Coppertone Coppertone Water Babies Pure and Simple, Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50

3.9

PPD: 6.7 ||| Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5%, Zinc Oxide 14.5%. Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alcohol Benzoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, PEG 12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Diazolidiny Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride.

on 7/10/2012 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I give this suncreen a 3. It's okay, not bad;good in fact, but not the ultimate best.

Let's start with the packaging. I normally don't judge a product by how it's packaged but this one deserves comment. The packaging is pretty crappy(i gave it a 2). The bottle is pink, with a blue labeled strip across it and a blue flip top cap. The hole for this sunscreen to come out is dead in the center of the cap, and since it's oval shaped it's awkward to get the ss out without getting it on the bottle or elsewhere unless you have this product inverted directly pointing down. Because the product is so liquidy(is that even a word?) it'll get around the cap a lot. the cap (the entire cap) comes off easily, so i dont know how well this would travel, honestly i'd expect it to get everywhere if it's not shut properly and securely.
Anyway onto the product, its a very liquid lotion, easily rubbed into the skin. Although it has no added fragrance, it has that traditional coppertone scent. i kinda like it. It reminds *me* of the beach and youthful sun activities. it contains a few silicones to make it water resistant, so it's good for being in the water, but make sure that if you use this on your face that none of the ingredients are triggers for your acne and that you properly remove this at the end of the day. It contains zinc oxide (a hefty amount 14.5% and octisalate 5% and octionxate 7.5% for UVB protection, you will likely not burn if you wear the proper amount of this, but getting color who knows . the zinc is the only form of UVA protection and ss simulator rates this about PPD 8.5) The sunscreen as i already mentioned, is easily rubbed into the skin but it leaves a heavy white cast if used in the proper amount, and fades about 30 minutes later to a slight white cast, so it needs some work on coppertone's part, but hey it's marketed toward children who generally don't really care about cosmetic elegance. i must comment that the white cast is far less than what shiseido's cream--see my review on that-- leaves (geisha mask) It never fully dries down either, to feel like bare skin, so leave your sweaters, cardigans, and pants at home if you wear this but it's passable though. The rub off on clothes isnt colored but more like greasy slightly filmy. kind of like if you put too much lotion on. It gives decent protection but not the best. I would probably make this my everyday ss it's easy to wear this summer, since im in shorts and a shirt all day anyway. or "last minute run-out-the-door sunscreen" if i forgot my more protective lrp dermo peds(god forbid). or my share-with-others sunscreen at the beach . For a day out or a day at the beach i would use this on others but maybe not me, i'm extremely sun phobic and sensitive to the sun, i will not go outside without sunscreen, and hate getting color, so naturally i look for the most protective sunscreen i can get. so i use lrp dermo peds(for beach only) with a ppd of 39, compared to 8.5 with this. i digress
It's very affordable, you get 8oz for about 10 bucks full retail, if you shop around at discount stores like wal-mart or other stores when they have sales you might be able to get this for 8 or 9. definitely affordable compared to paying 20 for 3oz of bioderma or 35 for 1.5oz of japanese ss. I haven't tried this on my face yet but i might, the reason i dont is because my face ss is already very protective.
Overall thoughts, decent protection, good for US, but not great (compared to euro ss). The finish needs work as do most ss. Very affordable so you don't cringe when you use this liberally. I'll make this my everyday lounge ss for body until i find something better. Definitely will repurchase and would recommend to others looking for a good zinc ss. Oh btw to remove this (and any ss on my body) i use eucerin shower oil

on 7/8/2012 11:45:00 PM

There is no perfect sunscreen out there yet, either it is too white, too oily, or it has alcohol in it! That's why my rating for this one s still a 5. I have been using Coppertone Water Babies Pure and Simple for 2 years. I first saw it in the US and when I read the ingredient list, I bought it. This sunscreen protects really well and is cheap. I also use it on my face (mostly on weekends when I'm out all day). When you apply it, it leaves your face really white - I always apply a generous amount - and you can only hope that nobody rings the doorbell. The trick is that you must give it time to absorb, this takes about 30 min. All sunscreens should be applied 30 min prior to going outside. Once it is absorbed, I dust a bit of Physicians Formula Healthy Skin SPF 50 powder on my face and I am good to go. I will purchase this forever or until a miracle physical sunscreen comes out that takes 1 minute to absorb . Coppertone, you should make this product available in Canada!

on 6/24/2012 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I got this today because it was on sale and I had $1 off coupon,ended up being $6 USD. Cheap! I this formula reminds me of Shiseido's spf 60 for face and body, but minus the burn around the eyes. I didnt wait for it to dry, i just dusted over the top with some loose powder (Physicians Formula Airbrushed Loose Powder in Translucent Light) and it looks really nice. Not too matte, but not greasy. I can not tell how much sun protection it is yet, i have not properly tested. I do like the thinner consistancy and the best part about this product is the high Titanium and Zinc Oxides. Love it! Been looking for a decent physical sunscreen that is affordable. All sunscreens make me look greasy, but if i dust with a little mineral make up it sets just fine. I just cant wear black when i dust my arms with the mineral makeup, but i dont really wear black in the summer anyways. Its unusual for me to put a ss that is higher than 30 spf for my face (i dont like so many unnecessary chemicals on my face) but I really need to up my spf game because i am going through a round of glycolic peels and do use retin A.
I hope this keeps me nice and pale, i really like the way it feels and how it doesn't sting my eyes.

on 6/19/2012 5:05:00 PM

LADIES THAT FRECKLE IN THE SUN! please read

So I recently had some IPL laser treatments done on my face to reverse the signs of sun damage (im only 25 but an extremely prone to freckling on the face) My dermie told me that any SPF i wear needs to be at least 9% Zinc Oxide to prevent sun spots and freckles.

This is the absolute best priced, quality and quantity of 14% zinc oxide sun screen on the market (unless you want to by 1.2 oz of shishedo)

I must admit. It does leave you a bit white, but take the time to completely rub it in and the 'whiteness' will go away - otherwise your left with an ashy appearance. It's a little greasy as well. Generally, I apply, rub in and let it set for a few minutes then blot with a tissue and im good to go.

I would not use this product if I wasn't concerned about freckling.
Its good stuff though, hypo-allergic, non-scented and extremely gentle on the facial skin.

I will buy again!

on 5/19/2012 12:59:00 AM

I just bought this last week because of all the great reviews. I am very fair skinned, so I use sunblock daily and was hoping this would be a good one for my face. Unfortunately this left a really noticeable white cast on my skin due to the physical protection. I put it on and expected it to sink in after awhile. I walked past the mirror half an hour later and still looked like a mime. You can rub it in and that helps some, but as someone else mentioned this lowers the protection factor. Granted, this product is not meant for your face but it made the rest of my skin super white as well. I'm sure this would protect my skin effectively, but I will be looking for something else.

on 8/8/2011 2:58:00 PM

The formula for this product is identical to that of Coppertone's Sensitive Skin Lotion SPF 50. I find that this leaves a slight white cast, which I don't mind since my skin is pretty fair. The sunscreen doesn't leave my skin completely matte and isn't too hard to wash off. I'd definitely repurchase this over the Shiseido SPF 55 sunscreen since I'm not too keen on purchasing a separate cleanser just to remove it.
I paid around $10 for a 6 ounce bottle while I paid $35 for a 2 ounce tube of Shiseido's sunscreen. Well, both sunscreens are very effective, I just can't afford to shell out over fifty dollars every time I need a new sunscreen and cleansing oil in college :D

on 7/15/2011 11:39:00 PM

While I can't vouch for the efficacy of this product for its presumed intended use (e.g., babies in water), I can report that it is not suitable as a sunscreen for an active adult. I'm always looking for effective sunscreens containing a minimum number of chemicals, and thought this might be worth a try. I've now applied this on my neck and arms about a half dozen times within the past few weeks, with repeatedly disappointing results. It sweated off within minutes of me stepping out of the house and ended up leaving greasy white smears on my skin, clothing, and even my dog's fur. Although clearly not sweat-resistant, it has proved to be water and laundry detergent-resistant and I had to purchase a special enzyme-based stain remover to salvage a shirt and a backpack. Needless to say, I've ended my experiment with this sunscreen. Granted, I live where the summers are hot and humid, but the melt factor of this product was ridiculous.

on 7/10/2011 2:03:00 PM

A MUST for long days at the lake. You will return home as pale as you left. Because of the large % of zinc, you can be pretty sloppy about application and still net lasting protection. I bought this as a cheaper alternative to Shiseido's SPF 50, which also contains 14% zinc oxide. However, the Shiseido stuff is way pricier, way yuckier (very greasy residue), and has a strong, unpleasant fragrance. So Coppertone wins this round.

on 6/4/2011 1:36:00 PM

I know, I know we are supposed to use sunscreen to protect our skin from premature aging everyday. And everything I read says that we should use something with an spf of 30 or higher. So why is it that every facial moisterizer and coverup I find (that is oil free and has spf) only has an spf of 15 or 20?! So I finally accepted that fact that I wasn't going to get enough coverage out of my makeup or moitsterizer. And I found this. It is oil free, fragrance free, dye free, and has spf 50. It is perfect for my sensitve, acne prone skin. I use it under my makeup and it actually makes a nice base for my makeup. Totally recommend to anyone looking for a good facial sunscreen.

on 8/23/2010 10:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I just got back from a major waterpark from 12-5 pm, with no hat, shade, or breaks from the water. I am a very pale girl with blue eyes and blonde hair. I applied one coat when we arrived, and about applied again midway. I was wearing a small monokini and my legs, sides, and back NEVER see the sun(they are ghost white). I can tell you that this protected me all day. It was like wearing a blanket in the sun. Not only did I not burn, I can't even tell I got any sun at all, anywhere on my body. The best part is that it is completely waterproof, so even though I stayed wet on the rides, I never had to worry.

I don't know why I quit using this product 2 years ago. I used it during a visit to the Gulf with my family, and I stayed ghost white that summer, even while being on the beach all day. It can be a little tricky to apply, because it is thick, white, and somewhat difficult to rub in, but it is worth it.

This is going back to being my daily protection. I have been using Banana Boat and with that product my arms still get sun during my daily commute to work.