August 27, 2014 | 2004 users online

Deodorants - Lavanila - The Healthy Deodorant

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by ACupOfGreenTea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:
- Beautifully scented
- Natural, ingredients are plant-derived (vegetarian? vegan?)
- Aluminum-free
- Conditioning

Cons:
- Expensive ($14.00 USD for 2 oz. [57 g])
- Fragrance is not lasting
- May leave white residue

Reference: I purchased the 2 oz. stick at Sephora for the retail price. Out of the 6-8 scents available (some scents may be unlisted or discontinued on the Sephora website but might still be found on shelves in-store), I purchased the deodorant in Vanilla Blackberry. What attracted me most to this product is that it is aluminum-free (meaning that it is NOT an antiperspirant and therefore will NOT stop you from sweating). This is important to me because my own body chemistry does not react well with deodorant-antispirants that contain aluminum because it results in discolored stains in the armpit area of my shirts. It does however, contain cornstarch, which helps absorb moisture, to an extent.

My Experience:
What I liked about this product is that it left my underarms feeling soft and nourished within a few days of twice-daily use (after morning and evening shower). Although I really wanted to like this product, this is the only positive point that I have for product performance.

My first issue is that the scent is pretty strong, but does not level off to a more subtle level throughout the course of the day. In fact, it just stays strong for a few hours before fading completely. This practically defeats the purpose of a deodorant. Secondly, within two hours of application in a non-hot nor humid setting, my underarms did not feel dry. It was as if there was a thin layer of wetness over the deodorant. I understand that cornstarch is not THE end-all be-all of moisture-wicking ingredients, but it was disappointing to see how it really worked.

I don't have a lot of body odor (BO) myself, but with this product, I find myself worrying that the little of it might break through or otherwise create a weird musky-flowery scent when mixed with the fragrance. I did not have this concern with my previous deodorant, the Arm & Hammer Essentials (unscented). Perhaps baking soda and other "non-natural" ingredients in A&H are more effective against perspiration and/or are better antimicrobial agents (as BO is caused by the by-products of metabolism of the naturally-occuring bacteria on the skin). The only possible antimicrobial I see for the LaVanila Healthy Deodorant, as far as I can understand, might be tea tree oil, listed at the bottom of the ingredients list.

That in consideration, I give the product a 3 out of 5 lippies.

Other Comments:
Like most other deodorant products, the LaVanila Healthy Deodorant comes in a twist-up stick form. Packaging-wise, what does set it apart from other products is that the top or cap also twists up. What strikes me the most about the packaging is that is pretty weighty and secure. That and the sophisticated design/graphics of the product make it appear luxurious and eye-catching on the counter. It almost justifies the $14.00 price tag.

Although the twist-off top might be cumbersome to some, packaging receives a 5 out of 5 lippies from me.

Closing Commentary:
This is product is definitely a treat to use, but to me personally, not something worth repurchasing in the long run. The bells-and-whistles -- natural ingredients, beautiful packaging -- are nice, but performance-wise, this is average. This might be a fantastic product for someone who is really enthusiastic about natural skincare and beauty products or someone who does not really sweat a lot. For everyone else, there are probably other products (Herban Cowboy deodorants, perhaps? I have not tried their products but would like to) with similar ingredient composition (aluminum-free, etc.) that work better and/or are the fraction of the price.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2014 9:38:00 PM More reviews by hd111

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

People who are interested in purchasing natural deodorant need to understand that you WILL sweat because they are not anti-perspirants, just deodorizers.
That being said, for a natural deodorant, this is a great product. I live in Texas and my air conditioning went out in my car and I still smelt amazing. Note: I was still sweating, but my sweat smelt nice :)

If the price scares you, go to Sephora and get a trial size for $8.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2014 2:18:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I like this product. I am pregnant and I am trying to avoid unnecessary chemicals if possible. I am sweating more now and my other natural deodorant wasn't cutting it. I got the one scented as Vanilla/Sugar I believe. It notice the scent during the day and its very pleasant. I do not sweat a lot so it's strong enough for me.

Overall I would repurchase and consider trying other scents as well.

Update

Since my last review I tried other aluminum free deodorants but I noticed they irritated my skin or they started making my armpits dark. I went and bought full sized deodorant of this in vanilla/lavender and I love it. I will continue to use this product from now on.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2014 1:04:00 AM More reviews by rallu

I gave it 2 stars because I looove the scent ...Vanilla Passion Fruit but that's where it ends. Returned it because didn't do anything for me...no sweat or smell protection.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:35:00 AM More reviews by shalie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have bought 2 times this product. A little expensive for being a deodorant but it last long. At first it did not work much but now it does. I am using the vanilla lavender which has a nice not over the top smell. I like it. It is not the best product I have ever bought but I am a fan of natural products. I hate hate chemicals on my body like the smell of all those synthetic drugstore deodorants. It is way better than "Crystal body deodorant stick" so so dry what a waste of cash.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:13:00 AM More reviews by Annisty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I started using this deodorant because my previous aluminum free deodorant was discontinued. First off, I'm not much of a sweater but I do have a job with a lot of physical labor. I was really disappointed with this product. Yes, it smells good, but that really seems to be about it. It's pretty expensive; it's 14 dollars. It has a white, stick formulation which tends to get all over my clothes. The packaging is a bit strange because it had a screw off lid, and it doesn't really help with any smell or sweat. I definitely don't feel like this deodorant does what it's supposed too, which really is a shame. I'm all for natural deodorants, but I won't be repurchasing this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMomma

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best natural deodorant I've used, much better than Tom's. It keeps me smelling fresh for most of the day, but I do feel the need to apply it again mid-way through the day. I sweat quite a bit and usually use men's deodorants. I love the fresh lavender scent... I've even had a few people comment on the smell of my deodorant. It is quite pricey at $14/tube, but I feel it's worth the money. I'm on my 3rd bottle and I will definitely keep purchasing it as long as they make it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 9:11:00 AM More reviews by kkwil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this deodorant. I've tried other natural deodorants and none of them work as well as this. I have it in the pure vanilla scent and it smells so good. I don't sweat a lot, but the other brands I've tried didn't work at all, they actually made me smell worse. This is a little pricey I think I paid around 15 dollars at sephora.. But the fact it's natural and it works so well I don't mind paying a little extra. The packaging is really nice and not cheaply made. The deodorant goes on well and doesn't feel wet or sticky. This is my new go to deodorant!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 3:45:00 PM More reviews by lolizary

I love this deodorant, hands down. This year I have tried to switch from cheap drugstore skin items that are full of harsh chemicals, to natural skin loving products. As many people have mentioned, sometimes reapplication is necessary. But it works so well for me I don't mind re-applying. The scent is fabulous, quite a bit of product for the price, and pretty packaging.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by laureg

I love this deodorant- I use the vanilla passionfruit scent. Pros- this stuff smells amazing, and I like that it's natural and has no aluminum. Cons- it's not a heavy-duty product, is on the expensive side for a deodorant, and does not last all day on me. It was a bit of an adjustment at first, but I found the trick to using this (and other natural deodorants) deodorant is that you have to reapply mid-day to stay odor free all day. You will also need to reapply right before the gym or physical activity so the product holds up through sweating. As a warning to others, because this is a deodorant and not an anti-perspirant, it does not stop moisture or sweating, if that's what you're after. All in all though, a good product. I've been using this for about 3 years or so with good results, and I'll continue to use it.