October 31, 2014 | 1188 users online

Skincare - Face - Coastal Scents - African Black Soap

rated 1 of 5 on 12/24/2012 4:34:00 PM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

This 'version' is not for everyone. I usually get my pure back soap from a Muslim store where I live. It looks and smells like pure African black soap that you get anywhere else. My store version is the only version that I have used that does not sting when I use it and it's from one store. I've tried other stores around the area (there are a LOT of Muslim stores where I buy it) but I've come to realize that they are not all selling the same stuff even though it looks and ghey caim it is just the same. The soap I buy is much softer and crumblier and super gentle on the skin without drying it out.
Coastal Scents stung like a mofo, so much so that the skin on my face was BURNT and started to peel off excessively as soon as I washed it off as if I had a sunburn or like the skin or your scalp does when you keep a perm on for too long (chemical burn). A week later the skin on my lips and hairline was still peeling off. I couldn't even wear lip gloss. In it's defense though I have tried other stores versions such as Nasaab in Brooklyn and Madina and they too had the same effect, Madinas more so, which had specks of something red in it. If you do find that this soap doesn't agree with you instead of throwing it out grate it, boil or leave it sitting in hot water until it melts and use 2-3 cups in a large load of your washing. It's amazing washing detergent. It washed just as good as laundry liquid and leaves no trace of that 'earthy' scent when the wash is done. Only the black soap that's harsh on your skin works well though. I tried it with my better black soap and it left the clothes soft but didn't wash them too well. I predict from my one pound of harsh black soap that I'll be using it until next January as it lasts such a long time. That's a great deal for $15 when I go through a $15 bottle of laundry detergent in 2 months.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by JadoreNelle

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this! I use this all over my body and on my face. Some may notice a purging period when using this soap. As in, your skin purges all the nasty stuff out of your pores which then may cause a couple break outs. Totally worth it and it clears up in days. I rub some on my hands and use a facial brush to exfoliate. After using the brush I massage the soap into my skin, then rinse. My skin feels so smooth! It may be a tad bit drying, like 99% of soaps, but a little face cream or lotion will take care of that. I only wish it came in pre-sliced bars instead of a 1lb brick.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2012 1:07:00 AM More reviews by BeautBetty

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use a different brand but I love ABS. Do not buy the fake stuff at Walmart. But the liquid Target Shea Organics is good
BUT I would never use the Clarisonic
see goosmakeupartist on you tube on use of clarisonic. To me this aggavates any skin-oily, sensitive, dry, with acne.
There are some very soft manual brushes out there is you want a bit more.
I also often use a clean olay cloth. I use the cloth to take makeup off, wash and then use with ABS and works very well ( with this and any othe cleanser), then dispose of the cloth, it has jsut enough roughness to exfoliate
CORRECTION ON 7-16-2012
THE BRAND AT TARGET IS SHEA MOISTURE, NOT THE ONE I MENTIONED ABOVE

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this soap for about a year. At first, I absolutely loved it. I used it twice a day, and while it did sting my skin slightly (if I left it on too long, especially) I noticed a dramatic difference in the softness and clarity of my skin. Lately, if this product comes into contact with my lips, it burns and I end up with those pesky red allergy bumps and redness/tightness for a few days.

I loved this so much, and I used it religiously for so long, I hope this is something that will pass. I try to suck my lips in when I wash my face, but the last time it burned so much I've been taking a break from it.

I've even used this with my Clarisonic.

The product also lasts a LIFETIME. The huge block I got lasted me about a year, and I'm a little less than half way into my second.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by groovymutation

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using ABS for the past month, and it's been amazing. I had acne and folliculitis on my chest and shoulders, and it's completely gone. (Note: I'd paired ABS with benzoyl peroxide treatment, but I only used the benzoyl peroxide maybe once a week, whereas I used the ABS + a Korean towel 2-3 times a week. I was using the BP before and didn't notice a difference until I added ABS.)
Be careful not to keep the ABS chunks in your shower, as they'll dissolve quickly. I keep mine in my room + a knife to slice off the per-shower chunks -- though I should probably change that, as my friend commented that at first she thought I had a moldy sandwich on my desk!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Last year I bought this Black Soap from Coastal Scents, however I did get rid of it. I would break a piece off & make a bar out of it & store it in a soap dish until I realized that was a bad idea. It stained my tub & soap dish. It was extremely drying on my skin & my skin just kept burning & turned red every time I used it. Last month I was back on Coastal Scents & saw the made it in a liquid version. I had to try it & I'm glad I did. The liquid version is so much neater, it's not as drying or harsh to the skin & right after washing any pimples you have literally turn into white heads are gone the next day. Sometimes I still feel it is a little harsh on the skin & I don't know how long I will continue use but I do see it being good for acne.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 9:18:00 PM More reviews by lilblue10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

So last year i bought the original black soap that is sold on Coastal Scents which is this one.I liked it, it wasnt bad at all but it didnt do anything extraordinary I mean it did what any regular face cleanser would do.I had bought this soap cause i have acne and my face is oily and i heard it was good for that but it wasnt,i mean it didnt make things worst but it didnt help either ! So after i used up the original one, i saw there was a new one called Tama Black Soap which is also sold on Coastal Scents website so i thought why not give it a try its not even 4$ ! BEST IDEA IVE EVER HAD ! It makes my skin sooo soft,my acne is not as bad as its used to be and my pores are so much smaller !!! I dont know whats different with this one but i dont care as long as it keeps working !

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by cheeseguts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the only facewash I ever use! I've used many different kinds from cheap drugstore brands to natural burts bees/alba to pricey-er shiseido and french soaps. I have combination skin. If I don't use moisturizer my skin gets very flaky, however my forehead gets very oily. (Sometimes, I don't wash my face and it actually clears up more! haha) However, when I use this soap, my breakouts go dowwnnnn. I stopped using it for a while just because I got lazy, but then I started up a regular habit of cleaning with this soap, morning right after waking up and night before sleep. My skin became so smooth and pimple free... I love the squeaky clean feeling you get. Sometimes I do breakout though - it's not a 100% guarantee for me. It's very rare though. It is usually during my period and that's only like one pimple. The soap also lasts forever.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2011 1:46:00 AM More reviews by korieanjool

I had such high hopes for this soap after reading so many great reviews. After my back acne cleared up with Dr Bronner's, I thought I was rid of it for good. After I used the African black soap, it's back again.
I don't like how my skin feels squeaky with this soap. Clean is good, but not so squeaky clean that all moisture is gone from my skin.
I also tried it on my hair.. WORST DECISION EVER. The next few days I swear my hair was covered in dandruff, what the hell. Never doing that again.
The only thing that's stopping me from giving it 1 star is that it's an alright clarifying soap for my face (I took a huge risk putting it on my face) I use it maybe 2 times a week and it's not too bad, but I have to slather on aloe vera butter on my face to stop it from feeling so dry.
The soap itself it kind of hard to store, I leave it in the shower in a draining soap container but the bottom part kind of melts and sticks to the container.
Also when it dries this white mold like stuff coats the outside. I'm not sure if it's mold, but I'm not taking chances!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2011 11:24:00 AM More reviews by Kidlike

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Why didn't you get this yet???

I seriously wish someone had directed me to this product years ago, it leaves your skin super clean and feeling so good!

when I first started using it I was a little worried.

1. there is hardly any bubbles/leather so you think you're not doing it right but that's how natural soaps are
2. my face is dry and this drys it even further

but in time I noticed that the dryness lasts minutes only once you get used to it, it never causes flaky dry skin (which I'm prone to with other soaps) so just use your normal lotion after.

one thing I LOVE about this product is how it really removes any remaining make up I have, seriously that's deep cleaning! and it really helped with those nasty black heads in my nose area =D