and indicated that i won't buy it again but if you like matte this one is a winner!