September 19, 2014 | 1987 users online

Treatments (Face) - De La Cruz 10% Sulfur Ointment

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 4:27:00 AM More reviews by Devildog4025

This stuff is a GOD SEND to ANYONE with skin problems. I struggled with acne as a teen.. then again in my mid to late twenties... and finally, I was diagnosed with rosacea. If you don't know anything about this skin diesase... please research it. Mind is mild.. I didn't have ruddy, red skin. But my skin was VERY easily irritated.. and although the triggers are different for each person, mine is the sun and caffiene. They make my skin go very hay-wire. And when I would get a break out, they would be the deep, painful, cysts that would turn so red, that they were almost purple. And they NEVER came to a head; the kind I had to go to my dermatologists office and have injected with cortisone shots (painful, time consuming and expensive, not to mention the at least 6 hour down time). I was getting them almost once a month for awhile. I am now taking an antibiotic, which definitley helps a TON... but this product has done wonders for my skin. I can usually spot a 'spot' that will later turn into a big mess just as I described (seriously, like 4 months in advance). It can be VERY drying, so I use Corium 21 moisturizer to help that problem. This product draws my cysts to the surface... I don't want to say too much more and jinx myself, so I will just say that for the price tag (purchased on drugstore.com for $6) it is WELL worth the price. My only complaint is that it seems oily, but it DOES NOT clog pores.. but I can't really sleep with it on because of that, because then it stains my pillow. Even still... one of the better products I have ever stumbled upon in my life. I owe De La Cruz everything for inventing this awesome stuff. This combined with regular photofacials, minocycline, staying out of the sun and watching my diet has done a complete overhaul on my skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by SB213

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I still can't believe how well this product works. It's amazing. I purchased it after reading several reviews and seeing some videos on youtube about it. I have very oily skin with moderate, stubborn acne that doesn't respond to ANYTHING. I've been on Accutane twice and everything leading up to that (including antibiotics, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, proactive, I mean EVERYTHING). My skin is very oily so it can handle having the ointment left on overnight as a spot treatment. Blemishes fade significantly overnight, and I've also noticed an improvement in scarring. It doesn't smell very good, but that's a small price to pay for the benefits it provides. I've only been using it for about 2 weeks, but so far so good. Tip: Don't use it with other sulfur-based products because it causes your skin to become WAY too dry (flaking, peeling).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by KaiserMimiVII

It's been a long time since I wrote a review on MUA but I really wanted to share how well this product worked for me.

I've had acne for a long time, since I was 9. I've tried drugstore products with really little success, as well as prescribed Differin and Retin-A. I've also tried Avene Triacneal which was really successful at first, but the effects eventually dwindled over time. By far the most effective treatment were glycolic acid peels but I now get a lot of sun exposure and the skin thinning effects made me cautious about sun damage. I stumbled upon De La Cruz 10% Sulfur Ointment on MUA and it's a complete game changer.

I have mostly hormone related acne on my face and on my back. I also have pores that get plugged (not clogged, just plugged with little bits of sebum and dead skin) that look large. The DLC ointment has been miraculous! It helps so much with the occasional cystic acne, bringing it to a "head" in almost no time at all so that it isn't painful and lingering as they previously have been. It also (for a lack of a better word) dissolves pimples once they've reached the head stage. It has completely changed the way my pores look. They look so much smaller now that the ointment has eliminated all the gunk that accumulates inside.

I use it as directed, as spot treatment (and thinly smeared on my nose) but I up the time to 30 min instead of 10 on my back. I've had no issues at all with redness or dryness, something I'm so surprised to find because in my experience, fast acting acne treatments tend to do both. I don't use it overnight (as I am really not keen to use something this potent unsupervised) but if I were to have an emergency pimple say, the day before my wedding I would definitely use the tiniest bit possible and put a spot bandaid over it.

I've found a way to eliminate the smell as well! Previously I was only using this at night because after washing it off with a Clarisonic and followed by a micellar lotion in the morning, the smell was mostly gone. Still, a slight fart face smell lingers. However, I've found that if I wash with my Clarisonic, then follow it up with a oil cleansing massage, the odor is undetectable (be sure to also use the Clarisonic on your hands! I didn't realize at first that the smell wasn't on my face but my fingers!) once the oil is rinsed off. If you don't have an oil cleanser, try massaging olive oil followed by a cleanser that will remove the oil completely.

I've recommended it to my friends, especially others who have stubborn cysts that won't rise to the surface. Hopefully this works just as well for others!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by nirvana9

about me - cystic acne prone skin.
i bought this on recommendation from the skin care board. it wasn't too expensive and i was desperate to try something effective. i've tried icing and advil-ing to stop new cysts, which did nothing for me. i've also used other topicals eg BP, differin which weren't doing the trick for me. this ointment cleared up deep cysts on my cheeks i had for months and now prevents new ones from forming. if i don't monitor enough and a cyst forms before i can paste this on, using it really helps heal and dry it up much quicker than on its own. be careful not to leave on for very long - start with just 10 minutes in the beginning - as this is very drying on skin. also do not slather everywhere like a mask or in areas where you don't have pimples because you'll do more damage than good. i will repurchase forever or unless this stops working ( which i pray it wont)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2013 2:08:00 PM More reviews by ironwoman01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product due to all the great reviews and recs from skincare board, but this product did nothing for me. I have normal-combo skin with hormonal acne and clogged pores. I get an occasional pimple or zit a few times a month. I've used the sulfur on these occasional pimples & zits and it literally sits there and does not make it better or worse. I've left it overnight and still nothing. If I use it for a few nights consecutively, it dries out the skin, but the pimple or zit will still be there as a bump. Maybe my skin doesn't react to sulfur.

Topicals don't do anything for hormonal acne, so I am not writing anything on how this product treats such acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 6:22:00 PM More reviews by nillionaire

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Works amazingly well for those terrible deep pimples that refuse to surface or go away on their own. I put this on my face for just five minutes and see an improvement in terms of inflammation and severity of acne when I wash it off. Very effective when used as a back and shoulder mask. Can be drying when left on too long, so be mindful and start slowly. Can't beat the price, about $5 for a jar.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2013 12:09:00 AM More reviews by blondebum

I searched everywhere for this product and finally found it at a local Walmart. I was very skeptical when first using this because the packaging seemed foreign to me and the color/texture was different from anything else I used. I ended up using it for only a few weeks because I did not see a difference in my skin. When applying the product, the formula seemed a little bit thick and pasty like (similar to a glue). I was afraid of it clogging my pores and eventually stopped routinely using it. Good luck to those who like it tho, I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it- especially because it has received really great reviews.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by blondiegoodlooks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not a miracle worker, but definitely "no worse" than any other MUA top-rated blemish treatment I've tried (including Persagel 10%, Clean & Clear Popped Pimple, Bye Bye Blemish, Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion, and Origins Spot Remover).

Origins and Persagel, for example, work, but they also redden and dry your skin, thus often neutralizing whatever positive cosmetic results they offer. I feel that De La Cruz works with few adverse effects.

It's very difficult to find, including in NYC and Miami (where there is no shortage of ethnic markets), so I would recommend ordering it online.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2013 12:18:00 PM More reviews by prettypolly40

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

***Why I want the product?***
I have searched for a lot of spot treatments over the years to see which actually does the job it is meant to, does not cost the earth and something that does not irritate my skin.
Previous I have had treatments that people raved about but did nothing for me or the treatments irritated my skin that much I was left in a red blotchy mess.

I have heard of sulfur treatments before in especially in soaps. While browsing a makeup forum everyone there recommended a product called Sulfur Ointment 10%, which I had never heard of before but it seems everyone recommended this treatment and apparently it was cheap, well for them.

***About the product***
The reason I had not heard of this brand of treatment before is because it is an American brand and unfortunately it can be difficult for you to get your hands on it in the UK so have to get it shipped in, in the end I got it from a seller on eBay.

De La Cruz say their product helps to dry out spots and blackheads, helps to keep new spots from forming and oil free. There are no preservatives, artificial colours or fragrances either in this product.

***About sulfur***
Sulfur is actually one of the oldest acne treatments around today, in ancient times sulfur was used to treat arrange of skin conditions such as dermatitis, dandruff and rosacea.

When applied topically, sulfur causes the skin to dry and peel. Despite how this sounds, it is actually a good thing for your skin if you have acne. Sulfur helps reduce skin oiliness, and prevents pore blockages from forming.

***What are the ingredients in this product?***
Sulfur, USP - 10% Acne Medication
Inactive Ingredients
Polyethylene Glycol

~ Sulfur is apparently said to be an antistatic on some reports and
~ Polyethylene Glycol is used as a solvent

***What does the product look and feel like?***
Unscrewing the white lid I am greeted with shiny yellow substance that looks like a gel. As it is sulfur the smell is not pleasant for some people and this can put others off alone.

Dipping my finger into the ointment it does feel like a sticky, gel that is almost waxy. Personally I do not think the smell is too strong so it doesn't bother me. Applying the ointment to a spot is easy; simply spread a thin layer on the affected area and leave.

***How do you use it?***
Instructions say cleanse the skin before use and cover the affected area with a light layer of sulfur, leave on for 10 minutes and remove, simple.

***Did I notice a difference?***
I have to be honest and say this product is not a miracle worker, it does not work as fast as I would like it to (overnight) but it does do the job well of drying the spot so it can heal and clear quicker.

If you have sensitive skin like me I would recommended you following the instructions to the letter and use it once or twice a day for 10 minutes at a time as 10% sulfur as actually quite strong, where as soaps are usually around the 3%/5% mark. However, for me I do not always follow the instructions especially if I have troublesome spots that are getting me down. I had some spots on my upper cheek area that did not want to move for love or money, I had these for a week or so, so I took to 10% sulfur for a few days and instead of the usual 10 minutes I left it on for 20 minutes a time, twice a day. Third day that area was beginning to get dry but very red to the point where it hurt, although the spots cleared I was now left with a very red patch where the sulfur touched my skin. This lasted for around two days to heal. I have since found more sensitive areas of my face such as my cheeks I can use once a day for 10 minutes and other areas I can leave on 5 minutes more extra if needed before I have to wash off.

When I did use it properly I found it to work well, not the miracle worker I hoped for but quicker than previous spot treatments I used in the past and those I left on all night and day sometimes.

I have applied it to my nose to see if it makes a difference on blackheads and unfortunately for me this product does nothing, I find it works better on spots. I use my trusted salicylic acid for that job.

***Price and availability***
I found a seller on eBay at a buy it now price of $11.99 which works out as 7.42 and postage of $9.99, 6.18. I know I said it was cheap but for how long this treatment lasts it actually works out to be a very cheap product.
There are also other sites you can purchase from that may be cheaper.

***What I think about it/do I like it?***
For how much product you get, how much you need to apply, how long the pot lasts I think it is actually very well worth the money and more importantly how well it works is worth the shipping costs. I am half way down my pot and I would say I have had it for eight months, eventually when I run out I will be repurchasing.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 8:04:00 AM More reviews by beautiijunkii

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG my miracle ointment!!! I love this stuff!! I've been using it for about a week and it has worked wonders!!! I've even been using it on a cystic pustule and it has shrunk substantially. It dries up active acne remarkably fast. I kept seeing this at Walmart but I never got it because I just didn't know how effective it would be but for $3 and some change I'm glad I went ahead and took the chance. The only con is the smell, but that doesn't really bother me because I put it on at night and I'm the only one that has to deal with it. I will repurchase this stuff for life!!!