CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

3.7

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

on 4/29/2015 2:11:00 AM

This product does absolutely nothing for me.

on 4/29/2015 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I got this for my dry winter skin but I found it too drying for me. It said on the bottle that it removes makeup but it never got any of mine off. It also stung my skin every time I used it, I have no idea why. I continued using it only in the morning and eventually got rid of it because it wasn't doing me any good. I really wanted to like it though.

on 4/28/2015 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

When my skin is extremely dehydrated or irritated I borrow my mom's bottle of this and it does a great job of cleaning my skin without worsening the issues. I usually see results after 2 days and can then return to my regular cleanser. Unfortunately I cannot use this regularly because it will eventually give me closed comedones. I so wish this didn't contain cetearyl alcohol because it works so well for my skin otherwise -- non-drying, non-irritating, and no leftover film.

on 4/26/2015 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My dermatologist recommended this to me and it is very mediocre. It does not cleanse the skin well. I was using coconut oil as my makeup remover and after rinsing that off with water and then using this cleanser, I still had build up from the oil on my face. I wasn't really breaking out from it (I added a lippie for that) but I did have a considerable amount of small little bumps underneath my skin. After using this for maybe 6 months my skin had never felt more congested and I knew it was because of this cleanser. I stepped out on faith and picked up the Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Detox Foaming Cleanser, and there was an instant relief. My skin felt soo much better and the texture started to smooth out. I'm going to do a review on that cleanser next!

I experimented with this one again after some time because I wanted a hydration boost and I actually had a little reaction to it, so never again :)

I love this stuff! I have been searching all over for a good cleanser that is reasonably priced and easily available that won't suck the life out of what is left of my dry sensitive skin. This was the answer. Not only does it not dry out my face but my face cleared up after a week of using it. I saw noticeable results right away. I will definitely continue using this product!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

My skin loves this cleanser very much. At first I didn't know what to think because the texture is different than most common cleansers. It doesn't lather, and it does sort of feel like I'm washing my face with lotion. But I've been using this for about 5 months and slowly over time I realized how great this really is.

I have never been loyal to a particular cleanser, I pretty much changed what I used every time I ran out. I honestly didn't think cleansers were that important. I used them as my makeup remover and figured since it was being washed away I didn't need to pay much attention. One day I was reading a blog called Skin and Tonics and she had a post that went into the details of why a cleanser with the proper PH is so important. A proper cleanser balances the PH on our skin, setting up the skin to receive the products following the cleanser and creating a healthy moisture barrier. A lightbulb went off in me and I started to put the pieces together as to why my skin struggled for so long.

This cleanser has the proper PH. It doesn't remove makeup, so I use an oil cleanser to remove my face makeup. But I really really like this cleanser along with my Cerave Moisture Lotion. I recommend this to anyone that asks!

on 4/15/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have been using this cleanser for 4 years as it was recommended to me by my dermatologist. I have extremely dry and sensitive skin, and this cleanser never left my skin burning, broken out, or dry. In fact, this cleanser really does hydrate the skin, leaving it supple and plump without a greasy residue. I have tried to remove makeup with this cleanser, and it isn't the greatest. Therefore, I will always remove my makeup first with my HG, Clean & Clear Makeup Dissolving Foam Cleanser (I have a review here: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=118247/Makeup-Dissolving-Foaming-Cleanser/Clean-&-Clear/Cleansers
I then follow up with the Cerave Hydrating Cleanser on my Clarsonic Mia 2. The consistency of this cleanser is like a lotion, it is relatively scentless, and it does not lather. I personally find the pump packaging to be super easy to use, and the pump screws off to ensure you can get every last bit of product when it's almost out. I personally love this cleanser because it leaves my skin clean, soft, hydrated, and without irritation. Will continue to purchase because it lasts forever and it works!

on 4/15/2015 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I've been using this product for long enough to give it a proper review, however, I'm still a bit torn personally on how much I truly like it. First the good: it never stings or burns my sensitive skin and it has a smooth lotion like texture that easily glides over the face with a bit of water. It is sufficient to take off the small amount of make-up I sometimes wear on my skin (a bit of concealer) and doesn't seem to disagree with my rosacea. Now for the not so good: I don't feel particularly happy about using this product as it's far from natural. Also, the price tag always strikes me as high for a drugstore product although I will say that one bottle lasts me several months. The packaging is nice until you get to the bottom of the container as I then find myself having to store the container upside down and unscrewing the lid in order to get to the last several applications of the product. Definitely a pain to juggle in the shower! All this said, I do find it difficult to find a bland and nourishing cleanser, particularly since moving to the U.S. where benzyl peroxide and salicylic acid are added to many drugstore products, and this seems to fit my needs to at least some degree. I will use it until or unless I find something better.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I purchased this from CVS along with CeraVe's SPF 30 AM moisturizer. It was buy one get one half off and the total came out to be twenty-one dollars for both products together. I've been using this twice a day for 4 days along with the moisturizer daily. I have developed small bumps all over my face. They look like small pimples everywhere, some have even come to a head. I am wondering if this is my skin purging or if I'm having some sort of bad reaction to these products. I just finished peeling from a TCA peel last week so it's difficult for me to accept that my skin is purging this much since the TCA did a lot of that. Additionally, I don't want to mess up my new skin. This cleanser feels too heavy for my skin, which is normal but leans toward oily. I want to give CeraVe a real chance though because I've heard wonderful things about it. I plan on returning this product and getting their foaming cleanser. That is the cleanser I wanted to get originally, but for some reason I picked up the wrong one at the store. I decided to give it a shot anyway to see if it would work, but it hasn't so I'll try the one I wanted in the first place. Hopefully these bumps go away! It looks as if all my little pores are clogged and risen up when I look closely into the mirror and my face is red overall.

_________________________________________________________________________
EDIT: 4/17/15

It has been exactly 5 days since my last post and 3 days since I switched from CeraVe's Hydrating Cleanser to CeraVe's Foaming Cleanser. I can now say without a doubt that now that I have stopped using the cleanser and moisturizer I previously purchased and have only been using the foaming cleanser twice a day all the little bumps on my face are GONE. My face is nice and smooth and even the 2 actual pimples I had are healing up. I love this stuff and so I still highly recommend the CeraVe line. I believe the hydrating cleanser was just way too moisturizing for my skin and it either caused some sort of bad reaction or it clogged almost all of the pores on my forehead, nose, and upper cheeks. If you're having the same problem I suggest switching cleansers and then giving it a couple of days to see if there's a difference. It's true that the culprit of my little bumps could have been the moisturizer, but I used that twice after stopping the usage of the hydrating cleanser because I had to go out in sunlight for a while and had no other strong SPF moisturizers. I didn't get any bumps from that from my two usages, so although it's possible that was causing the bumps I think it's more likely that it was this cleanser. I changed the lippie rating from a 3 to a 1 because of the bumps and the overly moisturized feeling that was uncomfortable for me. This didn't work for my skin, but if you have dry skin it may be worth a shot.

on 4/3/2015 12:58:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

"Provides patented controlled release of ingredients to help repair and restore your skin's natural protective barrier.

- Ideal for use on the face and body
-Ceramides help repair the skin barrier
-Hyaluronic acid attracts needed moisture
-Emollients moisturize and soften very dry skin"

I don't know about the marketing gimmicks; I doubt the ceramides and hyalronic acid stay on the skin after washing and if I have experienced any of those benefits it's most likely from my other skin care products. I believe it's the emollients, basically a wax substance, that leaves a film on the skin but that easily comes off with a wet rag. Then again maybe all of those things work together and I'm gently rubbing it off.

I will say it is a fantastic cleanser. Their claims of it being "non-comedogenic, non-drying, non-irritating" are absolutely true. It's everything I've looked for in a basic cleanser; it's non-foaming, non-stripping and gentle but effectively removes dirt and oil. It does not cause an overactive sebum and/or dehydrate the skin; it keeps my skin balanced and soft. It does not remove makeup, but that's ok since most can't, you would need a designated makeup remover/cleanser.

It's a decent size bottle for the price. It lasts me quite a while even if I'm using it twice a day. They recommend to use the cleanser on the body as well but I don't think that would be cost effective unless you're using it on a target area.

I don't like the idea of spending a large amount of money on a cleanser, so I'm really happy with this budget find. It has definitely become a staple in my skincare routine.