October 20, 2014 | 2032 users online

Cleansers - CeraVe - Hydrating Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by yatnil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I absolutely hated this product. I have dry skin and am not acne prone but this was a nightmare. My skin had a film after using it and I have never broken out so badly in my life. It's thick like lotion which I expected to like but I couldn't because of how terrible it was. It couldn't remove my makeup (and I don't even wear waterproof) and I had to use a makeup wipe and then cleanse again with another cleanser. I tried it for a few days hoping it would get better but it never did. Truthfully, I threw the bottle away because I wouldn't even give it away.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by saramason111

This feels like conditioner rubbed all over your face and then when you try to mix it off it feels like slime. I have combination skin and nowadays rarely get a pimple but the next day after using this cleanser I got a cyst on my cheek right under my eye. It went away within 24 hours. No Cerave cleanser for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 11:23:00 AM More reviews by csquared14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think that this is a great product if you have a very particular kind of skin ailment - dry skin. I purchased this when I was put on Epiduo by my dermatologist for acne (that's another long story). Epiduo is BP and a retinol, and therefore is EXTREMELY drying. After reading horror stories about what the first month would be like (sheets of skin coming off constantly, bright red irritation), I took my derm's CeraVe recommendation to heart and basically purchased a new skincare regimine (minus the Epiduo, obviously) from them.

And it was worth it. I held off on using this for a few days after a purchased, during which time my skin developed what essentially looked like scales - not okay. I then replaced my normal Mario Badescu (still love him!) cleanser with this morning and evening. In the evening, I ALWAYS use this with my Clarisonic - I don't see much in the way of results in getting my makeup off otherwise. I could feel this helping my parched skin immediately after using it - I desperately needed a cleanser that wouldn't strip my skin of moisture, and this totally delivered. It hasn't broken me out, but I'm on heavy-duty topical and oral anti-acne meds, so I'm not exactly the person to ask about that.

The packaging is functional and hygienic - you can't tell how much you have left just by looking at the bottle, but that's not a deal breaker. The pump has never broken on me, but I'd imagine it'll be inefficient for getting the last bits of cleanser up from the bottom of the bottle. This stuff is pricier than your average drug store cleanser, but it's definitely below the prestige skincare price point.

I don't think that I would recommend this to someone who isn't dealing with severe dryness, though. Again, I have to use it with my Clarisonic to get it to really do any deep cleaning. I could see this turning greasy, if you have normal skin that doesn't need the extra hydration. But if you need something very gentle and hydrating, I'd highly recommend giving this cleanser a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2014 7:10:00 PM More reviews by Zagliadod

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very sensitive and dry skin, and so many things irritate, dry me further, and break me out. I like this cleanser because it is very gentle on my skin, which is rare for me. Unfortunately it doesn't completely remove my makeup, so I rate it 4 stars rather than 5. I am going to try the Cerave foaming cleanser in hopes that it is more successful at makeup removal, and hope it is just as gentle and non drying. Maybe if I mix them.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/10/2014 3:54:00 AM More reviews by JetJockey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Alas, my search for a cleanser that is not drying yet still actually cleanses well has hit another brick wall. I typically give a product a thorough testing before I write any reviews, but I could tell right away that this was a failure. I really wanted to like it because it has so much going for it in terms of hygenic packaging, price, drugstore availability, and ingredients that are excellent for dry skin types. But it is, to put it bluntly, useless at cleansing, and it feels more like a lotion instead. The only makeup I was wearing was some light under-eye concealer, and after rinsing my skin very well and patting dry with a white towel, I could see that quite a bit of the concealer had been left behind on my skin. I will be returning it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by snowwgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh heck no... This may be someones' HG cleanser but it broke me out in cystic acne in 3 places with a week of using it. My skin hardly ever breaks out so I know it was this stuff. Be super cautious if you have never used it before, no matter what other reviews say or post.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2014 8:39:00 AM More reviews by Laurelwood

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I debated between this cleanser and the foaming one for a long time but finally decided to try this one out first since my skin is quite dehydrated (not dry) and slightly oily at times.

I was quite surprised with the feel of this cleanser at first - to be honest I didnt like the cream feel but it grew on me. I noticed my skin looking much healthier after each wash and no longer had any dry pacthes or flaky skin (I use Retin-A).

It also didnt make my skin oilier but seemed to balance out the oils since I was no longer stripping them with a harsh cleanser. This stuff is so great and I think I'll be giving the foaming one a try in the future just to see how it works out!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by elle918

Excellent cleanser. I have extremely sensitive skin and this does the trick. I alternate between this and Cetaphil for a gentle facial wash. Be sure to remove most if not all traces of makeup before using this. It won't really do so well in that area.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2014 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Alura21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is amazing! It's truly a gentle cleanser that doesn't overly strip/dry the face. It's very hydrating. I like to use this when my face is drier or during the colder months in combination of CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. It took off my eye makeup, so that's a plus too.

Texture: It's like a lotion. At first it felt a little bit weird, mostly because I was expecting the typical kind (gel-like consistency) of facial cleanser.

Scent: Fragrance-free, sort of.

Finish: This rinses off nicely. Doesn't make my face feel tight. Doesn't leave a film like some other face cleansers have.

Effects: Didn't break me out and seems to help balance out my skin. This is overall a good face wash.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 11:03:00 AM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My sensitive skin loves this fragrance free cleanser. I've used this product off and on for a couple years. The more I use it the more I appreciate it. Super hydrating, I never feel tight or dry after using it. The large 12 ounce pump-style bottle is both convenient and economical retailing for about $12 dollars. This is truly a luxury product in the drugstore aisle. and I need all the affordable help I can get. Recently I did a number on my skin with soap and an apple cider vinegar toner (See my reviews for One With Nature Dead Sea Mud Triple Milled Soap and Bragg's Apple Cider Vineger). Red and raw, this is the cleanser I'm using to repair the damage. Although the company doesn't advertise it for some reason, this cleanser doesn't contain fragrance (My skin is so bad off I can't stand any fragrance at the moment). It also deposits ceramides onto the skin which helps moisturize and helps maintain the skin's protective barrier. Since I've basically trashed my skin's protective barrier, this is exactly what I need at the moment. I follow up with the CeraVe P.M. Lotion (I use it in the A.M. too), and I'm already seeing and feeling a difference.