October 23, 2014 | 2155 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

sorry to say i hated this moisturizer. like a lot of reviewers i found it irritating and foul smelling.

after testing a sample for two days i developed a very annoying rash of small itchy red lumps over my lower cheeks, and a week later i still had some residual blotches. my skin isn't super-sensitive by any means, and i've never had this kind of reaction before, so this cream must have something seriously irritating in it - at least to a percentage of the population.

WHY DOES HOPE IN A JAR SMELL SO BAD?

and then there's the smell. when i say it's foul smelling, i don't mean it's mildly offensive, i mean it's genuinely revolting.
if i hadn't known it was fresh, i could easily have believed the sample i was using was the most rancid sample ever.

out of curiosity i googled 'why does hope in a jar smell so bad" and got 725,000 hits, so obviously there's a real issue here, and reading the reviews, it's clear that many reviewers struggle to convey how awful the cream smells.

on the other hand it's also clear that many reviewers have little or no problem with the way the cream smells, saying it has no smell, or it smells like flowers ... and that's pretty confusing. how can there be such a serious difference of opinion between the haters and everyone else?
when some reviewers can't imagine why others would object to the smell of the cream, and don't understand what all the fuss is about, and other reviewers find the smell so repulsive they can't imagine why anyone would want it on their face, you just know something has to be going on ;-)

i'm not an expert in this area but i understand the ability to detect certain odours is genetically determined.
for example, some people can smell freesias, and some people can't. i can smell them, and i love their scent, but those who can't smell them probably don't understand why they're admired so much.

similarly, only half the population can smell a hormone called androstenone (which is a steroid found in male and female sweat and urine, male pig saliva, and celery).
of those who can smell it, 30% find the smell ok or even nice ('pleasant', 'sweet' or 'similar to vanilla') but 70% find it absolutely foul ('stale urine').
that's quite a range of different responses to one chemical.

maybe some ingredient in hope in a jar is subject to this kind of effect? perhaps the serious difference of opinion about the way the cream smells occurs because some people are smelling something that other people can't?
this could explain why there are reviewers that hate the smell, and reviewers that don't understand why.

for those of you who are getting lavender or sour milk, count your blessings. sadly for me and others like me, who are smelling something far more disturbing, this truly is the sweaty armpit of moisturisers ;-)

so what have i learned?
answer: always check MUA before trying new skincare.
despite the rave reviews (and they can't all be due to the oprah effect), at the time of writing this review, the product is only rated 2.8 / 39% across 1,659 reviews.
that's pretty low, and shows there's more haters than lovers, so given that there's plenty of product options out there, and no reason to waste time on potentially problematic products like this one, i should have just ditched the sample and moved on, and avoided the whole unpleasant experience ;-)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2014 1:36:00 AM More reviews by whatthehype

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

So i was intrigued by all the hype about this moisturiser and how the brand has an image of being pure. But why does it cost so much (including the purity cleanser) as it is suppose to be "pure" plus it has so many ingridents in both those products. Off the bat, it has the exact same smell as hair dye. Literally! It irriated my nose andcaused my eye some pain from the smell. (Made my partner very worried) im still in pain like an allergy to the smell. The smell is potent and i usually dont get irritated by smells from moisturises and this one i can still smell after applying it for over an hour.
On the plus side it sinks into my skin well and doesnt feel like im touching moisturiser on my face. I have dry skin and this feels nice. Its thick and slippery when applied but after it feel like skin without thw residue. But is it really worth the price ans smell? Absolutely not. Im sure i can find better ones with same great result without the price and smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2014 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Raven01

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There is a slight smell but it doesn't linger I'm over 60 yrs old acne prone STILL ugh fair and sensitive This product is HG for me Never has broken me out like heavier creams and my face is soft and moisturized I use PC BHA 2% and her 8%AHA to keep my skin clear alternating night and day use Twice daily HIAJ morning and night I have noticed a huge improvement in my skin and now only use a light dusting of Bare Minerals sheer veil You just have to see what works for you I've spent huge $$$ over the years and this works for me Don't give up! There's something out there that works for you Keep trying the sample sizes until you hit the right ones for you for me HIAJ is great and I love it

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Emdelgatto

I got a travel size from Sephora and I am so glad I didn't spend big bucks on this. I have fair sensitive skin and thought this would be ok to use. NO! At application I felt tingly/stinging on my face, not super uncommon. Within an hour my whole face was itchy. I cleaned my face and figured that would do it. 24 hours later I am still applying calamine lotion. My face broke out to what it similar to poison ivy. It is itchy, bumpy, red, and swollen! I hope I don't scar. This was a no makeup day, so I know the breakout was from HIAJ. I have read from a lot of reviews online that the ingredient Lavender Oil may be the culprit. Beware and do a test patch!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2014 4:36:00 AM More reviews by knitsnbytes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this as a beauty tube item and it surprised me. It's a light, whipped cream that seems to have a lot of water mixed into it. When you apply it, it melts onto the face and feels almost wet. Then it absorbs. As such, it doesn't seem to work well on a moist face. I don't detect much of a fragrance.

It works well for a summer moisturizer--I apply it all over face and down neck and chest area. For winter, I wouldn't rely on it. But I do like it and I reach for it continually in the summer.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by GGN

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased Hope in a Jar facial cream and body lotion along with a package of 24 Microdelivery Triple-Acid Brightening peels. The cream "fragrance" is disgusting. The body lotion fragrance is also and, wouldn't you know, this fragrance has "staying-power"! I have no idea how to describe the fragrance except it there is rather repulsive. It's one of the worst cosmetic fragrances I have ever smelled.

More importantly (the smell should have been a warning) but I persevered with the products at night and1x week with the peel, and as a result I went from no bumps or acne at all on my face, to having fluid-filled bumps eventually all over my face. I don't know if it was the peel or the cream but I finally wised-up and stopped using them. It took weeks to get over the reaction I had - ugg. It was awful. I'd never experienced this before.

But, I healed and am back to my tried and true facial products, thankfully! There are much better products out there so if you are in doubt - stay away!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by Alura21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really has high hopes for this product. A lot of people liked this and it worked for them but this was just "Meh."

Texture: Creamy, thick-ish (but not like a body butter) texture.

Scent: It's kind of like a off/weird lavender smell. It's not my cup of tea but it wasn't bothersome either. I could see someone with a sensitivity to fragrance not reacting well to this product. The smell goes away after it dries and settles.

Finish: Dewy. A bit on the sticker/oilier side than I prefer.

Effects: No noticeable improvement. At first it seemed to leave my skin balanced (in combination with purity cleanser) but soon after this left my skin feeling greasier than normal.

When I was using this face cream, I had the worse flare up of acne than I have had in years. Now whether this was hormonal or caused by this lotion, couldn't tell ya. But definitely not worth it trying to find out.

I ended up giving away a whole unused jar to a friend who was interested in trying it. (I had two deluxe samples of the cream that I went through)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 6:08:00 AM More reviews by Vandie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow! I just bought this and I had no idea other people were put off by the smell like I was! Haha! I do think a lot of the reviews are bit harsh because of the smell, instead of how it performs. I really believe if Philosophy scented the product to smell like a hint of citrus or lavender, the complaining would be cut in half! There are lots of products we use, like sunless tanners, hairspray, etc, that smell funky, and this smell isn't even that bad! It smells a bit salty or synthetic. That said, I don't care! In my humble opinion, this moisturizer is amazing. I just picked this up a few days ago and I know it's a bit early to be reviewing it, but I wanted to because I have been so pleased with this product's performance! It feels weightless, leaves my skin feeling comfortable, feeling really silky, and it gives to me what I consider to be a deep level of moisture without the heavy feel of typical, thick, creams you'd typically see in jars. I have had really red, dry cheeks. More specifically, the thinner skin above my cheeks and near the sides of my nose is always usually red and so rough in texture, that no matter what I tried, my foundation looked pretty terrible afterward. I am talking sensitive skin face wash with lukewarm water (twice a day, then when that felt too much, just once a day), gentle patting dry, Aveeno calming moisturizer, careful exfoliation with a very gently scrub and the least amount of pressure from my fingertips..I even applied Aquaphor, Eucerin, even lip balm to the areas that were scaly and I got nowhere. Before applying makeup, I'd moisturize and apply a primer to my face, taking special care to gently coat my cheeks evenly. All the care I took with my skin and my cheeks were just really scaly and my foundation would catch in all the cracks in my skin. This little jar has been great! I've really felt less irritation, and the texture of my cheeks has dramatically improved. I really am liking this. I am using it in conjunction with the Purity Made Simple face cleanser from Philosophy as well, but I know that Hope In A Jar is doing its part and then some.

TLDR: I think it works amazingly well. The smell is a bit off, but if something works, I'm going to use it as long as it's not full of poison or cat poop. If you want a gentle but effective moisturizer, give this a shot. Also, just dab on a fruity lip balm afterward and then that fruity smell will be stuck under your nose instead! :D

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 10:11:00 PM More reviews by Melodically

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just fyi I have acne-prone, sensitive, combination skin. First off, it smells terrible. My nose is sensitive to scents and putting something that smells like it was rancid was a big turn-off for me. Secondly, as soon as I put it on I could feel my skin practically screaming get it off. It was causing my face to break out. Clearly I am allergic to something in the ingredients.
I'm glad I only had a sample.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Mbeaulieu603

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

First off, this cream does not smell that bad. It does have a smell but I do not find it unpleasant or do I find it remains on your skin after you apply it. I even asked my boyfriend if he taught it smelt bad and he said "No, it just smells like cream." Anyways, this product is amazing! It's so light weight on your skin you feel like your not wearing anything. It also does wonders with my redness and dry skin, after a few uses I could see a difference. I use this with the Clinique 3 step system (the face wash and clarifying lotion) and my skin has never been more smooth and clear. My mom also has a lot a redness and uses this cream, it's also helped her clear her face. Would recommend it for anyone that is looking for a good moisturizer.