October 20, 2014 | 1811 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - tria - Laser Hair Removal System

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by ToSirWithLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm sitting on my bed at 3AM, waiting for my lidocaine cream to kick in so I can Tria my underarms, and I figured this would be a good time to write a review. This is a somewhat premature review at this point in time because I've only been zapping for 3 months, but I'll update as I continue to use this device.

I bought this in April from Sephora during their Chic Week (15% discount and it bumped me up to VIB status for the rest of the year). I've tried to be good about using it every week. I bought it primarily for upper lip and underarms. I'm fair with dark hair.

First of all, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this hurts like a mofo. I believe I have a high pain threshold, and this really does sting. I use the highest setting because I don't want to waste my time for a smidge less pain. It doesn't feel like a rubber band snap. It literally feels like a pinpoint laser is penetrating your flesh and blasting cells within your body, which is exactly what it's doing. Imagine what that must feel like, and it's a little worse than that.

Now don't get me wrong. It's by no means unbearable and the pain does NOT linger. Once you've zapped, there's no more pain. You're good to go. It hurts enough that I kind of dread having to use it, but not enough to deter me from getting it out every week, if that makes sense. I use lidocaine creams to help numb the skin, and sometimes they help quite a bit. Any drugstore will have them. The areas where I use this are notoriously sensitive, too, so I imagine if I used this mostly on my legs it would be so bad. Underarms and upper lip though... Ouch.

The good news is that it is working. I have a lot of dark hair under my arms, and it is already growing in noticeably less dense. The perma-shadow under my arms from the dark hairs under the skin's surface is getting lighter. This is exciting! It also seems to be doing a good job on the corners of my upper lip where the hairs tend to be coarser and darker, although the finer, lighter hairs are not responding quite as well yet.

I find the device itself pretty noisy, because it beeps on every zap and has a powerful fan to keep the laser cool. The fan kicks in almost immediately and stays on for most of the zapping. This is not something you could sneak around and use without piquing others' curiosity, if you don't live alone. The fan also comes on when the unit is charging, which is weird.

The device holds a charge pretty well so far, so no complaints there. It's comfortable to hold and feels like it's good quality. I wanted green but they only had pink, so I deducted one star for that (just kidding).

As others have pointed out, the treatment area of the device is very very small. Bigger would be nice so as to get the sessions over with quicker, but I'll take what I can get.

All in all, this was an expensive purchase that I do not regret.

EDIT 3/1/14: shortly after I wrote this review, I put the Tria in the closet and haven't pulled it out since. That's partly due to laziness, and partly due to being sick of anticipating the pain. Thankfully, the treated areas that took, seem to still be hairless. I need to get it back out and do my under arms some more, since they never got to the hairless stage, just the "thinned out" stage. But my toes, unibrow, and coarse upper lip hair are still gone, which is pretty cool. (Tria says not to use it near your eyes, so that eyebrow business... you didn't hear that from me)

AllDayChemist, which is an overseas pharmacy a lot of people use to buy Retin A and Latisse, sells a 10% lidocaine spray that I plan to order, in hopes that it will make the underarms less excruciating.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 3:37:00 AM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought my TRIA laser directly off the manufacturer's website and it cost ~$450 CAD. I really wanted to lessen the hair on my legs and didn't want to have to go make routine visits to a spa to do it. I was trying to decide between TRIA versus Silk'n SensEpil (the two best selling at-home laser hair removal systems at the time) but decided ultimately on the TRIA based on one major factor: the TRIA doesn't rely on consumables whereas the Silk'n SensEpil system utilizes lamp cartridges that must be replaced (i.e. repurchased for $50) after some number of flashes.
I've been using my TRIA for approx 2 years. For 1 year, I was zapping my legs at full -strength (level 5) every 2-3 weeks. Then, the following year, I was zapping my legs at full strength every 1.5 to 2 months. A couple months ago, I spent almost 4 weeks abroad for vacation and not once did I need to shave my legs (save for a couple hairs). I can now go weeks without shaving if I pay no attention to a couple hairs, when previously, I had to shave my legs every 1-2 days. When using laser hair removal, patience is a virtue; it took a long time for me to notice any progress. My legs still aren't completely hairless, but at least, if I forget to shave them, I'm not completely mortified.
The skin tone of my legs are, I'd say, NC40 and my hairs are black; the best candidates for laser hair removal are pale with black hair. If you are tanned, you can expect to feel more pain, but at NC40, I could tolerate the highest strength just fine and never did I experience any "burns" or redness.
The TRIA itself is very user-friendly. Once you unlock the device and select the strength (levels 1-5), you just move it along your treatment area -you don't even have to push a button every time, it just knows that you've moved to the next area and flashes instantly. It comes with a wall charger and is wireless. Use it while you're watching TV or talking on the phone -it's that easy.
The only thing some people may not like about the TRIA is the requirement to shave your legs immediately before using it (or else the laser hurts more), and you can't wax your legs because the laser targets the hair roots (if you wax, there is no root for the laser to zap).
Overall, I definitely find the TRIA system to be the most economical solution to permanent hair removal. Easy to use. Convenient, private, at-home use. And no need to repurchase lamp cartridges.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by sandrag

Purchased this as a bit of a splurge. I think it was around 350.00 or a bit more. They were having a special and I decided to purchase off the Tria website just in case I had any issues.

I think this is a great product and worth every cent. It really works and I am amazed at the results. I havn't had any issues with the battery or operating issues. It seems to hold the charge for quite a while.
I would recommend. Not cheap but worth the splurge !! Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by JodiLR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased the Tria 4X several weeks ago and I LOVE it. I have been using it on my upper lip, legs and bikini area and after one use in some areas the hair has not returned. I would highly recommend as you have the option to return the product if you are not satisfied with the results. I bought from Home Shopping Channel and they are great with returns if you are unhappy with product. I checked out the actual Tria site and they have similar guarantee. The cost to purchase the product was a little more than a laser removal treatment so I personally feel it was well worth it.

Also, I would recommend starting at level three on more sensitive areas as it is somewhat painful at the highest level - five!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2013 11:48:00 AM More reviews by Colorlicious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using it for 6 months on my chin, I don't have any hormonal disorder, I'm pale and the hairs are dark brown. Here's my opinion:
1. At the beginning it seemed to work wonders: 2 weeks after I used it for the first time, all the hair fell and I thought it was a good investment
2. In the first 3 months you have to use it every 15 days; after that, only once a month. And here's where it got tricky: using it once a month isn't enough. The hair grows back and you keep shaving it and wating for the month to pass. After the whole month waiting, I had the same amout of hair I had when I began using it... So it worked as long as I used it every 15 days because the hair didn't get to grow that much and it seemed less
3. It hurts. A lot! Especially on the face area. I used an anesthesic cream and it didn't work well. I usually put an ice-cube and rub it on my face until it freezes and then I don't feel the pain so much.
4. I had my bikini line (brazilian style, so imagine it hurt) done by a doctor at a clinic. It took about a year to get rid of it all, but it's been more than 2 years since and I have no hair in that area at all. The cost: nowadays, it's 3 sessions for 100 euros; within 6 sessions I was already hairless. The Tria costs 350 euros. It's true you have it and you can use it more than 6 times. But I guarantee you don't get the same result after the 6th, 7th nor 8th time...
5. The small tip the Tria has is the actual problem. It takes a while until you go across the whole patch of skin and you still miss some hairs since you don't see where it is because you're shaved. Don't let the hair grow in order to control its location, though.. It hurts and burns like hell! I have a tiny burn scar on my face because of it and it seems it's staying...
6. Start to use it on other areas only after you finished the whole treatment for the first one. Like after a year or more. It has limited charges and you may end up with half of the body hairy and the other one silky.

Conclusion: buy it ONLY if you need it for a small portion of your body. Be very patient. Don't expect professional results; the power it has is much lower than the ones clinics use (it's made for home use, with no medical surveillance), therefore, the process is longer and pretty painful.

I will give it 3 lipsticks because it's the only laser (not IPL) product for domestic use. It has to do something, but maybe it just takes more time... so I will keep using it and wait for the final result. I'm not sure how this will end up, but I'll keep updating you. At the moment, I see no big changes and I'm pretty disappointed.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2013 4:22:00 PM More reviews by vargaf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

They sent me a defective unit. The beeping that indicates that the laser has turned on and off was not working properly. I was exposed to an excessive amount of laser radiation because of this defect. It's taking over 60 business days to get my money back and still nothing. It's been 6 months. Don't buy this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Angela99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This lamp did not work for me. I have more hair than before, unbelievable! Some are thicker than before. I called Tria Laser and I told them I did not see any reduction in hair growth, they told me to keep on using the lamp, So I followed their advice. Then I realized after month 9 or 10 that my hair was getting thicker and I was having more follicles. So, I stopped using it. I will not recommend this product to anybody. I am very disappointed with this company.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I gave this what imo is a good shot. I have pale skin, dark hair, used it just as the directions said, and I still don't think I see results. I'll use it a little longer and update if I see ANY difference in my body hair. As of right now, I say do NOT waste your hard-earned money folks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2012 5:16:00 PM More reviews by miele2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My comments reflect those of previous reviewers. The Tria is a miracle. However, just like "dieting and exercise" are miracles to losing weight, you have to work at it to get the results you want. The treatment tip is tiny, and especially when you are first starting out with lots of dark hair, it seems to take forever and is painful. When I was doing it originally, some of the "zaps" brought tears in my eyes. Do not get discouraged! My best suggestion it to just do 10 minutes a a day, at the highest setting, (hurts more, but, you will see results faster.) My bikini line is hair free for over a YEAR now. Now, I never have to do emergency wax/shaving before visiting my fiance out of state. It's the best money I've ever spent on a beauty item - and the most lasting effects.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 12:52:00 PM More reviews by mladkins

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Several years ago I had a series of 6 professional laser treatments to my bikini line and loved the results. It brought the end of razor bumps and unsightly ingrown hairs. I was so thrilled the first time I took a vacation that required a bathing suit but no shaving! I bought the Tria to use on my armpits and to maintain my bikini. The thing is, you have to be patient! The strength is nowhere near the salon lasers so it will take longer to see results. Oh and btw, the professional lasers HURT LIKE A MOTHER!

My results: I've been using this off and on for a few years. My results could be better if I stuck with a schedule and didn't get lazy. I can go several days without shaving my armpits and even then there are not many hairs to shave away.

Cost: The cost of my office laser treatments was $700 total. And that was for one area! The cost of the Tria has come down since it was first released and now runs $395. For that you can treat as many areas as you want in the privacy of your own home. I'm trying to talk my husband into letting me use it on the back of his neck because he hates shaving his hairline.

Again please note - this is going to take commitment! You are not likely to see huge results before your warranty period is up. But if you're willing to sacrifice more immediate results you will be rewarded with more money in your wallet, less discomfort during your treatment and no limitations on how many areas you can treat.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No