April 17, 2014 | 1783 users online

Gels/Soaps - Nubian Heritage - African Black Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 2:45:00 PM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My older sister recommended me this soap for acne because it worked for her but it dried out my skin and left a stripped, crackly feeling all over my face. This is the worst soap from the Nubian Heritage line.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2013 3:35:00 AM More reviews by Cheezeball

So.

I bought this soap for a little over $3 from an online retailer. Had heard good things about it and I'd been fighting some acne that spontaneously appeared on my face about six months ago and had yet to calm down (gone from basically perfect skin to 5-6 large sore red pimples on my cheeks at all times). I stopped using all my products to find out if it was anything causing an allergic reaction, etc -- definitely not.

Not expecting much, I rubbed this soap bar in my palms and applied the foam liberally to my face, rubbing it all over and washing it off. I followed it with some Queen Helene mask on the acne areas (the green one! Also $3 or so.)

In 6 days my skin has cleared up like NOTHING else has. I've spent over $150+ on products from all kinds of retailers, from low end supermarket stuff to Estee Lauder, and nothing's cleared it up. Until this.

It was also definitely not a sudden diet change as I eat pretty much the same thing everyday. I also do not pick my acne, and exercise/water intake is all the same.

The only difference I can contribute the miraculous change in my skin's appearance to, is this black soap. It's incredible. My skin felt clean but most importantly (for me) my pimples dried right up. The redness and irritation went away.

If you have acne I'd highly recommend picking up this soap and at the very least giving it a try. It costs next to nothing online if you look around for a while.

The smell is a bit unusual - I didn't like it at first - I thought it smelt a bit like a black jellybean. But I read somewhere someone mentioned the scent as 'banana flavouring and suntan lotion', and that's prettymuch accurate. It's not unpleasant, and in fact I kinda like it, now.

Also, you don't need a lot to get a decent amount of foam so it'll probably last at least 6 months, which is pretty impressive for a large bar of soap.

My routine:
- wash face with black soap in the morning when waking up
- Queen Helene mask on troubled acne areas (cheeks)
- Clearasil 50+SPF moisturising lotion on face APART from acne areas

Night:
- makeup remover
- Estee Lauder Perfectionist serum around the eyes
(I know it's kinda gross to not wash at night but I'm trying really hard to not 'overwork' my skin with too many products/washes as that seems to make the acne worse).

Sorry, my review has become super long but just wanted to make clear the way I use black soap and what for. For me it's been the only fix out of the 7-10 products I've tried to fix an adult acne breakout! (I'm 21.)

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 8:56:00 PM More reviews by maggiecuda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

100% the best cleanser for my combination, sensitive, acne-prone (hormonal, ugh) skin. My skin has completely cleared up in the past 18 months+ of using this product, and I can't be happier. I've purchased and used several bars, which I cut into slices to prolong in the shower. It leaves my skin calm and balanced... beautiful! It smells wonderful, lathers well, and washes cleanly with no residue, and therefore no itchies.

I don't need a moisturizer after using this product, with the exception of a rosewater-glycerine mist (heritage) that I use after showering at night, and in the morning after splashing my face with cool water. I am, however, so happy with this soap that I've placed an order for nubian's black soap day moisturizer to try during the drier winter months.

I'm so glad I got turned onto african black soap! I have purchased shea moisture's african black soap body wash, lotion, shampoo, and conditioner because if it works so well on my face, I'd like to spread the love to the rest of my body :]

ENJOY! My mom now uses this soap bar and her skin is evening out, too!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2013 12:21:00 AM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really like this soap and use it as body wash during the winter months. It smells divine and leaves the skin soft, moisturized and healthy looking. You can't beat the lather for shaving your legs and the shea butter keeps your skin extra supple. If you find this is too harsh on your face, consider trying it as a body wash and you may have better results.

The only downside to using this in the shower is that it can melt really easily (best to keep it in the driest place in your shower or outside of it) and it leaves some intense, dark soap scum. The soap scum (and any other stains in your shower really) can be taken off with some sulfate containing shampoo and baking soda though, works better than any other cleaner on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by sabrinabruning

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

You alright, Nubian Heritage soap.

I prefer buying this to either cheap market soaps, fancier commercial soaps (Doe, Olay, etc.), or pricy soaps which accomplish the same thing ($$$ clay bars, Lush brand soaps).

It's a great alternative to spending money on acquiring gentle daily face wash as well. Why bother? Just use the bar.

I use this with my Clarisonic brush. Boom. Done.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Azie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Did abosolutley nothing to clear my skin ended up binning it!doing much better with manuka honey face masks and homemade vitamin C serum :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by curlycolor

I have a recurring patch of eczema beneath each eye. The patches are not severe, but when they pop up, they are dry enough so that makeup looks horrible on, even with plenty of moisturizer. I came across this soap at the Vitamin Shoppe; the label said it was good for eczema, so I bought it. What I DID like is that it gave my face a very clean feeling. But after using it for a while, it ended up exacerbating the eczema and making it recur. I think it's just too drying. Also, it contains coal tar, which is a known carcinogen.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by woolandwater

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I purchased a bar of this at Whole Foods. I had heard a lot about black soap and wanted to see for myself. I like how this soap makes my skin feel after washing. A soap that leaves my skin feeling nice and clean after washing is important to me because of my acne-prone skin.

While some people might find it a little drying, I do not. This might also be because it's been a humid Michigan summer, but I"ll have to see how my skin feels about that when it's colder out. The price is not bad at all, considering I have used some pricey face washes in the past. I can't tell if it is helping my skin or not since I'm on a skin care regimen from my dermatologist, but I do like it and would recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 2:54:00 PM More reviews by laylajeanMUA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am in awe over this product. I have dry skin and basically any soap product that foams does not work for me. I usually have to use very gentle face washes that barely clean my face, which results in clogged pores and more skin issues for me. This product has changed my life. It is an organic soap, and does not leave my dry skin stripped or irritated like everything else has. I have dry, acne prone skin (Basically the worst skin type!) but I could never use any acne products because they always dried out my skin. This soap is basically a god send for people with my skin type (and probably every other skin type too!).

I tend to wear alot of makeup, and this cleanser gets it all off in one go. Afterwards, my skin feels a little tight (not overly dry) and moisturizer is still needed, but you should always use one anyways! I use organic hemp oil as my moisturizer at night and the hemp lotion by this same brand during the day. This combination has worked WONDERS for my dry skin. Not only has my acne almost completely cleared up, but my makeup now goes on very smoothly because this soap leaves my face completely flake-free. I used to have such a hard time putting on foundation because NOTHING would get rid of the flakes all over my face.

Seriously ditch your drugstore, AND high end chemical filled crappy skincare products and go organic. I can't believe I did not do this sooner, my skin is finally becoming the skin I have always dreamed of. Also, this soap is like 2-3 bucks so you have nothing to lose! try it out! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by creativenature90

I'm a big fan of Dudu - Osun african black soap for correcting discoloration and general exfoliation - the stuff leaves your skin glowing like no other. But my local health food store didn't carry it so I tried the Nubian Heritage brand and I'm not very impressed. Leaves a residue on my skin and doesn't do anything special. Its a nice soap for bathing, but really nothing to write home about.