Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmine White Moss

3.7

on 12/9/2009 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

In Yon Days of Yore, there was something called a chypre. It's as if the knowledge of how to create a chypre was lost, and Estee Lauder is attempting to rediscover it. They have not succeeded. The moss note is harsh and synthetic. The jasmine is also very synthetic-smelling. The drydown is softer and therefore inoffensive, but that's the best I can say about it. If you want to smell a *real* floral chypre, ask for Estee Lauder's original Private Collection. They usually keep some under the counter.

on 10/13/2009 12:50:00 PM

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss is like Cristalle with talons. I found it very disappointing. There are two impressions I get from PCJWM, other than its being an obvious nod to Cristalle. One is the smell of acetone. You know, fingernail polish remover. The other impression I get is a good measure of helional, which here smells discordant. Helional, by the way, is the impression of aluminum tinged milk. If JWM doesn't contain helional, then it contains something very close to it. JWM is much too rough for my tastes. For some, JWM may be a good gateway to Cristalle and its sisters. That said, JWM has a lot of bumps to it. Cristalle is much smoother and easier to wear. My recommendation is to go for the real deal.

on 9/18/2009 11:37:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I so wanted to love this because I adore the original (and best!) Private Collection as well as Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang.

But, Private Collection Jasmine White Moss was as offensive to be as Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia and I'm quite surprised! I barely noticed the Jasmine and there wasn't enough moss in the basenote to redeem the scent. Most of the notes seemed similar to Lauder's Sensuous (which I also don't like at all)....contrived, sweetly sour on the skin and in the air.

I think I'll stick with Lauder's classics : the original Private Collection, Estee, Knowing, Cinnabar and the grand dame: Youth Dew.

on 9/11/2009 6:14:00 PM

I like this one, it does have a vintage Chanel vibe about it only fresher and better. I find it more floral than chypre. I like that it smells slightly old fashioned. There's a creaminess to it that I really like. I will use up my samples because it is nice but I don't think I will buy, it just doesn't wow me. The lasting power is great though.

on 9/9/2009 12:20:00 PM

Shortened my long crazy earlier review. Nice classic type chypre and smells expensive, but it's not for me. I find it a bit suffocating. I am a lover of chypres. I just find this one oppressive. Can't do.

on 8/21/2009 4:43:00 PM

I expected to love this, but I'm really not excited by it. I've read other bloggers and reviewers refer to what they call "the dreaded Lauder-ade" and this is the first time I think I may actually be smelling what they're referring to. I love and own the Amber Ylang-Ylang, and the Tuberose Gardenia was lovely, though not for me personally.
I'll probably use up my sample of the EDP, and perhaps even put it into storage until next summer. My tastes have been known to change drastically, so who knows.
Overall, I'm underwhelmed at this time.

on 8/17/2009 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Oh I like this a lot. I like the jasmine top note tempered by the chypre notes of the oak moss. Great summer evening fragrance, though I'll wear it daytime too. I have the EDP. Pretty bottle. If you like jasmine, try it. If you like chypres with a difference, try it. If you like unusual floral blends, try it.

on 8/13/2009 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

My review is for the edp. I find Jasmine White Moss to be a nice, classy fragrance for summer. The top notes are a lovely lemony smell that's long lasting. Dries down to a soapy floral. I don't get a whole lot of chypre at all. The fragrance itself is long-lasting and I do enjoy wearing this scent. Would be great for a formal, warm-weather event.

on 7/29/2009 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is okay but really not anything special, imho. To be fair though, I'm more of a floriental/oriental kinda gal at heart. I still always enjoy smelling anything and everything since I can definitely appreciate scents that I would not personally wear. As others have said there's a strong resemblance to Chanel's Cristalle yet I find the Chanel more interesting. I tried on the EDP...the pure perfume had more of a musty smell. I'm starting to get a bit jaded w/the whole perfume industry as I've been so underwhelmed w/everything it seems like in the last I don't know how many years. There's a whole lot of choices but there's nothing of real substance coming out (& I usually only go for the niche brands-so it applies to them too). I'm desperately looking for something to wow me, something that I can call my signature scent. While I knew this wouldn't be it, I can't even recommend this to others who like this type of fragrance. BTW, this also gave me a headache!

on 7/25/2009 11:29:00 PM

Not sure about this one either. At first spary I didn't like it but after the dry down it was nice. I'd wear it. I received a sample which I'm sure I'll use up but probably won't buy it. It does have a hint of that ole fav of mine by Chanel - which is probably why I like it - but I find this softer.

Popular Fragrances