November 24, 2014 | 2060 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by skylarbee4

My face has mild rosacea that is noticeable in pinkness around my cheeks, jaw, and some on my nose, I have kp around my jawline, some very mild freckles and sun damage, a tendency toward hormonal breakouts, and combination skin- oily, normal and SENSITIVE. This is my HG foundation! Since my skin reacts to everything, I like that JI products are free of nasty parabens, pthalates, preservatives, fillers and FD&C dyes- and as an added bonus have an spf rated highly by the American Cancer Society. Plus they are extremely water resistant, if I'm sweating or swimming, as long as I'm not wiping my face constantly- it stays on. Which doesn't mean that it's not easy to remove, I can use water and the Magic Mitt (also by JI) and it removes every last bit of it.

As for coverage, I've noticed that the loose powder offers more coverage, but is not quite as mattifying. So I either use an oil control primer or go over my nose and jaw lightly with the pressed base. By itself, the loose minerals cover up my redness perfectly, I use a light warm shade since I have a neutral/warm skin tone and I want to counteract the redness. The yellow undertones make my blotchiness disappear- without looking like a caked on mess! It looks like it's my skin, just better! It doesn't break out my skin as long as I wash it all off before bed.

Although the price can seem a little steep, I feel like I'm paying for something that above all works on my skin, is healthy for my skin, and actually helps to prevent new breakouts on my skin since the powder is inert- no bacteria can grow in it. (I keep my brushes clean though, because THOSE can cause breakouts!) All in all, I'm never using another brand of powder on my face ever again- unless other mineral makeups decide to get rid of their fillers (like talc) and sell me something that is pure and clean and undiluted.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by needhappyskin

I absolutely despise this line of products. I put them on only to be disappointed with the sheer coverage. Then, I literally watched three new pimples pop up a few hours after applications. As soon as I washed this makeup off my skin calmed down. Now, I am going makeup free. Super embarrassing but I just am terrified to touch makeup to my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by LGinata

Unlike my last two Jane Iredale reviews this product I actually liked. It has not given me any redness like the pressed base but then again it doesn't contain all the same ingredients. My only complaint is that it can look a little oily after a few hours and you might need to touch it up. Other than that is a pretty good product. I have Amazing Base® SPF 20 Light Beige. Which is perfect for my pale skin with pink undertones.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 2:11:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

In my ongoing search to replace my HG pressed powder foundation (EM), I received several samples of this product from Jane's website when I inquired about the pressed foundation.

ME: MAC = NC15; EM = Fairly Light; Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour = #100 Ivory; Revlon ColorStay = #150 Buff; Avon Smooth Minerals Pressed Foundation = T04 Nude. I'm in my mid 40s, slightly drier cheeks, slightly oiler t-zone, not super sensitive to breakouts, redness/slight rosacea on cheeks, nose, chin, several melasma spots.

This stuff performs like the pressed version = does a decent job as far as pigment if applied w/ a flat top brush (I use either my EM or SK), but if I want to completely cover my melasma and redness, I have to go over those areas w/ my damp Beauty Blender sponge. I do not apply under my eyes as a liquid concealer or foundation works better there. Also, I find it goes on easier and more even if applied over a primer (I use monistat.)

Bisque is a nice match for me. I always set my MU no matter what I"m wearing w/ UD All NIghter, but I did go 1 day w/out setting and I recall this foundation lasting about 7 hours w/ a need to blot my nose/chin 1x at 4 hours. W/ the UD = lasts from 6 am until 10:30 pm.

I won't re-purchase since IMO, EM loose performs better and is FAR less $$. However, it does doe a nice job so I gave it a 4.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by jrothkopf

I rarely write reviews, but I love Amazing Base! I'm 49 with an oily t-zone, but use a retinoid, so have some flakes, too. However, I use this over my Shiseido high ppa ss, and I look great.

You NEED to know that the loose powders are darker than the pressed, which is why some MMUers are upset about the color choices, I think. Call Jane Iredale to get some free samples (though they tend to send me ones that are way too dark, for some reason...) They'll send loose and pressed, if you're interested.

I'm pretty darn pale, but have a slight yellow undertone, and use Bisque in Amazing Base (perfection!) and Warm Silk in the pressed powder (not sure yet about this shade because I rarely use the pressed powder.)

I love how light and no-makeup-y it feels, and if I have more to cover up, I just spritz with Evian or Pomist, and then do another layer of powder, or use a concealer brush to apply the Amazing base more thickly on spots. I also like to apply it with a mini kabuki on troublesome red areas, as well. as her Chisel brush for a lighter more overall sweep of powder..

I feel more confident because I don't feel like I'm wearing makeup and it does a great job at covering redness!

The other day someone even said how pretty I was, and that I didn't even have a pimple! LOL!! They didn't even know I was wearing makeup. True love: my HG!!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/27/2012 2:11:00 AM More reviews by buffykaz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not a fan. I had a make up session done at a day spa and they used this product on me. It looked great and matched my skin tone really well so I bought some. Unfortunately after using it a couple of times I realised it was reacting with my skin. I had itcy red patches across my cheeks and temples. I know it was this products because it goes away when I stop using it. Very dissapointing for such and expensive product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2012 2:55:00 PM More reviews by cjenn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this mineral foundation so much, but honestly, I don't see much difference between this for $40 and L'oreal's $13 version. The wear is much longer than Bare Minerals and I love that this doesn't get oily as does the former. Looks very natural on and you can go lighter or heavier for evening. I do like this a lot, just wish they'd make a mineral foundation that would withstand water, oh well, won't hold my breadth.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 1:51:00 AM More reviews by JavaJunkie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think it's finally happened. I have actually found a mineral base I can love. I've been through all of them, and thought I was more or less resigned to PurMinerals, which is a great product, but I can't find a good shade for my skin. Enter Jane Iredale, and my search is likely over. BE makes my skin look like an oil slick, no matter which formula I use; Aromaleigh is too damn confusing and, again, the shades are not good to my skin. PurMinerals is probably the kindest to both skin and wallet, but Iredale's formula is the best. It has none of the astringent or chalky sensations I've experienced with the others, and it doesn't melt into a shiny, slick, muddy mess. It has the best shades, the best feel on my skin, and the lowest shine factor of any I've tried. I'm not in love with the price tag, and it doesn't seem to have the coverage I need sometimes, but it takes down my ruddiness fairly well. If I pair it with my tinted sunscreen, I'm in great shape for the day. It's got a lightweight feel to it, so I don't feel like I've trowelled on my makeup, and I feel less guilty about not taking it off at night. After the bajillions I've likely spent on my mineral quest, though, I don't feel so bad about buying a jar of this. It works the way I want it to, and that's good enough for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by rory13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I hate that I used BE for so long before finding this! Either BE changed their formula between my last two jars, or my skin just gave up on it. I was itching like mad and the pores by my nose looked like craters. My aesthetician recommended I try the Jane Iredale, and the color (light beige) matches me so perfectly it's like I'm not wearing makeup at all. It's incredible. I love the silky smoothness of the powder. It's much less "creamy" than BE, and because of this I find I need about half as much to look flawless. Seriously, it covers my redness AND makes my pores invisible (over my Mally primer). Yes, it's about $20 more than BE but I'm guessing it will last me twice as long.

If you have Irish skin (you know who you are), this is a no-brainer.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by Daffodil23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have this in Golden Glow. In terms of texture and coverage what I like is that it provides a even, natural looking coverage. I have acne scar and this does a decent job of covering them up. I dont expect this to make my scars dissapear especially with the kind of red acne scars I have, but it makes them much less visible without giving the appearence that I have applied makeup to hide them. It blends well in the skin. My complain is that this is a tad bit darker for my skin tone (I am Indian) but a shade lighter which is warm sienna is too light for my skin. Also, because of the dark color it makes my skin appear a little dull. So I have to mix this with Bare Minerals - Golden Medium which is a little bit lighter for my skin and combine them to make a shade that is closer to my skin tone. But the problem is Bare Minerals coverage is pretty cakey but till I dont find a mineral foundation that match and works better for my skin I will keep using this. I also wished that the jar had a click closure like the latest bare mineral jar cause it's not all travel friendly.