July 30, 2014 | 2092 users online

Skincare - Face - Coastal Scents - African Black Soap

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2012 1:07:00 AM More reviews by BeautBetty

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use a different brand but I love ABS. Do not buy the fake stuff at Walmart. But the liquid Target Shea Organics is good
BUT I would never use the Clarisonic
see goosmakeupartist on you tube on use of clarisonic. To me this aggavates any skin-oily, sensitive, dry, with acne.
There are some very soft manual brushes out there is you want a bit more.
I also often use a clean olay cloth. I use the cloth to take makeup off, wash and then use with ABS and works very well ( with this and any othe cleanser), then dispose of the cloth, it has jsut enough roughness to exfoliate
CORRECTION ON 7-16-2012
THE BRAND AT TARGET IS SHEA MOISTURE, NOT THE ONE I MENTIONED ABOVE

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this soap for about a year. At first, I absolutely loved it. I used it twice a day, and while it did sting my skin slightly (if I left it on too long, especially) I noticed a dramatic difference in the softness and clarity of my skin. Lately, if this product comes into contact with my lips, it burns and I end up with those pesky red allergy bumps and redness/tightness for a few days.

I loved this so much, and I used it religiously for so long, I hope this is something that will pass. I try to suck my lips in when I wash my face, but the last time it burned so much I've been taking a break from it.

I've even used this with my Clarisonic.

The product also lasts a LIFETIME. The huge block I got lasted me about a year, and I'm a little less than half way into my second.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by groovymutation

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using ABS for the past month, and it's been amazing. I had acne and folliculitis on my chest and shoulders, and it's completely gone. (Note: I'd paired ABS with benzoyl peroxide treatment, but I only used the benzoyl peroxide maybe once a week, whereas I used the ABS + a Korean towel 2-3 times a week. I was using the BP before and didn't notice a difference until I added ABS.)
Be careful not to keep the ABS chunks in your shower, as they'll dissolve quickly. I keep mine in my room + a knife to slice off the per-shower chunks -- though I should probably change that, as my friend commented that at first she thought I had a moldy sandwich on my desk!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Last year I bought this Black Soap from Coastal Scents, however I did get rid of it. I would break a piece off & make a bar out of it & store it in a soap dish until I realized that was a bad idea. It stained my tub & soap dish. It was extremely drying on my skin & my skin just kept burning & turned red every time I used it. Last month I was back on Coastal Scents & saw the made it in a liquid version. I had to try it & I'm glad I did. The liquid version is so much neater, it's not as drying or harsh to the skin & right after washing any pimples you have literally turn into white heads are gone the next day. Sometimes I still feel it is a little harsh on the skin & I don't know how long I will continue use but I do see it being good for acne.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 9:18:00 PM More reviews by lilblue10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

So last year i bought the original black soap that is sold on Coastal Scents which is this one.I liked it, it wasnt bad at all but it didnt do anything extraordinary I mean it did what any regular face cleanser would do.I had bought this soap cause i have acne and my face is oily and i heard it was good for that but it wasnt,i mean it didnt make things worst but it didnt help either ! So after i used up the original one, i saw there was a new one called Tama Black Soap which is also sold on Coastal Scents website so i thought why not give it a try its not even 4$ ! BEST IDEA IVE EVER HAD ! It makes my skin sooo soft,my acne is not as bad as its used to be and my pores are so much smaller !!! I dont know whats different with this one but i dont care as long as it keeps working !

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by cheeseguts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the only facewash I ever use! I've used many different kinds from cheap drugstore brands to natural burts bees/alba to pricey-er shiseido and french soaps. I have combination skin. If I don't use moisturizer my skin gets very flaky, however my forehead gets very oily. (Sometimes, I don't wash my face and it actually clears up more! haha) However, when I use this soap, my breakouts go dowwnnnn. I stopped using it for a while just because I got lazy, but then I started up a regular habit of cleaning with this soap, morning right after waking up and night before sleep. My skin became so smooth and pimple free... I love the squeaky clean feeling you get. Sometimes I do breakout though - it's not a 100% guarantee for me. It's very rare though. It is usually during my period and that's only like one pimple. The soap also lasts forever.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2011 1:46:00 AM More reviews by korieanjool

I had such high hopes for this soap after reading so many great reviews. After my back acne cleared up with Dr Bronner's, I thought I was rid of it for good. After I used the African black soap, it's back again.
I don't like how my skin feels squeaky with this soap. Clean is good, but not so squeaky clean that all moisture is gone from my skin.
I also tried it on my hair.. WORST DECISION EVER. The next few days I swear my hair was covered in dandruff, what the hell. Never doing that again.
The only thing that's stopping me from giving it 1 star is that it's an alright clarifying soap for my face (I took a huge risk putting it on my face) I use it maybe 2 times a week and it's not too bad, but I have to slather on aloe vera butter on my face to stop it from feeling so dry.
The soap itself it kind of hard to store, I leave it in the shower in a draining soap container but the bottom part kind of melts and sticks to the container.
Also when it dries this white mold like stuff coats the outside. I'm not sure if it's mold, but I'm not taking chances!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2011 11:24:00 AM More reviews by Kidlike

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Why didn't you get this yet???

I seriously wish someone had directed me to this product years ago, it leaves your skin super clean and feeling so good!

when I first started using it I was a little worried.

1. there is hardly any bubbles/leather so you think you're not doing it right but that's how natural soaps are
2. my face is dry and this drys it even further

but in time I noticed that the dryness lasts minutes only once you get used to it, it never causes flaky dry skin (which I'm prone to with other soaps) so just use your normal lotion after.

one thing I LOVE about this product is how it really removes any remaining make up I have, seriously that's deep cleaning! and it really helped with those nasty black heads in my nose area =D

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2011 9:55:00 AM More reviews by aleung88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought 1lb for 12.99 back in April, and I'm just about 1/3 of the way through, 6 months later. I love this soap because it's lasting me forever and it gets my skin super clean, with that really satisfyingly squeaky feeling, and is also extremely portable for trips. I just take a small chunk with me and whatever I can't finish, I won't bring back...I have so much of it sitting in my washroom I won't feel bad about it either!

It's true that it is a little bit on the drying side, but that's perfect for my combination and fairly sensitive skin. I just pat dry and immediately put on a water-based serum to seal in the moisture.

I'm a bit of a product junkie, but since buying this soap, I've noticed my compulsion to try new cleansers has diminished to almost none at all; I just think of all the ABS still on my counter and how amazing it's cleaned my skin, and I know I don't need anything else! One thing it doesn't do, or at least, I don't want to try, is cleaning my eye makeup with it. With all the bits of stuff in it, I'd rather stick with a gentle eye makeup remover.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2011 12:20:00 AM More reviews by theycallmetrex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff works amazing, but it is SUPER drying (my skin is oily in T zone and not sensitive at all). But if you get a good moisturizer you will be fine. At first i didn't have a good moisturizer and my skin was like peeling off like a snake :( ANYWAY........ yeah so i used an empty bottle with a pump on it that makes cleanser come out like foam and i filled it with water and dissolved chunks of the ABS in it then added like 30 drops of tea tree oil to the mixture because that is the best thing in the world for clearing up acne or just keeping your skin clear and glowing. Well that little concoction that i invented works wonders it's probably my favorite cleanser ever. My skin has never looked better it's clear smooth and glowing :-D

PS i gave a 3 for packaging bc it comes wrapped in cellophane and looks like it came from the black market. but i mean i don't care about packaging at all ...all i care about is how well it works......and this has worked better than anything that came wrapped up all fancy and with pretty labels.

<3 this stuff so much. and if you read this far I will say that you should get pure tea tree oil available at all vitamin stores and a lot of grocery stores too. it works better than anything ive ever tried (and ive tried it all) to clear up acne. i just figured i'd say something bc most people who visit this page want the ABS to cure acne

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No