November 26, 2014 | 1632 users online

Conditioner - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

i love this conditioner - and the go blonder shampoo - and i'd be happy to use them regularly even without the lightening effect.

my hair is a natural light golden brown (no dye, no highlights) and after three months use, it is subtly but noticeably lighter and brighter and a prettier colour so i'm delighted. no salon required ;-)

as i've only used this conditioner with the shampoo i don't know how they stack up individually, but as i'm happy to keep using both, that's not a problem

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by cking2013

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been using this shampoo combined with the conditioner off and on for a couple months and I really liked it! I have blonde hair ranging in colors because in the summer it gets a lot lighter from the sun and occasional sun in use :) but during the fall and winter I get dirty blonde roots and this lightened them to a point where they blended in nicely. This works over time so it's subtle and won't do anything crazy but it's great for blending in dark blonde roots. The conditioner is very thick and does a great job at adding shine and moisturizing. Even this though can't fix the damage of the go blonder lightening spray its awful and turns your hair to straw and I don't mean in color. Use sun in instead if you need a more dramatic change if you have blonde/ light brown hair it doesn't damage for me at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by lemonade25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

If you have light to medium brown hair that lightens naturally in the sun and you want to speed up the process this product is for you.

Let me start by saying i have long light brown hair (to the middle of my back), and except for the use of this product it is "virgin" except for the last four or so inches which i had dyed blonde and then coloured brown.

The good: This product works on my hair to bring out my natural highlights without adding any extra brassiness. It is thick so it doesnt run all over my clothes and it stays where i apply it. It wont drastically lighten your hair if you are a brunette but it will enhance any natural highlights you would get in the sun.

The bad: This product can be quite drying. If you look at the ingredients it does have citrine in it which is acidic at does dry out your hair a bit. It is also on the expensive side for a drug store brand. (I live in an expensive city: Toronto, Canada so about 14$ per tube, seems cheaper in the U.S)

For best results: If you have light brown hair do not follow the directions, instead leave it on for an hour or so and sit out in the sun or wrap your hair in tinfoil. I also apply a deep conditioner over top of it to help balance out some of the drying effects.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by GrRoxxy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

My hair are very long, I spend 6 hours only to do ombre in salon and it cost FORTUNE. So I want to maintain my blonde and I thought this one gonna make it even more bright.

The truth is I didnt notice any lightening effect- maybe Im blind? But I want to believe it helps to maintain the colour.
What I do notice is that it smells good, applies nicely and leaves my hair smooth and shiny and helps with detangling.

Overall I like it but in my opinion- it doesnt make my hair brighter.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by aliciamoniz

I have dyed ash blonde hair and used this product with the Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo. However, it didn't lighten, just made it brassy. While I loved the smell and consistency I just felt like it never smoothed my hair or really moisturized.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2012 12:04:00 PM More reviews by leenieb

I have only used this product twice but so far I definitely love it! I was impressed with the conditioner overall but was surprised by the silky, shiny texture it left. Especially because I am in desperate need of a haircut, my hair has been looking dull and flat. I noticed a significant difference in the feeling of my hair after only 1 use. I am using it with the JF blond shampoo (not the lightening one) because I want a gradual natural progressing to lighter hair. I had used the JF Beach Blonde gel a few years ago (discontinued) and it turned my entire head platinum blonde which was not at all what I was going for.
After 2 uses, I can definitely tell a difference in the color. No one else has made a comment yet regarding the color but I did get compliments at a family dinner the first night I used it regarding the texture and even my mom, who is my hair dresser, asked if I was cheating on her because of the healthy look my hair had. Right now, I wouldn't say it is lighter yet, but definitely brighter (not brassy or platinum-y) and shinier.
I am going to take it easy using this product as I do have very sensitive skin and I read in another user's review that she had issues with her scalp. I plan on carefully monitoring my hair and skin while using this product to make sure that I am giving it a fair go without putting my health at risk.

So far, I am loving it! I will keep you posted :) good luck ladies and Happy Spring!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A great conditioner, it doesn't weigh my flat, fine hair down. This leaves me with soft, healthy hair and I find it does lighten my blonde hair slightly, not a huge difference in color but a nice subtle lightening.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 11:41:00 AM More reviews by TwiceBlessed

My new favorite line!!!! Hands down. I am a natural blonde, and not only does it help keep my roots in check (they grow in darker than the ends due to sun exposure), it makes my hair extremely soft and manageable. Added bonus! Love!!

Update 3/21: Ok, I still love this product for what it does for my HAIR, but what it does for my SCALP is another issue. After using this product for about 10 days, my scalp has become itchy, and almost feels like there are sores all over my head (there are not, I had my husband inspect, but that's just how it feels to me). I am going to discontinue for a week and see what happens. I don't know if it is an allergic reaction or what, but nothing else in my hair routine has changed. I am not the allergy-sensitve type, so I am more than a little confused by this....

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Very average, didn't notice any difference with it, not very moisturizing, a little better than the shampoo, I am going to try Renew conditioner next, I hope I have better luck with it, keeping dark beige blonde pretty is like a full time job since my natural color is dark brown.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2011 12:09:00 AM More reviews by tante_v

Color me surprised.

I bought this, hugely skeptical, as I've been using John Frieda blonding products off and on for years with little to no result. Well, this one has changed my mind, totally and completely. It works! I saw results in one use; I'm not kidding. Even my husband (who does not normally notice such things) saw that my hair looked lighter after the first time I used it.

Background: In my younger years, I had golden blonde, honey-colored hair. It got darker, the underside becoming a mousy light brown as I got older. I got highlights only one time, about 6 months ago. Since it was my first time, I deliberately went for something nondramatic, which would blend in with the color of the un-highlighted hair. The highlights looked good, but I was still disappointed. What I really wanted was an overall "lift" to all of my hair, without bleaching. This product makes that happen.

It doesn't color your hair; the best description I can give is that it lightens the lighter strands--for me, the highlights--more, and gives that lift in color to the rest. It's gradual; I've been using it for a week now, and the color change isn't dramatic, which I like. If it were the summer, it would like I've spent a lot of time on the beach. I am more than happy with this--way cheaper than highlights, since I spent less than $5 on it. I bought the shampoo today, so I'm looking forward to seeing if that speeds up the process. But I can say that if you're like me, a former blonde that naturally turned into a light brown, and looking for a lift without coloring, go for it.

Caveats: Yes, it is hard to wash out. I find that after rinsing thoroughly for several minutes, including in cooler water, it still feels like there's product left in my hair. I finally decided I couldn't spend any more time trying to rid my hair of that feeling (have to get to work!), so, when water squeezed from my hair looks clear, I have to say that's enough, and I find that it is. My hair doesn't look greasy, even if I'm not getting the squeaky clean feeling I'm used to when rinsing out other products. Really, it's a small sacrifice because: this works! I totally recommend trying this; even if it doesn't work for you, it's such a small investment.

Update: A year and a half later, I'm still buying this. I don't condition my hair every time I wash (see my review on Dove Noutrishing Oil for the days I don't use this) but this has made a noticeable difference in the lightening of my mousy blonde hair, in conjunction with the Go Blonder! shampoo. I still have the same issues where it takes forever to rinse out, so I've learned to use it sparingly and mostly on the bottom half/not scalp if I'm in a hurry.