April 23, 2014 | 1904 users online

Sunscreen - La Roche Posay - Anthelios Xl SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme (for face)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by pratty01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

the white sunscreen patch looks good only on cricketers... i don't know to judge the effectiveness of a sunscreen, because what happens with sun exposure is a long term side effect, so basically you just have to bathe in sunscreen and hope your skin is being protected from possible damage. i have used so many brands of sunscreen and no matter what the brand and SPF you still have to reapply if you sweat or wipe or over prolonged exposure... if not even the most awesome sunscreen can't protect you from a burn...

so the only factors that help us pick up a sunscreen are the texture, how it wears under make up and stuff... maybe this is a wonderfully protective sunscreen, who knows? but it leaves a white mask, like face paint... it doesn't absorb to well... i live in extremely humid weather conditions so i stand right in front of the aircon after i apply sunscreen and no matter what i do it doesn't absorb, it creases around my eyes and neck and my hairline looks like i am a granny in disguise... it streaks and doesn't sink in even after repeatedly massaging it into the skin (that is the opposite of what you are supposed to do with a sunscreen- sunscreen must always be applied with a light hand and not massaged in like a moisturizer)

and don't even ask how horrible make up looks on top of this... it drastically alters the shade of your foundation...

so ya... maybe this sunscreen is good... but just like all healthy foods don't taste bad, i don't think i wanna put up with this sunscreen.... and definitely not for this price tag... neutrogena ultra sheer is so much better at less than half the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by sienna2125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like the thin consistency of this sunscreen. However this sunscreen leaves an unappealing white cast. Now I have to add another step to my routine (mac msfn) to avoid looking like a sick version of Casper. My search for a HG sunscreen continues.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2013 7:42:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I find this to be almost greasy and not worth the extra money. I'll use it up but won't buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by SilverLilyGirl

Was looking for a facial sun cream as I've got pale skin, and I was becoming concerned at the amount of freckling that was appearing in the summer. I've also tried city block, but that gave me spots, so I was keen to try something else.

Application initially was fine - but it sort of sat on my skin, leaving a bit of a residue, and even worse, if I rubbed it, or applied anything (BB cream, foundation, powder) over the top, it went sort of bobbly / flaky on my skin. (like the bits of rubber you get when you use an eraser).

However the upside is that it works fine on my boyfriend's bald spot (as did the city block - he's not fussy) so my beauty product fails at least have some practical use.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2013 12:23:00 PM More reviews by plumsandmaroons

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

before this one i used the worst sunscreen on planet-garnier- cause i was at holiday and my sebamed was over! and i had lots and lots of acnes and white spots, and then thank god i realise this one, and my skin gets better after i change my skincare rountine. I really love the texture of this product. Some days i dont even need to put make up on because it has this sheer layer on skin and a little bit powder sense. İ will definetly recommend this product to a friend

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2012 12:53:00 PM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've used the Tinted version of this for about 2 months now, but only when I am going to be outside for longer than say 1/2 hour. I used it on long bike rides and going to the beach, gardening outside, etc., all in very hot, humid and sweaty conditions.

PROS: Wears like iron, stays on, does excellent job at preventing darkening of any hyperpigmentation (better than my Shiseido Perfect UV Protector spf50+/PA+++, which is far more matte), does not break me out, does not irritate.

CONS: Shiny and sticky. Never really dries, remains sticky.

This is a thin milky fluid that is tinted to somewhere between the color tan and calamine lotion, but the tint and the fluid pretty much disappear when you rub it in. Don't count on this for coverage. It's sheer.

I have very oily, sensitive and acne prone skin. This does not break me out at all, or cause any rxns, but remains quite sticky and does not dry matte on me. I look pretty shiny and overly moist.

Applying powder over it helps, but it seems to suck in the powder and the shine starts coming through shortly thereafter. I end up powdering a zillion times, and I'm still sticky and shiny. As a result, I only wear it when sun protection is my goal. I would never wear it to, say a business meeting, unless the meeting was an all day outdoor event.

It works great and I do have some acne scarring and PIH, so if I'm going to be outside for any length of time I will put up w the shine and stickiness for its effectiveness. However, the minute I find something better at preventing PIH w/ less stickiness and a more matte finish that doesnt break me out, I will drop this like a hot potato.

04/17/13 UPDATE: Having tried many other ss's and compared them to this, I am noting that many, many other ss's marketed as oil-free, matte finish, or for oily skin, made my oily but mature skin look dry, wrinkly, and flaky, and made mu pile up in each pore. In comparison, the shininess from this LRP is a small price to pay for skin that looks perfectly smooth, flake-free, and poreless. While I don't like shine, I like looking old, wrinkly, whiteish, and flaky even less. So as far as making your skin look younger and smoother, even if it's shiny, this LRP ss wins hands down.

PS to the reviewer who was disappointed that it did not contain Mexoryl - it DOES but ONLY if you order from overseas - the US version sold in US stores does not contain Mexoryl in this version/spf.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by AleneM

This broke me out. I should mention that I am very sensitive to sunscreens. I'd hope this would work, but it didn't. The only thing I've found I can use is Clarins sunscreens.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2012 4:52:00 AM More reviews by thebobcat64

I got this for $10 off at CVS when they had a special. I had heard great things about the brand, but was disappointed by the greasy finish this left on my face. After using it I would try to set it with powder to give my face a matte finish, but it left it sticky. My brushes were still goopy the next day. If you want to try this I recommend L'Oreal Sublime Sun SPF 50 for face because it has the same ingredient list but was slightly less shiny. I much prefer the La Roche Posay tinted sunblock, which allows me to go without makeup. Also, this product doesn't contain mexoryl, which protects against UVA rays for several hours. I was under the impression that it did when I bought it but it contains cell-ox shield instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by sunnyT31

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The best facial sunscreen I have ever tried. Doesn't irritate my face, doesn't break me out and doesn't make dry patches any worse. I haven't burned using this yet, so I can vouch for the protection. Goes on well under make up but I would recommend wearing your normal moisturiser with it. I really like the texture of this product- a light fluid rather than a traditional cream. It absorbs better than most sunscreens I've tried.
Expensive for such a small bottle but it seems to go a long way. Don't think I'll ever be trying anything else again.

LOVE IT <3

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2012 8:10:00 PM More reviews by anitahsieh

Going on, this sunscreen, feels really matte. Make sure you do not over work it on the skin or else it will flake up. I wear it under my BB creams and foundation, I really enjoyed the feeling of initial application and the mild oil control it gave my complexion. Plus no break outs from this and I am currently on my third bottle. Unfortunately I do not plan to repurchase after I am done because it turns yellow with sweat. In the past two months I started going to the gym wearing this sunscreen under tinted moisturizers and BB creams. After I am done my work outs, I would see that areas where I sweat the most had become yellow (my forehead, upper lip, "side burns", and neck). I;ll reserve this for my 'rest' days I guess.