Hakuhodo Brushes

on 10/2/2013 11:08:00 AM

just some general thoughts on these brushes are all extremely good quality, felt very soft against the skin and very well made.
They have a variety of hair types ,shapes that you can choose and available for purchase online from Hakuhodo USA

if you're looking for very good quality brushes ,I would totally recommend it
The customer service was very responsive to all questions and special requests I had and they had super fast shipping

on 9/22/2013 11:16:00 PM

I have being eyeing these Japanese brushes for a while and bit the bullet last minute and went to Sydney IMATS. So glad I did as it was good to feel the brushes before committing to buy. Loved the pure blue squirrel brushes, so went a little nuts and got 11 brushes. They are so amazing, I could barely feel them on my eye lid, not like the scratchy Mac 226 which I paid twice as much for.

on 9/21/2013 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have a few brushes from Hakuhodo,
And like everyone else's reviews I agree these are SOFT and very well made. Most of brushes are very reasonably priced, if you go for the less expensive series. I purchased mine in the Torrance CA show room and I asked the sales person why such a big price jump( of 20 dollars or more) for brush heads that look the same.. She said that the brush handle is what you are paying extra for, the brush heads are the same. So I always check to make sure to buy from he cheaper series as I am really only interested in the function of the brush NOT aesthetics. My only recommendation would be to immediately brush on clear nail polish on the logo/model number that is on the brush handle after opening. I love the holographic logo and do this to all my brushes so it doesn't wear off( which it will, and quickly) other than that these brushes are highly recommended!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Alright, I'm no good in giving precise review on brushes.
I only know they are good brushes when they feel so soft on my face and don't shed like crazy (shedding one hair once every 3 days or so is not shedding, right?).
Haduhodo Brushes are not available in Singapore but they recently had a 5-day promotion in a department store, yes, just 5 days in Singapore.
I bought J602 Slide Face Angled brush - to be used on the go, and for powder touch, especially my T-zone and the sides of my nose. This brush does these beautifully.
I also bought B100BkSL Finishing Brush Angled - actually I don't really have the need for this brush as I think this is mainly for highlighting. I just use this and brush all over my face after my make to remove any excess powder including along jaw and hairline and my neck. Just feeling something so luxurious on my face is enough to make me invest in this brush.

Overall, I am extremly happy with these two purchases, and will re-buy in a heartbeat if I need to.

Oh, I was lucky to get some first hand tips in looking after these brushes. As I said, my purchase was at a promotion by Hakuhodo and I was served by the Japanese sales lady from Hakuhodo (the local promoter which they employed just for the sale event did not even know these tips). She told me that I only need to wash the brushes once every six months, or even only once a year! Use only detergent for wool. Drying time is 5 DAYS. Yes, you heard me. 5 Days to dry and I am not supposed to use it even if the hairs are dry in a day or two as the hairs inside the brush/handle need to be totally dry before use. So, some Haduhodo trivial for you.

on 8/8/2013 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I will review the following:
G5521BkSL Highlight Brush pointed
S103 Pointed Powder Blush Brush
Large pointed Yachiyo
Price: 34 USD
Hair: Goat/Blue Squirrel (amazing softness, but not flimsy due to the goat hair mixed in)
I have used this brush for 10 months, almost daily.

I use the G5521BkSL brush for several tasks: setting under eye concealer with LM secret brightening powder, for powdering my t-zone (the only area on my dry face that gets shiny) and highlighter on the top of my cheekbones, which it applies and blends beautifully. I have not tried this for contouring, even though I know some people have used it for that.

This brush has not shed a single hair. The letters on the handle have worn of slightly, and that is the reason for me only rating it a 4 on 'packaging'. I would probably repurchase due to the fact that it makes those tasks that you COULD manage with another brush a little bit easier and with a more flawless result.

I would recommend. It is also relatively cheap compared to the bigger brushes made of blue squirrel and would be great it you are curious about blue squirrel brushes, but are, like me, a poor student.
I will review the B103. It has the same brush head as the S103 but retails for 72 dollars due to the different handle, which is glossy black instead of vermillion.
The brush is made of goat hair, which is soft and pretty firm, at least compared to the hair of the blue squirrel.

The lettering wore of after 20 minutes of use. It makes me regret not buying the S103, which I think is of better quality when it comes to the handle.

I use it for loose face powder, then I flick it of and use it for bronzer and contour powder. What I love about Hakuhodo brushes is their ability to grab onto product easily and release it just as easily. This fact makes the B103 a multi tasker. I've tried it for directional blush and it works fine, I just prefer my Hakuhodo large pointed yachiyo for that.

After washing it, a smell of wet dog lingers for a short while. It's only natural and nothing that bothers me. I use brush guards to help it remain its original shape.

This brush is the pride of my small collection and a must have for anyone who is economical (yes, buying this brush is an investment) and minimalistic, meaning, wanting a collection as small as possible.

UPDATE: After 10 months of use, it's still in perfect condition. This brush has seriously never shed one single hair. Ever. Even though this brush CAN be used for directional blush, as I wrote earlier, I would not recommend it. The tip may be pointed but the brush is still too big and it does not make it possible to work the blush into the skin, which is my preferred method. I also have to add that the brush hair has a healthy luster to them, like newly conditioned hair. Really shiny, and an indication that the hair used is not damaged.
After era of using ecotools blush brush, I felt needed something more precise and with the ability to diffuse pigmented blushes. My eyes landed on the NARS yachiyo, but after reading reviews I decided on Hakuhodos version, because it was described as softer and better. Anyone owning Rae Morris book "Makeup: The ultimate guide" will see this exact brush featured in the brush chapter, where she states that she loves it.
The brus is soft, but in a cotton-y way, instead of having that smooth silky feel that Blue squirrel offers. It manages to apply both sheer and heavily pigmented blushes. You still have to shake of the brush before letting it touch your cheeks if you're using something along the likes of NARS Taj Mahal.
This is the only Hakuhodo brush that has been shedding. About 4 or 5 hairs.
UPDATE: After 7 mpnths of use, I have to rate this lover. If I only had to rate performane, it would get a 5/5, but the quality of this brush is not at the same level as its price. It sheds a LOT. I still love it and use it everyday (since this is the only blush brush I own and I hate throwing expensive stuff), but if I could wind back time, I would have bought a brush from the B series. They are made of softer, black goat and/or squirrel and does not shade one bit!

on 7/20/2013 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

These brushes are excellent.
I've been a makeup artist for many years and have used many brushes - these ones take the proverbial cake. With frosting.

I held Trish brushes as my HG brushes until i found these.

The nice thing about the Hakuhodo brushes is they have several "series", the prices running the gamut from MAC to Tom Ford. ALL of them are of excellent quality, and you don't necessarily need to spend the big bucks to get a superb brush.
At this point, all my brushes are from the G and J series, and every single one of them puts any MAC brush in my possession to shame.

If i were to recommend ONE brush here, it would be the G5557 2mm Powder & Liquid Brush. It's by far the best foundation brush EVER.
End of story.

I have two crease-brushes - both of which have slightly different functions that they fulfill perfectly.

If you want brushes that are going to last, that are incredibly soft, and do the job above and beyond expectation, then get Hakuhodo brushes.
Listen - good brushes are an investment. And you don't need to get the high-end series to get superb quality from this company.

A final word about these brushes - do your research and know the *function* of the brush you are purchasing (maybe read up a little on hair-types/density as well as shape, and what they are used for in terms of brush making) and you won't be disappointed in their performance.

I have a full review of the ones i currently own on my blog here;

on 6/26/2013 6:56:00 PM

I recently bought a J210 Blush Brush from Hakuhodo which they had recommended when I emailed and asked them what they thought would be a good powder brush. I also purchased a blush brush which is goat hair and very nice. A little pricey, but good. The J210 was not good. Too soft for picking up any product, and the hairs starting coming out. That may be because it was new. I had read much great review on utube about their brushes thinking they were the HG of all brushes NOT. I contacted them right away about the dissatification with the one brush, but never heard back. I then read that once the package is opened it is yours!! The price for the J210 Blush Brush was $44. which is medium expensive, but I was disappointed in it. Packaging was fine.

My favorite brushes of all time! I've owned a dozen of these at one time or another and have never been disappointed. They aren't cheap but the quality is totally worth it.

on 10/27/2012 10:29:00 PM

I have been buying Hakuhodo brushes for 2 years and have accumulated 60 or more brushes so far. I have found the brushes to be above and beyond expectations. The quality and service of the company is outstanding. For those in Australia $12 shipping I think is a fair price. The brush I wanted to review is the J242G eye shadow brush round & flat. This brush is made from goat & synthetic fiber. This brush is my preference to the Mac 239. The price is $17 compared to $54 for the Mac 239 (Australian pricing). I love the Mac 239 and have not been able to buy a comparable brush till I found the J242G, fiber length is the same as the 239, narrower in width and a little less fluffy. The J242G is part of the J Series of brush that previously where only available at trade shows. I have smaller hooded eyes, I find this brush to be firm, small enough to do detail work and large enough to pack colour on the eye lid, smudge liner on the top and lower lashline. I have 2 of these brushes and plan on picking up a few more. A great all round eye brush at a great price point.

my holy grail eye shadow brush is g5523bksl. it lightly lays eye shadow and blends it beautifully, it is perfect for very highly pigmented eye shadows, it is soooooo soft, i love everything about this brush! i will be buying more of these for sure. other hakuhodo brushes that i like and use frequently are...k005 for tight lining using gel eye liner and g5510bksl for smudging eye liner or applying dark eye shadow close to the lash line.

couple of complaints that i have with hakuhodo...are their names and product # for the brushes. can they make it any longer and difficult? what is g&#%^*bksl.... and a lot of the names are same. they can totally improve on the numbering, make it more simple for people to order and easy to remember. also, their shipping is $9. that is steep for such a light weight shipment.

Top Rated Hakuhodo Products