BeneFit Cosmetics Velvet Eyeshadow Where There's Smoke

4.5

Ingredients: Talc, Mica, Dimethicone, Silica, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol [ /-: Titanium Dioxyde (CI 77891), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Aluminum Hydroxide (CI 77002), Ferric Ferrocyanode (CI 77510), Carmine (CI 75470), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI77288), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090)].

on 5/29/2010 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This color is very similar to MAC's silver Ring. Its pretty straightforward, a lovely smoky gray with a hint of taupe. Just like most of the benefit velvet shadows, it has a beautiful sheen to it that makes it glimmer without any shimmer or glitter at all. The amount of product you get is amazing, and the pigmentation is smooth and buttery. If you like this shadow, you'll love the whole benefit velvet line, all of them are just as great as this one.

on 2/13/2010 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Such an elegant color. I like to use it all over the lid and blended out with a light brown color for an elegant day time appropriate look. Definitely a keeper and love the packaging. The texture and blend-ability is great as well.

on 2/11/2010 11:30:00 PM

this is a great e/s. when i swatched it in the store it reminded me a lot of sweet sienna pigment from mac which is my all time favorite! a lot of people are calling this taupe and i guess in some ways it is but i find it more of a pewter color. it is amazing paired with skinny jeans creaseless cream e/s by benefit which i also find to be a pewter color. but whatever color it is it is amazing for smokey eyes and it is good when used to darken the outer corner. i love it! this will more than likely become one of my HG eyeshadows! if it is ever discontinued i will buy back ups!

on 2/2/2010 8:58:00 PM

I absolutely *love* this eyeshadow. I'm so surprised that there aren't many reviews for this and surprised it's not a 5/5 rating. I would give this a 10 if I could! This is my HG eyeshadow for my smokey looks. It is so lovely on the outer V and on many different skintones. The smoothness, blendability, and pigmentation is perfect. Since I'm asian & have those asian eyes, I find it a bit difficult to use a straight on black (I can, but just a light dab). If I use a black, I can only use it to darken other colors on the outer corner and have to be careful to apply lightly. However, with this taupe it never looks 'too much'. This taupe is so, so beautiful and gives my asian eyes the best smokey eyed look- EVER. I've tried this color on many different people and the outcome was amazing each time. I agree with the reviewer below that this is in the MAC Smoke & Diamonds and Stila Diamond Lil family - not exact dupes, but very similar and equally beautiful. I highly recommend this shade! I might even add a photo soon (:

on 12/22/2009 11:35:00 AM

I got this shadow because of hype on the boards as great Taupe. First of all, the texture is very soft and buttery, huge plus but color, well lets talk about this. Taupe, hardly. How about sage green, gray green, any combo you can think of of green but not taupe. Or at least not by my definition or on my skin tone (NC30) hazel/brown eyes.
Again, lovely shadow but doesn't qualify as Taupe.

on 9/28/2009 12:35:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This shadow is awesome- it is the perfect dark taupe shade for me. I use it to line around my eyes and smoke them out a little, and it looks sexy without being over the top. The texture is buttery soft and blendable and the pigmentation is great. My skin is light and I can blend this out so it's not too dark, but I think it would show up on darker skin too. Even the packaging is nice- I think the white box with the little birds is cute without being annoying. The price is somewhat high, but I would put the quality up there with much more expensive brands. I would suggest this to eyeshadow to just about everyone, and if I ever run out I would definitely purchase again.

on 9/2/2009 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I tried this shadow on in Sephora on my lunch break. 3 hours later, you could barely tell I was wearing eyeshadow! It had almost completely worn-off. That said, the color is beautiful and very buildable. Perhaps if used with an eye shadow base, it would have more staying power. For that kind of money, I'd expect it to last much longer.

on 7/30/2009 1:01:00 PM

In my opinion, this is in the same category as Stila Diamond lil and MAC S&D (with maybe a teeny bit more brown). It shows up a tad darker on my lids. The packaging is nice to look at and its sturdy. The texture is great and its very pigmented but I feel it looks a bit dull on the skin after a few hours or so even with a base. I still think this will be a well loved shade.

on 7/23/2009 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is now one of my very favorite taupes, even a HG, and that is after trying a LOT of taupes. Here's what I love about it -- lovely medium taupe with both gray and brown undertones so it doesn't pull too much one way or the other. Great pigmentation and very buildable -- I can do a light wash that looks beautiful or use it for a smoky eye. The amount of shimmer is medium and very fine, so it's just right, not sparkly but with a gorgeous sheen. It is pigmented enough that I can even wear it without primer, or I can intensify it with primer or mixing medium. The texture is so smooth and blendable. I can't recommend it highly enough.

on 7/15/2009 9:33:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is NOT your Mama's taupe, ladies. It is not a soft, shy little taupe demurely batting it's lashes at you. Nooooo, this is a full on, stare you straight in the eye, seduce you across a crowded room taupe! This is one of the new velvet shadows from Benefit and it is AWESOME!!! This shadow is very pigmented and silky and comes in Benefit's signature "dove" designed square case. These run $18 apiece, but are well worth it for the quality of the product. I had to literally sheer this down for daytime use as it is a very deep taupe deserving of it's "Where's There's Smoke" name. However, if I was using it for nighttime, I would pair it with a smudged black liner, full lashes and lots of this shadow. If you do this, you better be prepared for business ladies. I will definitely repurchase!
Here's what Benefit says about their product:
Once these stunning velvet eyeshadows touch your lids, you won't believe your eyes! This formula's texture is so soft and velvety, it sweeps over the eyelids in one smooth motion. The rich shades are loaded with gorgeous color that look beautiful alone or layered over the creaseless cream shadow and liners. Slide the adorable little square compact into your pocket for a glamorous eye look wherever you go!

Top Rated BeneFit Cosmetics Products