April 21, 2014 | 1227 users online

Sunscreen - BurnOut Eco-Sensitive Clean and Clear Sunscreen SPF 30

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by FlawedAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was thrilled to find an all physical SS that had such high Zno content (18.5%) that had no white cast. And it's true, it really has no white cast. I was really hoping to be able to wear this daily on my face under m/u wtihout looking greasy or having a white cast. While this worked great as sun protection, and does have no white cast, it really is not cosmetically elegant. First, after applying my face immediatly got a tight, dry feeling. Except it looked and was sticky as heck. Forget trying to put m/u over it! Way too sticky and drying to apply any makeup smoothly over. I used this up as a body sunscreen. I'm giving it 3 lippies b/c it is too expensive for a body sunscreen and not comfortable or attractive on the face.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2012 9:01:00 AM More reviews by liteenie

This sunscreen is highly recommended but I don't like it much, especially for my face.
Pros:
goes on clear
effective against sunburn
biodegradable
relatively affordable

Cons:
stays sticky all day

There are more pros than cons but the one con far outweighs all the pros. I try to use 1/4 teaspoon but that is just too much and it won't dry down the entire day. I've tried putting powder on it but it feels gross and my brushes and powder become gross. It is sticky on my body but I'll endure it for the excellent sun protection.

**update 1/2013**
I used this again the other day just for the hell of it and my experience with this was opposite of how it was when I first used it. This time, it was a little whitening (I'm NC25ish) and very drying. It wasn't sticky at all but I think I applied it differently this time. I took a little bit at a time and gently patted it onto my skin. This made the finish completely matte, but too matte. I didn't go all the way to 1/4 teaspoon because by the time I was like 75% there, it was way too white for my taste and I didn't want to make myself whiter. I put powder over it to get some color back and it helped color-wise, but still very dry looking.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by helpmerhonda1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this sunscreen since April & while not perfect, hands down it is the best daily sunscreen I've found. I'm trying to avoid the chemical nasty sunscreens for daily use. I work in the sun, all day at high altitude on a boat. Sunscreen is a must for me but I have true combo skin - breaks out from every sunscreen I've tried, gets oily in spots yet is dry in others & the dry air here doesn't help.

Burnout Clean & Clear hasn't broken me out, leaves just an ever, ever so slight white cast (whereas others are too white to work in) & has a great matte finish. It has been a learning curve using it...Too much around the hairline & eyebrows will leave them white. The initial finish is rubbery feeling. I put this on at home & wait until I'm at work to apply makeup - I can see how this wouldn't work for other jobs. All my makeup is powder (except mascara) & it applies evenly though I don't use much. I go for a casual, quick beachy look for the boat. I can't vouch for how this would work with a full face.

I haven't tested this in water though my husband said it ran in his eyes a little while surfing. It hasn't ran in mine from sweating while at work/paddling/hiking. Great stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2012 9:21:00 AM More reviews by 131lindo

I have been using this for a week and I have to write a erview. For starters, I have horrible melasma which I treat with HQ, facial peels, and the Obagi skin line. I have had excellent results and wanted a sunscreen to help me protect what I have acheived using Obagi. THIS IS THE ONE!!! I have previously used sunscreens/sunblocks with 100 SPF, but they did not keep my melasma from returning. I am very dilgent about wearing sunscreen everyday...even when it rains.This has a 18.6% zinc oxide, dries clear and matte and does not have a funky smell. I will be heading to the beach in a couple of weeks and am intersted to see how well this works. So far, this is my HG daily sunscreen!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by OPLALS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the best sunscreen I've used. It seems to have a mattifying effect on me - yay! - whereas most sunscreens worsen my oily parts. It's true that it's a bit "tacky", but I'm not putting it on before I'm expecting a lot of face caressing, you know, and if you're wearing liquid foundation on top that's negated. Actually it makes a nice canvas for makeup. I don't notice a white cast. It's true that I'm very pale to begin with but other sunscreens (Eucerin) did give me a white cast. It gets a 2 (low hazard) from the Cosmetics Database.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 9:41:00 PM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have medium/dark skin and most of the high zinc, mineral only sunscreens I've tried were too greasy, pasty, streaky and always left a very visible white cast. I bought Burnout based on online reviews and minimal ingredients list and so far, this is the best one. The product comes in a blue and white 3.4oz tube with 18.6% zinc oxide as its active uv filter. I ordered it direct from the manufacturer's website and paid $17.99 plus s/h (free shipping for orders over $25). The consistency is almost like a lotion that's non greasy, dries to a matte finish and has very good oil control for my oily skin. Using the proper amount of 1/4 teaspoon for my face, it leaves a very minimal, almost no white cast which is surprising given the high zinc oxide content and my tan skin. I have been using this sunscreen for 2 weeks now and so far it hasn't made me breakout. Using the BASF ppd calculator, I got a ppd of 9.4 for this product so not as high as Euro ss but good enough for incidental sun exposure. I live in Hawaii and my skin tans easily but I get no color when wearing this outdoors. I took off one lippy: 1/2 for the tacky, rubbery feel on my skin and another 1/2 for the water resistant claim. The tacky feel doesn't seem to go away even after the product dries but since I don't wear foundation it's really not a problem. It's matte enough that I don't even have to powder over it. Although it says "water resistant" on the tube, I find it comes off quite easily when my skin gets wet from perspiration or when I get rained on. If you're looking for better water resistance, try Burnout's "Ocean Tested" version that comes in the yellow/orange tube instead. I use that for going to the beach and the Eco Sensitive for my face and neck during non beach and exercise days.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This worked fine on my body but I ventured to try it on my face and for me = big mistake. Literally instant cysts on my chin. Not sure if this was due to an allergic reaction or just clogging agents. Granted, my chin area is very clog prone but I have found products that work for me just not a sunscreen. It did not clog me elsewhere on my face at least, but remained very sticky. Minimal whitecast. The search continues. UPDATE: I wrote this review the same day I wore this stuff after I washed it off...woke up with even more cysts on my chin and sides of my face. Didn't change anything else in my routine but this. Don't make the same mistake as me and patch test!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 6:20:00 PM More reviews by blueskies

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For most of this summer (after my disastrous adventure with Cliniderm sunscreen) this was my go-to sunscreen. I am on my second tube of this so I feel it is time for me to review it. What first drew me to this product: 100% mineral protection, minimal ingredients, and positive reviews on MUA. Overall I am satisfied with this ss and would buy again. It is effective at protecting from the sun and quite sweat proof except under extreme conditions (the only time I got some color despite wearing this was during a long hike under a brutal sun). It is gentle and I never got any irritation from it. It leaves a bit of a white cast, but nothing unacceptable for me (it might be a problem for someone with a darker complexion though). Finally, it is fairly matte. The one thing I don't like about it is that you constantly feel it on your skin, and it is quite sticky. Sticky as in.. if the wind blows some dust on your face it will stick to it! While I didn't at first, now I always wear some powder over this to neutralize the stickiness. In conclusion, this is not *the* perfect sunscreen, but given that such a thing probably doesn't exist, this might be the next best thing.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2011 8:57:00 PM More reviews by justbeinghonest

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Me: very fair, dry, mild Rosacea, dermatitis prone skin.

Unfortunately this sunscreen was an awful mess for me. It dried out my skin horribly, even with serum underneath. It also caused foundation (MUFE F&B) to cake and apply unevenly. I ended up tossing this after a week of trying to make it work.

The only pro is that it did not cause any additional redness/irritation.

I'll stick with my Elta.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really love this product. It's the best all-zinc oxide sunscreen that I've found. It provides good protection with 18.6% zinc oxide, but it has a nice texture and doesn't leave a white cast. It's so good that it almost makes a good facial sunscreen, but alas, it just doesn't quite work on my combination skin. I find it to be a bit drying while also being slightly sticky. It was fine to use in the winter (with a moisturizer underneath), but I can't begin to wear it during the hot, humid summer. But I will continue to use it as my favorite body sunscreen and on my face when using a water-resistant sunscreen is important (e.g. at the beach). And I love this as a very safe sunscreen for my infant son. But for my daily face sunscreen, I've returned to using Elta MD Clear SPF 46.

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 18.6%.

Other Ingredients: Deionized Water, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Vegetable Glycerin, Sorbitol, Imperata Cylindrica Root Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Lecithin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Citric Acid.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No