L'Oreal Excellence To Go Hair Color

2.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My hair really turns light blonde during the summer. I travel for work and cannot always find a quality salon to upkeep my color so I decided to revisit my younger years with a quick box die. This product is dirt cheap and if you need multiple boxes you can find it on sale & use a coupon to make it more affordable. This product seemed like a no fail until...

***UPDATE*** September 2012 - While traveling for work I stopped into the ULTA in Muncy, Pennsylvania. I saw my hair in decent lighting there and noticed I had a GREEN tinge to my hair. I talked to the salon manager wondering if it could have to do with the hard water at the hotel where I was staying. I told her my routine and she said that darker L'Oreal box dyes tend to have a green hue to their undertone. I was walking around with hair that was shining GREEN in the sun! This product seemed like a great quick fix...until I had to spend extra on a neutralizer to get the tint out of my hair. I will not be looking for another quick fix from this box dye.

on 11/20/2010 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

For six bucks, I had to give it a try. I had dyed my hair black last winter and my hair is naturally dark brown with reddish highlights. I decided to stop coloring my hair black, but the outgrowth was to much for me. Half of my head was natural and half black.

So,went to a salon to even out the color as close as possible to my natural hair color. They used bleach all over my hair, not just on the black and tried to dye it dark brown.

The results, a nice halo of bright brassy red/orange and the ends were still black. I went back to the salon a second time to have them fix it and my hair still had a halo and was three different colors. Now, I'm out of 90 bucks and disgusted by the salon.
I tryed Esalon $20 bucks. which, did nothing to my hair. It was a semi-perm. but did not take well to my hair or even tone down the brassy color.
Then a few months later I seen this box on sale and I'm so glad I tried it. Not only was it cheap, but It balanced out my hair and took away most of the brassy color . Just took me ten minutes. Even my gray is gone. I'm going to buy a few more boxes while it's on sale at CVS.

on 11/14/2010 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I used Excellence To Go 10 minute creme colorant, #9 Light Natural Blonde to cover/color my gray roots.

Money's really tight and I really agonized over whether or not to go get my hair done and sacrifice getting a turn signal for my Yamaha or give it a shot myself, so instead of going for my usual $105 color-the-gray-and-double-blond-foil-weave, I decided to try this $8.97 hair color from the local W-M.
I'd had good luck before with L'Oreal Preference, so this box touting coloring gray and doing roots was attractive. It had the right 'spin' with the wording.

My hair grows fast because I take vitamin supplements.

I SO lucked out!

My hair came out really, REALLY good. It's not salon quality, granted, BUT considering I saved not only $95 BUT at LEAST 5-6 hours travel and salon time, I'd say that was a doggone good bargain.

The 'Root Touch-Up Comb' made a big difference, being easier to separate the hair and apply the product.

I applied the product as if I was blow drying my hair, going for those areas FIRST that I knew would show when my hair was done.

The instructions said to leave it on an extra 5 minutes for hard to cover gray areas, but I chickened out and did only the 10 minutes as recommended. It's a good thing I did because the areas that were gray came out a TEENSY bit lighter than the hair around it, or maybe I didn't put the rest of the product on as thoroughly as I should've on the rest of the hair. Either way, the gray is pretty much gone and it took a sharp eye to find where the gray was. (Again, the only way I knew where it was was because the gray areas were a little bit lighter than the surrounding hair)

When I washed the color out, my hair did feel a little dryish and a tiny bit straw-like just before applying the conditioner, but the conditioner fixed that.

The shade selection colorization chart on the box was very close.

The only things I would do differently are a) get one shade darker than what I used and b) start with the gray around the face and THEN the parts/crown, since THOSE areas are usually the ones that take the most time and show the most (besides the part and the top of the head / crown).

Now all I have to do is cut my bangs a bit. I have a really good haircut anyway, so I think I can go another 3 weeks.

I'm VERY pleased with the results. VERY.

I'm going to suggest it to my daughter (and probably end up doing it for her). She's as picky as I am, so for me to recommend it AND do her hair exudes confidence.

on 10/8/2010 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I used this in Dark Blonde and loved it! My hair is naturally medium brown so with the wrong dark blonde dye my hair can go too warm and reddish. This dye gave me a nice, neutral dark blonde though! The color was shiney with pretty highlights. I haven't tried any other shades but def reccomend the Dark Blonde shade!

on 10/5/2010 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm shocked by the bad reviews. I have been trying to get my hair medium auburn for a month now (10 dye jobs including a trip to the salon) and nothing has worked. All the dyes have turned into a muddy brown color after one wash (and I use Wen). I finally used Feria in the brightest red I could find. This made my hair RED. In fact, it was bright pink in some spots. I tried to tone it down by washing with original dawn (this usually works - my hairdresser suggested it). However my hair still looked a little too pink for my taste. I picked up medium reddish brown, in spite of the bad reviews here, because I liked that it only took 10 min and the color looked nice. I am very impressed! My hair is so silky! It was very damaged before from bleaching so I was not expecting these results. Most colors claim that they leave your hair in better condition, but few deliver. This one definitely did. The color was quite a bit darker than the picture, but I expect some fading, so it's ok. I will repurchase, but will choose a lighter color.

on 9/13/2010 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

THIS STUFF IS AWFUL!! Why oh why didn't I read these reviews first!!!!! I usually use Feria in a copper color and get sooo many compliments. It seemed to be frying my hair a bit so I wanted to try something different to see if I could restore some shine. I chose this in the Light Auburn. Like others who reviewed this color, I was horrified! This is NOT a copper color as it appears on the box. It is a burgundy, blue/purple red. My hair was almost black with dark red highlights, which is hideous with my skin tone. Thank goodness for color oops. Got the color out and now I am waiting to recolor. Hopefully my hair won't all fall out. Excellence to go did leave my hair feeling soft, shiny and healthy, plus the 10 minute time was great, but I can't forgive them for telling me I'd have red hair and giving me BLACK/BURGUNDY!!

on 8/4/2010 11:31:00 PM

Just tried this in Medium Ash Brown (5A) and it turned my hair almost black. This is a terrible product and not something I would have expected from L'Oreal, since their regular Excellence Cream works so well!

on 7/20/2010 8:12:00 AM

This is not the same as Excellence. I used 6N in Excellence so I tried the 6 in this, and it is much darker with none of the warmth of the 6N. I am very disappointed in this color. I can only hope that it will fade quickly. Would not purchase again and certainly wouldn't recommend it.

on 7/6/2010 7:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This one is great! Gives excellent, lively, healthy colour. Does not damage hair at all. I cannot fathom why it has got so bad reviews.

on 6/27/2010 1:15:00 AM

This dye (used it only once...!!) made my hair to break off severely and I've got frizzy pieces all over !! My hair feels very, very dry and looks like straw !! What a nightmare ! Will NEVER use this stuff again !