December 20, 2014 | 1746 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2014 10:46:00 AM More reviews by bevinc123

So, I have to be completely honest, (which is what this website is all about, right!?), I have a love/hate relationship with this products. I am going to say that YES, this products sinks into the skin at night and when you wake up, your face feels like a babies butt. Literally. My face is so smooth and has been a perfect canvas for makeup lately and I really contribute it to this product. HOWEVER, yes the smell is not good! But what's more, and I didn't really see anybody else really talk about this, is that the product seems to separate! My mom gave me 2 jars for Christmas one year and I had to throw one of them out without even finishing the product because it separated and it just didn't "work" anymore. Did this happen to anyone else? It separates cream from like a yellow oil. Ughh, not appealing. But like I said, my face has been pretty smooth.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by LoveJasonA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG of moisturizers. I have really picky skin, and I love this product. It sinks into my skin really fast, so I don't have to wait forever for it to dry. I wear it under my makeup and have great results.

*warning* do not keep this product in a warm or climate changing area. It will totally screw it up. Just an FYI

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2014 9:16:00 AM More reviews by geraldine23

I just bought this last week, day and night cream. Reason i would purchase this is because i saw someone introduce this on tv an di thought of trying it(it sounded so much like if you miss this product is a waste), so i tried it. Night cream is completely fine on me(though no special visible result compare with other products, if ran out of it i might consider to purchase but definitely not day cream. First thing first, i DONT like the smell!! Second, when i apply on my face, i think it irritate my skin as i feel it sting my face and a little bit irritating though there is no visible irritation like redness or anything appear on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by giggles292

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

There is nothing special about this moisturizer. I only used it at night since it is too heavy and thick for daytime use. The pros about this moisturizer is It didn't make me break out and I like the mild scent; However the cons about this product are: 1.too expensive for a mediocre moisturizer 2. Makes my eyes water if it gets anywhere near them 3. Unsanitary twist top jar and 4. Philosophy is not a cruelty free brand. I wouldn't repurchase this and I feel like people only buy this product because of the brand name.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Catet91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I can't get past the smell. The texture isn't pleasant either as it is very thin and filmy. Yuck!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by Angelitica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this product so much, but it is just the worst for my skin. I don't mind the smell, but if I get it anywhere near my eyes they start to tear up and my skin started sweating profusely after I applied this. Just. No.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2014 3:19:00 PM More reviews by loobyl

Bought this is Gatwick airport with a small cleanser. Only need a small amount as it spreads well. Feels greasy at first but soon soaks in and leaves skin matt. My skin is quite greasy even though I.,m nearly 49 so I donīt need to add any extra oil and this seems to help keep the grease at bay. Would buy again . Comes in a 60ml jar which gives you 10ml more than the majority of face creams that come in 50ml jars.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Jennuwn

I am a person who is continually trying to find a good moisturizer. I am acne prone and I have oily skin. My skin has been terrible to me this winter. It's a combo of oily, dry, and break out prone. But This moisturizer, wow, so far so good! Weirdly enough, it hasn't broken me out. Yet Iv read others broke out on this. My skin can get scaly in some areas and this was moisturizing enough to clear these areas after three days! Only down side is It does have a very strong citrus smell, almost like orange oil. It absorbed so well though. I have only a sample size of this and am going to purchase the full size.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by smootsa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

sorry to say i hated this moisturizer. like a lot of reviewers i found it irritating and foul smelling.

after testing a sample for two days i developed a very annoying rash of small itchy red lumps over my lower cheeks, and a week later i still had some residual blotches. my skin isn't super-sensitive by any means, and i've never had this kind of reaction before, so this cream must have something seriously irritating in it - at least to a percentage of the population.

WHY DOES HOPE IN A JAR SMELL SO BAD?

and then there's the smell. when i say it's foul smelling, i don't mean it's mildly offensive, i mean it's genuinely revolting.
if i hadn't known it was fresh, i could easily have believed the sample i was using was the most rancid sample ever.

out of curiosity i googled 'why does hope in a jar smell so bad" and got 725,000 hits, so obviously there's a real issue here, and reading the reviews, it's clear that many reviewers struggle to convey how awful the cream smells.

on the other hand it's also clear that many reviewers have little or no problem with the way the cream smells, saying it has no smell, or it smells like flowers ... and that's pretty confusing. how can there be such a serious difference of opinion between the haters and everyone else?
when some reviewers can't imagine why others would object to the smell of the cream, and don't understand what all the fuss is about, and other reviewers find the smell so repulsive they can't imagine why anyone would want it on their face, you just know something has to be going on ;-)

i'm not an expert in this area but i understand the ability to detect certain odours is genetically determined.
for example, some people can smell freesias, and some people can't. i can smell them, and i love their scent, but those who can't smell them probably don't understand why they're admired so much.

similarly, only half the population can smell a hormone called androstenone (which is a steroid found in male and female sweat and urine, male pig saliva, and celery).
of those who can smell it, 30% find the smell ok or even nice ('pleasant', 'sweet' or 'similar to vanilla') but 70% find it absolutely foul ('stale urine').
that's quite a range of different responses to one chemical.

maybe some ingredient in hope in a jar is subject to this kind of effect? perhaps the serious difference of opinion about the way the cream smells occurs because some people are smelling something that other people can't?
this could explain why there are reviewers that hate the smell, and reviewers that don't understand why.

for those of you who are getting lavender or sour milk, count your blessings. sadly for me and others like me, who are smelling something far more disturbing, this truly is the sweaty armpit of moisturisers ;-)

so what have i learned?
answer: always check MUA before trying new skincare.
despite the rave reviews (and they can't all be due to the oprah effect), at the time of writing this review, the product is only rated 2.8 / 39% across 1,659 reviews.
that's pretty low, and shows there's more haters than lovers, so given that there's plenty of product options out there, and no reason to waste time on potentially problematic products like this one, i should have just ditched the sample and moved on, and avoided the whole unpleasant experience ;-)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2014 1:36:00 AM More reviews by whatthehype

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

So i was intrigued by all the hype about this moisturiser and how the brand has an image of being pure. But why does it cost so much (including the purity cleanser) as it is suppose to be "pure" plus it has so many ingredients in both those products.

Off the bat, it has the exact same smell as hair dye. Literally! It irriated my nose and caused my eye some pain (Made my partner very worried) im still in pain like an allergy to the smell. The smell is potent.

On the plus side it sinks into my skin well and doesnt feel like im touching moisturiser on my face. I have dry skin and this feels nice. Its thick and slippery when applied but after it feel like skin without thw residue. But is it really worth the price ans smell? Absolutely not. Im sure i can find better ones with same great result without the price and smell. My skin has changes to being oily and my thicker moisturiser broke me out but this one is really nice though. Its lightweight and doesnt break me out but it stings my eyes when i use it too near my face but this has helped manage my skin and ill continue to use it through the summer but will find a new product next summer. Ive gotten use to the smell though.