The Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask

3.4

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 5/9/2014 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I find this quite uncomfortable to use, it leaves my skin red and sensitive afterwards, sometimes even bumpy. Maybe it is too harsh for me. I cant say I have noticed it making a difference either.

on 4/4/2014 6:30:00 PM

I'm a HUGE fan of this mask, I use it once a week, sometimes every two weeks if I have a particularly busy weekend. I have combination skin, a very oily T-Zone and dry patches on my cheeks and I find that regular use of this product helps keep my face clear of breakouts and flaky skin. During the week I usually clean my face with Dove Beauty Bar and I moisturize with CereVe products (their night cream, SPF face cream and their undereye cream). When I do my facial, lately I've been using products from TBS's Seaweed line. I'll wash my face with the face wash, exfoliate with the facial exfoliator (and a washrag) and then I'll apply the Ionic Clay Mask. Sometimes before I apply the mask I will steam my face and apply TBS's Tea Tree Oil directly to my T-Zone if it's summer-time or my face has been particularly broken out or oily. Now, this mask can get pretty dry in the tub, I just make sure my face is still slightly damp and adding a little warm water while I'm applying it makes application simple and easy. I agree with the other reviewers, this does tend to sting a little, especially on the more sensitive areas around my nose and around my eyes. But it's not unbearable and the stinging usually goes away within a few minutes. I tend to apply it mainly on my T-Zone and more lightly on the cheek and jawline areas. I leave the mask on for about 10 to 15 minutes or completely dry and then rinse off and immediately follow with my CereVe PM moisturizer. Overall this product gets 2 thumbs up for me, I've purchased it several times and will continue to keep this in my regular facecare routine.

on 1/21/2014 8:00:00 PM

I surprised because of so many bad reviews on this product. To be honest, I admitted that this product burn your cheek when you apply it and feel rash when you wash it off. Terrible right?
- But it is an amazing product use to clear your nose's blackheads, I usually apply it on my nose only and sometimes my forehead if I want to really clear the dirt and oil on my T- zone. But however, I always use this together with the tea free mask, this clay mask on the nose and the tea free mask on the cheeks. It does amazing job on clearing your blackheads if you're looking for a product that really works for stubborn blackheads and clear oil, try this. I have combination/oily skin.

First off, the packaging itself is fantastic; easy to open with the screw top lid and easy to store. It's a pain to have to use fingers for application, as the clay dries quickly on fingers and thus results in a waste of quite a lot of the clay.

I would not recommend this mask to those who do not have time for a full 20 minute drying period plus shower and post-wash application, as all are necessary for the best results. The mask essentially dries out the face of all oils including good oils, and unless moisture is restored, the skin will produce more oils and result in breakouts.

I have used this product maybe 5 times but so far have not stuck to a routine of it, however, will aim to use it once a week as other reviews have suggested. I put on a fairly thin layer of the mask and left to dry for 20 minutes. Washed off in the face by gently rubbing in circles under hot water. Mask comes off quickly and easily; another bonus.

The mask does not clear up skin immediately; as other reviews have confirmed, I would suspect it takes a few uses in a regular routine to make massive improvements to skin. As the oils are drawn to the surface of the skin with the mask, a few whiteheads did appear but clear up quickly with whatever acne method you use. Initial redness in T-zone as acne inflamed, but calmed down with application of cold cloth (to close pores which open up in heat).

After shower, I dabbed at my face with a cold damp cloth to close the pores so that excess dirt does not enter pores, then applied The Body Shop Seaweed Pore Perfector followed by The Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Lotion to remoisturise (seaweed products are recommended by The Body Shop for combination/oily skin like mine). Though acne has not cleared up fully, skin is glowing, soft, colour is regular and pores tightened.

Very pricey as with all products from The Body Shop, but there are at least 10 uses in the jar so well worth the price, as one jar would clear up face nicely. Would not recommend if the product is not ideal to your skin type - mask stings slightly so with sensitive skin or very dry skin, would be incredibly painful and do more harm than good. Also designed to combat some oil, but even then does not fully dry out skin, so would not work well on very oily skin. Check your skin type with The Body Shop before purchasing, as it is very expensive and not worth the money if incompatible.

on 12/31/2013 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I bought this when The Body Shop were offering 50% off everything with free delivery and have used it 3 times (use it once a week). So far, I'm very happy with it - it's definitely deep cleansing and my skin really tingles once the mask has been applied. It's not uncomfortable but I'd imagine it would sting if you have sensitive skin.

I feel this does a great job at removing excess oil from the pores and I can see, once the mask has dried, that there are tiny spots all over my nose and forehead where the oil has been sucked out.

My skin feels amazing after I remove the mask - glowing and smooth and I've noticed a tiny improvement in the visibility of my pores but not a great deal. However, I have genetics to thank for that so as long as I can keep my pores cleansed and free of gunk, I'm happy.

I've only given 3 lippies for the price and I doubt I'd repurchase this at the full price but next time there is a 50% sale I'll definitely stock up!

on 12/9/2013 4:45:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have combination skin. I am used to have acne in T-zone. When Acne appears, I use it that reduces my acne everytime I use. Love it so much.

on 12/5/2013 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've gone through one tub of this and I just bought my second. :)

I originally bought it because it said "seaweed" and I had heard that seaweed was very beneficial for skin when in the form of a mask.

It's a simple, moist mask that looks suspiciously akin to mud. The smell is clean and distinct: you will recognize this smell almost instantly. The mask will dry out if left exposed to open air, so be sure that you secure the lid properly after every use.

The product comes in a simple round tub with a screw-on lid. It can be difficult to open the lid once you've used this product a few times, as the product tends to get into the grooves and dry, thus preventing the lid from opening easily.

The product itself goes on wet and dries after approximately twenty minutes regardless of how much or little product you apply to a damp face. I have noticed that it can burn if your face is already raw, so I wouldn't recommend using this if you have sensitive skin or a sunburn. It is definitely not a healing mask. It's a serious cleansing mask, which leaves your skin free of oil and does actually help with blackheads. It isn't going to remove your blackheads overnight, but after a month or more of usage, I have noticed a distinct difference in my skin. This product does not cause break outs and will leave your skin feeling incredibly soft and clean.

Overall, I hate the packaging. It's cheap and difficult to open once you get about half way through the product. The product itself is fantastic, but you should only use it about once a week. I'm going to continue to repurchase, because this is my favorite mask.

on 11/22/2013 3:10:00 PM

I found this to be a very harsh product. I wouldn't class myself as having sensitive skin, but this mask had a burning sensation and when I removed it, after just 5 minutes, it looked like I had been sunbathing with sunglasses on. On the plus side, my skin does feel smoother than usual.

on 6/13/2013 9:25:00 AM

I love this product! I must admit that this product is quiet harsh so I would only use it once a week and no more. I have oily/combination skin and I feel like every time I use this it really absorbs all the unnecessary oils and dirt out of my face and leaves my face feeling incredibly clean. When the mask dries you can literally see wet dots all over your nose, which I'm assuming is all the oils stuck in your pores. Its so gross but very satisfying because I feel like I can literally see the effect straight away while using it. On top of that I love the scent. Its so fresh.

on 6/13/2013 12:57:00 AM

Didn't love this mask. I found that it REALLY stung my face as it dried and that's not something I usually experience with most masks. It also didn't do very much for my skin. I noticed that after a few months the product had dried up too much to really be useable which was pretty much just as well since I didn't have any huge desire to continue using it.

Popular Masks