LUSH Dark Angels

Rhassoul Mud, Cold Pressed Avocado Oil, Glycerine, Powdered Charcoal, Black Sugar, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Perfume, Linalool, Sandalwood Oil, Rosewood oil (VEGAN)

on 12/27/2014 1:38:00 AM

I felt like the product was so-so. It looks really cool and interesting, but the sugars in the cleanser was waayy too harsh. It was also very messy too, so I only used it in the shower. It had this really strong clay paint like smell too, which I didn't mind. I used the rest of this cleanser on my body, because my face was too sensitive for it. It's also pretty pricey, but it does its job at exfoliating.

on 12/24/2014 8:03:00 AM

First let me tell you a bit about my skin as every person's skin is different. I'm 30 years old. I have sensitive-combination skin, rarely breakout, very oily in places, and I'm dry on forehead, under-eyes, and cheeks. My holy grail products are Yes to Cucumber cleanser and Cetaphil moisturizer. Usually leaves me with a Disney Princess, glowing complexion. I've found less is more. Less chemicals = better skin.

Ok, so I purchased Dark Angels in hopes of going the less chemical route and hoping it would clear up my blackheads.

The first week of using Dark Angels I was impressed! I even got compliments on how great my skin looked! I didn't mind that it was messy, not very user friendly, and left black stains in my nail beds.

However...

After a week of use... my skin started coming up in a horrible rash after cleansing. MIND YOU, I was not scrubbing my face, but gently buffing. I have sensitive skin so scrubbing is not an option.

I also got a deep cystic acne bump on my chin! I haven't had one of those since I was in high school! Just under my cheek bones starting breaking out in these tiny bumps and white heads. It was disgusting.

My typically clear complexion was sabotaged!

I reeeeeeally wanted to like this product because Lush is a hip company that doesn't do animal testing, but they operate under a facade that they are natural. They still use perfumes in cleanser?? That's a no-no. Dark Angels contains perfume. Also contains chemicals and sulphates. Also a BIG no-no for natural skin care.

I don't think I would really recommend this cleanser to ANYone. No matter skin type.

This is the first time I've ever written a review about a beauty product so I feel ever so passionate about spreading the word lol!

Do not waste your money. My dermatologist took one look at the pot of Dark Angels and went "Oh no. No, no, no."

I will be returning to my "Yes to.." cleanser and Cetaphil.

Wise up, ladies. :)

on 12/18/2014 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

i have repurchased this for over and year and just switched to angels on bare skin for a more gentle option.
black coal face scrub in a dry powder form. needs to be mixed with water before applied to the face. brown sugar acts as the main exfoliant. doesn't have a strong smell but does have one which i cannot explain.
it is quite abrasive on the skin when you use it though if you use a very small amount and mix with water, the sugar tends to melt and you have a nice face scrub.
they recommend to use this once every three days because its so abrasive but i was using it every night.
doesn't leave my face dry after I've used it. never felt 'over exfoliated' maybe my skin is bit more resilient. leaves a very very light oil film on the skin - nothing too heavy or uncomfortable.
made my whole sink dirty though because it is black. i had black particles everywhere.
comes in a the lush black pot, try not to get water into it because it then accelerates its expiry. $16AUD for the pot that lasted me 3-4 months use.
another tip is this is great as a mask. mix a larger amount with water and slather it on the face, wait for it to dry. never irritated my acne- it actually helped with it.

on 11/16/2014 11:23:00 PM

One of my favorite MASKS - that's right, I use this as a mask not cleanser. I put a LITTLE BIT - a little goes a long way - in a small dish or bowl with some honey or aspirin, mix it up and use as a mask. Again a little bit goes a long way.

on 11/16/2014 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

for some strange reason I recently started to break out this year. not your normal breakout here, I mean cyatic painful acne, which I never had before. I tried switchong everything n not even wearing make up, to using a prescription. nothing worked. then I started using this product with tea tree oil n I saw an improvement. It didn't remove my acne comoletely but my skin felt better n the scars became minimal. I'm also using this with illumask n wow!! this combo works for me. You r totally paying for a quality product that lasts. its worth a try.

on 10/13/2014 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

One of the few Lush products that I actually liked. Everything they sell is over priced for the quantity, in my opinion. However I would repurchase the Dark Angels.
I did not use it as my primary cleanser, but as a supplement in my routine a few times per week.
Like many lush products, it is messy to apply. I put the paste on my skin and left it on for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then would re wet it and scrub my face before rinsing it off. It left my skin tight and clean feeling.
I do not consider it an HG product, at least not for me. However it was interesting, and charcoal is known to remove impurities.
Back when I used it the packaging was horrible. Looks like they've started putting it in tubs which is a few steps up from the clear, flimsy plastic containers mine shipped in.
I don't have sensitive skin. This product did not cause any breakouts or irritation for me.

on 10/10/2014 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love coal face, but this doesn't seem to work for me. It's aimed at oily skin, but when you use it, your skin is left feeling so oily? You have to wash your face with a cleanser after using it, to remove all the oil.

Also, you have to really really work hard to get this off your skin. Every time I use it it leaves a dark grey oily film over my face!?!?

I will use up my tub cautiously but I won't re buy :(

on 9/10/2014 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

ok i love this stuff but i feel its a pain in the ass to apply, def not a fan of that...sooooo just buy lushs coal face, its like the exact thing only in bar form...and i ADORE it :)

I was having trouble with my oily t-zone and random zits all summer and tried many different products. I finally was fed up and decided that maybe all natural skin products would work. So far it has! I have been using this product for about two weeks and my skin looks very smooth and my pores are smaller.

My main goal was to rid of oil and blackheads on my nose and forehead and that hasn't improved drastically- ust a little.

Pro- The overall look of my skin is great though! It looks like I have a light powder foundation on when I don't. I would definitely recommend this product to anybody!

Con- Try to use in the shower or when hair is up...I have little black sand all in my scalp on my forehead.

on 9/3/2014 9:53:00 PM

I've been using this product for two weeks now and i am in love with it. i have very oily/acne prone skin and nothing ever works on me. i was recently prescribed a tropical medication by my doctor to help with my acne...which helped a lot but i wanted something more natural. so i switched to this after a friend recommended this. BEST decision ever.

The product is a little messy to use but its amazing. you need a pea sized amount...turn into a paste with water and scrub away. surprisingly it's gentle enough to use twice a day. after washing your face the product leaves a slight oily residue on your skin...preventing it from drying out...which probably helps with acne control.

Great product. Highly recommend it!