Bare Escentuals Kabuki Brush

2.6

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Bare Escentuals' Full Coverage Kabuki Brush is one of at least four kabukis offered by this well known mineral makeup brand. This brush was designed to apply their loose mineral foundation. The Full Coverage Kabuki is made of goat hair. Bare Escentuals says that the "large, firm brush head allows for flawless full coverage application in record time and it feels incredible on your skin". My sister in law passed their brush on to me after she bought a new one. This kabuki brush retails for $28, and is by and far the most expensive brush I own. If you didn't notice in the first couple sentences, this is a animal hair brush, so vegans and the like may want to steer clear. I'm unsure of where this brush was made or purchased.
This kabuki brush has a short, round metal handle. The brush name is on one side of the handle, the brand name can be found on the other. Looks sleek, has good weight in the hand. The brush head is huge. Well it's probably about the same size as an average kabuki brush, but it feels big. The bristles are incredibly dense, there is an innumerable amount of hairs in this brush. Unfortunately in the case of Bare Escentuals' Full Coverage Kabuki, density does not equal softness. Goat hair? You don't say! This brush is rough and scratchy, sometimes my cheeks even hurt a little after use. For being a nearly $30 brush, it isn't top quality at all. The bristles splay a lot at the edge of the brush. The brush head sheds both on the face and during washing. Its difficult to get all the product out during brush baths, it takes at least two shampoos to get most of the product out. I also always condition this, and all my natural hair brushes, after washing. It takes a fair while to dry, but what can you expect from an animal hair kabuki brush. Though it isn't put together perfectly, I will compliment Bare Escentuals on the even cut of the hairs and the uniformity of the bristle movement.
Ok so it's not the softest brush and has some construction issues but this isn't a terrible brush. It blends well enough and I like to use it for applying powders and bronzers. I mainly use this brush as a last, finishing step to blend everything together. It can give bronzer a very subtle look and it gives an even, finished, put together look to the skin.
Bare Escentuals Full Coverage Kabuki Brush gets the job done, but it doesn't feel good when you're working with it. The goat hair bristles are really scratchy and unpleasant, and don't be surprised to find a few on your face afterwards. Do not like. I definitely don't recommend this brush, or any by Bare Escentuals, I've never heard any good about their brushes, except from one person who doesn't know much about makeup or brushes and repurchases all her brushes once a year, and also from my sister in law, who also fits the profile of the first person mentioned. It's not worth $28 at all. I'm currently looking to replace this brush, I hear good stuff about ELF's Studio Line Kabuki, so that may be my next brush purchase.

on 8/24/2012 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have the "heavenly face kabuki brush" as well as the regular full size full coverage, mini and I have to tell you I like them all but the Heavenly face kabuki is AMAZING... it is great .. flat on top I love it.. its a lot like the handy buki without the handle.. totally recommend it... it feels so SOFT I love it!!

on 4/11/2012 5:23:00 PM

WORST EVER! Super scratchy, just plain awful. My $3 elf kabuki is so much better than this!

on 4/10/2012 2:02:00 PM

This brush came with the Bare Minerals set I bought a while back. At first, this brush was great at applying bronzer & gave full, even coverage. After a while, all the good qualities about this brush slowly started to fade away. I've had this problem with all the Bare Minerals brushes I've used. Although, I didn't mind this brush as much as the "flawless application brush". They are all cheapily made & not a good investment in the long run. The hairs on this brush started to turn coarse & hard, this also sheds like crazy. All the makeup brushes from this line are the worst quality brushes I've ever used, & that includes brushes from drugstores. You can get way better brushes at a fraction of the price. Don't buy this.

on 2/9/2012 1:42:00 PM

Absolutley worst brush ever! And for the price I paid it's simply outrageous. I hate everything about it, from the way it applies, the shape and the bristles. It applies really patchy and I have to use about 3x times the amount of product compared to a regular brush because the product "falls down" into the brush and doesn't stay on the top part of the bristles. This means that I have to add more and more product to get any results. Even my cheap blush brush does a way better job.

The bristles are a nightmare! They are really harsh and sharp and irritate my skin, it hurts and my skin often stays red for a long time after applying. I sometimes avoid using my mineral makeup just because of this brush. I hate this brush to the extent that I threw it in the thrash the second I bought a new one.

on 1/21/2012 11:34:00 AM

I bought this brush because I needed fuller coverage than I was getting with the BE flawless face brush. Initially when I received this brush it felt reasonably soft and the dense bristles looked like they would offer fuller coverage. However, like many of the BE brushes, with time, it became rough, very scratchy and shed A LOT. I think it's because the bristles snap/break easily, therefore becoming uneven and less smooth on the skin. Also like other reviewers have pointed out the brush fell apart! One day the bristle came away from the ferrule (metal part) in one clumpy mess. It's a shame as I love most of the BE products and I feel the this brush lets them down. As far as brushes goes take your money else where!!! I'm off to see if the newer full flawless brush is any better...

on 11/7/2011 3:38:00 PM

Seconding all the reviews below, WORST BRUSH EVER! It has the nastiest and the roughest bristles I have ever tried with a brush! it's worse than the Quo brushes from SDM. I have no idea how BE is still in business besides their mineral veil--now THIS is only great thing from their line. Everything else plain SUCKS. There are so many better kabuki brushes out there AND mineral make up out there that does not use BISMUTH!!!

on 9/23/2011 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

WORST KABUKI BRUSH EVER!
At first, I actually thought it was the foundation that made my face feel different, but this brush scratches you, and sheds ALL OVER MY FACE!
I stopped using Bare Escentuals because I thought the formula was drying out my face, but I switched the brush with the Dior Powder Foundation brush and it works fine!

on 8/31/2011 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This brush was scratchy, shed a lot and after a few months fell apart. BE brushes generally have not been anywhere near worth the price in my experience, but this was probably the worst.

on 8/31/2011 1:25:00 PM

Came in a kit so was cheap for me. The worst brush I've ever used. Bristles were way too hard and stiff and didn't give a good result with powder, they also shed all the time.

Popular Makeup Brushes