November 26, 2014 | 1768 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by giggles292

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

There is nothing special about this moisturizer. I only used it at night since it is too heavy and thick for daytime use. The pros about this moisturizer is It didn't make me break out and I like the mild scent; However the cons about this product are: 1.too expensive for a mediocre moisturizer 2. Makes my eyes water if it gets anywhere near them 3. Unsanitary twist top jar and 4. Philosophy is not a cruelty free brand. I wouldn't repurchase this and I feel like people only buy this product because of the brand name.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Catet91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I can't get past the smell. The texture isn't pleasant either as it is very thin and filmy. Yuck!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by Angelitica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this product so much, but it is just the worst for my skin. I don't mind the smell, but if I get it anywhere near my eyes they start to tear up and my skin started sweating profusely after I applied this. Just. No.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by loobyl

Bought this is Gatwick airport with a small cleanser. Only need a small amount as it spreads well. Feels greasy at first but soon soaks in and leaves skin matt. My skin is quite greasy even though I.,m nearly 49 so I donīt need to add any extra oil and this seems to help keep the grease at bay. Would buy again . Comes in a 60ml jar which gives you 10ml more than the majority of face creams that come in 50ml jars.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Jennuwn

I am a person who is continually trying to find a good moisturizer. I am acne prone and I have oily skin. My skin has been terrible to me this winter. It's a combo of oily, dry, and break out prone. But This moisturizer, wow, so far so good! Weirdly enough, it hasn't broken me out. Yet Iv read others broke out on this. My skin can get scaly in some areas and this was moisturizing enough to clear these areas after three days! Only down side is It does have a very strong citrus smell, almost like orange oil. It absorbed so well though. I have only a sample size of this and am going to purchase the full size.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

sorry to say i hated this moisturizer. like a lot of reviewers i found it irritating and foul smelling.

after testing a sample for two days i developed a very annoying rash of small itchy red lumps over my lower cheeks, and a week later i still had some residual blotches. my skin isn't super-sensitive by any means, and i've never had this kind of reaction before, so this cream must have something seriously irritating in it - at least to a percentage of the population.

WHY DOES HOPE IN A JAR SMELL SO BAD?

and then there's the smell. when i say it's foul smelling, i don't mean it's mildly offensive, i mean it's genuinely revolting.
if i hadn't known it was fresh, i could easily have believed the sample i was using was the most rancid sample ever.

out of curiosity i googled 'why does hope in a jar smell so bad" and got 725,000 hits, so obviously there's a real issue here, and reading the reviews, it's clear that many reviewers struggle to convey how awful the cream smells.

on the other hand it's also clear that many reviewers have little or no problem with the way the cream smells, saying it has no smell, or it smells like flowers ... and that's pretty confusing. how can there be such a serious difference of opinion between the haters and everyone else?
when some reviewers can't imagine why others would object to the smell of the cream, and don't understand what all the fuss is about, and other reviewers find the smell so repulsive they can't imagine why anyone would want it on their face, you just know something has to be going on ;-)

i'm not an expert in this area but i understand the ability to detect certain odours is genetically determined.
for example, some people can smell freesias, and some people can't. i can smell them, and i love their scent, but those who can't smell them probably don't understand why they're admired so much.

similarly, only half the population can smell a hormone called androstenone (which is a steroid found in male and female sweat and urine, male pig saliva, and celery).
of those who can smell it, 30% find the smell ok or even nice ('pleasant', 'sweet' or 'similar to vanilla') but 70% find it absolutely foul ('stale urine').
that's quite a range of different responses to one chemical.

maybe some ingredient in hope in a jar is subject to this kind of effect? perhaps the serious difference of opinion about the way the cream smells occurs because some people are smelling something that other people can't?
this could explain why there are reviewers that hate the smell, and reviewers that don't understand why.

for those of you who are getting lavender or sour milk, count your blessings. sadly for me and others like me, who are smelling something far more disturbing, this truly is the sweaty armpit of moisturisers ;-)

so what have i learned?
answer: always check MUA before trying new skincare.
despite the rave reviews (and they can't all be due to the oprah effect), at the time of writing this review, the product is only rated 2.8 / 39% across 1,659 reviews.
that's pretty low, and shows there's more haters than lovers, so given that there's plenty of product options out there, and no reason to waste time on potentially problematic products like this one, i should have just ditched the sample and moved on, and avoided the whole unpleasant experience ;-)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2014 1:36:00 AM More reviews by whatthehype

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Black

So i was intrigued by all the hype about this moisturiser and how the brand has an image of being pure. But why does it cost so much (including the purity cleanser) as it is suppose to be "pure" plus it has so many ingridents in both those products. Off the bat, it has the exact same smell as hair dye. Literally! It irriated my nose andcaused my eye some pain from the smell. (Made my partner very worried) im still in pain like an allergy to the smell. The smell is potent and i usually dont get irritated by smells from moisturises and this one i can still smell after applying it for over an hour.
On the plus side it sinks into my skin well and doesnt feel like im touching moisturiser on my face. I have dry skin and this feels nice. Its thick and slippery when applied but after it feel like skin without thw residue. But is it really worth the price ans smell? Absolutely not. Im sure i can find better ones with same great result without the price and smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2014 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Raven01

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There is a slight smell but it doesn't linger I'm over 60 yrs old acne prone STILL ugh fair and sensitive This product is HG for me Never has broken me out like heavier creams and my face is soft and moisturized I use PC BHA 2% and her 8%AHA to keep my skin clear alternating night and day use Twice daily HIAJ morning and night I have noticed a huge improvement in my skin and now only use a light dusting of Bare Minerals sheer veil You just have to see what works for you I've spent huge $$$ over the years and this works for me Don't give up! There's something out there that works for you Keep trying the sample sizes until you hit the right ones for you for me HIAJ is great and I love it

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Emdelgatto

I got a travel size from Sephora and I am so glad I didn't spend big bucks on this. I have fair sensitive skin and thought this would be ok to use. NO! At application I felt tingly/stinging on my face, not super uncommon. Within an hour my whole face was itchy. I cleaned my face and figured that would do it. 24 hours later I am still applying calamine lotion. My face broke out to what it similar to poison ivy. It is itchy, bumpy, red, and swollen! I hope I don't scar. This was a no makeup day, so I know the breakout was from HIAJ. I have read from a lot of reviews online that the ingredient Lavender Oil may be the culprit. Beware and do a test patch!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2014 4:36:00 AM More reviews by knitsnbytes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this as a beauty tube item and it surprised me. It's a light, whipped cream that seems to have a lot of water mixed into it. When you apply it, it melts onto the face and feels almost wet. Then it absorbs. As such, it doesn't seem to work well on a moist face. I don't detect much of a fragrance.

It works well for a summer moisturizer--I apply it all over face and down neck and chest area. For winter, I wouldn't rely on it. But I do like it and I reach for it continually in the summer.