December 20, 2014 | 945 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Dark Angels

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by addkg777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

i much prefer my angels on bare skin because even though this is for acneic skin, i found it extremely oily. it will stain your bath tub if youre not careful and thats a pain. it has a pretty strong charcoal smell as is expected.
the only reason i said i would repurchase is because my husband loves it! and he doesnt ever use anything besides all in one body wash! you know the one thats a shamppo, body wash, and face wash all in one haha. but he just loves it and wants more when he runs out.
i didnt use it long enough to notcie benefits because the oil scared me and im not sure if it wouldve broken me out but it doesnt seem to hurt my husbands skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by MissNostalgia

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I guess I would buy this again.

Its actually a good product, it really gets in there and scrubs it down, and the pot lasts forever and ever.

The only thing I dont like about it, is probably actually part of what makes it good, is the consistency. Its literally a pot of ground up muds. Its thick, grainy, earth. Frankly, I found it surprising (I bought it on the website, not the shop, so, I didnt really get a look at it), usually I have to give it some watering-down with a cleansing milk, because otherwise, its just a hard palm-full of immobile, unlubricated, irritating soil. BUT, if you do use just a little, and gently mix in something until you reach the right texture, its very good. So, while its a little off-putting that its not a creamy grit-mixture like what you usually get in a tube of exfoliant, but, the benefit is that you can mix in the moisture of your choice until you have exactly the texture you want. Its very versatile that way.

Takes a bit of effort to rinse off though, stains light-colored washcloths, and its definetly not the kind of exfoliant you should throw around on a daily basis, its pretty hard-core and could easily shred and dry your face if you overdo it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2014 5:47:00 AM More reviews by Cactus_Pear

This stuff is great. the first ingredient is MUD, apparently some kind of special mud. also has charcoal in it. the exfoliator in it is finely ground almond meal, I love it, it feels gentle/ soft on the skin but really makes my skin feel clean afterward. This is not a wimpy scrub!

cons: I only use it in the shower because if I use it at the sink, I get black colored droplets everywhere, but maybe I am just messy

the smell: it's not exactly pleasant to me

pros: lasts forever. you only need a pea sized amount when using, my tub is lasting me a long time, enough to justify the price

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by SalArdestani

I actually work for Lush and I can honestly say this product is truly amazing. This is said from personal experience and feedback from customers.

The packaging is 100% recyclable, as we do this with all our pots. You get a free facemask when you collect and return 5 black pots (they have to be clean) which is well worth it!

I would NOT advise this to be used as a mask, if you're looking for a mask that functions the same to this, I would suggest Mask of Magnaminty (also excellent).

The charcoal in this product is oil absorbent which is perfect for sucking up blackheads and the excess oil that causes this. The rasshoul mud deeply cleanses and removes oil whilst the sugar provides a thorough exfoliation deep into pores. This product comes in clay form so all you do is mix a pea sized amount with water to create a paste and scrub away.

For people who have said this is too harsh for their skin, you're only meant to be light when you wash with this as the sugar does the scrubbing for you! I only advise using this twice a week. You can use Coalface facial soap as a gentle alternative the rest of the days as this is very much the soap version of Dark Angels. Also fantastic at busting blackheads.

You can also mix Dark Angels with a little Angels on Bare skin to create a lovely balancing cleanser which is going to gently moisturise too.

REMEMBER: your skin refreshes itself around every 21 days, so to see a real result, stick with the same routine for approximately 3 weeks. This is because as your older skin cells are shedding, new skin cells underneath are being built and you MUST use the same treatment of your skin as they are building to get results! Do not expect a miracle after one use.

Hope this helps out.
I'm gonna be reviewing more lush products soon.

Peace and love!

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 2:56:00 PM More reviews by chixxle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a really nice face srub. I have moderately oily, teenage skin that gets breakouts especially on my forhead. I use this around every other day at night and it work great. Since I have been using it my oil has gone down, my breakouts and small bumps on my forehead are going away and my skin feels really soft. To use it I wet my face, dry it slightly, take a bit in the palm of my hand, Mix some water with it, spread it on my skin like a face mask, leave it for like 3 minutes, then gently wash it off; focusing the exfoliation on my t-zone. A tip is to make sure you don't scrub too hard or it can irritate your face. The only reason I didn't give this 5 lippies is because I hate the smell. It smells like peppers to me but what it really is is sandalwood and rose wood. The worst part is the smell lingers for a long time. Otherwise this is a a great cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2014 1:51:00 AM More reviews by Elitelcs

I've recently started using this product, it's been about 2 weeks now. I use it almost every morning and I'm seeing results already. My skin is much softer, my dark spots are lightening a bit, and I'm not really breaking out as bad as I used to. Would definitely buy again!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2014 1:14:00 PM More reviews by ellensmith

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I liked this product, I love really abrasive scrubs to get rid of flaky skin. I also have really oily skin and it does a good job. the reason I gave this a bad score is because it is so messy. It gets absolutely everywhere and leaves a residue on the bottom of the shower that looks gross. I also discovered the hard way that it leaves a residue on your skin. I got out of the shower to find my skin was black. I will have to get back into the shower and use a scrubbing brush to clean it off. As much as i like the product using it is quite a hassle, so I use the Mac volcanic ash exfoliator instead which I love despite the gross smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by at900

My skin is pretty insane. I've had oily, acne-prone, large pore-d skin since I can remember and it is the most annoying thing in the world! I've tried literally 100's of skin products, and have stuck with multiple combinations, but I think that I have finally found my perfect one. This face wash is amazing! It feels abrasive because of the sugar, but my extremely touchy, sensitive skin has shown no reaction to it. It feels really nice while scrubbing my skin and leaves it feeling super soft! The only downside is that it's a bit messy and I recommend using it when you're in the shower. I use this as part of a routine: in the AM, I first use this scrub & then use the tea tree foam wash from the body shop & finish it off with the moisture surge oil free lotion from Clinique (literally the ONLY lotion to not break my face out). In the PM, I've been using the Herbalism scrub from Lush (much gentler than the Dark Angels) & then the Boscia detoxifying black cleanser (also AMAZING), followed by the body shop tea tree toner & more of the Clinique lotion. Twice a week I steam with my face with the tea tree steamers from Lush & use the Glamglow detox mask (I'm not sure if it's worth the money yet, but I'm definitely not hating it!) I'm not sure which of these is working best or if they're all just working extremely well together, but I think that after 11 years of searching for a good routine for my skin, I have finally found it! My pores definitely look much tighter under my makeup and the oil is reduced (not completely of course, it's not a miracle cure). My acne is virtually gone as well, though this may be partly due to my hormones finally balancing out. Either way, I 100% will be repurchasing Dark Angels & would recommend it to anyone who has oily skin with stubborn acne or blackheads!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by elajean

I used to love this stuff but stopped purchasing it a while back due to inconsistency in the quality of the product. It worked well as a balancing cleanser for my combination skin when it was mixed correctly, but I found that sometimes it seemed like they used the wrong sugar- the grains were too large! Or maybe it was just too much? The last time I used it, it left scratches on my face!

So I started making my own clay-and-oil-based cleansers. I really do think the combination is a winner for a daily cleanser, and much better than the OCM or clay masks on their own. I'll share my recipe for my version of Dark Angels soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by peachhsorbet

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin is quite tricky, and I have spent years trying to find a cleanser that correlates with my skin type. I need a cleanser that properly cleans my skin but without the nasty chemicals.

Dark Angels is my holy grail skin product. Although the black colour and smell did initially put me off, I'm so glad I bought this. It is a little pricier than face washes and cleansers at 6.40 for a 100g tub, this product is super affordable as you only need to pick off a small piece every time you use this, so this product is going to last ages.

As my skin is quite oily, this helps tame that and moisturises it. I also have red bumps that appear on my t-zone, which before this product it was hard to control and many products I tried had irritated it and made it worse. However, Dark Angels has also helped to soothe those troubled parts and has almost cleared it up (I've been using this for 2 weeks).

As this product is a scrub (black sugar), people with extremely sensitive skin may want to avoid this and try one of Lush's other facial cleansers. Although my skin is a little sensitive, this product is very kind to my skin. The bonus is that there are no nasty chemicals, so my face is not absorbing anything harmful or irritating.

I have found that this product works well with Lush's Enzymion facial moisturiser too - both help to combat oily skin so if your face gets very oily you may want to have a try of those! :) The lady I spoke to in my local Lush store also told me the moisturiser keeps your skin from getting oily when you have make up on too, which I have found to be true (no touch-ups for me!!), so would defo recommend this cleanser and moisturiser! x