April 16, 2014 | 1886 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Redness Soothing Facial Wash gel

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2012 1:19:00 AM More reviews by mcf888

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I suffer from very oily skin with mild cystic acne. I can't say this product has made it completely gone but definitely has improved my skins appearance. I'm only 17 but i started suffering from acne since i was 13 and i have gone through so many products!! this was the only one that got rid of most of my acne. Honestly i have been buying this as my everyday cleanser for 3 years straight.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by sassypants

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm 31 and have been using facial cleansers since I was a teen, and only TWO have ever wrecked my skin... this one (Neutrogena Oil-Free Redness Soothing Facial Wash Gel) and the Neutrogena Grapefruit scrub. And when I saw they wrecked my face, I mean my skin hurt every minutue of every day.... itching, burning, flaking skin, roughened my skin texture.

This is just ridiculous, especially since I do NOT have sensitive skin. But even if I did, NO product should contain ingredients this harsh. If you don't believe me, take the time to read Paula Begoun's numerous and well-informed (because she's a chemist) articles about skin care and her product reviews. Should have read her review of this before purchasing, but live and learn. If I had I would have seen this: "it contains the irritating menthol derivative menthyl lactate" ... As much money as Neutrogena makes I know they can afford to include quality ingredients in ALL of their cleaners. They have some great ones, but having a (second) horrible experience has made me think twice about continuing to use even their exceptional products.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by trharvey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

As I write this review, my face is red and itchy after using this product twice. I was looking for something to help with my rosacea, but this is definitely not it!

I used it last night to remove my makeup and woke up this morning shocked at how my face looked. I am splotchy red and itchy all over.

After researching the ingredients online (the first 2 listed after water) I found out one is a harsh cleanser and the other an irritant to those with sensitive skin.

I will be returning this item and will probably never buy another Neutrogena product again.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by ceriseangel2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't have sensitive skin and this product is definitely not soothing for the skin. This product dries out my skin with just one use which makes my skin produce more sebum and I get awkward combination of oily and flaking skin. Th only thing that is good about this product is the green color gel in the clear packaging which is different than the regular one.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2012 10:37:00 PM More reviews by WhisperingWillow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have moderate acne and oily skin. And I've been using this product for about a month, every morning and every night. At first this product made my skin red and itchy, and brought lots of tiny bumps to the surface, but I pushed through hoping my skin would get used to it. After about a week and a half I started seeing improvement in my skin. My pimples and temporary scars are healing much faster, and my skin is looking brighter. It did make redness a little better, but it's nothing too special.
However it does dry out your skin (but it's also Winter), and unfortunately is doesn't seem to be preventing any new break outs. I will probably have to add benzoyl peroxide to the mix to prevent new stuff from coming up.
I think this would be helpful to someone with light, superficial blemishes, and oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 10:20:00 AM More reviews by HauteHarlequin

This is my go-to cleanser. I've been using twice a day for about three months now, and it has done wonders with controlling my breakouts & reducing the redness of my face. I love the smell, and it always leaves my skin feeling clean & fresh with out being dry. I've tried so many different products ranging from high end to drug store and I'm so happy that my favorite one costs me 7 bucks as opposed to 70. Awesome product!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by tubachuba

this has a pretty strong scent and did not do much in terms of reducing redness/acne. It was not as drying as other acne cleasners are, but still drying. This alone wont do much for acne unless its really mild.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2011 11:55:00 AM More reviews by aliceayres

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i cannot believe that i like this stuff. i have (historically) sensitive and easily dried out acne-prone skin. i think the only reason i can use this stuff without my skin drying is because i use CeRave cream as my moisturizer (super heavy duty stuff). all of that aside, my skin is noticeably smoother. i wasn't using anything with a BHA in it, and i thought it would be good since i was still getting stray breakouts and i was getting pretty frustrated and desperate. so yes: it works, it is drying but it doesn't break me out more and my skin looks better, PLUS it's cheap (at least in comparison to the other stuff i have used before). I've been using it for 2 months now and i'm pleasantly surprised. i wouldn't call it HG YET, since i haven't used a cleanser with salicylic acid in it in so long.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/30/2011 9:36:00 PM More reviews by ProductJunkieNut

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The first time I used it, I loved it. I could automatically feel it was working - it gave a cool tingling feeling, and it soothed a bit of the redness on my face. I was like wow, it works! However, I've still been using it for about a year or so, and lately it hasn't really done much- I don't know, maybe my skins just "gotten used" to it. Also, it seems to control the oil for a little while, but then it seems to just get more oily later on. It's not hugely noticeable or anything, but I feel like some of the ingredients should maybe be changed. Anyway, I'll probably continue to use this until I find something better.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2011 1:27:00 AM More reviews by pinkmagdusia

I used the whole bottle of this and that is not something I do often. I have many different face cleansers and all of them are either too drying, not effective, unpleasant in use, etc. This cleanser is very pleasant to use. It smells great. It didn't irritate my skin even though my skin is sensitive. I've even used this cleanser as a body wash when I had some breakouts on my chest and back.
I have yet to find a cleanser that can treat acne on it's own. The active ingredients are washed away with rinsing and the little that gets absorbed is probably not enough to treat severe acne. That goes for all cleansers though, not just this one. A proper treatment should be used.
All in all, I will repurchase this cleanser.