October 24, 2014 | 1606 users online

Deodorants - Lavanila - The Healthy Deodorant

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've seen this product in stores for awhile now and I've always been curious. I got the travel size of the "pure vanilla" scent. For 5 years I've used Crystal and similar products with varying results. I decided that I need to finally switch to something else. For me this seems to work. The formula seems gentle and non-irritating. The scent is a bit strong. The only problems I have with this are the use of buzzwords like "pure" vanilla and "healthy" deodorant and the price, obviously.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This deodorant smell great, I have the vanilla travel size. However it does not last all day for me. :(

I have much better odor control with The Crystal body deodorant. I wish it worked better, but at the end of the work day no longer smelling so fresh.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2014 1:28:00 AM More reviews by sunblockobsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

LOVE.

I have this in the Vanilla Lemon scent, which smells like lemon cookie. This product is a true deodorant, meaning you will still sweat but you won't stink.

I have tried a number of natural deodorants with no success (Tom's, Nature's Gate, Alba, Burt's Bee's, Kiss my Face, baby powder) and have used the Dove fragrance-free antiperspirant for the past five years.

Until now.

This product lasts through stressful situations (family reunions, work, etc) and leaves my underarms soft instead of dry, itchy, and irritated, in turn making them easier to shave.

Will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2014 7:53:00 AM More reviews by IheartCHA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So, I have been on the hunt for a natural deodorant that actually works. I've tried many brands, and I've even tried to make my own -- but was left with a rash that burned hotter than 1000 suns, or I smelled worse than I would if I didn't even wear anything. This was my last resort. [shakes fist].

Fourteen whole dollars for a deodorant is pure --insanity--. This is why it was last on my list to try. What magical wonder is in this 2oz of product to make it so expensive?! Will I get super powers? I work part time retail, but my job is really physical. I asked myself, would I spend about $60 a year to possibly not smell bad (if this works), and the answer was yes, yes I would [makes it rain].

I went to Sephora to pick this up in person. I was not impressed by the brands testers. I have heard reviews where someone opened a new deodorant, and it smelled like rancid play-doh, and that's exactly what ALL of the testers smelled like. I have no idea how long there were of service, but they were all rank. Even the perfume testers. They were also really low on everything. Working in retail, I know this is not the store's fault. I figured the smell had to be the testers, and with their return policy, I picked up the original vanilla scent, hoping for the best. I really wanted to try other scents, though. :( Send my Durham store more testers!

I left it in the bag for a couple of days, and honestly planned to take it back. I finally opened it though, and was pleasantly surprised! The smell is STRONG -- like old lady flower, powder, a hint of musk perfume. Not what I would usually go for, but I like it. The testers at the store didn't have the cool (kind if moist) feeling as I tested them on my wrist to get a true smell. Mine did. I like this too.
As I can tell, I like the ingredients as well. No baking soda either!

I've never had to deal with bad BO before, nor do I sweat a lot, but given my job, and the lack of AC in my car, this has really blown me away! I've had this for about three weeks, and this works better for me than the standard drugstore brands -- with aluminum! The smell lasts all day on me, and I NEVER have to reapply. My skin is so much happier, and less irritated from using this. I have not had a major issue with "white residue", as most claim, but come on. If it's powder based, and this is, it comes with the territory. I just dress carefully. I will repurchase!

This, like others have stated, will not keep you from sweating, since this is absent of aluminum. Other stores, and the brand's store have a mini deodorant [$8] , which is half the size of the one at Sephora, which is probably what I will purchase next time. It would have been nice if Sephora had these as well, but they don't.

EDIT: 08.25.2014

The scent of this is actually getting less appealing the more I use it. Like another reviewer stated, the musky part of the fragrance make me feel like I actually start to smell. If they would make a fragrance free version, I would be all over this! Even though it works very well, I probably won't repurchase. I can't deal with the scent.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by ACupOfGreenTea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:
- Beautifully scented
- Natural, ingredients are plant-derived (vegetarian? vegan?)
- Aluminum-free
- Conditioning

Cons:
- Expensive ($14.00 USD for 2 oz. [57 g])
- Fragrance is not lasting
- May leave white residue

Reference: I purchased the 2 oz. stick at Sephora for the retail price. Out of the 6-8 scents available (some scents may be unlisted or discontinued on the Sephora website but might still be found on shelves in-store), I purchased the deodorant in Vanilla Blackberry. What attracted me most to this product is that it is aluminum-free (meaning that it is NOT an antiperspirant and therefore will NOT stop you from sweating). This is important to me because my own body chemistry does not react well with deodorant-antispirants that contain aluminum because it results in discolored stains in the armpit area of my shirts. It does however, contain cornstarch, which helps absorb moisture, to an extent.

My Experience:
What I liked about this product is that it left my underarms feeling soft and nourished within a few days of twice-daily use (after morning and evening shower). Although I really wanted to like this product, this is the only positive point that I have for product performance.

My first issue is that the scent is pretty strong, but does not level off to a more subtle level throughout the course of the day. In fact, it just stays strong for a few hours before fading completely. This practically defeats the purpose of a deodorant. Secondly, within two hours of application in a non-hot nor humid setting, my underarms did not feel dry. It was as if there was a thin layer of wetness over the deodorant. I understand that cornstarch is not THE end-all be-all of moisture-wicking ingredients, but it was disappointing to see how it really worked.

I don't have a lot of body odor (BO) myself, but with this product, I find myself worrying that the little of it might break through or otherwise create a weird musky-flowery scent when mixed with the fragrance. I did not have this concern with my previous deodorant, the Arm & Hammer Essentials (unscented). Perhaps baking soda and other "non-natural" ingredients in A&H are more effective against perspiration and/or are better antimicrobial agents (as BO is caused by the by-products of metabolism of the naturally-occuring bacteria on the skin). The only possible antimicrobial I see for the LaVanila Healthy Deodorant, as far as I can understand, might be tea tree oil, listed at the bottom of the ingredients list.

That in consideration, I give the product a 3 out of 5 lippies.

Other Comments:
Like most other deodorant products, the LaVanila Healthy Deodorant comes in a twist-up stick form. Packaging-wise, what does set it apart from other products is that the top or cap also twists up. What strikes me the most about the packaging is that is pretty weighty and secure. That and the sophisticated design/graphics of the product make it appear luxurious and eye-catching on the counter. It almost justifies the $14.00 price tag.

Although the twist-off top might be cumbersome to some, packaging receives a 5 out of 5 lippies from me.

Closing Commentary:
This is product is definitely a treat to use, but to me personally, not something worth repurchasing in the long run. The bells-and-whistles -- natural ingredients, beautiful packaging -- are nice, but performance-wise, this is average. This might be a fantastic product for someone who is really enthusiastic about natural skincare and beauty products or someone who does not really sweat a lot. For everyone else, there are probably other products (Herban Cowboy deodorants, perhaps? I have not tried their products but would like to) with similar ingredient composition (aluminum-free, etc.) that work better and/or are the fraction of the price.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2014 9:38:00 PM More reviews by hd111

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

People who are interested in purchasing natural deodorant need to understand that you WILL sweat because they are not anti-perspirants, just deodorizers.
That being said, for a natural deodorant, this is a great product. I live in Texas and my air conditioning went out in my car and I still smelt amazing. Note: I was still sweating, but my sweat smelt nice :)

If the price scares you, go to Sephora and get a trial size for $8.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2014 2:18:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I like this product. I am pregnant and I am trying to avoid unnecessary chemicals if possible. I am sweating more now and my other natural deodorant wasn't cutting it. I got the one scented as Vanilla/Sugar I believe. It notice the scent during the day and its very pleasant. I do not sweat a lot so it's strong enough for me.

Overall I would repurchase and consider trying other scents as well.

Update

Since my last review I tried other aluminum free deodorants but I noticed they irritated my skin or they started making my armpits dark. I went and bought full sized deodorant of this in vanilla/lavender and I love it. I will continue to use this product from now on.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2014 1:04:00 AM More reviews by rallu

I gave it 2 stars because I looove the scent ...Vanilla Passion Fruit but that's where it ends. Returned it because didn't do anything for me...no sweat or smell protection.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:35:00 AM More reviews by shalie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have bought 2 times this product. A little expensive for being a deodorant but it last long. At first it did not work much but now it does. I am using the vanilla lavender which has a nice not over the top smell. I like it. It is not the best product I have ever bought but I am a fan of natural products. I hate hate chemicals on my body like the smell of all those synthetic drugstore deodorants. It is way better than "Crystal body deodorant stick" so so dry what a waste of cash.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2014 11:13:00 AM More reviews by Annisty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I started using this deodorant because my previous aluminum free deodorant was discontinued. First off, I'm not much of a sweater but I do have a job with a lot of physical labor. I was really disappointed with this product. Yes, it smells good, but that really seems to be about it. It's pretty expensive; it's 14 dollars. It has a white, stick formulation which tends to get all over my clothes. The packaging is a bit strange because it had a screw off lid, and it doesn't really help with any smell or sweat. I definitely don't feel like this deodorant does what it's supposed too, which really is a shame. I'm all for natural deodorants, but I won't be repurchasing this one.