December 21, 2014 | 1653 users online

Gels/Soaps - Nubian Heritage - African Black Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2014 6:25:00 AM More reviews by Myrahotchkiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not the "real thing" but love it anyway... but only for my body, as it is very drying for the face even though my skin is extremely oily.

It does balance oil, but the downside is that it leaves my face EXTREMELY dry after a few days of using it.

But enough about my face, let's talk about my body as this is what I use it for. This product is super. It reduces razor bumps along my bikini line (maybe be careful using this product...there though if you catch my drift) and minor blemishes on my back or shoulders. It lathers beautifully and smells great. As it wears down it has the potential to get a bit scratchy because of the oatmeal (I think) bits sticking out, so watch out.

Over all it's a bar of soap... I just love what it's made from! It isn't quite the real thing in terms of traditional ABS ingredients but I wouldn't switch it for the world.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2014 8:44:00 PM More reviews by harrisonfjord

I purchased this from a local health food store because I've been suffering from embarrassing acne on my back. I have been using it consistently for going six weeks now and while I have noticed that I haven't had many new breakouts, it isn't really clearing up my skin either. After giving this soap plenty of time to try and see how it worked out for me, I'll be switching my regimen to something stronger with more ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am in love! This soap is perfect for balancing out your skin. I don't have acne but I have been using natural soaps for years to keep me from developing over oily or dry skin on my face. I use this on my body too and although it is winter, I rarely moisturize. I highly recommend and you can get it dirt cheap at iherb.com. At a fancy store I paid twice as much..it is worth it but c'mon you can get two for the price of one at the fancy stores..

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2013 7:52:00 AM More reviews by Volchitsa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

It smells too sweet to me. Like an overly sweet candy or something. It's a shame, but I can't get myself to repurchase because of the scent (I like earthy or herbal smells). The smell didn't seem to linger though, and other than that, it's a good product. It left my skin feeling moisturized and clean.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2013 6:36:00 AM More reviews by Yogal28

I like to read reviews that are usually on the negative side first now because most of the times the items that i brought, which i based on the positive reviews, seldom applies much on me, maybe one or two that someone mention in their reviews but the negative one, most of the times, i experience what they did. Ironic thing is sometimes we had different skin types but still had the same outcomes.

Alright to the negative: I don't think this soap clear up acne prone skin types. At least not on me and it also brings out new acne and whiteheads. On my chin and especially on my cheek area which i didn't have acne nor whiteheads before using this product. It didn't even out my skin either.

Positive: The nice smell which is not overpowering unlike their lotion which i had also brought based on good reviews, it work just the same as their soap but with overwhelming scent. The soap isn't drying at all on my face, i felt my face is smooth but it doesn't make my acne prone skin better but worse. This two points is the two lippies i give for.

Will finish using this on my body and never will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I feel like this review might be a bit too early but I do think that this had an effect on my breakouts. I had gotten frustrated with a few large zits that had been around for 2+ weeks without coming to a head, getting smaller, etc. I had been using harsh blemish cleansers but they were making me sneeze. I bought this bar as a last ditch effort to make my damn zit go away. And you know what? It seems to be working! The smaller ones have disappeared & the large persistent one started to shrink the first day I used the soap. It's been 4 days & while it's not gone yet, it has gotten noticeably smaller.
One thing I don't like is that my skin feels squeaky clean after rinsing the soap off my face. I haven't noticed any additional dryness but it does feel pretty weird

Update: I used this in the shower because I had some breakouts on my body. Not only are my breakouts drying out but my overall body skin is insanely soft. I guess I need another bar to keep in my shower. The scent certainly is nice enough to enjoy while lathering up.
And no, my previous review wasn't too early. This stuff works great on blemishes. Super fast results.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by 161934

I have been using this soap for 4 weeks and it is amazing! The scent is so yummy and this helped clear my skin along with Atralin gel:) Honestly has not left my skin dry because of the Shea butter component. I will use this soap as a face wash for the rest of my life! Holy Grail product!!! Bought this on amazon as a 5 pack set for about 18 bucks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by hooplehead

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm still testing this out, but I am liking it thus far. I only use it once a day because it reacts too strongly with my sensitive skin if used twice daily. But used once a day it seems to be working well with a minimum of irritation. It feels like I'm getting my skin really clean, but not stripping my skin. I use this, Caudalie Beauty Elixir and a moisturizer at night and it has really cleared up and smoothed out my skin. I am really pleased with the results, especially at such a low price. Usually I spend a lot more for skincare that gives much less impressive results. ETA-I use this only when my breakouts get bad because it usually causes a reaction in my skin. It does seem to be clearing up the breakouts, but seems to be a bit too harsh on my skin to use as more than a spot treatment.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 8:09:00 PM More reviews by ciaobellakate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this soap! I could never use generic soap due to fragrance sensitivities and breakouts, so I was nervous about trying this but at the same time trusted my fellow reviewers enough to give this a go. Turns out this has become a HG product of mine. I cut the bar in half and use half for showering and half for cleansing my acne-prone face. It leaves my skin feeling silky smooth and calm without any residues. Doesn't break me out, in fact I honestly believe this has improved my acne. Lathers excellently. I even use it to clean my MAC brushes! Very affordable product with great longevity, I will often buy multiple bars to stock up which lasts me many months.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 2:45:00 PM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My older sister recommended me this soap for acne because it worked for her but it dried out my skin and left a stripped, crackly feeling all over my face. This is the worst soap from the Nubian Heritage line.