November 26, 2014 | 1336 users online

Liquid - MAC - Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by Makeup8910

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I went to my local MAC counter expecting to try out Studio Fluid. However, the woman suggested I try Studio Sculpt instead as she says it's fuller coverage and is more suitable for normal/dry skin like mine.

The MA covered my whole face in the foundation and added mineralised powder and blusher.

I was quite impressed with the coverage the foundation. I was quite skeptical about my colour match (NC15) as i've previously been matched as NC15 in Pro Longwear and it was too dark. However it must be lighter in this range as it seemed to suit me better.

Unfortunately this foundation was way, way too dewey for my liking. It was also highly transferrable and I was scared of touching my face as I felt like it would have slid off!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2014 4:39:00 AM More reviews by thenewjess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am onto my second tube of Studio Sculpt foundation and it is an amazing foundation for dry skins who have trouble with other liquid foundations. Typically, powder of liquid foundations tend to go patchy over my dry skin, making me looked rolled in cornflake crumbs. Studio Sculpt however is not like that. It glides on and is so creamy and build-able. I have seem some reviews saying that the cover is way to heavy for them, but for me, I use a 10 cent piece (Australian) sized amount, and this covers my whole face. This amount gives me a medium coverage, but still looks really natural. It makes my skin glow , but not look shiny at all. I have read that sometimes it needs to "dry" before moving onto blush/bronzer, but I don't feel that is true for me personally. I tend to powder my face, but I find the lasting power is still quite good without powdering.

The one thing about this foundation, and a lot of Mac foundations is the colour match. This foundation tends to dry darker than it applies. I first got matched to NC30, which looked great in the store. I walked out of the store and about 30 minutes later my face was soooo much darker than it had been. So yeah the foundation does oxidise a lot. I then went back with my un used purchase and explained my predicament. The girl was great and gave me two samples of, one of NC25 and one of NC20. I then ended up exchanging for NC25 and it is the perfect colour.

Perfect foundation, will continue to use and purchase. One of two of my holy grail foundations (second being Nars Sheer Glow).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by genarod

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't think I've ever put so much effort into trying to love a foundation. I really reallllly tried to make this one work--

As I'm getting closer to 30 I notice my skin is changing. And the full cover matte look (ie old school revlon CS) just doesn't seem to suite my skin anymore.

Since I still have a lot of textural issues from acne scarring, I was afraid to forgo the heavier coverage, but it's very difficult to find a lot of coverage *without* a matte or even powdery finish. In comes mac studio sculpt.

At first glance being a gel based foundation it is deliciously thick coverage. Sort of like a cream foundation such as revlon CS whipped, just not matte. I'd call the finish a solid natural-- not dewy nor matte. And it wears more *natural* as the day goes on and the product blends w the skin.

I usually prefer fingers to blend foundation bc I personally find it to be the most hygienic when working on myself. But that's impossible with studio sculpt. The product is so thick, there is NO way you can use fingers in a way that's affective enough at getting the product to meld into the skin and not look masky.

I found the best method is to use a very dense brush like shi foundation or elf flat top...

You have to use SUCH a tiny bit of this bc a little goes a longgg way.

Pros:
Color does not oxidize (unlike PLW and SFF that oxidize like crazy)
No flashback from what I can tell and looks nice photographed
Hygienic and travel friendly packaging
Generous amount of product

Cons:
If you are not insanely meticulous in applying this just right, it looks like an awkward mask
I feel like this makes me look a bit pale (nc15) and the jump bw nc15 and nc20 is huge.
Creases under eyes like none other. I have to just apply concealer and make sure this foundation is NOWHERE near undereye
IMPOSSIBLE to apply with fingers or in a hurry-- won't look right.
Breaks up around the nose in only a couple of hours
I noticed small clogs/blemishes around nose and cheeks after a few days of consecutive wear
This product NEEDS to be set with powder YET- looks cakey immediately unless a minuscule amount of powder is used (in other words, I reiterate it is difficult to work with...)

I got a sample jar at mac and was able to sample this for an entire month with that alone. THEN a few months later I went back to that same sample (gross I know-- and that might have attributed to the breakouts more than the actual product itself)-- and I sampled the foundation another 3 days again before finally tossing the remainder-- Which I guess is another plus for studio sculpt is that it will last forever bc of how little you need for full coverage.

I really wanted to buy this bc I thought it would be a great winter foundation (very pale shade, heavy coverage, not matte). Unfortunately in the end it's just wayy to temperamental of a product to work with. And honestly most times really doesn't look that great.

The last day I sampled it I was with my husband walking around an outlet (outdoors) and I found myself feeling very self conscious like I was wearing very heavy obvious makeup. I knew it was time to toss.

Oh! And I find this doesn't do any service for lines and pores-- it seems to accentuate mine a great deal. :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2014 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Viesha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for about a year now, and I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet. My skin is dry. This is a creamy foundation that provides medium-to-heavy coverage, while still supplying moisture to drier complexions. It also has an SPF of 15, and that's a must for me. The MAC rep matched me to an NW25, which is what I've stuck with. A little goes a long way, and one tube will last you several months. I apply with my fingers. I always feel polished and put together when I'm wearing it. It dries quickly to a somewhat matte finish, but it's not totally flat. I apply light powder over it, being careful not to overdo it with the powder, or else it will take on mask-like qualities. The coverage is amazing, so whether you have blemishes or not, this is the perfect daily base. The tube is hygenic. The only thing I would suggest is a flip-top cap. I highly recommend to those who want or need a full coverage foundation. I just purchased my 3rd tube today.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2014 8:34:00 AM More reviews by sashsvjet

Over all really good coverage; the consistency was too thick for me. But overall one of the better MAC foundations. I would purchase again. ...Only Con left me oily even though i have dry skin.

I would have liked the colour more if the mixed NC and NW.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2014 9:03:00 AM More reviews by amandamarieee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am very pleased with this foundation.

First of all, it works incredibly well with my dry skin and it looks beautiful, dewy and natural both with a damp sponge/a beauty blender or buffed into the skin with a brush.

It just melts into the skin and gives a very healthy and nice glow to the skin and it also feels quite hydrating. The consistency is thick but is surprisingly easy to work with and then you only need the tiniest amount to go for your whole face. For me, around a squeeze is enough (and even too much sometimes) - a little goes quite a long way with this foundation and therefore, it will probably last you quite a long time since the tube is quite big and as said, you dont need much to make it work at all.

The smell is a little funky but nothing overbearing at all and if you have been using Mac face products before, it probably doesn't surprise you. But rather that than it containing perfume, which can be harmful to the skin.

This foundation can feel a little heavy throughout wearing and it is medium coverage (can definitely be build up to full). But with that said, i dont really mind the feeling of it - its not the lightest feeling foundation ever, but not the thickest/heaviest either. Even though if you do generally really mind the feeling of makeup on your face, maybe this particular foundation wouldn't be very right for you.

This definitely has a dewy finish and im not sure if it would work too well on oily skin, as it is quite glowy, hydrating and it does tend to make you shiny throughout the day - but with a great powder, that can easily be fixed.

This is definitely one of my favorite foundations and i do use it quite regularly. I would happily recommend this to people who has dry to normal skin, looks for a natural glow and medium to full coverage.

All in all, a very wonderful foundation! And i am convinced that i will repurchase this, when i one day run out if it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2014 8:06:00 PM More reviews by homiegee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Finish: satin/dewy
Packaging: squeeze tube
Coverage: medium
Buildability: slight
Transfer Resistant: no

I have always wanted to try this foundation, but I figured my skin was just too oily for a moisturizing gel formula. Over the past couple months, my skin has slowly changed to a more normal, even slightly dry, type from the oil slick that I have always been (THANK HEAVENS). Because I've been slightly drier, I was finally able to try MAC's Studio Sculpt foundation. I've dabbled with their foundations from time to time (studio fix liquid and powder, matchmaster, prolongwear, and studio tech) but have never stuck with one because none have truly wowed me. I liked prolongwear for a while, but kind of got over it. Now, onto Studio Sculpt. I am in love with the finish. It is definitely a satin to dewy finish. If you are regularly on the oily side, you will not like this, even if you use a super matte setting powder. The finish of this foundation always comes through and I actually really love that. I can't stand the sticky feeling of liquid foundation by itself, even after it sets on its own, so powdering is a must for me, but I don't want to ruin the dewy finish. Thankfully, the glow shows through. I use MAC's Select Sheer loose powder to set. The packaging is great. It's in a squeeze tube with a matte black screw cap. Its easy to get the right amount and avoid wasting product that isn't exactly cheap ($37CAN). The blendability is awesome. I use a duo fiber stippling brush and it looks flawless. I do use a silicone based primer with this foundation and that coupled with the gel formula of this foundation gives me a smooth result every time. Coverage amount is pretty subjective, but I would consider this a medium coverage. Minor flaws and redness are covered, but I still feel the need to use concealer on top to completely cover darker marks from past acne and darkness under the eye. Building this foundation works out okay, but not amazingly, so I would not suggest to do that all over your face as it will look heavier on the skin. Stick with a thin layer all over, really blend it in, and then add concealer wherever you need. As far as the shades in this foundation compared to MAC's other foundations, I find they all very slightly. Some run darker, others lighter, so if possible, go in and get matched or match yourself in person. This foundation does transfer slightly, but that's to be expected with any foundation that's on the dewy side with a slight rub on clothing. I find this does last all day on me without separating or fading away. It does fade slightly, but only slightly. I doesn't make me feel that I need to touch up the coverage through the day. Overall, I am really loving this foundation and am excited to put it on because it really does make your skin look natural and radiant, given the coverage and amount you use.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this because it seemed really moisturizing and great for dry skin. It has a very thick cream consistancy, which means its easier to get a cake face going on.

On the face, it has a nice dewey finish that does not cling to dry spots. If you put too much on its noticeable and may feel a little sticky. It transfers easily. It lasts a nice amount of time, at least the whole school day.

Overall, I felt it deserves a 3.5 but rounded up. I do like it for the most part.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 12:46:00 AM More reviews by moonstonebeauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I personally love this foundation, but I can see why some people wouldn't. I have very dry skin and I wear this everyday and it makes my skin look so lovely! It's especially amazing in winter. It has a medium-full coverage depending on application and how much you use, and lasted a full 6-8 hours on me without a primer and without budging :) I've applied it with my fingers, a stippling brush, a buffing brush, and a beauty blender, and I find that a damp beauty blender gives the smoothest, nicest finish but lighter coverage than the other methods, however layering is not a problem so it is my preferred method. It leaves me with a satin finish and lives up to most of the claims MAC has made about it. The plastic squeeze tube is so convenient and looks classy too! I haven't found my HG foundation but this is the closest for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2014 8:40:00 AM More reviews by campbeellsoup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product works well on someone with very little discoloration and imperfections but when I use it, you can still see my redness. When coming out it has little water that squirts out before the foundation, a but like when you squeeze ketchup out, no matter how well you shake it. Does look oily after a few hours.