CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

on 5/24/2015 9:55:00 AM

I rarely write reviews, but this product absolutely destroyed my skin. I'm acne-prone but largely under control thanks to a glycolic-salicylic wash and prescription sulfur wash. However, these products can be a bit drying, and I thought this wash might help hydrate and improve the appearance of my skin. Wrong!! Within 3-4 days of use, I started breaking out terribly. A lot of the spots were in places where I never break out (and I mean NEVER--I can't tell you the last time I had a pimple on my upper lip, and suddenly I had about six) and I didn't change anything else about my routine, so I have no doubt that this was the culprit. It also made my skin incredibly oily, to the point where I was blotting every half hour. Things started to clear up as soon as I discontinued use, but it's several weeks later and I'm still dealing with the remnants of the breakout this product caused. Now I'm stuck with an $18 bottle of cleanser than I'll never use and would never pass along to anyone else. If you have sensitive skin or are the least bit prone to breakouts, I'd avoid this one at all costs.

on 5/22/2015 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have been using this cleanser since I was diagnosed with Perioral Dermatitis in April 2014 (over a year at time of this review). I had to simplify my entire routine (which totally sucked because I am a product junkie) and I only used this, and CeraVe AM & CeraVe PM for about a year. These products got me through a horrible time skin-wise and I am forever grateful! It is non-irritating. To get a good cleanse I use this with my Clarisonic (I don't think my oily, sometimes acne-prone skin could use this cleanser without it). Perioral Dermatitis is closely related to Rosacea and other dermatitis'. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with sensitive skin, however, my skin has since returned to normal (and I am back to being a product junkie!) and I still use this cleanser! I love everything about this non-foaming cleanser except the parabens but I guess there isn't enough evidence yet to know if they are as bad as people think they are.

on 5/15/2015 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

My dermatologist recommended this cleanser while I was on topical acne medication. I used this cleanser for 4 weeks on my face. The cleanser did not foam since it was for normal to dry skin. I had oily acne prone skin but was dehyrated so I decided to give this cleanser a try.

Pros:

moisturizing, hydrating
make skin soft and smooth
did not clog pores
great price for a large bottle

Cons:

made face look oily
did not cleanse face properly (left over residue on my face)

I stoppped using this cleanser after I used it for 4 weeks. Right now, I use this cleanser at a body cleanser instead of as a face cleanser. I have normal to dry body skin and this cleanser is amazing on my body. It actually cleanses my body without leaving behind residue. My skin is soft and smooth after cleansing and drying even when I don't moisturize.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

CeraVe saved my face. I had been using a combination of Cetaphil and Oil of Olay since I was 18. All of a sudden when I turned 36 my face broke out in a red, stinging, burning rash with raised red bumps on my cheeks. It was terrible, especially since I never had bad acne as a teen. I suffered for 2 years trying everything I could to get rid of this rash. A young family member had been taken to the dermatologist for acne and was given some samples of Cerave, which they never used. So I figured it wouldn't do to let these samples go to waste. Within days, my face started clearing up. This is gentle on my very sensitive and dry skin. I use this in combination with the AM and PM moisturizers. No more red rash on my face; haven't had a red rash on my face since. I'm in my 40s now --- no lines, no breakouts, no redness... just calm clear skin and I can thank CeraVe for that.

on 5/12/2015 4:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff really is awesome. The Cetaphil Gentle skin cleanser does not even compare to this stuff! My dermatologist gave me a sample of this and I am in love! I have really oily, acne prone skin and was not expecting to love this at all! Somehow it managed my oil and didn't break me out. It is really gentle and is a lotion-type consistency. I would recommend this to anyone!

on 5/9/2015 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

i got a sample of this cleanser and i have to say - i love it! i have dry skin and it cleanses my skin well without stripping it dry. my skin feels sooooo soft after using this. i'm definitely switching to this when my other cleanser runs out!

on 5/9/2015 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wasn't impressed with that product at all, it stung my face when I used it, was thick, and didn't leave my face feeling clean really.. That brand is very overrated in my opinion..cleansing your face should be a pleasurable moment, with a product that is nice to use..there are better options out there..
Didn't care for the moisturizer either!!

on 5/9/2015 12:05:00 AM

I tried to like this product, I really did. With all the good reviews I wanted to wish that it would work and I'd finally find something that makes my skin healthy again but it did not.

I bought this after a coworker told me her dermatologist recommended it to her. She has (almost) flawless skin and I've been battling acne for a couple years now resulting in scarring. I decided to try it. The texture is gross, first off. Like everyone else is saying, it's literally like you're washing your face with lotion. My face never felt clean and fresh after I got out of the shower and it left a film on my face because it doesn't completely rinse off. Then to put moisturizer on top of that? The moisturizer is also pretty thick compared to most facial moisturizers. A couple days later I noticed I had a cyst on my cheek. I normally don't get cysts unless it's that TOTM but that's even on my chin so I was a little worried. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and kept using it... got another cyst. Next day, got another. I was hoping it was just a "purge" but my face doesn't seem to be getting any better. I'm also breaking out with white heads which my face has NEVER done. Even if things started going better I don't think I'd want to keep using it because my face feels gross when I put it on. Quite disappointed but luckily I have a dermatologist appointment scheduled soon.

EDIT: I continued to use this product until my appointment with the doctor. I will say that it does seem to clear up any pimples really quickly.. even though it's still making me break out. After a cyst would appear the bump would start to go down within a day or two and is not painful anymore. However, a little bump and redness are still present. I will say that in order to not feel like I had a gross film on my face, I had to repeat circular motions with just water twice to make sure that nothing was left on my face. It may work better for you as all skin is different, this was just my experience with it. I also have Keratosis Pilaris so I already have an issue with clogged pores so this cleanser may not be best for me as it is too thick. I do like the moisturizer, though. It's thick but light at the same time and still lets your skin breathe. I would have given it more time but my dermatologist put me on Epiduo and requested I use Cetaphil instead.

on 4/29/2015 10:52:00 AM

This is fine. It absolutely does NOT remove makeup whatsoever but I use the Clinique Balm cleanser first and this effectively removes any oily residue from that without drying out my skin. It's also good to use in the morning since I don't need much actual cleansing at that time.

It's a very basic product. You do receive a lot for your dollar. Everything about it is inoffensive, yet that also has the flip side of not having anything exceptional or fun about it. Innocuous smell, slightly slimy texture. It can leave a film after rinsing but I assume that's to lock moisture in and it has never broken me out, etc. I will probably repurchase at least once more in my lifetime but I don't love it. If it didn't have that weird texture I'd give it a 4 since it's useful, but it does gross me out a bit.

x_X

on 4/29/2015 2:11:00 AM

This product does absolutely nothing for me.