October 23, 2014 | 1183 users online

Sunscreen - La Roche Posay - Anthelios Xl SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme (for face)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2013 4:34:00 AM More reviews by yazmin77

This is a thin milky sunscreen that leaves a white caste when you put it on, on my oily skin it glides beautifully and makes my skin look like silk, my makeup goes on beautiful after this, it proves good sun protection and its water resistant so good for me when I sweat, it does leave a slight white caste but it blends nicely on my light skin.
I wish they would sell it cheaper it's like 17 pound for 50ml and if you wear it everyday most liklely it's going 2 last u about a month, so not value for money but still a nice sunscreen, Would recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by karencilla9

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this sunscreen for about 2 years since I discovered the french dermatologic brands like Bioderma and La Roche Posay. I would not say this sunscreen is perfect but is the best I have tried. I have used Avene (too greasy), Bioderma (too greasy), City block 40 (no waterproof) and some other that simply do not give very high protection. I have never got burned with this sunscreen but I must say that I'm really prudent when I go out in the sun. The texture is light and milky and spreads easily on the skin (I use it on top of my moisturizer) however most moisturizers will ball up under this sunscren, so you have to try and see what works for you. As other reviewers said, it leaves a white cast. I'm really pale but I still notice the white color on my face, like a ghost, but simply I got used to it. It's not too greasy but because of my combination skin I always have to blot my nose several times a day. I will keep using it until I find something that performs better with such a high level proteccion. I don't like the tinted version because is too dark for my skin tone. It looks as if I had the wrong foundation color.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by jamface17

Apologies, this review is going to have a lot of back story but I just thought I'd share it cos someone may have had the same thoughts/experience : ).

For reference, I have oily, acne-prone and sensitive skin. My skin also clogs VERY easily.

I'm someone who never used to wear sunscreen. I always thought that since I generally just tan instead of burning, that I didn't need it. Several months ago, my skin was in okay condition, I mainly had quite a few acne marks on my cheeks/chin that were just starting to fade. It was the summertime so I spent a lot of hrs outdoors, my skin got a really nice tan so to my joy, my acne marks were becoming less obvious. However, as summer ended and my skin slowly lost its tan I noticed more and more darkened browny-red marks on my cheeks. At first I thought they were acne marks but then thought how strange.. I don't remember having any breakouts in some of those areas... Alas, it was the beginning of some sun spots!! My cheeks which already had existing acne marks were starting to look off-coloured and patchy! My sister was also surprised cos she didn't remember my skin looking that bad -__-

I frantically started researching all sorts of sunscreens but would always be turned off by that one negative review. Since my skin is soooo finicky, I would always conclude that a particular sunscreen wouldn't be worth buying cos it'll probably make me greasy, break me out and clog my pores. Thankfully, after a month or two, the spots and acne-marks started to fade and I got over my phase of needing to buy a sunscreen.

A couple months ago, my skin took a turn for the worst - breakouts and clogged pores galore! I went to the dermatologist and since I was advised to use a glycolic acid solution, I needed a sunscreen too so she suggested La Roche Posay's one. I can't remember how much this cost when I got it from my dermatologist. My sister bought it at a Terry White Chemists here in Australia, however I can't seem to find it on the website anymore! It's possibly around $30 AUD?

Anyway, this sunscreen is supposed to be shaken up before applying. The texture is runny and milky which sometimes makes the opening a little messy. It's fragrance-free too which is a plus. Not a lot is needed to cover my whole face, I use about a 5 cents coin worth.

Now here comes the not so good part. Like a lot of people have already mentioned, what's with the white cast?! After apply this, my face looks noticeably paler and not in an attractive way. I don't turn completely ghost-face but since I have light medium skin, it almost gets a whitish, sallow-grey-dull tinge. Even if I try pressing the sunscreen into my face then massaging it in, it still leaves a bit of a white cast. And I don't think I can just use less because I need that much to cover my face! Of course this is not much of a problem if I decide to wear a light powder foundation but the thing is, I don't wear foundation on a daily basis.

Since it's quite milky it feels light on my skin. I don't get that heavy, thick sunscreen feeling that I've experienced in the past. It's a combo of physical and chemical active ingredients. I also like how the box lists all the ingredients unlike other sunscreens out there. I didn't find that it made me any oilier nor has it clogged my pores. I haven't broken out from this either. I'll definitely update if this changes : ). I also apply this straight onto bare skin, I don't feel like I need any extra moisture cos I have oily skin. However, someone with a drier skin type might want to moisturise first.

I can say after a couple months of wearing this, my acne marks have slowly faded. Yes, it's probably something to do with the glycolic acid I've been using but this sunscreen has really helped in not making marks any darker whilst being outdoors.

I'd recommend this to anyone who's had trouble with sunscreens before. As someone with oily skin, the last thing I want is something heavy. It's light, non-greasy and also aimed for sensitive skins. It's also paraben-free if that's something you look for : ). If you can get past the slight white cast, then it might just work for you too!

This also lasts a long time so I'm nowhere near finishing it. I'm on the fence about repurchasing this when I do though. I probably will though since it's the best sunscreen I've tried so far for my skin type.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2013 12:38:00 AM More reviews by MacMegan33

I like this a lot, despite some bad reviews. I use it as moisturizer/sunscreen/primer. I have comb skin, that has been breaking out lately. When I went with my boyfriend to get a facial at Dermastore, she said it's because the moisturizer(Olay complete, she didn't know what I was using yet.) was to strong for my face, and I have sun sensitive skin. She recommended this, since I've been getting white pimples and more freckles.
This feels really soothing on my face like Avene products do, I guess its the water in LRP products, that really give it that oomph. I use barely any at all. It goes a long way for me, I pay special attention to my nose cheek area, where most of my freckles are. It does cast a white shadow, but honestly I like it, I feel my face is less red and has a nice french girl skin vibe going on. Once I put my make-up on it goes away. If I put to much Athelios on, it feels like it leaves a resides. Less is def. more with the product, I get good results with a thin layer. It's is a good base for my foundations I currently wear-Vichy Dermablend, Mac Studio Fix, and Revlon Colorstay.
What I love about this product is the matte finish, I get a little oily on my cheeks. Not anymore. It's great it works great with my skin, and my dry patches. At first it rubbed them off and left easer like shavings on my face, but it was my dead skin. It only happened once. My face isn't breaking out anymore since stop using Olay Complete, I hope this 8 month phase is over, I never use to break out.
Im happy with this product. I would recommend this to any person with similar skin as mine. Everyone needs to protect their face for UV rays, and sun damage!!!!! I haven't gotten a burn on my face yet, and I live in a hot hot hot tropical climate. Even if you don't burn doesn't mean your skin isn't being damaged so always wear SPF protection. Even if it's cloudy you still can get burned/sun spots!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by pratty01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

the white sunscreen patch looks good only on cricketers... i don't know to judge the effectiveness of a sunscreen, because what happens with sun exposure is a long term side effect, so basically you just have to bathe in sunscreen and hope your skin is being protected from possible damage. i have used so many brands of sunscreen and no matter what the brand and SPF you still have to reapply if you sweat or wipe or over prolonged exposure... if not even the most awesome sunscreen can't protect you from a burn...

so the only factors that help us pick up a sunscreen are the texture, how it wears under make up and stuff... maybe this is a wonderfully protective sunscreen, who knows? but it leaves a white mask, like face paint... it doesn't absorb to well... i live in extremely humid weather conditions so i stand right in front of the aircon after i apply sunscreen and no matter what i do it doesn't absorb, it creases around my eyes and neck and my hairline looks like i am a granny in disguise... it streaks and doesn't sink in even after repeatedly massaging it into the skin (that is the opposite of what you are supposed to do with a sunscreen- sunscreen must always be applied with a light hand and not massaged in like a moisturizer)

and don't even ask how horrible make up looks on top of this... it drastically alters the shade of your foundation...

so ya... maybe this sunscreen is good... but just like all healthy foods don't taste bad, i don't think i wanna put up with this sunscreen.... and definitely not for this price tag... neutrogena ultra sheer is so much better at less than half the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by sienna2125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like the thin consistency of this sunscreen. However this sunscreen leaves an unappealing white cast. Now I have to add another step to my routine (mac msfn) to avoid looking like a sick version of Casper. My search for a HG sunscreen continues.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2013 7:42:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I find this to be almost greasy and not worth the extra money. I'll use it up but won't buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by SilverLilyGirl

Was looking for a facial sun cream as I've got pale skin, and I was becoming concerned at the amount of freckling that was appearing in the summer. I've also tried city block, but that gave me spots, so I was keen to try something else.

Application initially was fine - but it sort of sat on my skin, leaving a bit of a residue, and even worse, if I rubbed it, or applied anything (BB cream, foundation, powder) over the top, it went sort of bobbly / flaky on my skin. (like the bits of rubber you get when you use an eraser).

However the upside is that it works fine on my boyfriend's bald spot (as did the city block - he's not fussy) so my beauty product fails at least have some practical use.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2013 12:23:00 PM More reviews by plumsandmaroons

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

before this one i used the worst sunscreen on planet-garnier- cause i was at holiday and my sebamed was over! and i had lots and lots of acnes and white spots, and then thank god i realise this one, and my skin gets better after i change my skincare rountine. I really love the texture of this product. Some days i dont even need to put make up on because it has this sheer layer on skin and a little bit powder sense. İ will definetly recommend this product to a friend

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2012 12:53:00 PM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've used the Tinted version of this for about 2 months now, but only when I am going to be outside for longer than say 1/2 hour. I used it on long bike rides and going to the beach, gardening outside, etc., all in very hot, humid and sweaty conditions.

PROS: Wears like iron, stays on, does excellent job at preventing darkening of any hyperpigmentation (better than my Shiseido Perfect UV Protector spf50+/PA+++, which is far more matte), does not break me out, does not irritate.

CONS: Shiny and sticky. Never really dries, remains sticky.

This is a thin milky fluid that is tinted to somewhere between the color tan and calamine lotion, but the tint and the fluid pretty much disappear when you rub it in. Don't count on this for coverage. It's sheer.

I have very oily, sensitive and acne prone skin. This does not break me out at all, or cause any rxns, but remains quite sticky and does not dry matte on me. I look pretty shiny and overly moist.

Applying powder over it helps, but it seems to suck in the powder and the shine starts coming through shortly thereafter. I end up powdering a zillion times, and I'm still sticky and shiny. As a result, I only wear it when sun protection is my goal. I would never wear it to, say a business meeting, unless the meeting was an all day outdoor event.

It works great and I do have some acne scarring and PIH, so if I'm going to be outside for any length of time I will put up w the shine and stickiness for its effectiveness. However, the minute I find something better at preventing PIH w/ less stickiness and a more matte finish that doesnt break me out, I will drop this like a hot potato.

04/17/13 UPDATE: Having tried many other ss's and compared them to this, I am noting that many, many other ss's marketed as oil-free, matte finish, or for oily skin, made my oily but mature skin look dry, wrinkly, and flaky, and made mu pile up in each pore. In comparison, the shininess from this LRP is a small price to pay for skin that looks perfectly smooth, flake-free, and poreless. While I don't like shine, I like looking old, wrinkly, whiteish, and flaky even less. So as far as making your skin look younger and smoother, even if it's shiny, this LRP ss wins hands down.

PS to the reviewer who was disappointed that it did not contain Mexoryl - it DOES but ONLY if you order from overseas - the US version sold in US stores does not contain Mexoryl in this version/spf.